Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2000, 10:05 PM   #21
GlaurungTheGold

Re: Anne McCaffrey

Yeah it was a nice take on the legend of King Arthur. Short, but nice.
Old 09-22-2000, 01:00 AM   #22
Finduilas

It's nice to see a story focusing on one particular aspect of a story like that. The entire story is so large, that sometimes a story based on a detail is really nice.
Old 09-24-2000, 08:05 PM   #23
Gilthalion

I liked the (first) Dragonrider books.

I liked the Harper Hall trilogy.

I've read, and liked the first two Freedom's Challenge novels.

Seems there was something else, about telepaths who threw spaceships at one another across the void. There was a whole series of them, and they weren't bad.
Old 09-25-2000, 02:03 AM   #24
Finduilas

The third of the Freedom books is pretty good.

Opinion on the Tower books?
(I just picked up "The Rowan" and "Renegades of Pern" at a library booksale)
Old 09-25-2000, 01:17 PM   #25
DayStar2002

hmmm...

if my library had the first second and third book i would read them..... but my library sucks
Old 09-25-2000, 03:50 PM   #26
Gilthalion

Re: hmmm...

I thought the Tower series (telepaths tossing rockets, right) was good, light, pleasurable reading.

Like most of McCaffrey's work, I don't pick her up for a serious read. But I do enjoy her writing!
Old 09-25-2000, 05:37 PM   #27
Finduilas

As I recall (not having read the series for 4 or 5 years, the first 2 were good, but they went downhill from there. As with the Pegasus books (there is a 3rd one out now that I have yet to read.)
Old 10-04-2000, 08:07 PM   #28
X Rogue

I liked the Pern books best, although I didn't care for Renegades of Pern all that much. Read Dragonflight first and still think Lessa is wonderful, then read the Harper Hall trilogy. Robinton and Lessa are still my favorite characters in my periodic re-reads.
Liked Crystal Singer and Rowan series somewhat less than Pern, but about equally with each other. I did think that the rowan books kinda went downhill after the second one or so, however.
The Powers that be series was ok too.
Old 10-04-2000, 09:09 PM   #29
SarahStar

Pegasus in Space is good. Read it. It's fun. (Make sure you approach it from that perspective, though: it's supposed to be fun. That's it.)

The Tower and the Hive gets better as you get used to what I like to call the "descendents" books. ( The Rowan and Damia each focus on one central character, whereas the next three focus on their descendents.) I wasn't a huge fan of Lyon's Pride but I enjoyed it more after I had read the rest of the series.

I'm a little confused as to how anyone could stand to read Freedom's Landing and Freedom's Choice and then not read Freedom's Challenge! I'm still waiting for the fourth book! (Not that there has to be another, but c'mon! I want more!) Have any of you heard of the computer game that's supposed to be released...uh...sometime soon? I think it takes place on Earth.

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Acorna. Those books are fun, too! And there's four of them now!

Old 10-04-2000, 09:38 PM   #30
Finduilas

I read the first of the Acorna books, but never got into the others.

One thing I find funny about the pegasus books is reading them now (the first one was set in the early 90's) and looking at where they thought we would be at this time.
Old 10-04-2000, 09:55 PM   #31
Salli Canaliya

If I ever write anything sci-fi, I am going to be sure not to mention any dates in the future.

Rather than make all the comments that have been coming to my head as I read this topic, I'm going to bring up something that hasn't been discussed yet. Does anyone have any thoughts on Nimisha's Ship?

Personally, I really enjoyed it. But do you know what I'm getting at when I say it managed to go the entire book without much of a plot? In a lot of McCaffrey, what is really interesting are the characters, societies, and worlds, and whatever the big conflict is almost feels as if it is gentting in the way of the fun stuff. In this book, however, that is not a problem. There are no big conflicts.

I was interested to read that someone thought the Tower and the Hive and the Crystal books were about on equal footing. Maybe I'm biased because I read them pre-Pern, but I give the Rowan books much more credit than that. (The Crystal series is perhaps my least favorite McCaffrey trilogy, okay?)
Old 10-05-2000, 05:47 PM   #32
Finduilas

I liked it. That one really had a nice feeling to it. Watching 2 species come together, and the way nobody gave up hope of being found.
Old 11-02-2000, 02:33 AM   #33
Elanor

I've read most or all of the Dragonriders of Pern, as well as the Dinosaur Planet books, Pegasus/Rowan/Damia books (I like the way Pegasus in Space finally connected them all), and a bunch of other ones. The Dragonriders is one of the scifi/fantasy series that really makes me want to write my own sequel! Anyone for some fan fic?
Old 11-02-2000, 08:39 PM   #34
Finduilas

Love to see some. If you are looking for somewhere to put it, you can try it on my message board (I have a section for that that is just dying for some new messages now).
Old 11-03-2000, 07:14 AM   #35
Elanor

Hm, well, I've been sort of inventing a plot in my head for a while now--ever since I read All the Weyrs, actually--and it keeps changing! argh. I'm scared that if I write it down, I'll want to change it later... Does you ever have this problem when you're trying to write a story?
Old 11-04-2000, 02:09 AM   #36
Finduilas

All the time. I have one original piece in 3 places, all different.
Old 12-08-2000, 05:49 AM   #37
Elanor

I just started reading the Ship Who Sang series--how many books are in it? Is the new Nimisha's Ship part of it?
Old 12-08-2000, 01:59 PM   #38
X Rogue

Nope, Nimisha's Ship is not part of the Ship Who Sang series. I know it includes the Ship Who Sang, The City Who Fought, and maybe one other book I can't remember the name of. Ask at the bookstore or your library, they might know more about it.
Old 12-08-2000, 09:13 PM   #39
Finduilas

Nimisha's Ship is set in the same universe as The Coelura.

The "Ship" Books about the brainships include:
Partnership
Ship who Searched
Ship who Sang
City who Fought
Ship who Won
and a few others that I can't remember
one is a sequel to City who fought
and another is a sequel to Ship who Won.

Finally read Pegasus in Space and it was actually quite good.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:36 AM   #40
biriwilg

Argh!

My library has a lot of Pern books, but it cuts off at Dragonseye. Does anybody know which book is after Dragonseye? Also, what is the fourth Acorna book? My library only has three.