Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #21
Anglorfin
Alasailon

My mom has told me that my first word was "stick".

As a little kid I was (and still am) a constant liar. (In person that is, over the net I have nothing to dance around so why bother lying.) Anyway because of my reputation I quickly became the older brother that everything got blamed on. Even if I tried to be good I'd get no recognition and the praise would always go to my younger brothers and the blame would always get placed on me. I remember one incident where I saw my brother ripping down window curtains but before I could say anything my dad came in and asked me what was going on. I said that my younger brother was ripping down the curtains but for some reason he just smacked me and then smacked me again and said "That one was for lying." I was bitter for a long time, but ultimately it taught me that it's not worth it even to try and tell the truth, thus solidifying the need in my mind to lie constantly to my parents.

On another note
I wish I still believed in Santa. Because your childhood was so awesome when there was a magical guy that showed up every once in a while to give you a lot of presents.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:18 AM   #22
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
As a little kid I was (and still am) a constant liar. (In person that is, over the net I have nothing to dance around so why bother lying.) Anyway because of my reputation I quickly became the older brother that everything got blamed on. Even if I tried to be good I'd get no recognition and the praise would always go to my younger brothers and the blame would always get placed on me. I remember one incident where I saw my brother ripping down window curtains but before I could say anything my dad came in and asked me what was going on. I said that my younger brother was ripping down the curtains but for some reason he just smacked me and then smacked me again and said "That one was for lying." I was bitter for a long time, but ultimately it taught me that it's not worth it even to try and tell the truth, thus solidifying the need in my mind to lie constantly to my parents.
whoa... I can relate to the blame thing, not about being a liar though. I was always a loner as a kid, staying quiet and out of the way. I guess that's what I did, instead of lying.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:28 AM   #23
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
whoa... I can relate to the blame thing, not about being a liar though. I was always a loner as a kid, staying quiet and out of the way. I guess that's what I did, instead of lying.
Ooooh, I would have hated to have you as a little sister. You would have gotten all you wanted. And my parents would have believed everything you ever said too

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 01-05-2004, 02:38 AM   #24
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ooooh, I would have hated to have you as a little sister. You would have gotten all you wanted. And my parents would have believed everything you ever said too
Nope. I once got blamed for my brother cussing... my mom figured right away that he must have gotten it from me. I'd never cussed a day in my life. But I still got blamed for it.

I tended to speak my mind when I was talked to, no matter how much trouble it got me into.

I once told my mother when I was 13 or 14 that I didn't want to get married a virgin... I wanted to have sex before marriage (and many times, with different guys) so that I wouldn't feel obligated to stay with a wife beater like my mom did for 10 years. Wow... I got the crap beat out of me like nobody's business. I don't know why I never learned to keep my opinions to myself.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:52 AM   #25
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Nope. I once got blamed for my brother cussing... my mom figured right away that he must have gotten it from me. I'd never cussed a day in my life. But I still got blamed for it.

I tended to speak my mind when I was talked to, no matter how much trouble it got me into.

I once told my mother when I was 13 or 14 that I didn't want to get married a virgin... I wanted to have sex before marriage (and many times, with different guys) so that I wouldn't feel obligated to stay with a wife beater like my mom did for 10 years. Wow... I got the crap beat out of me like nobody's business. I don't know why I never learned to keep my opinions to myself.

Ouch! That's really harsh. Still I have a feeling that my parents would think something like that was terribly cute. And then turn around and slap me for making you say such a thing. Quiet types got away with everything in my house. Ask Bombadillo

Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 AM   #26
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ouch! That's really harsh. Still I have a feeling that my parents would think something like that was terribly cute. And then turn around and slap me for making you say such a thing. Quiet types got away with everything in my house. Ask Bombadillo
Trust me, my sister was the angel and always did what my mother wanted. So, I think the situation would not have gone the way you think. My sister relished in telling on me, and watching me get my punishment (cruel bitch).
Old 01-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #27
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

My first word was Chester.

Can't relate to any of the above because not only am I an only child, I'm a spoiled only child from a sane household.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:36 PM   #28
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

The most pathetic thing I did as a child, was when I was like 6 or 7 years old. My friends told me to ask my mum how babies are made. So I did. And I then started laughing, and screamed: "You don't have to tell me, 'cause I already know!" And ran out to my friends again. Stupid child..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:30 AM   #29
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
My first word was Chester.

Can't relate to any of the above because not only am I an only child, I'm a spoiled only child from a sane household.
Whoa! What's that like? You don't have any crazy relatives or anything? All of my uncles are crazy but what I like most about that is I see myself becoming like them every day.

But now that I am a bit older I don't fight with my brothers anymore. Well, no I fight with them a lot more often it's just "different" I guess. Before we were really hating each other like "why was he born type of thing". Now we just yell at each other constantly for stupid stuff. Now that the youngest of my siblings has reached teenage years it's been all of us vs. the parents. Usually with ME taking the middle way!

An example of a childhood fight in the days of yore.

Me: "Blah blah yell blah don't touch my stuff."
Brother: "Blah blah you are dumb."
Me: "Shutup idiot"
::At this point I pick up some random object as my brother tries to run away from a beating and throw it at him. This sometimes ended in a bloody scalp for my brother::

An example of me fighting with my brothers now.

Brother: "No you do it this way."
Me: "No stupid this way."
Brother: "No. You're an idiot. How could you possibly do it that way?"
Me: "What?! Who does it your way? That's totally retarded."
Brother: "Only to you, cus you're an idiot."
Me: "No, look at how much time is wasted trying to do it your way."
Brother: "What are you talking about? It's easier! Now go get me something to eat."
Me: "No, I'll get you something to eat once you try it my way and see for yourself that it's easier and that your a retard."

This sort of thing goes on forever. We have too much respect for each other to just smack the other person so it drags out for days like this. My latest argument has lasted for the past week. We would bring it up at odd moments and start a yelling match any time of the day about it. It's so fun that way because I know it drive my mom crazy hehe

Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #30
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

My youngest son's first three words were

"yu"- 'fish' in Chinese
"fuding" - 'fish' in his mother's tribal language

and (you guessed it)

"fish"- in English - we spent a lot of time camping at the beach that summer

One of my earliest childhood memories comes from hearing neighbors' kids talking about Devils.

I have very vivid memories of looking through the storm sewers' gratings and "seeing" bright red devils- has always made me suspicious of childhood "recovered memories"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #31
Sanity's Demise
Elven Warrior

My first word was "beer" and my first sentance, i sht you not, was "i want beer".

yeah, lots of older brother drinking beer around me. I was the "oops" so i was born when my planned brothers were way older.

and the stupidest thing was when i was about seven was that once when my brothers had their friends over from Karate class, they would beat the ever loving crap outta me. So one day, dreading there return i ask them for a different option.

One of my brothers friends thought it would be funny for me to play "mattador" with our next door neighbors doberman. And the next thing i know, i was handed a blue sheet as a cape and a red table cover as my red flag and i was hoisted over the fence.

Needless to say, things didnt turn out well for the mattador and lucky for me the owner just got back from work 2 minutes later and i was rushed to the ER for being so badly ripped apart.

(They even were stupid enough to catch it on tape because they thought it would win them money if they sent it to america's funniest vidoe's or something, i still have the tape too)

"Think of Zombies. They're like Energizer Bunnies from hell! They don’t give up, they just keep going!"
-Casey on one of his favorite topics.
Sanity's Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #32
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

ALL of my parent's children were dropped/fell on floor as babies. Or fell off of something. Chairs and beds. My grandmother was over when my little sister was a baby and was watching her on the bed, when my sister decides to roll off the bed. My grandma was like 'DOROTHY (my mom)! OLIVIA FELL!' like flipping out and my mom's just laughing and she's like 'it's about time, it's happened to all our kids'

I don't think any of us fell flat on our heads, and some of us had carpet there lol but you never know, maybe there's a reason we're all weird....
Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #33
Sanity's Demise
Elven Warrior

Aye, i think that's the case with my family as well. Older generations included.

"Think of Zombies. They're like Energizer Bunnies from hell! They don’t give up, they just keep going!"
Old 01-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #34
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

maybe that's why society reportedly keeps getting dumber and dumber... each generation gets dropped on its head making us stupider by generation....

heh
Old 01-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #35
Sanity's Demise
Elven Warrior

Aye, could be. Or they could be torn around by the neighbors guard dog....*shudder*

Old 12-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #36
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

This is the coolest old thread I just found!

When I was three, and my baby sister was born, she was my WHOLE world. I doted on her like crazy! I remember this one time she was outside in her pram, in the front of our house by the flower garden, and I decided to pick the heads very carefully off all my mother's flowers and arrange them around my sister's head, like a halo or a flower tiara. I put a lot of thought into it! Momma figured it was too pretty to be angry with me for decimating her flower garden

I painted the kittens once, too, when I was four. I had this idea that they'd be so much prettier if they had different colours, like red and orange and blue. I used my mother's oil paints for this. Those poor, poor kittens had to be washed with turpentine. Honestly, I just thought they'd be so much prettier with the paint...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #37
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Does anybody remember when it was that they last (or ever) believed in Santa Claus?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #38
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I painted the kittens once, too, when I was four. I had this idea that they'd be so much prettier if they had different colours, like red and orange and blue. I used my mother's oil paints for this. Those poor, poor kittens had to be washed with turpentine. Honestly, I just thought they'd be so much prettier with the paint...
LMAO! I never had any pets. I think we'd beg my mom for a puppy, and cable TV, on a daily basis, but like everything else with my mom, it was "too expensive" or "a major project." I remember one instance where I was playing outside in the rain, maybe seven years old, and she called me inside, but utterly refused to tell me why I should come in. "Because I'm the mother and you're the kid" was her frigging BS motto. I took ten minutes to explain to her that that was not a reason in any sense of the word, and I wouldn't come in the house until she just gave me a valid reason to do so. (All I wanted was her to explain herself to me, which she never did. I always had to try and figure it out myself, hence my analytical tendencies now.) Finally she screamed "BECAUSE YOU MIGHT CATCH COLD!" then slammed the front door in my face and stomped inside and cried or something, defeated, and I was satisfied. I obviously don't come from a very rational family. Most of the arguments I have now, like Anglorfin described, are just me trying to convince people there's a better and effort-effective way to do something, and they'll always stray from my point and accuse me of bickering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglorfin
Even if I tried to be good I'd get no recognition and the praise would always go to my younger brothers and the blame would always get placed on me. I remember one incident where I saw my brother ripping down window curtains but before I could say anything my dad came in and asked me what was going on. I said that my younger brother was ripping down the curtains but for some reason he just smacked me and then smacked me again and said "That one was for lying." I was bitter for a long time, but ultimately it taught me that it's not worth it even to try and tell the truth, thus solidifying the need in my mind to lie constantly to my parents.
Nobody ever got praise, you crybaby. And dad hit me harder once. When Bobby (little bro) was about three, he stood up underneath the kitchen table and knocked his head and started crying, so I ran in there from the living room to see if I could help. A minute later dad shows up and says, "Oh, great, what did you do now?" and smacks my head around from palm to palm like Craig Marduk in Tekken. But that just made me realise he was a dumbass and made me hate irrationality that much more.

And you didn't get blamed for everything. Remember the time you blamed something on me that you did, and actually got me expelled from the dinner table, then you made fun of me as I walked out, so I punched you off your stupid chair and broke your glasses?

All in all my childhood wasn't bad, though any story worth telling about it invovles abuse or neglect, apparently.

I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus. I mean, every Christmas gift I've ever gotten clearly said on the label "to: Steve from: (someone other than Santa)." I always respected the purpose of his myth though. And I do recall my mom reavealing the truth to me though. I was thriteen, and walking into Party City to help her shop for a Christmas present for my little cousin, and she said, "by the way, you do know there's no such thing as Santa right?" It made me laugh at her. "Thirteen mom."

EDIT: Oh, yeah. First words. Mine was "Gajee," which wasn't really a word but just a name I must have invented for my older brother, Anglorfin, whose name is really Andrew. That's how I addressed him until I was like ten or something. I still call him that sometimes, often by accident, which is always weird.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 12-26-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #39
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
I remember one instance where I was playing outside in the rain, maybe seven years old, and she called me inside, but utterly refused to tell me why I should come in. "Because I'm the mother and you're the kid" was her frigging BS motto. I took ten minutes to explain to her that that was not a reason in any sense of the word, and I wouldn't come in the house until she just gave me a valid reason to do so.
This is exactly what I used to do, too. Always wanted a rational REAson why I was being told to do a thing, something besides "Because this is my house and because I said so," or whatever. Unfortunately for me, a great number of very violent acts of abuse inflicted upon me by my lovely step-father were somehow a result of me attempting to get a reasonable answer to a question about something or a real reason for something he demanded, and meeting his furious, incredibly violent refusal to grant said reasons. Ah, childhood.

Your relationship with your brother sounds like mine was with my sister!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 AM   #40
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Ah, isn't that frustrating!? That came up in coversation somehow recently, and I told my parents about how they would never answer my questions when I was little and my mom replied "well it's hard to answer 'why' to a child." I spent my childhood begging to understand 'why' everything. All I ever wanted or needed was an explanation, but they thought I was asking some sort of foolish hypothetical question every time or I was incapable of understanding the explanation. I hate hypothetical questions, and I obviously would have made sense of any explanation I got. That's something I vow to keep in mind while raising my own kids, and in fact that's how I do treat all of my youngest cousins now.