Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2002, 04:44 PM   #21
spidersbane
Hobbit

Thanks for the welcome Bropous.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:56 PM   #22
spidersbane
Hobbit

The general consensus around here (school) seems to be that Legolas is the favorite character, and while he ranks high in my opinion, I would have to say my favorite acted parts were Frodo and Aragorn.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:32 PM   #23
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I would've liked to have had more screen time for Arwen as played by Liv Tyler. But I suspect I am in very small minority. Ah, such is the life of a wandering enting...

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:26 PM   #24
Nenya
Hobbit

I thought Merry and Pippin were great, especially Pippin, who made me laugh.

Sam and Frodo were good.

Orlando Bloom made a VERY sexy legolas (or was that just me?), but I didn't think he or Gimli were portrayed particulalry well...

Saruman, however, wins it in mine opinion, rock on Christopher Lee!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #25
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I think it will be good to see the directors cut, which is supposed to include a lot of extra character development. Hopefully, that will do what the released movie did not with some of them.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #26
ChildofEru
Hobbit

i agree with spiders bane
Legolas is the awsome elf who has wicked moves in battle, making him the favorite of many.
but while my love for all things elven draws me away,
I think Frodo was the best acted character
Old 01-09-2002, 01:32 PM   #27
aldesign
Elven Warrior

To samwise of the shire

WE BRITS DID NOT HAVE GOLLUM FOLLOWING THE BOATS

i thought u might have done.

but now i understand,
watcher in the water = the big octopus thingy.

my bad
i was confused

So u had the same as we did
(no gollum in water)
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #28
Nenya
Hobbit

I do agree that Legolas is an awesome elf, and I would love to be able to fire a bow like that, but I just don't think that his character was developed that well in this film, and the same goes for Gimli. I am hopeful that things will be better in the two towers, because they do more stuff in smaller groups, and I am very much looking forwards to the battle at Helm's Deep...that is their chance to shine, and I hope they do because Legolas is one of my favorite characters in the books.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:20 PM   #29
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Like I said... hopefully the rumours are true about the directors cut including a bunch more character development.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:05 PM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Nope, aldesign, we in the US did not have Gollum following the boats down the Anduin from its junction with the Silverlode to Sarn Gebir.

And welcome to the 'Moot!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:25 PM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I never really connected with any of the characters as much as I did with the books. I thought Pippin and Merry were more clown like in the movie - versus just young and innocent as in the book.

Pippin, Gandalf and Frodo are my favorites in the book. Sam and Frodo are my favorites in the movie.

In terms of the Gollum observations - did anyone notice if Gollum was seen sneaking into Lothlorien. I didn't see him - if he was there. I saw him climbing up the walls in Moria and that was the last time.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:44 PM   #32
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I doubt they showed Gollum in Lothlorien. I know I never noticed. I wish he was there, though. It would make everything so much more interesting. The Gollum in Lothlorien scene was one of the best Gollum scenes in FOTR.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:48 PM   #33
Marille
Hobbit

Gandalf

My favorites were Gandalf, Aragorn and Legolas!
Old 01-10-2002, 02:12 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The more I see the film, the more I lean towards Boromir as my favorite character. I love Gandalf, and Frodo, and Pippin, and Gimli, and Aragorn, and all the rest, but Sean Bean's performance as Boromir just takes the cake. That man is one fine actor. He was greater than the number of his lines, and each and every word he utters is pure magic.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:02 PM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Whoa, it is tough to choose! I, being a fairly average teenage girl, did find Legolas attractive in the movie, but I do like elves in general, and I liked what little of his character they did show. I haven't read the books (I know, I know, I will)...but I also liked Frodo, Aragorn, Sam....it's so hard! Pippin was quite funny, I think he is my favorite hobbit. Hmmm.
I agree with some above posts. Sean Bean did is an excellent actor, and I almost cried when Gandalf and Boromir died.
Oi.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #36
Anise
Sapling

I'm an elf freak... so I have to say Legolas. Even in the books he was one of my favorite characters, however, I just think Orlando Bloom was able to bring so much more to his character than I could ever have hoped possible.

The look on his face when the exit Moria after Gandalf is lost. When the fellowship finds themselves in Lothlorien after the loss of Gandalf... and Legolas admits to not being able to translate the elves singing/lament because it's still too close to him....

Ahhhh that scene...

His movements, his looks, his quientness yet always readiness. He was perfect and has by far won my heart.

Okay, now I sound like a freak... but I was very much impressed with how well Orlando Bloom was able to portray my already favorite character.

BTW, I am new to the forum and would like to say hello to everyone.

Anise
Old 01-10-2002, 10:22 PM   #37
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Strider

I've been reading the books again after the movie and after finishing the books in '93.

It sort of feels like I'm imagining a special edition of LotR in my mind as in the star wars special eds.

I must say the biggest changes in impressions in the "movie in my mind" are pippen then boromir then frodo then the orcs. The rest are either just as i pictured them or did not make too much of an impact on me.

Aside from Pippen's great accented lines, I liked his facial expressions while the suit of armor, chain and bucket makes all that racket.

During that scene, the other guys seem to look quite flat.

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-10-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:32 PM   #38
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

1. Sauron: the most fascinating character because you never actually see him, you never really know him.

2. Galadriel: intimidating Noldo royalty. Wow. Wish I could see Finrod Felagund.

3. Elrond at the Last Alliance.

4. The Nazgul in Bree.

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:32 AM   #39
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Anise and Sauron's Nagging Wife!

SNW: You ain't the only one who wants to see Finrod Felagund! A hearty agreement from this
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO, and love the signature!

I also want to see Hurin, and Fingolfin, who faced that scumbag Morgoth in single combat, and the mighty Finrod, whom only two Balrogs at once could best!
Old 01-11-2002, 01:45 PM   #40
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Thanks. Bropous.

I'd love to see the moment that the Sun rose and the hosts of the Noldor who had crossed the Helcaraxe marched into Mithrim and bearing the proud silver and blue banners followed Fingolfin to challenge the forces of Morgoth at the very gates of Angbad.

Or when Fingolfin hewed off the foot of that idiot Melkor.

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote