Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #21
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Yes...I have a couple of novels in the first draft stage, so I'll need to rewrite them. I have no idea of where to start looking for a publisher. Once I find one, though...YEEHAA!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forfirith
I have also always dreamed to be published, but now I know that if this happens it's not very soon, so I just work and wait...
Well..not exactly in fact, because we are trying with little french sites to publish a magazin on the BoLT and I work with them..So maybe very soon...
Ooh! waht kind of stuff do you write? i do believe we had one entmooter who had her/his book published. If I remember correctly, it was a book about the Ring of the Nibelungs, a la Wagner, but also inspired by the old poems that that composer himself was inspired by.
The only thing I remmeber about that mooter was that he/she had "Dragon" somewhere in his/her name.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #23
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Yes...I have a couple of novels in the first draft stage, so I'll need to rewrite them. I have no idea of where to start looking for a publisher. Once I find one, though...YEEHAA!
Christopher Paolini published his with his parents printing press, and his book got around to someone from a bigger publisher...and bam! the deal was made. I would try that maybe

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #24
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Only problem...my parents don't have a printing press
I'm in the process of rewriting my first fantasy novel, though. I found this site to be helpful for would-be authors seeking to be published.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Looks to me that the most effective way of kicking down editors' doors is to use a literary agent (publishing version of a stonefoot ogre).

You need to find one who ACTUALLY likes your stuff, and who thinks your stuff is worthy of his/her time to knock on doors to get someone with money to actually READ it.

As for whom this person might be: Still looking, fellow 'mooters.

The most profound bit of widsom this old man might offer?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER FALTER. NEVER LET THE CRITICS DISSUADE YOU.

NON ILLEGITIMI CARBORUNDUM!

And remember this: Think of all those who wrote all the classics of literary history: THEY were working with a quill dipped in ink. YOU are working on a modern computer.

And above all: YOU are the only one who can stop your writing.

Last, but not least, even if you never get published, at least you've fully entertained yourself.

Keep it up, and never surrender to doubt.

-bro
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #26
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I'm with Bropus there.

I'm actually at a stage now where I'm going to post my cover letter and first three chapters to an agent and see if I can get a foot in the door, as it were. If it doesn't work with that one, well...I have a list. I'm ready for rejection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bropus
Keep it up, and never surrender to doubt.
Wise words.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #27
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I am going to try self publishing on the internet. There is a site that prints the books as people order and buy them. You format and upload the manuscript yourself onto the site after getting it copyrighted. then people, if they like the discription of the book on the site order it and get a printed copy in book form. I am formatting my novel as a write it. My brain creates stuff very quickly. I figued this is the best way for me to start out.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote