Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2003, 04:12 AM   #21
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Why does it bug you that much? You weren't here - so I don't think you should be judging what I should forget or not forget. Just be concerned with what is said to you.
It doesn't, but I find it strange that you would cite old threads and posts as a reason for people being called anti-American. I'm not judging what you should do, but I was just recommending (apologies that it happened to be included in my reply to you) that unless there are 'fresh' anti-American comments, we should refrain from using such labels....?

Quote:
I don't care whether your against the war or not.
Which is a pity, as it tells me that my opinion doesn't matter to you, so what's the point of posting them?

Quote:
What led you to believe you were being labeled anti-American?
The statement was made in terms of the generalisation / labelling of people according to their views, not as an attack on JD or anyone specifically.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:19 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Which is a pity, as it tells me that my opinion doesn't matter to you, so what's the point of posting them?
If you read it in the context that it was included - you would know that it meant in regards to determining whether you are anti-American or not. Whether you're against the war or not - has no bearing on whether you are anti-American.
Quote:
I don't care whether you're against the war or not. That isn't what makes someone anti-American.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-31-2003 at 04:21 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:24 AM   #23
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
If you read it in the context that it was included - you would know that it meant in regards to determining whether you are anti-American or not. Whether you're against the war or not - has no bearing on whether you are anti-American.
I did, but the words "i don't care..." automatically leaves the recipient with a negative connotation, regardless of the context. Anyway, doesn't really bother me 'cos they're my opinions & I quite like the little buggers so much I have opinions about having opinions about them

Anyway, subject dropped from my side, 'cos I can see this could get nasty (due to the specific contextual problems of communication via Internet). Something like this IMO is best discussed face to face.

Quote:
Well see the great thing about it though, GW, is that it is debate at its finest (most of the time anyway ) and it is just something inherent in the human nature. I mean, the majority of us might go toe to toe in these threads with debate, but then in other threads we don't. Yes, some people might not ever get along, but the beauty of it is that we can debate civilly in one thread and then talk about something else in another thread like nothing ever happened...
Well put
Old 03-31-2003, 06:02 AM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The amount of times I've been labelled anti-American.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:12 AM   #25
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Ditto

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:15 AM   #26
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Well see the great thing about it though, GW, is that it is debate at its finest (most of the time anyway ) and it is just something inherent in the human nature. I mean, the majority of us might go toe to toe in these threads with debate, but then in other threads we don't. Yes, some people might not ever get along, but the beauty of it is that we can debate civilly in one thread and then talk about something else in another thread like nothing ever happened...
I agree with that, when it actually happens. Often, it rapidly descends into mud-slinging or just tedious tit-for-tat recycling of the same arguments.

Sometimes I think it would be more constructive to have threads just for people who broadly agree with each other. The most interesting political debate I've ever seen on TV was a collection of Tories (what IS the collective noun for Tories?) discussing the finer points of how best to exploit the masses. Apart from being truly terrifying (this was in the late 80s when it looked like Thatcher would be in power for the rest of eternity - oh wait - she still is, just wearing a suit.. D'OH), it's one of the very few occasions when I've seen TV debate go beyond party political name-calling.

So, I think I'll take my own advice

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:52 AM   #27
Elf Girl
Lurker

I wish someone would label me Anti-American.

I know what you mean, Gwaimir. That's why I stay out of the Iraq threads as much as I can.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:07 AM   #28
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Why do wish someone would label you "anti-American"?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Quote:
I wonder why that might be??

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-31-2003, 04:34 PM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I demand that you quote a source where I said that I hated Americans. Just because I am against what the Bush administration stands for, and against some of America's foreign policy does not make me anti-American. Sheesh. Now, how many times have I had to say that?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-31-2003 at 04:36 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:36 PM   #31
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Coney: I believe you have expressed distaste for Americans as a people (not as individuals), America as a country, and America as a nation.

BoP: While it's true I haven't been here that long, I've never read anything from you except about how evil America is (and how you have nothing against America).

If these are not anti-Americanism, I don't know what is.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:41 PM   #32
jerseydevil

Quote:
I demand that you quote a source where I said that I hated Americans. Just because I am against what the Bush administration stands for, and against some of America's foreign policy does not make me anti-American. Sheesh. Now, how many times have I had to say that?
It goes far beyond the foreign policy thing or the Bush administration.

Is THERE anything you think America has done right? I don't recall you saying you liked America for anything. All you've seem to have ever done is complain about everything American. Just because you agree with some Americans who share your view does not mean that you accept most Americans or their views.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #33
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Coney: I believe you have expressed distaste for Americans as a people (not as individuals), America as a country, and America as a nation.
Sorry but when has distate been akin to Anti??????

Anti-American implies that I am opposed to all facets, cultures and ideals, and their impact on the world.........if that were the case I would be posting Anthrax as we speak

Also because I've expressed no desire to travel to America, does not mean that I have distaste for the whole American people.........I have no urge to travel to Outer Mongolia, but I'm sure that some of the people or ok. The distaste towards American people I have mentioned comes from my own personal experience or experience of close personal friends

I'll agree with BoP......provide quotes that prove this Anti-American label that seems to be brandished so regularly on these boards.........or don't presume to know my feelings about all of American culture and world view

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:50 PM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

Is THERE anything you think America has done right?
Sure I do. America is very interesting historically, as it has many "firsts." That in itself is pretty cool. It's also given me some of my favourite programs - Simpsons, Seinfeld, Friends, Mad about You, Frasier... the list goes on. Then there's the 'moot which is run by crazy yanks. I'm really not anti-American, JD. I have tonnes of online friends that are yanks, and some real-life friends as well. I worked with someone from San-Fran a year ago, and the passion with which she talked about her home-town inspired me to visit there someday. San Fran sounds amazing. It's just unfortunate that we only seem to run in to each other on the subjects we clash. I maintain that I'm not anti-American.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:52 PM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
BoP: While it's true I haven't been here that long, I've never read anything from you except about how evil America is (and how you have nothing against America).
No, no. How evil the Bush administration is. There is a difference. (Ah dammit. Biting my nails again. *sigh*)
Old 03-31-2003, 04:56 PM   #36
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Why do wish someone would label you "anti-American"?
Not because I am, but because it would mean people are taking notice of the fact that the little twelve-year-old actually has political views.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 04-04-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:00 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Not because I am, but because it would mean people are taking notice of the fact that the little twelve-year-old actually has polital views.
Agism sucks, don't it. If it counts for anything, I value your views Elf Girl. And one more time: go your Mom!
Old 03-31-2003, 05:24 PM   #38
Elf Girl
Lurker

Thank you, BoP.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 PM   #39
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I have no urge to travel to Outer Mongolia, but I'm sure that some of the people or ok.
hey i want to travel to Outer Mongolia! Come on ya cowards. Push the envelope a little bit. grab a packpack and a staff and lets get walking. whose with me? But back to the point: I can understand why non-americans may have no interest at all in experiencing america since american culture is so pervasive almost everywhere on earth. Its probably all old for them (although its quite obvious they are not aware the sheer extent of america as a land and a group of people). American culture (or at least ficticious american culture) is beamed out everywhere primarily through american media and hollywood specifically and people probably get sick of it and think ok enough already. On top of that they have a strong distaste for american political thinking currently and are at least mildly disgusted with the loud borrish greedy american stereotype that we all know so well and this all combines to make the idea of actually exploring america distatesful. its a shame though because these people have no clue about the "real" america and just how much great stuff is out there between mexico and canada that they have no idea about. But I guess its understandable. we can be rediculous sometimes. its part of our culture. YEE HAW!

*strutting around like a retarded cowboy*

*now wearing horrible plaid pants and playing golf badly*

*now driving three SUVs simultaniously*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-31-2003 at 09:21 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:23 PM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

LOL!