Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2000, 03:20 PM   #21
Xivigg

Re: Hmmmm...

Hummmmm

what did i colect ??

In no particular order.

World of Darkness book first and second Eddition only (the third one is *******)

Monty Pyton stuff

ST CCG
Spellfire CCG
ADD 2nd eddition

MERP suplement madde by ICE (those curently out of print)

All other sort of Junk
Old 09-30-2000, 07:32 PM   #22
ArwenUndomiel02

monty python mp3s.....sad, isn't it? Anyone heard the Crunchy Frog skit?

And books, oh boy, lots and lots of books!
Old 10-02-2000, 11:13 AM   #23
Shanamir Duntak

Xivigg IS really collecting monthy python stuff. In fact, it's him who introduced me to them. And he has that big poster of the Pythons and the holy grail in his bedroom. And I'm not sure but I think he now have all their videotapes (Hey, it's hard to find here in Quebec!)
Old 10-05-2000, 03:18 AM   #24
arynetrek

Shan, you finally got a custom title!

i collect feathers, dried flowers (i attempt to dry every flower i get, but some types just don't work...), clothing that can double as Halloween wear on a moment's notice, my own ceramic works, & many many cat hairs.

aryne *
Old 10-05-2000, 04:28 AM   #25
Shanamir Duntak

Yeah... thanx Anduin! At least... and I now collect false drunking memories! :lol:
Old 10-05-2000, 04:57 PM   #26
Xivigg

What is hard to find in Quebec city is english stuff

Cause we frensh people are proud of our language and won't try to learn other in fear of losing the one we have now.

Translation **** hard most of the time

Adn Shan unfortunately i still need Monty Pyton Flying Circus no 7 to 12 but it's 66 $$$ so it will wait
Old 10-05-2000, 05:03 PM   #27
X Rogue

Books, of course, china, mathoms (useful and not) of all types and....DUST!!!
Old 10-13-2000, 06:59 PM   #28
DayStar2002

I also collect names any names doesn't matter i can't stop collecting them!!
Old 10-13-2000, 08:33 PM   #29
Shanamir Duntak

Stoopid giant potato!
You can collect that name if you want!
Old 10-13-2000, 09:52 PM   #30
DayStar2002

thanks a lot!! hehe
Old 10-14-2000, 03:14 PM   #31
SarahStar

I actually truly do collect names and their meanings. It sounds like a collosal waste of time but really it's, well, a very interesting waste of time. :lol: I have 70 names meaing "star", and I even found out that my spelling of "Elisabeth" (with an "s" instead of a "z") is the earlier spelling. "Eli zabeth" became more popular when people started naming their daughters after Queen Elizabeth I. The meanings of names come up in conversation a lot more often than one might expect.
Old 10-14-2000, 03:54 PM   #32
DayStar2002

i collect swahili names with their meanings
Old 10-14-2000, 10:12 PM   #33
dunedain lady

I also like finding out the meanings of people's names. Here's one for your collection: The name Seán is supposed to be spelled with that accent over the a, otherwise it is pronounced as if it were Shana, and means "old woman." "Seán" means the same thing as "John" does, but I've forgotten what it is. Spelled slightly differently, it also can mean "disowned son." (In case you're wondering how I knew all that, I have a language-obsessed friend by that name)

To add to my list of collectable stuff, I also collect Irish blessings. One of my favorites so far is "Here's to your coffin--may it be made from the wood of a hundred-year old oak tree which I shall plant tomorrow"
Old 10-14-2000, 11:04 PM   #34
SarahStar

What language is that from? I'm guessing something Celtic.

John usually means "the Lord has favoured" or sometihng along those lines. It comes from Hebrew, of course. Other forms include Zane, Johna, Ivan, and Hans. I have 39 entries for variations on John. (And that's not including the extra variations in the "variations" column.)

I think I need to get a life. :lol:
Old 10-15-2000, 04:38 AM   #35
Niffiwan

And I forgot to add; I also collect "Choose Your Own Adventure" books (all out of print). I have quite a large collection; over a hundred, and they're really filling the space on my bookshelf, even thought I stack them vertically. I had gotten the habit of collecting them when I was little and I still do now, half of it being a collector's hobby and the other half being that I actually read them.
And I also collect Isaac Asimov's sci-fi books.
I am currently trying very hard to find the whole "lucky star" series (long out of print).
Old 10-15-2000, 12:37 PM   #36
Eruve

Sarah

The spelling of Elisabeth (with an s) is the French spelling.

Here is a page that will interest you if you haven't already seen it:
www.uib.no/People/hnohf/elfnam.htm

You will find the derivation of my screen name on that page among other things.
Old 10-15-2000, 06:28 PM   #37
DayStar2002

Re: Sarah

thanks a lot!! hehe that will add!!
Old 10-15-2000, 07:00 PM   #38
Salli Canaliya

Sure Elisabeth is a French spelling, but I know that is also an English spelling. It's just that Elizabeth became more popular.

I collect bears, those pens that have things floating back and forth (not really intentianally--that's what everyone buys me), and sometimes random thoughts. I didn't know book collecting counted if it was just a particular author and not al hardcover and special. So, I'll have to think about books I collect.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:16 PM   #39
SarahStar

Yes, as Salli pointed out, Elisabeth was also the earlier English spelling. I have looked into this. At the very least, its language of origin is questionable.

If my physics professor notices that I did not spend quite as much time going over my homework for the review session as I should have (which is really a lost cause to begin with), I am going to blame you, Eruve. :lol: (Woohoo! That link was fantastic! Wheels are turning in my head. I think I have a new obsession. Hey, at least I don't have any papers due this week.)

Ooh, I just got an idea for the smaller variation of my signature graphic.
Old 10-15-2000, 08:20 PM   #40
Glorfindel 3018

Here's all the forms of John I know (minus diacritics):

John
Jan
Ian
Eoin
Ivan
Johann
Jean
Sean
Juan
Giovanni
Jack (short for John, and yet not any shorter)

All of these forms for John come from the Latin Iohannus.

John and Jack are of course English. Ian, Eoin, and Sean are Celtic/Gaelic. Jan is either Scandinavian/Germanic or Slavic, I can't remember. Johann is German, Ivan is Russian, Jean is French, Juan Spanish, and Giovanni Italian. There are also several feminine forms:

Joan
Joanna
Johnna
Juana
Juanita

Those are the only feminine forms I know - I'm sure there're more.

As for what I collect, I'm starting a collection of how to say "I don't speak (language)" in many different languages. I put what I've got so far in the topic entitled "Languages". It's a pretty short list right now, but I intend for it to grow.