Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #21
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
wouldn't it be better to say the power that created the silmarils and the rings was similar-the sub-creative power of the elves, which flourished last in Eregion, a reflection of its birth in Aman.
No, I do not think so. I think the Elves were capable of sub-creation since their Awakening (and likewise for Dwarves, and Men). That a sub-creative power was demonstrated in the Silmarilli and the Elven Rings I do not doubt, but that power was also used in the making of Anglachel, or Orcrist.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:31 AM   #22
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
True, originally no specific connections are allocated to the Silmarils regarding certain domains. But as you also point out, their fates were bound with the earth, the sea and the heavens. And this is where they had ended up at the time Celebrimbor made the Three. Their places and functions had in other words been altered it would seem.
I have seen theories like this in other places, and I definitely see the connection. There is also this quote that I found.
From Unfinished Tales: Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn
Quote:
But Sauron had better fortune with the Noldor of Eregion and especially with Celebrimbor, who desired in his heart to rival the skill and fame of Fëanor.
This is not a direct quote regarding the validity of the theory, but it sheds some light that Celebrimbor wanted to rival Fëanor, and maybe, just maybe he took the idea of Earth, Water and Fire from his grandpa.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:40 AM   #23
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I know the Rings were Fire, Sky, and Water, but I thought the Silmarils were, too. Are they Earth, Sky, and Water?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:28 PM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I know the Rings were Fire, Sky, and Water, but I thought the Silmarils were, too. Are they Earth, Sky, and Water?
No. The properties of the Silmarils were that they contained the Light of the Two Trees of Valinor, and were hallowed by the Vala Varda. The only thing relating to the elements of the earth, air, fire, water, is that each of the Silmarils ended up in one of those places. Earendil being placed in the sky by the Valar, with a Silmaril bound to his brow. Maglor casting a Silmaril into the sea. And lastly, Maedhros throwing himself into a fiery chasm with a Silmaril.

Although the Silmarils were not of the elements of earth as the Three Rings, Celebrimber I think was hoping to rival the creation of the Silmarils with the Rings, but I think he was trying to create a way to ward off the effects of time and that was the more important reason for their creation.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #25
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah, I knew they weren't the Silmaril of Fire, etc. I meant where they ended up.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-12-2002, 02:29 PM   #26
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
hmmm. I wonder if the Three Rings could have been percieved as, somehow, a return of the Silmarils. They were both:
  • numerically similar (3)
  • related to the losing-places of the silmarils
  • constructed by one of the house of Feanor
  • concerned with postponing 'fading' (applies more to the Rings) and preserving elvish beauty in the world.

Very interesting.
And, whoever it was who said it: Galadriel wiser than Erenion Gil-Galad? I don't think so.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:40 PM   #27
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
And, whoever it was who said it: Galadriel wiser than Erenion Gil-Galad? I don't think so.
Well, I would say that they were both wise, but Galadriel more so, because she was nurtured in the Blessed Realm and lived in the light of the Two Trees. However, Finrod was the wisest of the Exiled Elves.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-12-2002, 06:44 PM   #28
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Ok, when the rings were first made they were given to Galadriel, Gil-galad, and Cirdan, the dude that appears in the last chapter of LOTR.

Gil-galad gave Elrond his ring, and Cirdan gave Gandalf his. So Gandalf has an elven ring.

I thought it was kinda weird when I first read the book too, but I never thought much about it cause I was too busy getting confused over everything else.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:45 PM   #29
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I never noticed that Beleg!

The rings are similar to the silmarils. They didn't get stolen by Sauron though.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:42 PM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lollypopgurl
I never noticed that Beleg!

The rings are similar to the silmarils. They didn't get stolen by Sauron though.
The Silmarils were stolen by Morgoth.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-12-2002, 10:49 PM   #31
Gwaimir Windgem

I don't think the Rings could really be the Silmarils returned. First off, isn't the star Earendil the light of the Silmaril in the Sky? Yet I believe it continues to shine brightly. And also, the Silmarils would not be affected by the One Ring; they were hallowed by Varda herself, Queen of the Valar, whereas the Ring was forged by Sauron, one of the Maiar.

Of course, I could be wrong, just stating my opinion.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-13-2002, 10:26 AM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think the Rings could really be the Silmarils returned. First off, isn't the star Earendil the light of the Silmaril in the Sky? Yet I believe it continues to shine brightly. And also, the Silmarils would not be affected by the One Ring; they were hallowed by Varda herself, Queen of the Valar, whereas the Ring was forged by Sauron, one of the Maiar.
Hmmmm. I thought I said that.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #33
Gwaimir Windgem

Oh, did you? Sorry, didn't see that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #34
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, did you? Sorry, didn't see that.
Just razzing ya.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #35
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I didn't mean that the Rings were literally Silmarils. I meant that they were intended to be similar.

Has anyone else noticed: Tolkien liked odd numbers, but not 5. Why not 5?

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:52 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
I didn't mean that the Rings were literally Silmarils. I meant that they were intended to be similar.

Has anyone else noticed: Tolkien liked odd numbers, but not 5. Why not 5?
It does seem strange, all the odd numbers doesn't it? I always thought it was coincodental, but maybe not. The Rings: 3, 7, 9, 1. The Nazgul: 9. The Fellowship: 9. The Silmarils: 3. The Palantiri: 7. You asked about the number five, well, the only time I can think of 5 being used is the Istari.

I know you didn't mean that the Rings were Silmarils, but there were sililarities. 3 Elven Rings, crafted by the Noldor of the House of Feanor. The Rings were of the elements of earth, and the Silmarils ended up there. They were both stolen by a great dark power, etc...

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 03:04 PM   #37
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

And don't forget that Fëanor had 7 sons and that Elrond had three children.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:27 PM   #38
Gwaimir Windgem

Actually, the Rings were never stolen. Sauron never touched them; that is why they were not corrupted.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-13-2002, 04:29 PM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Actually, the Rings were never stolen. Sauron never touched them; that is why they were not corrupted.
Right. I was refering to the 9 and 7.

Travel and Tourism Guide