Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #21
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Things you were happy NOT to see on the ROTK Trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
You saw Dernhelm?!?!?! I haven't watched that preview- only the one on the DVD, and from that I got the impression that there was not going to be any Dernhelm. I am sooooooo glad that Dernhelm's gonna be in there though!!
Watch the Return of the King Trailer...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/returnoftheking/
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #22
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The Return of the King without Dernhelm would be like the Vatican without the Pope.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #23
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I haven't got quicktime *sob, sob*
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #24
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
I haven't got quicktime *sob, sob*
Then download it, it's only a plugin for the trailers, you can get it straight from that link I posted for the trailer...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 AM   #25
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Are the LOTR movies "film classics?"

Give them a number of years. Only time will tell if any movie will be a classic.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The Return of the King without Dernhelm would be like the Vatican without the Pope.
But something tells me that if PJ had announced he was cutting Dernhelm you would have been behind it all the way.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #27
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
But something tells me that if PJ had announced he was cutting Dernhelm you would have been behind it all the way.
Nope. The Dernhelm scenes are essential to any telling of Tolkien's tale.

I've also heard rumors that PJ may show Sauron in the final battle. I go back and forth on that one. But my gut is telling me that showing the ultimate villain - while essential to most movie climaxes - wouldn't work with the big screen telling of this story. While I readily acknowledge that PJ probably prove me wrong by making it work, my hope is that ROTK will keep Sauron as a behind-the-scenes dark presence.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #28
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I keep looking for my namesake. Elfhelm should be in some scene with Dernhelm. He's the one who knows. Elfhelm should have been with Eomer during the banishment, too. It was Elfhelm who fought through to try to rescue Eodred at the Fords of Isen. He hasn't been in any of the films, yet.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:

I've also heard rumors that PJ may show Sauron in the final battle. I go back and forth on that one. But my gut is telling me that showing the ultimate villain - while essential to most movie climaxes - wouldn't work with the big screen telling of this story. While I readily acknowledge that PJ probably prove me wrong by making it work, my hope is that ROTK will keep Sauron as a behind-the-scenes dark presence.
Well I honestly don't know how they would do that, however I do know that "The Mouth of Sauron" is listed in the cast on imdb.com so maybe that's where this rumor came from

--Linaewen
Old 10-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #30
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

In another great casting move, the Mouth of Sauron is being played by that weasly looking actor with glasses who was in The Road Warrior with Mel Gibson.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #31
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:

You're contradicting yourself. Have you changed your opinion since http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=8409 ?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #32
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
You're contradicting yourself. Have you changed your opinion since (old thread on the subject)?
Yep, I'm guilty of changing my mind as charged. I mentioned I've gone back and forth on this issue. On one hand, I can envision how PJ could do an incredibly exciting and dramatic ending involving Aragorn facing Sauron. But ultimately, I agree with the naysayers who felt it would change the entire feel of the trilogy. Unless PJ shows the Dark Lord in ROTK and proves me and others here wrong, I think Sauron works best as the great unseen dark force.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #33
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Well, he will have to show himself when they make the pre-pre-prequel, that is when Vig and Liv make B&L, the Movie. Of course, there will have to be a lot of foreshortening with the hound - unless they can find an animator to draw Droopy Dog...

ok, I'm sorry, I'll get serious.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:09 AM   #34
Echthelion
Sapling

Yeah, Dernhelm was seen, as was Shelob and the Paths of the Dead, and what appeared to be Eomer cradling someone and crying...most likely the corpse of Theoden following his duel to the death with the Witch King.

I'll post something else later on...though I am sure that someone already posted something about the inaccuracies of "The Two Towers," especially...*Growl*...the feeble attempt at recreating the Last Alliance by sending elven troops to the Hornburg.

That was meant to be a triumph of Men, not of Men and Elves. Elves were too busy fighting off orcs on their own front - was it not Celeborn who drove out the orcs from Lothlorien during that same time? They were too busy themselves! Not to mention Celeborn and Galadriel heading north to Mirkwood, clearing it out and, with a mere gesture, Galadriel (awesome as she is) bares the pits of Dol Guldur.

8,000 year-old elves who have seen the Light of Valinor do NOT giggle like schoolgirls (for more information, read "Gimli's Request of Galadriel in the Extended FOTR DVD").

Ecthelion
Elf-Lord of Gondolin
Echthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #35
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I don't think the turnaround at the Pelennor Fields when Aragorn displays the standard was shown:
"...behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but seven stars above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had born for years beyond count."
__________________________________________________ __

originally by Ecthelion
"the inaccuracies of "The Two Towers," especially...*Growl*...the feeble attempt at recreating the Last Alliance by sending elven troops to the Hornburg."
__________________________________________________ __

Even worse was the way the victory at the Hornburg was portrayed. Instead of the triple squeeze of Theoden's charge (which pushed all the orcs/Dunlendings below the dike and was more then the feeble charge in the movie), Gandalf's and Erkanbrand's charge, and the Huorns mopping things up, you had Eomer leading a cavalry charge [down a far too steep slope for
cavalry].

Hmmm, makes you wonder what PJ would have made of a First
Age battle like the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or the Fall of Gondolin.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 02:34 PM   #36
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Echthelion
and what appeared to be Eomer cradling someone and crying...most likely the corpse of Theoden following his duel to the death with the Witch King.
Or he could be cradling the body of Eowyn, thinking she is dead...

Also, this isn't the thread to discuss The Two Towers...

--Linaewen