Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*bump*

Here's the old Grammar Nazi thread - I think Nurvi coined the term ...

and I think Crick said "Commanists"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-24-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Grammer Nazis. Let me spell in freedom. Allow me spell you are with "your", and believe with "beleive", and if i misspell mispell let me do it. Viva La Misfit Fingers. if i wanna type without caps or punktuataion let me why not huh why cant i. You wanna(want to) burn books? Let's burn the dictionary!
Down with correctness! Up with rebelion!

This is just a joke people. Just having a little fun here. I can't help my misspeling and I do try to go back and fix any that I make. If you look at 70% of my post you will notice I made some changes do to either, typing to fast or just misspeling a word.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-25-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Spelling ;)
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

BTW you misspelled "misspelling"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir
If you look at 70% of my post you will notice I made some changes do to either, typing to fast or just misspeling a word.
It seems I have joined the ranks of the Commanists!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
BTW you misspelled "misspelling"

It seems I have joined the ranks of the Commanists!
Shoot. You got me.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
Grammer Nazis. Let me spell in freedom. Allow me spell you are with "your", and believe with "beleive", and if i misspell mispell let me do it. Viva La Misfit Fingers. if i wanna type without caps or punktuataion let me why not huh why cant i. You wanna(want to) burn books? Let's burn the dictionary!
Down with correctness! Up with rebelion!

This is just a joke people. Just having a little fun here. I can't help my misspeling and I do try to go back and fix any that I make. If you look at 70% of my post you will notice I made some changes do to either, typing to fast or just misspeling a word.
Oh, no worries Faramir We generally just ignore the errors, helped by a big swig of something or other to ease our pain ... People are MUCH more important than their occasional grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors! It was just funny to find out others that are bugged by the its/it's thing, too. Like I said, to some of us, it's like an out-of-tune note is to a musician.

I had forgotten the "commanist" thing - hilarious!

It was just something that came up once and someone started a thread on it and off it went!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Sween once said: "If people spent all there time correcting people spelling (well mine at any rate) we would never get and drinking or eating done"

I think he had a point.

I miss Sween and his spelling. Thread titles like "Proof Aragorn will get Narsil regorged in two towers" were hilarious!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
*bump*

Here's the old Grammar Nazi thread - I think Nurvi coined the term ...

and I think Crick said "Commanists"
I brought "Grammar Nazi" from Queen of Wands and boards all across the internet. I can't take credit for that one.

Faramir, are you going for a t3h st00pid fingers revolution?

How do you say this properly:

The dog of my brother and I needed to be spayed.

Referring to a dog that belongs to myself and my brother. I can't figure it out.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel

Referring to a dog that belongs to myself and my brother. I can't figure it out.
I don't know. Can you really own another living being?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I don't know. Can you really own another living being?
Grammatically speaking, yes. This isn't the philosophy thread!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I brought "Grammar Nazi" from Queen of Wands and boards all across the internet. I can't take credit for that one.
oh, ok - it's funny, though

Quote:

I'd chicken out and say, "Our dog needed to be spayed."

But I think it would be this: "My brother's and my dog needed to be spayed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Sween once said: "If people spent all there time correcting people spelling (well mine at any rate) we would never get and drinking or eating done"

I think he had a point.
Oh, I do, too, and that's why I ignore about 99.9 percent of those types of errors here.

I think the main point of this thread was to commiserate with other people that find the improper use of apostrophes and the like painful! It was just kind of a, "oh, you have that funny reaction, too?" type of thing.

Yeah, Sween was a kick, wasn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Dutch spelling rules, no, let's not go there.
I can't even comprehend why they would change spelling?!@?! I've never heard of any other country that does that - what's up?

Old 03-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Lotesse, I also admire Tolkien's utterly flawless and poetic execution of the English language. The way he conveyed character through dialogue is also brilliant.

Quote:
oh, ok - it's funny, though

I'd chicken out and say, "Our dog needed to be spayed."

But I think it would be this: "My brother's and my dog needed to be spayed."
The problem is, the first sentence doesn't say who the other dog owner is (besides myself), and the second one implies there are two dogs.

I posted a real stumper there eh?

Quote:
I think the main point of this thread was to commiserate with other people that find the improper use of apostrophes and the like painful! It was just kind of a, "oh, you have that funny reaction, too?" type of thing.
My goodness yes!!

The other day, I went to the driving range with my boyfriend and we hit a bucket of balls, then had lunch in the clubhouse. Fun! In the clubhouse was a photo of someone who had won a golf tournament there. The caption under the woman's photo read: "[person's name] Ladie's 2005 Champion"

I stared at it a moment, because it seemed wrong. Unnatural. After a moment I realised brutal abuse of an innocent apostrophe was occuring! It should read Ladies' Champion, if anything, because she'd be the champion of all the female golfers at the club. However, I think Ladies Champion is correct because she's the champion of the ladies tournament, no possession is actually indicated here.

Am I right? Can I get a booyah?

Quote:
I can't even comprehend why they would change spelling?!@?! I've never heard of any other country that does that - what's up?
Are you referring to Dutch people spelling in English, or Dutch spelling (of Dutch) Eärniel? (Since this is the Grammar Nazi thread, I actually went to another message board, typed the alt code for an A umlaut, and pasted it here. I also checked the spelling of umlaut. As my boyfriend would say, "Anal!" )
Quote:
Old 03-26-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
According to my knowledge, German spelling was changed as well - they replaced that B-like s with double s. I don't really remember the details... IIRC, they said it was for simplicity, but many people didn't want it to be changed, so they reached a compromise and left it in some words and changed it in others. If someone knows I'm wrong, do correct me.

Similar ideas have been popping up in my language as well, but thank goodness they weren't successful. At least no major changes, like that double s thing in German.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 AM   #13
Jonathan

Quote:
It's not that uncommon really. In recent years, languages like German and Dutch have had spelling reforms and Swedish had some changed spelling as well in the beginning of the 20th century. Also, it's because of a British spelling reform long ago that there's a pointless silent 'd' in admiral among other things. So your language has been subjected to reforms too

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-26-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Gee, I am starting to feel like I am in an episode of Sasame Street. Is that spelled right?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:45 PM   #15
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Actaully, its Sesame Street.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:21 PM   #16
Rían

Yes, I still disagree, and was aware of the definition. I think the context is the "writing and printing" part, i.e. the visual part, and therefore "intelligible" would have been a better choice of words. But I understood what you meant, anyway We'll just have to agree to disagree on the use of the word, I suppose, but that's ok (at least with me )

Grey_wolf - LOL! "punctuation communist"

TBA - actually, it's "actually", not "Actaully ", and it's "it's", not "its". (no offense meant, I do enjoy well-written posts, and yours are well-written.) And BTW, another thing that catches my eye is the usual lack of hyphens in phrases such as "well-written". Is anyone else a hyphen nazi, like me?

azalea - yes, I too really enjoy the use, whenever appropriate, of well-placed, and therefore helpful, commas, especially when I get in silly, as opposed to serious, moods.

Now where are all the Apostrophes of Mass Destruction people from the Venting thread??

Last edited by Rían : 10-28-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #17
Rían

and re SGH's post - "Is that spelled right?" - is it supposed to be "Was that spelt correctly?" I really don't know, does anyone else? (and does it really matter? no, but it's rather fun to examine this stuff when I should be doing laundry instead)

Old 10-28-2002, 05:37 PM   #18
Rían

And does anyone else really love when an out-of-the-ordinary word (note use of hyphens) pops up in conversation? Someone used "impugn" a few days ago on Entmoot - I wanted to hug them!!

Old 10-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #19
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I would venture to suppose that the vast majority of my grammatical errors (as well as spelling, capitalization and punctuation errors) are a result of my inflated ego, which insists that I would make no such mistakes. This negates any reason for proof-reading (note appropriate hyphen) before hitting 'submit'.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:13 PM   #20
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I don't have much time, so I'll keep this laconic.
Rian, you must enjoy being so captious. I do, too. I tend to correct people often, and if possible I do it without specifically telling them they made a mistake. I find it especially amusing when they don't even realize they have been made the subject of my derision. For example:

Jon Doe: Can you borrow me a dollar?
Me: No, I can't lend (emphasis on 'lend') you a dollar.

Of course, other times I can be downright malicious.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote