Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2004, 12:30 AM   #21
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
it seems as if people either think that pride only is defined by definition 1 or definition 5. Definition 2 is what is used to define pride in a school, state, town, etc.

Aye that's true, but as a general rule I tend not to place much value on that because association only goes skin-deep (unless it is family). I do take pride in the good things about where I am and where I came from, but there is always another side to it that I must deny or of which I am not proud of. So outside of definition 1 I can never really take pride in something 100%. But that doesn't mean that I don't at least take some measure of pride. And what I believe to be right I will defend on the principle of definition 5.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 01-18-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:39 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
Aye that's true, but as a general rule I tend not to place much value on that because association only goes skin-deep (unless it is family). I do take pride in the good things about where I am and where I came from, but there is always another side to it that I must deny or of which I am not proud of. So outside of definition 1 I can never really take pride in something 100%. But that doesn't mean that I don't at least take some measure of pride. And what I believe to be right I will defend on the principle of definition 5.
I have pride in New Jersey - so I can understand school pride - even if I wasn't necessarily full of school pride. To me it was school - although I would have defended it if anyone said anything negtive about it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Radagast: If I may ask - what is the selection criteria for entering Eton?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:51 AM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What do you think about government subsidies for private (fee-paying) schools?

In Canada, only Catholic schools get government funding. I don't think any private school should get any funding.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:57 AM   #25
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

In Canada, only Catholic schools get government funding. I don't think any private school should get any funding.
its up to the province about how much funding schools get. Even then catholic schools get very little government funding. The only real private school i know is Meadowridge and it costs $15000 (i think, it might be less) a year there and you get some families that have more then one kid there. Its not even a boarding school and its taht expensive.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:12 AM   #26
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

I agree with vouchers which leave it up to the parents. They basically decide where they want to send their children and the tax dollars they would have been sending to the public school - allows them to use it send their children somewhere else.

The democrats try to make this out like it's government supporting religious schools - when it isn't. It is giving the parents a choice and if a public school is failing - it should not be propped up by the government - but face market conditions. They have to be more accountable.

The vouchers don't necessarily pay for the whole tuition - they only get the amount of money which would have gone to the public school to use toward any tuition.

Government here in no way supports catholic schools or any religious schools.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-18-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #27
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
So you don't think it's better than the public schools?
No i dont, the facilities are in theory ment to be better, but there really not, most state schools in Edinburgh have the space options for teenagers as the Private ones. BUT that might only be because Edinburgh is the 4th Richest Area in the UK.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #28
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oh, christ... JD has posted his opinion ladies and gents.. better back off and stick the jersey state flag up it's rear.

would someone fly a plane into his house or something

edit:
since he supposedly has me on ignore... because he's supposedly done with me.. lets time him and see how long it take him to reply, eh?

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 01-18-2004 at 10:14 AM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #29
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Radagast: If I may ask - what is the selection criteria for entering Eton?
There are a number of ways of entering Eton:

(This is the way I went in) You are put down on what is called the Eton List at birth- you are then guaranteed a place at Eton so long as you pass favourably through the selection process at 11 and can pass the entrance exam at 13 years old. You must also have a favourable reference from the Headmaster of your prep school.

If you are not on the Eton List you may be put on the House List, and for this you only have to turn up at 11, go through the selection process (interviews etc) favourably and pass the exam at 13.

It is virtually impossible to get a place if you just turn up at 13 and pass the exam. Also, you must obviously be able to pay the fees.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #30
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
oh, christ... JD has posted his opinion ladies and gents.. better back off and stick the jersey state flag up it's rear.

would someone fly a plane into his house or something

edit:
since he supposedly has me on ignore... because he's supposedly done with me.. lets time him and see how long it take him to reply, eh?
LT I never put you on ignore nor did I ever say I put you on ignore - so SCREW OFF!!! I've never put anyone on ignore.

I'll be better than you and refrain from flaming you openly on the board - but clean out your PM box so I can tell you how I REALLY feel about you.

And it's NEW Jersey - not jersey.

Here is the flag - so you have something to look at...

[EDIT] Just because you THINK I have you on ignore - doesn't give you the right to flame me on the board.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-18-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #31
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
There are a number of ways of entering Eton:

(This is the way I went in) You are put down on what is called the Eton List at birth- you are then guaranteed a place at Eton so long as you pass favourably through the selection process at 11 and can pass the entrance exam at 13 years old. You must also have a favourable reference from the Headmaster of your prep school.

If you are not on the Eton List you may be put on the House List, and for this you only have to turn up at 11, go through the selection process (interviews etc) favourably and pass the exam at 13.

It is virtually impossible to get a place if you just turn up at 13 and pass the exam. Also, you must obviously be able to pay the fees.
Of course, there are a number of scholarships.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #32
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
oh, christ... JD has posted his opinion ladies and gents.. better back off and stick the jersey state flag up it's rear. would someone fly a plane into his house or something edit: since he supposedly has me on ignore... because he's supposedly done with me.. lets time him and see how long it take him to reply, eh?
you're bieng unfair dont you think?
everyone is entitled to opinions.
I really dont see the point of your post above...are you trying to get attention?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #33
jerseydevil

LT - I wanted to add that I think your flippant reference to 9/11 "fly a plane into his house" is disgusting. You may think it's a joking matter - but I don't. Nor do the majority of people think it is. 3,000 people died that day in those towers.

Here - take a look at their faces...

AboutTwinTowers.info Memorial

[edit]This has been a public service announcement to LuthienTinuviel. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-18-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:01 PM   #34
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I was saying why I was bringing up people who have pride being stupid - it seemed to be what Ruinel was saying.
Hmmm... if I gave you the impression that I thought it was stupid to have pride in a place, that wasn't my intent at all. My apologies.

What I meant was, that sometimes people put their egos into something. Such as a sports team. Example follows. My sister's husband switches favorite football teams (pro and college) every few years or so depending on who happens to have a good team. He never went to Notre Dame but he claimed for quite some time to be a fan of their football team. Then they started to suck really bad and now he never watches their games anymore. But when they were a winning team, he watched them religiously... centered his whole schedule around the games and such. He would get into such a bad mood when they lost. And he was so obnoxious when they would beat another team. THAT I find ridiculous.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 PM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I know this is somewhat off topic - but I'll add this in here..

By the way Radagast this may also surprise you and many people inside and outside New Jersey, but New Jersey also has a long tradition of Fox Hunting

There are several hunt clubs I believe in northern New Jersey.
GASP!!! IS THAT LEGAL!!!??? How disappointing. I thought the US was more civilized than that. I thought only England was still practicing such barbarism.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
GASP!!! IS THAT LEGAL!!!??? How disappointing. I thought the US was more civilized than that. I thought only England was still practicing such barbarism.
Why is it barbarism - it's hunting. You might notice some in Texas. I know they have hunting there. And of course it's legal - otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to do it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Hmmm... if I gave you the impression that I thought it was stupid to have pride in a place, that wasn't my intent at all. My apologies.

What I meant was, that sometimes people put their egos into something. Such as a sports team. Example follows. My sister's husband switches favorite football teams (pro and college) every few years or so depending on who happens to have a good team. He never went to Notre Dame but he claimed for quite some time to be a fan of their football team. Then they started to suck really bad and now he never watches their games anymore. But when they were a winning team, he watched them religiously... centered his whole schedule around the games and such. He would get into such a bad mood when they lost. And he was so obnoxious when they would beat another team. THAT I find ridiculous.
That's not pride - that's a fair weathered fan. I'm a fan of the Nets and devils because they are new Jersey teams. I don't care if they win or lose - they are our teams. Unless the Nets leave for NY - now that they have been sold and want to build a stadium in brooklyn. If they leave the state - then I will no longer care about them.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #38
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I agree with vouchers which leave it up to the parents. They basically decide where they want to send their children and the tax dollars they would have been sending to the public school - allows them to use it send their children somewhere else.

The democrats try to make this out like it's government supporting religious schools - when it isn't. It is giving the parents a choice and if a public school is failing - it should not be propped up by the government - but face market conditions. They have to be more accountable.

The vouchers don't necessarily pay for the whole tuition - they only get the amount of money which would have gone to the public school to use toward any tuition.

Government here in no way supports catholic schools or any religious schools.
I am totally against government vouchers.

First of all, private and public schools are NOT on the same playing field. Private schools do not have to let any kid in who wants to attend. They do not have to take in severely handicapped children and supply each of those kids with an aid for an entire day. That's a whole person's salary for a school year. The public schools have to do that with the taxes you pay each year.

The problem is, people look at their school taxes as what they presonally are getting out of it from the schools. That's why the Florida government voted to exempt all communities that were for retirees (55 years old and older) from paying school taxes. This is why people want to take the taxes they spend each year on public schools and use it for a private school if they so choose.

But that's not what we pay for. We are paying for the future of this country. A parent who pays taxes each year to the school district because they own property isn't paying for their kid to go to school. They are paying so that all the kids in a community, whether they be smart or mentally handicapped or a regular kid, to get an education.

But people look to the schools for more than what they were intended for. They want them to discipline bad kids, take care of the drug problems, fix the emotional problems, babysit the kids while their parents are at work.

You know, if there's a problem with the local school, why don't the parents volunteer to watch the cafeteria, the playground, tutor kids after school, protest the junk food being sold in the vending machines? Why? Because some parents really don't give a $h!t, and the rest think they know more about educating kids than the teachers who've actually been TRAINED to educate kids, so it screws it up for everyone else who actually COULD do something to fix the damn system.

................ ok... sorry... I got a little carried away.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Why is it barbarism - it's hunting. You might notice some in Texas. I know they have hunting there. And of course it's legal - otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to do it.
It's barbaric.

I think the 'good ole boy' crap here sucks. I don't approve of they type of hunting done mostly here anyway. They feed the deer all year at one location. Then hunting season comes and they sit in a blind waiting for the deer to come by and POW! What they really need to do is give them a knife and a bottle of water and have them track the animal into the wilds and see how successful they really are.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #40
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
That's not pride - that's a fair weathered fan. I'm a fan of the Nets and devils because they are new Jersey teams. I don't care if they win or lose - they are our teams. Unless the Nets leave for NY - now that they have been sold and want to build a stadium in brooklyn. If they leave the state - then I will no longer care about them.
I watch the Astros, because I like baseball. But I'm really mad because they traded Billy Wagner. He was the best closing pitcher in the league. They say "well, we have Dotel" But Dotel SUCKS!!! He's a friggin' hack and a choker! Now they've got these two has-beens from the Yankees. One is 41 years old, for Pete's sake!!! FOURTY-ONE!!! JEEZE!!! He's got one foot in the friggin' grave! I just hope he takes his Geritol before the games.

wow... we're really off topic now