FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merenwen Vardamir
Now can I panic about the thread being dead? I wish I knew what to put to start conversation again..... What do you guys think is going to happen in Harry Potter 7? (Or am I not allowed to ask about HP on a LOTR thread? O.O)
You are not allowed to ask about HP in any of the Tolkien forums. There is a HP forum for that. Also, you are not allowed to spam. All threads have a natural course. Some live longer than others. You may not post nonsense for the sole purpose of keeping a thread active. Please discuss the thread topic or do not post.

Please familiarize yourself with Entmoot's posting policies and rules, located at the top of the main page of the General Messages forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #22
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Edit - cross posted with SGH..

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 01-23-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

That's sad. Well.... That didn't help the thread. Lol. I know I'm wondering something, but when I actually get to the computer, I forget. Okay, what happens to the elves after they sail to the un-dieing lands? Do they just kind of exist forever on an island or something?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
That's sad. Well.... That didn't help the thread. Lol. I know I'm wondering something, but when I actually get to the computer, I forget. Okay, what happens to the elves after they sail to the un-dieing lands? Do they just kind of exist forever on an island or something?
Well, your question is somewhat off topic, but to answer it: The Undying lands (Valinor) was removed from the circles of the world. At the end of the Third Age, the Elves sailed to Tol Eressea, which was a large island created by the upheavals of the destruction of the Lamps of the Valar. At one time, Tol Eressea was the easternmost point of the Undying lands and its western shore was bathed in the light of the Two Trees. The Elves die not until the world dies.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenwë Lossëhelin
if there's a Middle Earth...do you think there is a North Earth? or South, East, and West? hmm....i was just thinking about that one day while being bored in school. because thats what i do when im bored...i think about lord of the rings!!!
From the Complete Guide to Middle-earth by Robert Foster:

Quote:
MIDDLE-EARTH-The lands of Arda lying east of Belegaer, extending at least as far south and east as Harad and Rhun. In volume II, #2, page 1 of the Tolkien Journal, Henry Resnick quotes Tolkien as saying: "Middle-earth is Europe". However, this seems to mean only that Europe and the setting of the events in LotRs are related.

Middle-earth in the First and Second Ages included Cuivienen an Hildorien and probably all of the lands north of Beleriand and Eriador as far as Ekkaia. But in the very far east in the Elder Days there were inner seas seperating Middle-earth from something else, perhaps the Empty Lands. In the south there may have been lands which, if they were part of Middle-earth, were ignored by geographers and mariners. The Change of the World at the downfall of Numenor damaged the coasts of Middle-earth but apparently did not alter its boundries.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
At the end of the Third Age, the Elves sailed to Tol Eressea, which was a large island created by the upheavals of the destruction of the Lamps of the Valar.
According to Of Eldamar and the princes of Eldalie, Silmarillion, Ulmo and his servants uprooted an island and used it to bring the the elves to Valinor; when the Teleri "voyagers" were about to reach Eldamar, Osse called them back, missing their presence on the shores of Middle-Earth - and the elves asked Ulmo to stay their voyage. Afterwards, it received the name Tol Eressea, the Lonely Isle.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #27
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
According to Of Eldamar and the princes of Eldalie, Silmarillion, Ulmo and his servants uprooted an island and used it to bring the the elves to Valinor; when the Teleri "voyagers" were about to reach Eldamar, Osse called them back, missing their presence on the shores of Middle-Earth - and the elves asked Ulmo to stay their voyage. Afterwards, it received the name Tol Eressea, the Lonely Isle.
Yes indeedy Landroval.

Quote:
Originally located in the middle of Belegaer, the island was uprooted by Ulmo and brought to the Bay of Balar to transport the Eldar to Aman. On its first mooring, during which the Vanyar and Noldor boarded it, a portion of the island grounded and broke off to form the Isle of Balar.

After conveying the Vanyar and Noldor to Aman, Ulmo returned for the Teleri. During the course of this second voyage Osse begged Ulmo not to take these Elves away from his home in the Sea, and so Ulmo Anchored the island in the Bay of Eldamar, where it received its name.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #28
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

How is it off topic? It's LOTR and 'something I was wondering'. ?.? But, what did they do until the end of the world? It seems like it'd be rather boring....
Old 01-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
How is it off topic? It's LOTR and 'something I was wondering'. ?.? But, what did they do until the end of the world? It seems like it'd be rather boring....
It is off topic because the thread is about Middle-earth geographics, not the Elves and where they went. Because it is LotRs or the Silmarillion doesn't mean you can just talk about whatever involves it. That is why there are different threads, different topics and different forums. Each thread consists of a specific topic. That is what is discussed. Although All topics may pertain to LotRs, discussion is centered on a particular area which is the topic of the opening post.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #30
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

You're so mean. Sorry. Where does it say what thread's discuss which things? I take the Middle Earth part as anything pertaining to Middle Earth.....

Last edited by Merenwen Vardamir : 01-26-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #31
juggernut60
Sapling

ya the middle earth is an amazing place where magical people get together and talk about taking over the world along with those pesky lawn gnomes~
Old 01-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #32
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Quote:
You're so mean. Sorry. Where does it say what thread's discuss which things? I take the Middle Earth part as anything pertaining to Middle Earth.....
Actually, she is right...this forum is for Middle Earth in general. There is a forum for specific LotR books, one for the movies, and (isn't there one more I'm forgetting?)
And HP has it's own forum. It's not sad, really, you'll be able to increase your post count by one if you go post an HP thread asking whatever you asked, if there isn't already one...I don't go to that forum very often. HAven't read the books in years.

Well, for me to stay on-topic,
I don't think there are garden gnomes in Middle Earth. Must be an upper earth thing. *scratches head**blink**nervous twitch**sinister plot*

Last edited by trolls' bane : 01-26-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #33
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Yeah, I know about the HP forum. lol. Thanx though. I was just trying to keep the thread going. But I did technically ask if I was allowed to post HP on LOTR. Now I know I'm not. But I feel bad because I got yelled at. I'm sorry to everyone! Don't de-moot me! Please!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #34
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernut60
ya the middle earth is an amazing place where magical people get together and talk about taking over the world along with those pesky lawn gnomes~
Those Lawn Gnomes are trouble. lol. And now they're working with a band of Sunday Papers. lol.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #35
juggernut60
Sapling

yes sunday morning papers are evil. so back to lotr, who is your favorite character?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

People please stop making nonsense posts and stay on topic. There are other threads that discuss "your favorite characters".

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...ite+characters

This topic is about Middle-earth geography.

Anymore nonsense or off topic posts will result in this thread being closed.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #37
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Apoligies SGH. **Cough-Legolas-Cough** Lol. Sorry. So, what exactly is the topic now?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This is the topic:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenwë Lossëhelin

if there's a Middle Earth...do you think there is a North Earth? or South, East, and West?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #39
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

We already talked about that though...... Can the topic never ever change??
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #40
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh my god - Don't you GET it?? Quit spamming and bugging, just to "keep a thread alive." Do yourself and everyone else here a favour and kindly READ the things SGH has so patiently explained to you here. I KNOW that you must know how a messageboard works.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Closed Thread