Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think there's an old black and white movie about El Cid (sp?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #22
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

* waves to Rian in passing *

IIRC, it was glorious technicolor, with Charlton Heston strutting his mighty stuff
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #23
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

El cid... good movie to watch late at night ...
Old 05-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #24
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think there's an old black and white movie about El Cid (sp?)

Actually it's a Cinemascope picture with Charleton Heston, I believe.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*waves back at the Gaffer*

I haven't even seen it - I just have faint memories of being home sick from school one day years ago, and seeing the tail end of some movie, and it was really sad, and they were saying "El Cid!"

I don't know about you guys, but over here, all the video stores are switching to DVD's and getting rid of their VHS stock. The good thing is that I like DVD's better than VHS, but the bad thing is that they don't carry all the good old movies on DVD I'm afraid lots of the old gems will be lost to us forever.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #26
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

you can still buy videos over here, dvd's are still not as common, certainly where i live
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:01 AM   #27
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A major video chain, Blockbuster, has already drastically reduced the number of VHS titles they carry and have increased DVD's. Many of the "oldies but goodies' will be lost in this transition. On the other hand, some good bargains can be found as they sell used VHS at very good prices.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #28
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

It's different where I live Chrys. DVDs are certainly more common. Although we still have VHS's being sold, there are no where near as many as there are DVDs.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #29
Beor
founder of the color blue

I just went and saw kingdom of heaven last night, and I must say, I am impressed. It was extremely good and I definitely recommend it (whatever weight that carries ).
Old 05-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #30
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It's different where I live Chrys. DVDs are certainly more common. Although we still have VHS's being sold, there are no where near as many as there are DVDs.
brisssle = big city
bridgy = small town

Old 05-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #31
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I saw it last night.

Not bad, really. I'm not quite sure how historically accurate it was (most of my knowledge of the Crusades is Richard the Lion Hearted era, this was set right before that), but I'm pretty sure it was a better take on history than say, Alexander (which I did not see but I've heard bad things). Orlando Bloom still has traces of "Legolas" in his acting, but it's getting much better. More emotion in this role . I did get a feeling of de ja vu a few times. He's a blacksmith in this movie, and there were trebuchets. That actually made me laugh.

Both the Muslims and Christians had their goodies and baddies. I think the characters, regardless of religion, were shown as human, although you did have your rather archetypal "bad guy traitor" in the Queen's husband and the red headed man (I've forgotten their names).

I'm rather tired so I'm not going to elaborate much more. It was an enjoyable film but I don't think it'll make my top five for 2005. Probably top 10.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #32
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

It was ok. Nothing fantastic but not bad. Definitely give it a look. Im no Bloom hater. He has his roles. But this wasnt one of them in my opinion. Just could never take him seriously unfortunately because he was supposed to be this incredibly charasmatic and knowlegdable folk hero and it didnt work for me so I was dubious through the whole movie because of that. And that sucked. I tried! I swear! They should have gotten a Russel Crow type for the role. Bloom just didnt fit really. He came off as an angsty brooding dark young rebel for the first portion of the movie before you realize thats just him trying to act like a noble troubled soul. And by then its too late! You need to speak more Orlando!! We cant get such a complex and subtle character persona from you by simply looking moderately disafected and going whole scenes with barely three words from you!!

Also thought the first full hour or so of the movie was much too plodding. I dont mine non action scenes of course (dont get your hopes up if yer looking for constant hack and slash action from this film) but so much of the first 1/3 of the movie really seemed constantly transitional with forced and truncated explanatin scenes that didnt really entertain. Wasnt until they actually get to Jerusalem that things got more entertaining.

The dude who played Selahedin in the movie was awsome. Ive been waiting for an epic film about Selahedin to come out in our culture. His is such a compelling story. hes considered really the ultimate folk hero of so many muslims. Im keenly interested in how this movie comes accross in the mideast. Basically you had the good christians and the bad christians. And the muslims are almost always portrayed as basically noble level headed decent folk who were just responding to the given situation and in a way where you couldnt really blame them although sometimes extremelly brutally. In other words they came off pretty well. Especially Selahedin who shows mutual respect for Blooms character because of his devotion and military ability (which came out of the clear blue...).

Liam Neeson was of course a treat. And was that James Cosmo who played the half nuts crusader that did all the horrible stuff to the saracins? He was excellent I thought. Very complex character.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #33
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
A major video chain, Blockbuster, has already drastically reduced the number of VHS titles they carry and have increased DVD's. Many of the "oldies but goodies' will be lost in this transition. On the other hand, some good bargains can be found as they sell used VHS at very good prices.
Yeah, I was talking about Blockbuster. By the time I realized that they were selling off their VHS tapes, the ones I would have bought were gone Now I have no idea how I can see them again, or show them to my kids... I'll have to do some research.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #34
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, check out Columbia House video club and do a Google for specific videos; it usually will come up with discounted sites.

Last edited by Spock : 05-09-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #35
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
The dude who played Selahedin in the movie was awsome.
Speaking of which, remember the guy who told him "with this kind of attitude you won't be king for long." ? He's an Egyptian actor and although I don't know the guy who played Salah-el-deen (that's how it's pronounced if anyone's interested) but I suspect that he's an Arab, too.

Last edited by Beren3000 : 05-11-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #36
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

The name of the guy that played Saladin is Ghassan Massoud, but IMDB has nothing else about him.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:43 AM   #37
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR
The dude who played Selahedin in the movie was awsome
to add to what khamul said, he is also a renowned scholar of Selahedin, and the period generally, so one would assume it is an accurate portrayal
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #38
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Kingdom of Heaven Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Speaking of which, remember the guy who told him "with this kind of attitude you won't be king for long." ? He's an Egyptian actor and although I don't know the guy who played Salah-el-deen (that's how it's pronounced if anyone's interested) but I suspect that he's an Arab, too.

The actor who played "Imad" was born Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig El Abderahman El Mohammed Ahmed El Abdel Karim El Mahdi on November 21, 1965, in the Sudan. He first used the name "Siddig El Fadil" and then changed his name to Alexander Siddig.
Syrian actor Ghassan Massoud played Saladin. (yep spelled that way in the credits and pronounced the same way)

Last edited by Spock : 05-11-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #39
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I... am... trying... to... tear... my... eyes... from... spoilers!

I hope to see this movie this afternoon. I HOPE! I really want to see it (I'll go broke in the process, but... who cares?)
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #40
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Yep, check out Columbia House video club and do a Google for specific videos; it usually will come up with discounted sites.
thanks, I'll try that