Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2004, 03:29 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes Val, and I *would* chose it to be my favourite story, wouldn't I?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:33 PM   #22
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yes Val, and I *would* chose it to be my favourite story, wouldn't I?
'Character building'! The sadness DOES strengthen the story... puts it on the order of a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy. The whole effort of the Noldor to regain the Silmarils and their flight to Middle-earth is similarly tragic... there's just so MUCH of it coming to a head in that story.

Maybe we all just want to see Turin get a break for once!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 03-16-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #23
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The Nirnaeth perhaps...most of the chapters involving Túrin are sad. And then there's the Fall of Gondolin in BoLT.
Quote:
There all that company turned, and lo! The plain is clear and smiling in the last light as of old; but afar off as they gazed a great flare shot up against the darkened north - and that was the fall of the last tower of Gondolin, even that which had stood hard by the southern gate, and whose shadow fell oft across the walls of Tuor's house. Then sank the sun, and they saw Gondolin no more.
Oh, and there's the story of Aldarion...too much sadness.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:07 AM   #24
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The saddest part of the LOTR is when Frodo sails across the sea. That paragraph is the most beautiful and moving in the LOTR.

The saddest part of the Silmarillion is when Turin falls onto his sword. Oh, and when Feanor dies.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #25
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

definetly when gandalf dies...or doesn't die...whatever... but i was also mad then cuz he was one of my favs.
oh, and when thorin dies at the end of the hobbit; i didn't realize how much i liked him until he croaked.
and when sam says "i'm back" i must have gone through a whole box of tissues then

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i agree on the Turin parts...

the fate of feanor always saddened me too... losing his mother and father in a place where the elves must have thought death was next to impossible, then ultimately defeated through his own grief and passions
Old 03-19-2004, 08:33 AM   #27
ryttu3k
Enting

The death of Theoden, easily, and Eomer's grief at the loss of such a great man... trying so hard to be strong, but crying nonetheless... Theoden IS one of my favourite characters for a reason...

Although Sam's line - "Don't go where I can't follow!" - had me bawling...
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #28
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
The first time I read LOTR (about 30 years ago!!) I found the fall of Boromir to be very sad. I still do. I liked Boromir because he was more of a flawed person than others in the Fellowship, but he was also noble and kind. His corruption and redemption are sad and poignant moments and I always remember how I felt the first time I read it each time I've re-read it.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #29
Sween
im quite stupid

Saddest moment is the Battle of Un-numbred tears the final defeat of the eldar as we knew them the loss of so much life of the Eldar and the Edain yet even from that battle there is hope at the end as with all the loss in tolkiens works
Old 03-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #30
azalea
Long lost mooter

In Tolkien, there are many sad situations that don't really count as one particular instance to me, such as the whole situation with Feanor (although the Kin-slaying was very sad ), or the one that BoP brought up -- Frodo unable to "go home" again. But in reference to specific scenes, these are it for me: Thorin's death (very powerful and sad scene to an 8 year old, and still is for me today!), the Grey Havens scene with Gandalf, Elrond, Bilbo and Frodo leaving ME, and from The Silm (for me) the deaths of Finrod and HUAN, the poor critter!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #31
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

The saddest moment in Tolkien is, for me, the tale of Turin and Nienor. That is a beatifully tragic story.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #32
Maedhros
The Tall

I have to agree with Fat Middle in that Húrin's return to Morwen was definitely the saddest moment in the legendarium and yet it is filled with hope. How could Morwen, after all that happened to her, retain the hope that someday her husband would return?

The slaying of Gothmog by Echtelion is sad too, but I would not put it in the same level. I would say that it was sadder to see Eärendil's reaction to his death.
From the Book of Lost Tales II: The Fall of Gondolin
Quote:
“Mother Idril, I would we had good Ecthelion of the Fountain here to play to me on his flute, or make me willow-whistles! Perchance he has gone on ahead?” But Idril said nay, and told what she had heard of his end. Then said Eärendel that he cared not ever to see the streets of Gondolin again, and he wept bitterly; but Tuor said that he would not again see those streets, “for Gondolin is no more”.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:11 AM   #33
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Although it was sad that such a great king as Fingolfin died and it was a vain effort on his part, he died in a great challenge and for a great cause, so it wasn't all in vain, because he wounded Morgoth seven times.
I would have to agree with this as the second most saddest moment. The first, and all time saddest moment is when Finrod dies.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #34
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

When Nienor realizes who Turin is and throws herself over the cliff.

The death of Finrod...of course...

And that last scene with Morwen and Hurin...

Also when Hurin goes to find Gondolin and gets no answer...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #35
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

For saddest moments I would say the end places of the three main books, the death of Boromir, the supposed death of Frodo and the sailing of the ringbearers for LotR.
But out of all of Tolkien's works I would say the saddest moments are the fall of Gondolin, especially just after Glorfindel's death, and Beren's farewell song, before Luthien catches up when he's preparing to go on towards Angband alone. There are too many sad moments to choose from, I can think of about half a dozen more that I should include here but that would take too long so I'll stick with these five.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #36
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

The tale of Turin had to be the saddest part of Tolkiens work for me. There is no greater tragedy in his literature that I have read.

The flight of the Noldor comes in a close second. The unconditional loyalty that Fingolfin shows toward his brother was truely moving.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 AM   #37
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

Gotta be the fall of Gondolin.

The last bastion of the Eldar, in which the glory of Aman is preserved, being sold by Maeglin to the Morgoth himself, just goes to show one of Tolkien's principle ideas.

Power corrupts.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:30 AM   #38
Anglorfin
Alasailon

The saddest part of the Turin story is when he comes upon Finduilas' mound. That really started his whole tragedy.

Also the battle at the Gates of Moria (Battle of Unnumbered Tears) was pretty sad. There was very little real hope for the Dwarves after that I thought.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #39
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Sad? Well, when Hurin arrives after 28 years apart, just in time to hold Morwen's hand as she dies, and bury her next to their son and daughter!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:13 AM   #40
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Sad? Well, when Hurin arrives after 28 years apart, just in time to hold Morwen's hand as she dies, and bury her next to their son and daughter!
That's my #1 too, and my 1.5 is Arwen's death, that always brings a tear to my eye, not quite as big a tear as when I read about Hurin, but a tear nonetheless.

Forkbeard
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote