Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #21
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Lol, didn't read it properly. Brussels could still be on the list though - it seemed like a good city for expatriates to me. Good beer prices
I hear all the MEPs seem to like it
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #22
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Vancouver was ranked? Yea us! The city of Vancouver is beautifully built, very culturally diverse, has great natural beauty and many sporting opportunities. However, I think we need to do more for social welfare. It is a wonderful place to live.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #23
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

OMG! Val you are actually trying to compare NY pizza to that Chicago deep dish crap? SACRILEGE!!! I will let you slide since you are from Chicago. However, I am even more disappointed in brownjenkins saying they are neck and neck, and being from NY and an East Coaster. Shame on you! Bad bad bad brownjenkins!

'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 PM   #24
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Best cities to travel to (2003 rankings)

1 Sydney 87.62
2 Florence 87.14
3 Bangkok 87.11
4 Rome 86.64
5 Cape Town 84.88
6 New York 84.67
7 San Francisco 83.86
8 Venice 83.23
9 Istanbul 83.18
10 Santa Fe 83.08

Top 5 cities for food (2003)

1. New York City (93.97)
2. New Orleans (93.56)
3. San Francisco (93.18)
4. Paris (91.33)
5. Rome (89.25)

According to this listing, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA is number 10. It's a beautiful city in a breathtaking setting, full of the history and lore of the Old West. There are also more galleries and artists there than amost anywhere else on the planet. The shops and boutiques are Nirvana for independent shopaholics (those who eschew shopping malls) and the climate in the mountains of the high desert is ideal. My dad lives in Albuquerque, which is about 70 miles away, and Albuquerque is pretty great, too.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Winterland with two feet of snow on the ground, freezing rain and road salt corroding my new car.

My two cents on the Great Pizza Debate -- Chicago, hands down.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #25
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
1. London

2. Gothenburg
3. Stockholm
4. Helsingör
5. Helsingborg
6. Kristianstad
7. Lund
8. Västerås
9. Enköping
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #26
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Wow! I was very surprised when I saw Helsinki on number 13! *very satisfied*
And I love Stockholm. But I'm not supposed to say that, as a finn. But it's a fact.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #27
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Troy, AL isn't on the list. Big surprise there.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:54 PM   #28
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil

(EDIT: PS Lin, is that like an Australian group ranking those cities? And howscum Chicago was not properly and prominently mentioned? In fact, yous gots to go a long ways down your list to see any American city... and the first one shown is way out in Haw-wah-yah! What's up widdat??? )
What's up wid da way yer talkin'?
No, as GrayMouser has already pointed out, it was ranked by the Economist Intelligence Unit. That is just an article from the Herald Sun website. (The Herald Sun is the most prominent Australian newspaper, from Melbourne. It's a news pictorial and more popular than The Age, though the latter has the reputation of being more informative). I heard about it on the radio news yesterday morning.

Quote:
I've never been to Australia, so it looks like I'm missing out on five of the best cities in the world...
Best cities to live in, not necessarily to visit, probably largely because it's not that expensive to live here. The other cities mentioned are nice enough, I guess. Adelaide has the reputation for being a city of churches and Perth is so far away, it's far smaller than Melbourne. Brisbane is beautiful though! You must go to Brisbane if you visit Australia! Anyone been there? Surfers Paradise...*drool*
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #29
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Re: Best City in the World

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Once again, Melbourne has been named (one of) the best cities in the world to live in. Despite being infamous for the '4 (Australian) seasons in a Day' weather, we still came out on top with Vancouver and Vienna.
It's not really the "best cities to live in" - it's the "best cities for expatriates to live in" and since it's the Sun - I assume it's British.

Quote:
Melbourne has been ranked by the Economist Intelligence Unit the best city in the world for expatriates to live in
Quote:

Has anyone else been to/lived in any of the other ranked cities? Do you think they are worthy of their ranking? My city of course deserves its title, as I've constantly reminded people how much better it is than Sydney. Good to see a lot of the other Australia capitals; Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, are ranked in the top 15 too. Go Australia!
It would make sense that either european or cities that make up the british Empire - would be the ones british people would prefer to live.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #30
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Re: Re: Best City in the World

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It would make sense that either european or cities that make up the british Empire - would be the ones british people would prefer to live.
So you think it's biased?

Would you British people nowadays prefer to reside in a city in Australia than one in the US because we're part of the Commonwealth? Does it really make a difference? Because I don't think I'd think more highly of a British city simply because we're a 'colony'.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
So you think it's biased?

Would you British people nowadays prefer to reside in a city in Australia than one in the US because we're part of the Commonwealth? Does it really make a difference? Because I don't think I'd think more highly of a British city simply because we're a 'colony'.
I don't think it's biased - I just think that it is human nature to want tor live where one feels at home - this entails having similar political systems, laws, government, etc. Australia and Canada are much more like Britain than the US is.

[EDIT]What I meant by "it's British" - I was just saying that they must mean British expatriates when they say "expatriates".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-06-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 PM   #32
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Vancouver was ranked? Yea us! The city of Vancouver is beautifully built, very culturally diverse, has great natural beauty and many sporting opportunities. However, I think we need to do more for social welfare. It is a wonderful place to live.
Yay for Vancouver! You forgot to mention the sushi. I'm not actually very partial to it (even the cooked stuff), but I'm told that it is fantastic.

Random factoid: V. is also home to the oldest sikh temple on the North American continent.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #33
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Yes, vancouvers number 2. I live in the suberbs, do they include that as being part of Vancouver and other cities? one thing i dont get is how did toronto make the list, the city sucks . I liked montreal when i went there last year, i miss the lebanese(sp) food

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes

Last edited by gollum9630 : 02-06-2004 at 10:11 PM.
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:37 AM   #34
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't think the suburbs are included, Surrey, Richmond, Maple Ridge, Abbotsford, Langley, and New Westminister are all cities in their own right. Though, it's all referred to as Greater Vancouver.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:59 AM   #35
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I don't think the suburbs are included, Surrey, Richmond, Maple Ridge, Abbotsford, Langley, and New Westminister are all cities in their own right. Though, it's all referred to as Greater Vancouver.
Are they really city-cities or just those areas of a city also called cities? We have lots of cities in Melbourne too, like the City of Kingston (where I live, but that's not a suburb, it's a group of suburbs). And that's not even an electorate (ours is Hotham), it's a 'city'.

We have a suburb called Richmond too! Nice having cities/towns with the same names.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #36
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

the one thing i like about vancouver is probably just goin for the fireworks in the summer. but other then that vancouver seems to busy. cant believe melbourne beat us out though
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #37
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

*pops in*

Did you know that Norway as been ranked the best and richest country to live in, just before Sweden?
Old 02-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Did you know that Norway as been ranked the best and richest country to live in, just before Sweden?
Scandinavia rules.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #39
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
OMG! Val you are actually trying to compare NY pizza to that Chicago deep dish crap? SACRILEGE!!! I will let you slide since you are from Chicago. However, I am even more disappointed in brownjenkins saying they are neck and neck, and being from NY and an East Coaster. Shame on you! Bad bad bad brownjenkins!
I agree 100%. Nothing beats New Jersey pizza. My cousins didn't realize how good the pizza i here until I took them to the Midwest - including Chicago to Uno's. I hate Uno's in Chicago. I like the chain Uno's places - but the service sucks at Uno's in Chicago. But while I'm in NJ I will only eat NJ pizza.

[EDIT] Of course nothing beats my homemade pizza from scratch made on a pizza stone.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, what kind of pizza are we talking here? Thin and crispy? Cheesey?