Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 01:35 AM   #21
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i've only seen it once, so far which was on the opening day (boxing day in aust.). firstly, my left ear drum burst on christmas day. that was... excrutiating. my hearing was mong all through the movie secondly, since we were first in line for the movie (i insisted on being an hour early... AT LEAST!) we had front row seat on the bolcony. bad move. i'm almost as a short as a hobbit so i couldn't see the bottom of the screen. after the movie my brother was talking about the subtitles (when they're conversing in elvish). i was like "there were subtitles?"

after the movie i heard some girl say "that was the worst ending i've ever seen!" i felt like slapping her and saying "that's cuz the story ain't finished yet!" *sigh*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:49 AM   #22
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I'm beginning to think that a large number of people go to the cinema for general escapism, not the specific escapism I used to think they did it for.

These people will go and see anything as it's simply 'something to do'.

These are quite likely the people who will gain nothing from the film and come out with the rubbish we've all overheard.

I've noticed two types in particular that annoy me:

1) Parents taking kids as it's easier to do than look after the kids properly ('we're in the cinema so sit down and shut up'!). Kids will probably be noisy and fidgety as they don't want to be there. Parents ignore them.

2) Drunks. Last showing I went to was 11pm. UK laws, that's closing time at the pub. So from 11 to 11.30 there was a steady trickle of not so steady people staggering to seats. Only to get up every 15 minutes to go to the bathroom Remarkably enough, most were quite. I assume they fell asleep halfway through the film!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:12 AM   #23
anduin
Entwife

Last night I had a kid and his mother behind me that talked the entire way through the movie. His mother had obviously not read the book ("does he not have shoes on?!!")and her son was giving her much needed commentary (his opinion, not mine). I can understand two children discussing the book during the movie....they might not realize how loud they are or that they are being disruptive (as is the most likely case) but adults should know better. I mean, how many times must someone turn around and give a dirty look before someone gets the hint?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:04 PM   #24
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A well-placed cup with about two inches of beer in it usually does the trick...

You know, anduin, I can't understadn it either....why are people so afraid to lean over and whisper in someone's ear? It's like people now think they have a right to speak in a conversational tone during a film [or, even louder]. then, when someone expresses their right to hear a film for which they paid admission, the miscreants feel they can attack said person. Too many Orcs and too few Elves i nthis world, dear friends....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 03:26 AM   #25
mirrille
Elven Warrior

My friend told me how his parents asked him to take them to see LOTR. Of course, this is a good thing because they don't know anything about the book and it's great to introduce people it the story.

His parents are a little bit English-as-a-second-language. They know nothing about "standard" western fantasy. Seems like he didn't bargain for that.

Through the movie:

Q: How come those people are so short?
A: ...They're hobbits. They're supposed to be short.
Q: Why?
A:...Because hobbits are supposed to be short. sigh...

Later...

my personal favourite-
Q: What's that thing following them?
A: That's Gollum. He's following them because he wants the ring.
Q: Why don't they just give him the ring, and then he won't follow him?
A: Argh! It doesn't work that way! *sigh...

Poor guy. Having to deal this those questions and people glaring at him too...
I'm glad my dad is a Tolkien fan.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:54 AM   #26
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Strider

A friend of mine said she thought it was a horror story. After a week he decided to watch because her other circle kept talking about it and she got wind of its 3 week standing at the box office.

Then she sends me a message on my handphone asking about the movie because she fell asleep....

I feel sorry for her, though...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:09 AM   #27
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

my viewing was with my mum and older sibs (they're both tolkien fans). my mother has never read tolkien - in fact she reads books titles "developing the leader within you" and "you can do it!" and "how to win friends and influence people"... *sigh*

i nearly cried after what she said at the end of the movie...
"they should have had mel gibson in it."

luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 05:25 AM   #28
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

At least she didn't ask you why Dumbledore died

I almost rolled down the aisle laughing

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-16-2002, 12:45 AM   #29
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Mel Gibson?

Well...I suppose we could let him be an orc or something to keep him happy.
Yeesh! I mean, we have all those cute hobbits. We have Orlando Bloom. We have Sean Bean and Viggo. We have plenty to look at. Why spoil it by putting in someone like Mel Gibson? Well, there's no accounting for taste.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:06 AM   #30
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Strider

Hmmm...Mel Gibson as an Orc.....

Grishnakh :"Ugluk, where are ya goen?"

Uglukh: "Ta peck a foight"

Uglukh: I see hundreds of my fellow orcs and uruk hai in front
of fangorn....trying to go to Isengard...well ya foight!"

Grishnakh: "No, we wull run, and we wull lev"

Uglukh: "Aye, run and you'll lev, foight, and you may die...
but luying in yourrr holes en morrrdorrr many years
frrom now...

Would you be wulleng.. ta trade all the days from

thes day ta that...

For one chance...JUST ONE CHANCE!

Ta tell our enemies...ya can take our lives

but you wull never take.... OUR HOBBITS!!!!!"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-18-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:10 AM   #31
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Meanwhile...the guy next to me jumped SO HIGH when the Orcs came..that was hilarious!!! I was bawling when Gandalf "died" and all of a sudden when EVERYTHING was really quiet I let out this big *SOB* which set my best friend laughing at me!!!
We never had any.."is that the end" but we did have a couple of "oooh..." and "oh man!!! I thought this finishes" but my personal favourite was from a guy who came up to me and said "I know your sad sweetie...don't worry...the ring becomes good in the end!!!"
I was a little confused until I realised that he was tipsy cause he fell down the stairs!!!!
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:04 AM   #32
Gerbil
Elf Lord

That's the one good thing about having seen it numerous times - I don't jump at the jumpy bits.
For some reason in films I am #1 candidate for leaping out of my seat at the slightest shock tactic. I hate it
Old 01-18-2002, 03:31 PM   #33
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
That's the one good thing about having seen it numerous times - I don't jump at the jumpy bits.
For some reason in films I am #1 candidate for leaping out of my seat at the slightest shock tactic. I hate it
I almost laughed, when all people jumped when Bilbo tried to take the Ring from Frodo. I had guessed before, that it would had been made like that. And I could tell later on to my friends "Told ya!"
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:16 AM   #34
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightice

I almost laughed, when all people jumped when Bilbo tried to take the Ring from Frodo. I had guessed before, that it would had been made like that. And I could tell later on to my friends "Told ya!"
Hey...I was one of the people that jumped real high!!!! It scared the **** out of me!!! Especially cause his face went strange!!! I didn't scream...but my friend did!!! I LOVED IT!!!
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 02:46 AM   #35
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Oh dear, these horror stories are hilarious! I've seen the movie 3 times, and want to go back for more. 2 of the times i went, it was a wonderful movie viewing experience, and one time, we got there late, and had 3rd row seats, so you can imagine...

Anyways, i just wanted to share my friends horror story. The first time she went, she had to sit behind these drunk guys, and every single time the camera panned to Arwen, EVERY SINGLE TIME, romantic parts, action parts, every time, they would throw their arms up in the air, pointing at the screen, and yell, LIV TYLER ROOOOOOLS!!!!! completely ruining the mood...
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 04:19 PM   #36
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
When I saw the movie for the first time there were these two airhead teenage girls (no offense intended to my fellow teenage girls out there, but these two were real airheads) who spent the intire movie gossiping about their boyfriends, and throwing popcorn at my hair, trying to get the popcorn stuck there, i think. At the end of the movie they said, "What? it ends there? man, that was pointless." My dad and I, who are both devoted Tolkien fans, and were by then quite sick of being bombarded with popcorn, turned around and said, "It's part one of a trilogy," as nicely as we could . . . which I wouldn't garantee was nicely, as we were thoroughly mad at them . . . needless to say, we went and saw it again later, minus the obnoxious vally-girl mallrats.
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #37
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Luthien Tinuviel and Laurelyn...

I just don't get whatever happened to manners at the movie. Probably went the same way of politeness at the grocery store, courtesy on the road, and the probably mythical "kindness of strangers"....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:53 PM   #38
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Thank you bropous! I know, altho i had pretty good movie viewing experiences, the second time i went, (the one that wasn't the best) These really fat people get getting up, and wlaking past me and my friends during the movie, to go get food or whatever, and kept doing it, and then this child kept talking to his mother in the front row, so thats the most horrific tale i have.
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:09 PM   #39
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Thanx, bropous. . . I feel welcomed . . . :-)

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:15 PM   #40
Gerbil
Elf Lord

RE: Luthien Tinuviel's post

Oh well, yet another reason to be grateful the multi-talented (she can walk and talk simultaneously) Liv Tyler only occupied about 5 minutes screen time in total