Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #21
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I think it needs to be understood that The Sil is supposed to be in that "style". It was to be both archaic and fragmentary, seeing that it dealt with a "mystical past". Tolkien himself commented that it would have been unrealistic to suppose that too much stuff survived from his imaginary period of time. Hence, we only get outlines of what actually "happened".

Substance and style go hand in hand with Tolkien.

Substance - the sheer depth of his imaginary world is breathtaking and incomparable, not to mention that it was based from linguistic inspiration, hence most things have "logic" behind them, names, places etc.

Style - for those who find the style "ordinary". Try reading all the hobbit-talk with its sharp wit and then read passages in TTT and RoTR., with its heroic, archaic tone. That takes some doing. Or, how about when you read a passage describing a piece of landscape. Wow! The structure of LoTR is complicated (is this part of Style?) and the attention to detail, right the way across is staggering in terms of the synchronisation.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #22
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Mostly substance, though in subsequent readings, the style is appreciated better.

I agree that the interweaving of style and substance is one of JRRT's great gifts.

e.g.

Quote:
So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-Kingdom when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar
a favourite passage from ROTK, which comes in the middle of a battle sequence. It is hard to imagine any other author with such audacity.

That said, I know many people who've found it unreadable because of the style.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #23
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
Or, how about when you read a passage describing a piece of landscape.
I for one happen to find Tolkien's description of landscapes one of his stylistic weaknesses. His descriptions go on and on and get really dull at times. I know that the imagery he creates is wonderful, but the process of getting there isn't always smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
That said, I know many people who've found it unreadable because of the style.
I hear you! A friend of mine wanted to borrow LOTR, I advised her to read The Hobbit first and I lent her that. A few days later she told me that she found it boring and that she'd rather just start with LOTR. I simply told her that if The Hobbit bored her, she would DIE of boredom if she read LOTR, wouldn't you say?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 AM   #24
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
I for one happen to find Tolkien's description of landscapes one of his stylistic weaknesses. His descriptions go on and on and get really dull at times. I know that the imagery he creates is wonderful, but the process of getting there isn't always smooth

I hear you! A friend of mine wanted to borrow LOTR, I advised her to read The Hobbit first and I lent her that. A few days later she told me that she found it boring and that she'd rather just start with LOTR. I simply told her that if The Hobbit bored her, she would DIE of boredom if she read LOTR, wouldn't you say?
Stylistic weaknesses Any critic worth his job, even if they didn't like LoTR, cannot fault the descriptive elements in the book. It is what singles JRRT out from others: he can actually bring to life his World, not just create any old setting and just carry on with a story.

If people find the attention to detail boring, its probably because they just want a fast-food type book to read rather than enjoy and appreciate A la Carte

As for dying of boredom - HERESY!!! LoTR is one of the few, truly great books that you want to read on and on, enthralled.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #25
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
As for dying of boredom - HERESY!!! LoTR is one of the few, truly great books that you want to read on and on, enthralled.
EASY! I'm a Tolkien fan just as you are
I didn't tell her she'd die of boredom reading Lotr. I told her if she was bored by The Hobbit, she'd die of boredom reading Lotr.
Quote:
Stylistic weaknesses Any critic worth his job, even if they didn't like LoTR, cannot fault the descriptive elements in the book.
That's what I've said:
Quote:
I know that the imagery he creates is wonderful, but the process of getting there isn't always smooth
Old 01-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #26
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, in some ways The Hobbit is the better book (more accessible) and if you don't like it you'll probably hate LoTR.

Do you (all) think that the movies will affect people's attitudes towards the written work? e.g. will they have the patience to plough through it?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #27
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I think one of the reasons at least why Tolkien is so widely read is that his stories have a wide range of subject. If you like action, there's action, if you like romance, there's romance, if you like humor, there's even some of that.
I also think that a big reason people like Tolkien is the fact that his world is so complete, so whole and so encompassing. It is a fairy-tale for grown-ups. It's like Neverland for adults. We can get lost in a whole world. It's a series of amazing stories set in a believeable world: it's not like Cinderella where all the characters are cookie-cuttered- evil step-mother, beautiful girl, prince charming. ME is very real. And there is someone for everyone to identify with- heroic but weak humans; beautiful, sad elves; humble, happy hobbits- even the bad guys are unique characters.
I would say that it's probably the substance that grabs people.

As for Tolkien's style, I think it varies depending on what you're reading. The Hobbit is a lively book, almost written to be read aloud to children. If you can't hear the words in your head while you're reading, however, it does become rather boring. It's a narrative tale, told practically by Bilbo himself. (And, yes, that is what Tolkien was aiming for.)

LotR is a great, epic, almost ensemble piece in its writing. Depending on who we are with, we range from the simple, sometimes overwhelmed feel of the hobbits; the noble, strong but human feel of Aragorn, Faramir, Theoden, Denethor and others; the fragile and proud air of Eowyn; the sadness and wisdom of the elves. All in all it is a very grand book, and either you are swept up by it or you are bored by it. Not for a minute does the writing break down and ask you to believe any of it. It states everything as if it has already happened- it's fact. Believe it or not.

The Sil. Hmm. I read it once, and skipped huge hunks of very boring parts. I think that perhpas Tolkien might have made it a bit better had he published it himself, but as it is it projects antiquity. It's ancient. It's supposed to be boring, I think, like the musty old, forgotten libraries of Minas Tirith; whole lives committed to paper mouldering away to dust while we'd rather read more eventful material. However, parts of it are stirring. It's like reading the 'begets' in the Old Testament (i.e. "Abraham begot Isaac and Isaac begot Jacob and Jacob begot...." and on and on and on and ON. Very boring), and then moving on to the story of Joseph and getting all engrossed in it- and then going back to some more begets. Because it projects such an ancient, sometimes ponderous air, it's that much more believeable.

So oft times it's the style that makes the substance, but really, if we were not already engrossed in the substance of Middle Earth, would half of us have even bothered to struggle through the Sil, or even the Appedices of LotR?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #28
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
So oft times it's the style that makes the substance, but really, if we were not already engrossed in the substance of Middle Earth, would half of us have even bothered to struggle through the Sil, or even the Appedices of LotR?
Beautiful thoughts, RG! You're speaking my language
Old 01-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #29
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
ME is very real. And there is someone for everyone to identify with- heroic but weak humans; beautiful, sad elves; humble, happy hobbits- even the bad guys are unique characters.
Very true. I agree absolutely. There don't seem to be many characters or races in ME that aren't extremely interesting if you dig into them and think about them a bit.

Quote:
The Sil. Hmm. I read it once, and skipped huge hunks of very boring parts.
The only part I skipped of The Sil was Of Beleriand And Its Realms, which I later read most of anyway.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 AM   #30
Ezora
Hobbit

I think it is the story and all the history behind the story, i could go and write a poem as good or better then his in threee minutes, but i could not make up my own language and history behind the language in a lifetime.
lets take it and get out of here, it smells terrible!!!
Legolas:
Ok, now to put my luggage on...
(Legolas puts 10 full backs on the back of the horse)
Gimli:
where am I going to fit! Aragorn said only to take important stuff!
Legolas:
But this stuff is important, These three bags have my manicure things, and these five bags have things for my hair, and these one and a half bags have my perfume and the last half a bag has my food!
Gimli:
Elves.
Ezora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #31
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezora
I think it is the story and all the history behind the story, i could go and write a poem as good or better then his in threee minutes, but i could not make up my own language and history behind the language in a lifetime.
Agreed! And welcome to the Moot, Ezora (Very nice av.)

I had asked a question earlier that no one seems to have seen (or wanted to answer) but I'll ask it again anyway:
Do you think that you'd have reacted differently to a ME written by someone else?
I think that I would have liked LOTR even better. (Not the Sil. though, it's perfect the way it is)
Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #32
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I had asked a question earlier that no one seems to have seen (or wanted to answer) but I'll ask it again anyway:
Do you think that you'd have reacted differently to a ME written by someone else?
I think that I would have liked LOTR even better. (Not the Sil. though, it's perfect the way it is)
I think it is difficult to be hypothetical about this kind of question because nobody has ever come close to matching JRRT's depth of imagination to even create a ME. Plus, not many people could match Tolkien's mastery of languages, which is clearly so evident in LoTR .

Anyway, You probably know what my answer would be

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have reacted differently - I would probably never have developed my passion for Tolkien if I didn't find his style immensely readable.

btw, if someone else DID write LoTR, would we still be asking the same question?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #33
inked
Elf Lord

Beren3000,

See # 16 in this thread!

Durin 1,

Yes! I am surprised that we don't have fields of "scholars" alleging that many persons wrote LotR and dissecting it into tiney bits with editors like J, E, P, D, or even the Shakespearan dissectors (Did Shakespeare write any of his own stuff?)

But, when all is said, NO ONE else could have written LotR.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #34
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
btw, if someone else DID write LoTR, would we still be asking the same question?
THAT is a good question
Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #35
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
It depends on what kind of style you're into. The Hobbit is more of a merry book with less dark thing in it.
LotR is more descriptive and a deeper story with more developed charcters, but not as merry as the Hobbit.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #36
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It depends on what kind of style you're into.
What I meant is that The Hobbit reads much more smoothly than LOTR.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #37
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
No. What that means is that, to the question of 'Style or Substance', I answer 'Yes'.

The Silmarillion isn't even JRR. It's CJR. So you can't base anything on that.
you really are insufferable
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #38
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
No. What that means is that, to the question of 'Style or Substance', I answer 'Yes'.

The Silmarillion isn't even JRR. It's CJR. So you can't base anything on that.
you really are insufferable
But in a funny way. Heh.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #39
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

The way that I think of it is that the style is good, but the substance is great! The style portrays the story in a way that feels historic and realish, and yet is completely readable, but we need the story and the world it takes place in to enjoy LotR.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #40
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I actually really like the style of the Silmarillion.
But, in the end, it's the substance that keeps me reading more and more of Tolkien, because the stories matter to me.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote