Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2004, 07:06 AM   #21
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
One unfortunate thing too is that anytime terrorists are successful with having their demands granted when they take hostages, what does that do? It encourages more terrorists to take hostages.

This will sound quite cruel, but is it your duty, if you're a world leader, to consider those who are taken hostage as dead already? Then you do what you have to do - and if you can save some, all the better? It would be awful for those who are hostages that day, but does it save everyone else from greater likelihood of being made a hostage?

Please note that I'm not convinced of this nor advocating it... I just raise the question.

I agree. People are going to die either way. You cant give them what they want, they will keep asking.
The British SAS have the right idea. They contend that the terrorists are going to die anyway, via suicide or assault, so killed 'em fast and save as many as you can. If half die, then, sadly but truthfully, half have been saved. Its a lose lose situation, the question is, how many can you save?

Damn the terrorists, and I hope the russian special forces kill them all.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:19 AM   #22
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I cannot disagree more. I'm all for trying to save as many lives as possible now, in the present situation, even the lives of the terrorists, and not think about what may happen later.

Save the hostages. Damn the terrorists yes, but kill them not if it can be avoided.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #23
Draken
Elf Lord

Call me pessimistic, but I always get worried when an army calls up armoured vehicles for a hostage situation.

Can't see a happy ending to this one I'm afraid.

As to the SAS approach (or that of any similar Western unit, I'd imagine), they don't set the policy, they enact it. The usual approach would be to negotiate so long as there is any hope of a peaceful outcome. What usually triggers a military response is confirmation of the first hostage being killed. And when the hostage takers are suspected of being able to trigger explosives, there would be very little prospect of time being wasted in accepting any attempted surrenders.

How adept the Russian forces are in this situation isn't clear - their track record to date isn't encouraging.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:11 AM   #24
Draken
Elf Lord

Update

The school has been stormed it seems - very confused reports of many injured.

....or am I?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #25
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken
Call me pessimistic, but I always get worried when an army calls up armoured vehicles for a hostage situation.

Can't see a happy ending to this one I'm afraid.

As to the SAS approach (or that of any similar Western unit, I'd imagine), they don't set the policy, they enact it. The usual approach would be to negotiate so long as there is any hope of a peaceful outcome. What usually triggers a military response is confirmation of the first hostage being killed. And when the hostage takers are suspected of being able to trigger explosives, there would be very little prospect of time being wasted in accepting any attempted surrenders.

How adept the Russian forces are in this situation isn't clear - their track record to date isn't encouraging.
About the SAS, your bang on the money, and it seems you know your stuff. Once a single hostage has been killed, they go in.

But the thing about explosives strapped to their chests; the SAS (slash, any modern western counter-terrorist unit), train for this eventuality. At Princes Gate in the early eighties, they stormed an embassy held by ten odd terrorists, holding 30 odd hostages, and killed them all. The terrorists had radio triggers to a bomb in the embassy. They have their ways to circumvent the problem.

And if what I am reading is correct, (at the time of post), the russians killed five terrorists, lost four children, but saved TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CHILDREN. Bloody bravo gentlemen. Bravo.

oh if that aint worth a smile, what is?

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 09-04-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Fenir_LacDanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #26
Draken
Elf Lord

Yep they have all sorts of grenades that can totally stun you for a few vital seconds.

I hope the figures are right - but let's wait a while yet. It might take some time before we get an accurate picture of what happened.

....or am I?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #27
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Sounds like it's all been coming down the last several hours. Here's some of what I've read:

It looks like there may have even been as many as 1500 hostages in total. They were being held without food or water.

There are about 100 dead bodies in the gymnasium - the roof partially collapsed, likely due to an explosion. There were more bodies in other parts of the building.

Saw a headline that 350 have been taken to a hospital.

Five captors are dead... possibly 13 have escaped to hole up in a neighboring building - where they are now surrounded.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #28
Valandil

Just read how the fighting started: Several children were trying to escape and the captors started shooting at them and chasing them. The troops responded by firing back... and must have known that they had to make their move then, or all inside were doomed.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #29
Valandil

Those hostages that were released before the fighting started: my wife heard a report that parents were allowed in to take a child, but had to chose which child to take out and which to leave behind.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #30
Valandil

Not sure if it's over yet or not. Just read there were something like 40 terrorists involved. That once the fighting began, they split into 3 groups - 5 people staying behind to cover the escape of the others (wonder if those were the first 5 confirmed dead?), some trying to outright escape and others trying to blend in with the hostages... I'd think the latter would be quickly turned in / discovered.

Sounds like there may still be some in a building on the school grounds. Also they may still have some hostages. Hard to tell - the reports haven't had time to sort everything out yet, I imagine.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #31
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

There is a report here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624024.stm
that is the latest news that I've recieved.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 09-03-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 PM   #32
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I was watching this last night as happened live on cnn.... but it was just horrible, both the acts of terrorism, AND the media frenzy.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

But I think that they had to storm the building in the end. I mena there was aparantly 1500 hostages in there, they couldn't stand by and watch.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Eh? Did I say that they shouldn't've?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #35
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Last I heard there were only 75 dead...or perhaps it was 75 children. Or perhaps I misinterpreted something. Perhaps it was old news. Whatever the case this is an incredible tragedy. And the worst is, this is only one of many tragic incidents lately...

Last edited by Falagar : 09-03-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #36
Hawklan
Enting

What kind of world do we live in ? I really do despair sometimes. Those poor children and their poor parents ...how can terrorists of this ilk live with themselves...to a certain extent, military and political targets I can understand ( but not agree with ) but not kids..never kids. My thoughts and love go to the victims and their families..I really cant understand the world today, I really do despair.
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #37
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

There is an organization which is taking donations for the victims of this barbaric act. I have placed a banner on my Twin Towers Memorial website so I can take donations for them. Usually my website gets a huge spike in visitors at this time. I found organization on the main page of the Russian Embassy website - so I am assuming they are legitimate. I was planning on writing a letter of support to Russia - and felt this might help more. I will most likely still write a letter though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-04-2004 at 03:31 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:56 AM   #38
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Primary reason for the Second Chechian War was that Yeltsin wanted to consolidate his powerbase and with this war direct the Russian people's eyes elsewhere. And the Russians, of course, didn't want Great Russia to break up in small clan-lead pieces by letting Chechya get it's independence.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:51 AM   #39
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I feel very shocked with all this... It has been terrible. It seems that there are no stop for the atrocities we're seeing these las t years. Are we never going to learn?
Old 09-04-2004, 05:11 AM   #40
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
There's no WE about (that is if we're still discussing the Russian's vs Chechian's behaviour).

It is the Russian Government which is the root cause of this conflict.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote