Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Because many plants exhibit the sequence. The fern is the perfect example.

More stuff here.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:30 PM   #22
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

But BoP are the ferns perfect down to the very last decimal point. I dont think so. THe odds a re phenomenal.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 AM   #23
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

To quote the website BoP posted:
Quote:
Starting from any leaf on a plant, a spiral is traced in an anti- clockwise direction from leaf to leaf. Upon reaching a leaf directly above the first, the number of leaves and turns around the stem within the spiral are constant, irrespective of the starting point.
I believe most ferns exhibits the Fibonacci sequence perfectly. The question if they are "perfect down to the very last decimal point" is irrelevant, since there are just natural numbers in the sequence. One leaf, two leaves etc.

Interesting site, BoP.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:05 AM   #24
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
The question if they are "perfect down to the very last decimal point" is irrelevant,
With all due respect, I guess that's the very question we're discussing here. We want to see if Mathematical perfection can exist. If there's an error of a billionth of a billionth of a millimetere, that still doesn't count as perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Its called chaos. And it IS math.
I don't know much about the theory of chaos, but I don't think that it can't be applied in any case where there is an apparent randomness. Consider human behaviour, for instance. How can THAT be modelled with numbers and predicted mathematically. Another example: get two rabbits together in a cage so that they copulate. Can you predict each time the female gives birth how many rabbits she's gonna give birth to?

Quote:
I believe nature is ruled by mathematics though.
According to Fat Middle's (and my) point of view, the opposite is true. If maths are a set of laws to model and describe nature, then nature rules maths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
you do find mathematical perfections, such as fibonacci numbers in plants
True, you do find the Fibonacci numbers in plants. But can you predict, given a certain plant, which number of the Fibonacci sequence its leaves or flower petals are gonna have? If you can't, then perfect order is still not established.
Another example, consider an egg hatching. If nature were mathematically perfect, all the eggs that have ever hatched and ever would hatch should have the same shape after hatching (i.e. the same parts broken, the same ridges, etc...) which, of course, is not the case.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:09 AM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeeess, certainly is an interesting site.

*BoP makes a note to read links more thoroughly before posting.

Still, had the pertinent information that I needed at the time.

Better linky-pooh here.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-22-2004 at 04:12 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:22 AM   #26
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
With all due respect, I guess that's the very question we're discussing here. We want to see if Mathematical perfection can exist. If there's an error of a billionth of a billionth of a millimetere, that still doesn't count as perfection.
When talking about the number of leaves that a fern has, the leaves size down to the last attometre is irrelevant.

Quote:
I don't know much about the theory of chaos, but I don't think that it can't be applied in any case where there is an apparent randomness. Consider human behaviour, for instance. How can THAT be modelled with numbers and predicted mathematically. Another example: get two rabbits together in a cage so that they copulate. Can you predict each time the female gives birth how many rabbits she's gonna give birth to?
Eh, isn't that what chaos is about? Chaos makes predictions impossible. And no, you can't apply chaos theory to every case of apparent randomness. Mainly because chaos and randomness are two different things.

Quote:
Another example, consider an egg hatching. If nature were mathematically perfect, all the eggs that have ever hatched and ever would hatch should have the same shape after hatching (i.e. the same parts broken, the same ridges, etc...) which, of course, is not the case.
I don't see how unidentical eggs is proof of nature's mathematical imperfection.

Thanks for the linky-poohs, BoP. I feel oddly enlightened
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-22-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #27
Haradrim

Beren- Chaos theroy is a form of mathematics saying that you cant predict things. It instead shows all different possibilities and while sometimes we think something may be 50 50 chaos theroy shows us that actually a coin flip is not 50/50 it is actually I think 50.05/50 for heads because its slightly weightier. Thats chaos theroy. nothing is perfect and therefore nothing can truly be predicted because there are an infinite amount of variables.

and Jonathon we are discussing down to the last atometre so in fact it is not irrevelant.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 AM   #28
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
and Jonathon we are discussing down to the last atometre so in fact it is not irrevelant.
Not if you're looking for perfect circles or lines, but the Fibonacci sequence has little to do with such things.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:46 AM   #29
Haradrim

I think it would have great importance to a line (cause you need to make sure that it never vears off to the left or rigth and especially for a circle because you need to make sure every degree, angle, curve, and all that whatnot are the same.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:47 AM   #30
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Its called chaos. And it IS math. nature HAS TO follow mathematical laws no matter how complicted. nature resides within this universe therefore it is subject to the same laws as anything else inside this universe. every known phenomenon can ultimately be expressed in numbers.
Chaos is a way of modelling our thought (mathematical thought) to match nature.

Today, not "every known phenomenon can ultimately be expressed in numbers", but as maths develop they may be able to express better the natural phenomena.

Nature follows its laws, we try and model our thought to understand them. But our thought is only a representation of the world, not the world itself. World is first.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:51 AM   #31
Haradrim

Thanks Fat Middle. Every time you post here you sum up what I have been trying to say very nicely. Thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #32
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

You're welcome Thanks for the compliments.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #33
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
When talking about the number of leaves that a fern has, the leaves size down to the last attometre is irrelevant.
I see your point, now!

Quote:
I don't see how unidentical eggs is proof of nature's mathematical imperfection.
Well, if nature were mathematically perfect, then we should be able to predict the shape of the broken egg shell down to each ridge. Maybe we shouldn't have identicall egg-shells (my mistake in phrasing), it's just that there's now way (at least that I know of) to predict its shape so that each egg hatching is a unique event. This was meant to emphasise my point that there would always be that element of spontaneity in nature that can never be represented by maths.

Quote:
Beren- Chaos theroy is a form of mathematics saying that you cant predict things. It instead shows all different possibilities and while sometimes we think something may be 50 50 chaos theroy shows us that actually a coin flip is not 50/50 it is actually I think 50.05/50 for heads because its slightly weightier. Thats chaos theroy. nothing is perfect and therefore nothing can truly be predicted because there are an infinite amount of variables.
I didn't know that, thanks for an enlightening post!
Old 08-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #34
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
chaos theory is a form of mathematics used to make some predictions about extremely complex events. Its used every day in predicting things like traffic patterns and weather and yes it can even predict human behavior quite well. if you are asking can math anticipate EVERY conceivable action in the universe well potentially it could. If we had all the variables. And super computers powerful enough to do that kind of number crunching. and who knows maybe somewhere the complete life and every event down to the quantum level of our universe has been predicted and logged somewhere. maybe we are just living out these mathematical predictions as we sit here. im supposed to be writing this and you are supposed to be thinking I don’t think hes right… *twilight zone music*

Quote:
lets start by figuring out what you mean by “mathematically perfect.” Because im not sure if that really has any meaning. Nature is what nature is. And it follows laws of mathematics but no it doesn’t always end in nice round numbers or have (or need) perfect shapes. And keep in mind there a billion billion billion variables that go into just how one egg will hatch. Its an almost infinitely complex math problem but a math problem none the less. The way an egg shell will break WILL follow a certain pattern but of course not be the same each and every time. But you WILL see a bell curve if you plot many many different egg hatchings. And that alone should show us that nature (well at least egg hatching) has a pretty clear element of predictability. If it was as you say simply random then it would have to follow a PERFECTLY random pattern. And any miniscule variation in the randomness would show us that there is in fact some specific predictable pattern going on there.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 08-22-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #35
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
And it follows laws of mathematics but no it doesn’t always end in nice round numbers or have (or need) perfect shapes.
My point exactly! Since measurement and interpretation of nature doesn't produce round numbers, then shouldn't nature be considered "imperfect" from the POV of maths? Or (as I said earlier), since nature is the origin and math the copy, shouldn't our current maths system be considered imperfect from the POV of nature?

Quote:
But you WILL see a bell curve if you plot many many different egg hatchings.
I'm not following, sorry but statistics isn't exactly my strongest point in maths
Old 08-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #36
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
My point exactly! Since measurement and interpretation of nature doesn't produce round numbers, then shouldn't nature be considered "imperfect" from the POV of maths? Or (as I said earlier), since nature is the origin and math the copy, shouldn't our current maths system be considered imperfect from the POV of nature?
well why do you consider non round numbers to be imperfect exactly? 5 has no more intrinsic value in nature then 5.893872983787837283798... But you DO have constants in nature. speed of light, planks constant, an electronvolt, avogadros number, etc. Because of the nature of our universe these constants are always the same.

Quote:
I'm not following, sorry but statistics isn't exactly my strongest point in maths
well lets say you were a scientist that studied birds and you spent 10 years recording how the egg of one particular species hatched. you would plot maybe on the location of the break in the egg shell or something. well you would find that as more and more recordings were made that you had a distribution that looked something like a hill. tall in the middle and short on either end. the ends represent the extremes, that is the scenarios that dont often happen but SOMETIMES do. the middle hill represents the usual outcome. how the egg USUALLY is broken. therefore you conclude there is a certiain degree of predictability in how this specific species breaks out of its shell. you could even measure it by measuring the height of your bell curve if you will. you would, on the other hand, NEVER see a perfectly straight distribution because egg hatching is not in fact a perfectly random activity in nature. even the slightest micro blip one way or the other would show that there is some kind of predictiable pattern involved.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:12 AM   #37
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I don't know much about the theory of chaos, but I don't think that it can't be applied in any case where there is an apparent randomness. Consider human behaviour, for instance. How can THAT be modelled with numbers and predicted mathematically.
It CAN'T.

Unless of course you wish to use numbers like this:

"what do you think he'll choose to do with his free will?
1 - he'll walk; 2 - he'll run; 3 - he'll take the bus; 4 - other"

I must say that every time I read the title of this thread, I just bust out laughing! I get this mental picture of a gigantic banner with "TONITE'S TOP MATCH - Nature Vs. Maths!" and these two wrestlers in an area, and if Maths wins, Nature implodes, and if Nature wins, Maths turns into complete and utter nonsense!

(you may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:14 AM   #38
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
... and while sometimes we think something may be 50 50 chaos theroy shows us that actually a coin flip is not 50/50 it is actually I think 50.05/50 for heads because its slightly weightier.
*goes out looking for some poor ignorant sucker to flip coins with ... *

EDIT - shouldn't it be 50.05/49.95?

Beren - a bell-shaped curve is a very common distribution of a set of numbers that you get from measuring natural events, so called because the graph looks like -- a bell

FM - I agree with you

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-27-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 AM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Doesn't that rather depend on what country the 50 cent coin comes from..... *squints suspiciously*
Old 08-30-2004, 01:28 AM   #40
Jonathan

Actually it does, especially Belgian euro coins more often land heads up

Story