Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #21
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

That's true...I guess I mean that they're not as capable of intellectual reasoning and thinking and so forth as the may have been before the went insane. That's not to say that the gum wrapper doesn't have some kind of significance that Mrs. Longbottom is fixing on...or trying to tell Neville...I don't really know. We won't until the books answer...(gah, the waiting!).

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #22
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbrethil
Reread the book. I beg this entire forum to reread the books! This time retain some of the information in it! I'm in the 10th grade taking advanced courses with a buttload of homework every night and yet still I manage to reread, retain, and succsefully refute this kind of rubbish! I know you people can come with stuff better than this! Quit reading that fanfic crap because for over half of those people the books are far to complex for them.
wow arent you special.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh fim? Pull yer head outta yer ass sometime, and enjoy the sun....
Old 09-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #24
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Soooo smart , but sooo rude....

Last edited by Lizra : 09-16-2004 at 07:42 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Sorry, liz... can't be expected to behave all the time.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #26
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I meant FIMBRETHIL!!!! Not you!

She's been very unkind in several threads. Sapped all the joy out of the prediction game.

Last edited by Lizra : 09-16-2004 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh, well that's alright then.

So I guess it's back to asking fim who died and crawled up her butt.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #28
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

You really need to change your attitude, Fim.
Stop saying other people they need to read HP again, I promise you I read the 4 first books too many times. They're boring now. The fifth just sucks, so I find no reason to read it a third time.

btw, weren't they discussing before Fim's post about why the sorting hat hesitated before chossing in Gyffindor for Neville?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep... that's what I opened the thread for. Not to make character assassinations at those who ostensibly need to re-read the book again. Thanks radykins, for reminding us.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #30
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

You don't forget old jokes, eh, BoP? What does it mean, btw? I always thought it has something to do with pants, for some reason.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

"Radykins"? Pants? Lol. I have no idea what it means... I think it's just a pet name, y'know, like pumpkin, or sweet cheeks, or something.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #32
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Fim, I have read the first four books countless times, at least 10 except maybe the 4th which might be around 7, and I have read the 5th three times and I was planning on reading it again soon. And I go on purely Harry Potter forums every single day, multiple forums, and I talk about Harry Potter a whole lot so pleeeeease don't talk about what you don't know. The books are huge, normal people can't remember every single detail no matter how many times you read them!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbrethil
And that thing...I believe you called it fandom. I call it crap.... Quit reading that fanfic crap because for over half of those people the books are far to complex for them.
First of all, I believe that this is a fandom. So with your own (apparently nonexistent, no matter how smart you say you are) logic you are contributing to the crap that you say is fandom. If you want to see a Harry Potter fandom where people take the books seriously and dicuss it and all, as apparently we don't, go to www.fictionalley.org/fictionalleypark/forums. And have you ever read a fanfic? If you have, they have got to have been bad ones. Because there are some really quality fics on the net. On FictionAlley, there is a forum with 'niffled' fics that are really good and not well known. And also on FictionAlley, read the Draco trilogy (starts with Draco Dormiens) by Cassandra Claire and Eclipse by PhoenixSong before you judge them. [flame deleted by moderator]

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Last edited by Valandil : 09-16-2004 at 06:40 AM.
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:01 AM   #33
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Ahem... this is a warning.

We mods and admins understand that there has been some fighting in various threads of the Harry Potter forum. It has definitely reached the point where we need to step in and stop it. At this point I have only deleted the last sentence of Sirigorn's previous post (and Fimbrethil - it was not a really bad flame, but it was contrary to the spirit of our posting guidelines). I have not read all posts, so I'm definitely not pointing my finger at one person in particular. However, everyone must drop the fighting and get back to discussing Harry Potter topics... understood?

First of all, you should re-read Entmoot's rules about posting. You will find those in a thread at the top of the General Messages forum. If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of us moderators or administrators. To keep it really simple, here are some basic guidelines I'll ask you to follow as well:

1. Do not say unkind things to one another.
2. Keep the discussion about the topic - not about other Entmoot members.
3. Nobody has any business telling someone that they should not read such and such (fanfic, for instance).
4. Nobody should feel the need to tell how many times they have read the books or seen the movies in order to justify posting an opinion (not that you can't share this information - but this is not a contest to see who has read them most often).

Please understand that discussion is encouraged - and that even arguments are OK, just so they remain civil and stick to the subject. Appropriate ways to present arguments are to: (1) give your opinion (2) cite a portion of the book or movie or other bit of information which helped form that opinion ... and (3) explain why the portion you cited led you to, or reinforces that opinion. That may not be the only way to do it, but it gives you something for starters. Note that it does not include telling someone you're talking to about how wrong they are, how [whatever] they are... or what they need to do with their own, or anyone else's posterior.

Now - to move forward, I suggest that if any of you who are active in this forum feel the need to apologize to someone else in the forum, this might be a good time to do so. Also - if you think you have said some unkind things in previous posts, which you now don't think were such a good idea, it might be a good idea to go back and edit those posts. I'm not requiring that you do so though... but I AM requiring that all further posts in this forum be much kinder in spirit.

Further violations will result in such things as PM warnings, deletions of any flames or 'flame-baits'... or even entire posts, and if all else fails, closing of problem threads.

Sorry to have interrupted the flow of THIS thread with this warning... I will likely split it off of the thread before too long, but since this thread seems to contain a little of what I'm talking about, it seemed appropriate to start this here.

Thank you.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 09-16-2004 at 07:03 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #34
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I'm sorry...I guess I get a bit out of hand, but really Fim, I know you said that you don't try to be rude or anything, but really, you are. The only reason I say things like that are that you say things that are totally mean, because obviously as this is a LotR forum, most people are more into LotR than HP, so how are they supposed to know every tiny little detail?

I'm not going to explain what I said, because if you read the entire thread, you would get it (no offense to you, Valandil!)

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #35
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirigorn
...I'm not going to explain what I said, because if you read the entire thread, you would get it (no offense to you, Valandil!)

~Siri~
None taken Sirigorn. As I said, my intent wasn't to single you out... but I just deleted the one sentence in your post because it was just preceding my post.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Fim....Being repeatedly rude, then saying...*I guess some people might think what I say is rude, but if you knew me, you'd realize that's just me, and not be offended*....or something along those lines...is not going to work very well. Maybe (it will work) with people who are very close to you, and love you.... but believe me, if you say things that "could be" construed as rude, most/some people WILL be offended. Count on it!
Please phrase your remarks with care, and save the sarcasm for the school bus chums. I went through the apology thing the first time you were rude and insulting to me, I'm too busy to repeat myself.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #37
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Wow... it started out as a normal thread... Aaaaanayway...

Neville is my favourite character! I think the hesitation surrounding his placement was because the Hat was torn between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. As we have seen on several occasions (like when he fought Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, or when he stood up to Hermione) Neville is extremely brave. He is also kind and at times, timid - good Hufflepuff qualities.

So I can see that the Hat would hesitate between those two, as it did with Harry and Gryffindor and Slytherin. (For Harry, I think this hesitation also represents his self-conflicting nature, if that made sense.)

And wow, Lizra, those were some really amazing insights into Neville! Cool. I bet JKR knows about the anagram, nothing seems to happen by accident in these books.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #38
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Lizra I believe the "apology thing" was between Sirigorn and I. It's my opinion and I won't change it. I do apologize for how I said it. But as I'm sure you all know it's hard to get your mood or tone across over the internet. And Sirigorn I did read the whole post and I do get it.
People are waaaaaay to easily offened. I won't apologize again that I say, unless I completely loss my temper and you see the real rude me.

Nurvingiel I agree with you about Neville.

PS. BeardofPants, if something died how could it then crawl up my butt? I prefer what crawled up your butt and died. (In case you all haven't noticed I don't really care what you say about me...that's whats worng with the wrold today, people care far to much.)
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Are we done? Good, then perhaps we can get back onto topic.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #40
azalea
Long lost mooter

EVERYONE -- stop talking about personal matters and off-topic stuff in the thread.
If ANYONE here needs to say anything else about that topic, or any topic unrelated to Neville, PM the person or persons. Any more off-topic comments and this thread will be closed. I will consider the offender(s) to be in violation of an administrative request, possibly resulting in punitive action. Thank you.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote