Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2000, 09:44 PM   #21
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Crazy.

We aren't living in past, present, or future. For time doesn't exist. We simply are. God created time for us to have some form of reference as to when He would return, and for something for us to play with. Humans are ever curious, and the reason God made things intricate is so we'd have something to puzzle over. He could have made us absolutly dull, taking everything for granted. Instead He displayed a little of his power, and even that little is to great for us to comprehend, and made things vast enough for us to see and marvel at. In my opinion, when you see these of His, we can no longer declare that He does not exist.
Therefore, time doesn't truly exist, it is only a reference. And I believe the line of time can be crossed because we will eventually have no need for it. God will remove it.
Old 10-02-2000, 12:16 AM   #22
Caractacus Tinkerdam

But hey, no one answered my question, are we living in the past, present, or future?

"I am."

The One who can answer that question in that fashion lives in Eternity, which is all of Time at once, an ancient concept that is subtle and hard to fathom.

I think we only live in the Present.

To live otherwise is to live in Eternity. And you can't do that in Time.

And does anyone know what this has to do with deja vous?
Old 10-02-2000, 12:36 AM   #23
anduin

I am still freaking about the thread number!

Call me superstitious.
Old 10-02-2000, 11:53 AM   #24
Shanamir Duntak

Re: I am still freaking about the thread number!

It's "DéjÃ* vu"

And the "DéjÃ* vu" phenomen comes from one eye seeing faster than the other. Sometimes the idea/concept/image gets to your brain before the the other eye even sent the message to the brain. Then the image goes through the same synapses and awake the second-long memory.

Did you even notice that "DéjÃ* vu" almost always happen when your top shape and completely awake?
Old 10-02-2000, 05:17 PM   #25
quam

wohohohow,and i thought i was a nerd.this is real scholar's stuff(except those posts about gilthalion's schizophrenia).
Anyway, I have been thinking yesterday about this whole time-does-not-exist-thing and then I read this thread about it(coincidence?)but anyway my ideas are that or
1.time simply does not exist and humans made it as a reference.
or
2.time does exist,but it can stop at any time(or it has already stopped),but we wouldn't notice it, because a. there are no watches that measure time,they just change some digits on a screen because some quartz cristal has moved a bit and b. sth.(read everything) can move through the first 3 dimensions without moving through time,so someone can age even if time stands still,or even goes backwards.
Old 10-03-2000, 01:42 AM   #26
Amberly Graham

Good point "Caractacus", I should have thought of that.
I suppose that until time reaches it's point of non-existance, which is infinity or eternity, we always live in the present.
"I Am" is the perfect quote.
Old 10-03-2000, 12:48 PM   #27
Caractacus Tinkerdam

"DéjÃ* vu" phenomen comes from one eye seeing faster than the other. Sometimes the idea/concept/image gets to your brain before the the other eye even sent the message to the brain. Then the image goes through the same synapses and awake the second-long memory.

"Deja vu," is, I think, more than a cognitive loop between hemispheres of the brain.

Did you even notice that "DéjÃ* vu" almost always happen when your top shape and completely awake?

"Deja vu," is, I think, more than a congitive loop between hemispheres of the brain.

Or have I said that already...

...anyway, I've had deja vu throughout my life and in almost every state of consciousness. Also, women and men both seem to have plenty of occurrences of the phenomenon, and women have a much better physiological connection between the hemispheres of the brain than men do on average.

It would be interesting to see a real brain science study of the matter, comparative physiological analysis of the brain structures (the DNA!) of folk who more often experience deja vu.

The reason I think that there is more to it has also to do with things I have observed myself. There have been occassions where I have had mundane dreams of the taking-out-the-trash variety. I rarely remember these, but there are occassions where I have. Later, perhaps weeks later, I have had a deja vu that I knew came from that dream.

Also, in the course of some particularly intense deja vu, I have known seconds in advance what a fellow would say, the precise context of the statement, the background around him, the clothes he was wearing, my own realization that I had lived it before...

Too much data with too much time displacement to be accounted for by a second or two of brain lobes working out of phase. There is also the matter of the "dreams come true."

I don't have an explanation. But if we assume for the sake of argument that deja vu is the conscious mind remembering during an event what the unconscious mind previously experienced when the event was "received" in a dream, then how did the unconscious mind "receive" the perception of the experience in the first place, before it actually occurred?

Science postulates (have they proven?) the existence of tachyons, particles which move backwards through time faster than the speed of light.

In the wild frontiers of quantum reality, is it possible for an individual's consciousness to somehow mingle across separate points in time?

And if this is so, could we count deja vu as evidence that reality is not what it seems, and neither are we?
Old 10-03-2000, 08:40 PM   #28
RovingTurtle

Yes time is a man made thing (for lack of a better word) If it wasn't then "1000 years is one day and one day is a thousand years" wouldn't be a feasible concept, and while we may not understand that concept or the concept of most things, we aren't able too, not without full use of our mind and somehing more. So this is ocnfusing but for the sake of the post lets say time is what we assume it to be (which is not very suitable but in anycase...) Can't travel to the past but can travel to the future? Then would we stay there or travel back to our world, which has become the past. And if we traveled out of our time to the future then the future would now be altered since we arent in our time to do what we did in the past of the future world. Confused yet? I am my head hurts, seriously this is all above us and its a man mad concept anyway whoa babbling i'll stop now.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:43 AM   #29
Shanamir Duntak

I'd like to believe it comes from a "sixth sense". I used to. But now I'm more skeptical
Old 10-04-2000, 02:28 AM   #30
Niffiwan

Wow, thanks, all!

I now know possible a scientific explanation for ESP as well as tons of proof!

I was always of the belief that if someone was going to travel back in time, then it would have already happened...

I made up my little theories in the first two messages without any knowledge of all this other stuff about time not being real, and now I guess I look like fool.

And yes, I did get that "Time squared" chart from Wrinkle In Time...

Although; if we're living in the 4th dimension but are unaware of the 5th, then there could easily be something in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd dimensions which is equally unaware of us.

Another question to discuss:

Is a zeroth dimension possible?
If so, what would it be like?
Old 10-04-2000, 04:07 PM   #31
Xivigg

Re: ...

Nothing
Nean
vide
emptyness
rien
nada

we are but an anomaly in a gigantic explosion that create the univers

one day the explosion will ended and we"ll all return from were we came
Old 10-04-2000, 07:17 PM   #32
SarahStar

Actually, from a physics standpoint, that's highly debatable. For one thing, that would require for the universe to stop expanding (the universe is definitely expanding). Whether or not this ever happpens will depend on the amount of matter in the universe, which depends on the amount of dark matter in the universe, and we don't even really know what dark matter is yet!

(Hey! I remembered something I learned in astronomy! )
Old 10-05-2000, 04:33 AM   #33
Shanamir Duntak

Sorry... the scientists debated this some years ago. It was concluded that universe would shrink back in a big crunch if, and only if it was at 3degree kelvin or less... or it is now at 3.54243134224121341 (I don't know exactly) degrees... so it's not gonna shrink back.

Or at least, that's what I remember. I'm not sure if it's 3 or something else, but it's near that number. And for those who don't know, 3 K is equal to - 267C
Old 10-05-2000, 03:42 PM   #34
SarahStar

Perhaps, but I'm sure you, too, have noticed that every few years "scientists in general" completely change their minds because of some new breakthrough.

Now there's a group who are even claiming to actually have recorded something going faster than the speed of light. Even if it's not really happening, that's a huge change. For years the speed of light has literally been the only unbreakable law.

(Also, I have quite a lot of faith in the professor who taught me about this---he's one of those people who teaches because he wants to, not because it's all he can do---and I'm inclined to believe that if scientists had really reached a firm conclusion, it would have come up! I would also like to believe that our brand new textbooks were not that out of date! So maybe that last one is wishful thinking. )
Old 10-05-2000, 10:59 PM   #35
Johnny Lurker

www.neci.nj.nec.com/homep...n/demo.htm ... Light + Cesium Gas + stuff = 19M jump