Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #21
Sharkey
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I know that we mooters are split on our opinions of the movie... parts that were left out, changes, things added, casting... etc.

BUT... weren't the visuals just great?
You said it Valandil. I'm a book man myself, but despite many readings I could never have come up with the shaft of light piercing the dust as it falls on Balin's tomb. And as for the bizarre electric-green explosions when the host passes out of Minas Morgul, that was beyond my reckoning. Catapults in Minas Tirith, etc, there is way too much to list.

However, I thought the actions of the Eye once Frodo claims the ring for his own were weak - maybe there will be more in the EE?

"From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran...The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain...in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgul, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards towards Mount Doom."

Unfortunately it seems that PJ was too busy making up pseudo-drama with Gollum to try to capture this bit on film. A pity, given his visual triumphs elsewhere.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #22
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Boromir's death scene has got to be the best cinematic death scene ive seen. It was so beautiful and the lighting was supurb,especially when the light hits aragorns face and a tear runs down his face when he looks up...wow.

My other favorite is when Faramir is leaving to ride to his death and all the civilians felt so much sorrow...The people of Minas Tirith loved Faramir in the books so I thought the book really shined here. Its like visual poetry...the slow motion,the roses being tosed, the expressions...I love it.
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote