Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2002, 06:54 PM   #21
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Location: the darkest region of Mirkwood (and trust me, it's really dark)
Get ready for a long story.
My favorite moment would have to be when I went out on a Native American vision quest for three days. I went with a (kind of) youth group at my church. The administrators took us out into the middle of nowhere (south of Tacoma, the Kowichee range) in 35 deree weather. They gave us a sleeping bag, a journal and pen, two gallons of water, and a 7' by 3' piece of land that we could not leave except to go to relieve oneself of built up fluids (there were no bathrooms). We had to stay out there with no food, no music, just pen, paper, and ourselves.
Now to most people this would seem like torture (and that's what I thought it was at first) but then to be out there, completely alone, with nothing, opened my eyes to the world. It's a truly unique experience that I'll never be able to fully explain, but it was amazing nonetheless. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There was a sense of calm out there that I doubt I will ever feel again.
------------------------------------------------
"It's been a while since I've been 130." -Aaron Reichgott
You know, the world's full of apathy...but I don't care.
"I would've honked, but I might have hit you." -Janaki
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have gone to college that year." -Lewis Black
"I have one speed which varies according to my mood." -Kristy Pihl
"When I get a fever, I can hear my mom's voice in my head. But she's alive, not dead, so it's not as exciting." -Anna Crandall
"It doesn't matter what your body type is, as long as you're bloodthirsty." -Rachel Carlson
-------------------------------------------------
"My mind is a whirling miasma." -Jeff E.
"I think earth is the Alabama of the universe and we don't even know it."
"You can't just apologize the laziness of my bunnies away." -Taylor S.B.
I'm a sadistic massochist. I'm always happy.
WiseWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:58 AM   #22
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The day I met my son would have to be first. I had been flying for 24 hours and travelling through Siberia during the melt (very muddy and flooded). We finally reached the orphanage and he was handed to us. He had just had the chicken pox and was covered with the tar they used as a treatment. After just a day he was very bonded to us. Even though he probably didn't know what we were saying, we communicated as all very young children; with laughter. We all got very sick but stayed an extra day to see Moscow.

I've more but that's number one.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:48 AM   #23
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

How old was he ?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:57 AM   #24
Cirdan

We arrived the day after his second birthday. The Russian adoption was offcial on April 1. He's eight now.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #25
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

That's really cool, WizeWizard! I'd like to do something like that sometime.

I just thought - another very, very special moment for me was the day I got baptized. Just knowing that God had taken care of my sins and I was starting new with a clean slate - there's nothing like it. Also my best friend was there, and it was very, very special.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #26
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

I just remembered something else as well! Although, I've done this many times. We have a cabin up on San Juan island (near Roche Harbor, if anyone knows where that is). Every time I go up there I like to go to a place called South Beach on (of course) the south side of the island. It's always been a very special place for me, though I really have no reason for it to be special. Maybe it's some kind of spiritual connection with the sea.....
But anyways, as you're going to the beach, the terrain is kind of like a valley. But once you get to the beach, there are some great cliff formations; some small, some big.
One time I was exploring along the coastline and I swear I heard thunder. It was cloudy enough for there to possibly be lightning, but it didn't seem like it was that cloudy. I looked into the sky, and heard the thunder again, and yet there was no lightning.
As I contemplated this, I realized that the sound wasn't coming from the sky, but from the sea. There was a small (kind of) chasm in the rock that led straight down to the water. I found a perfect place to sit, and listened to the crash of the waves against the rock, imitating the sound of thunder. It was amazing.
So now every time I go up there, I go to the "thunder chasm" (as I call it) and simply enjoy the sights and sounds. In it's own way it's my own small vision quest.
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have gone to college that year." -Lewis Black
"When I get a fever, I can hear my mom's voice in my head. But she's alive, not dead, so it's not as exciting." -Anna Crandall
"It doesn't matter what your body type is, as long as you're bloodthirsty." -Rachel Carlson
Old 06-12-2002, 06:53 PM   #27
Cirdan

I have a place like that in Maine. Mount Dessert Island has a place called Thunder Hole. Nearby are isolated cliffs overlooking an ocean shelf. On the inland side of the ocean road is a small, rocky mountain called the Beehive. It's covered with blueberry plants that are wonderful. Beyond Beehive's peak is a pond to swim in. You can park the car and spend the entire day moving in totally different enviroments within a few miles.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-13-2002, 10:57 PM   #28
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by WiseWizard
We have a cabin up on San Juan island (near Roche Harbor, if anyone knows where that is).
San Juan Island, in WA?

Anyway, I'd have to say. . .a lot of things, really. Like summers with my two best friends on the trampoline, Going to Wellfleet, Cape Cod and swimming in the lake or going for walks or going to the beach, or camp, also on the cape, when my friends and I would wander around in the woods, and rafting on the Sarapiqui river in Costa Rica, the zipline in the cloudforest in Monteverde (Costa Rica again), and looking at the stars when we were backpacking on the Olympic coast. . .ah, sailing West. . .okay, so I have a lot of good memories. Sorta balances out with the bad. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #29
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

San Juan Island, in WA?
Yes, you're right. If you ever get the chance to go up there I recommend South Beach and a climb up Mount Young.
Oh yeah, which reminds me, my stepdad actually proposed to my mom on the summit of Mount Young (if you can call it a summit, the mountain's not very high). That was a very cool day. I got to keep the ring in my pocket (yessss, my preciousss, it was in my pocketsessss...)*wakes up* Sorry about that.
So anyways, it was a beautiful, sunny day. The one cool thing I remember about that day was that a hawk was flying in a continuous circle right above where we were. Even though it was probably just hunting for mice, it was still fairly interesting to see.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:32 AM   #30
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Yes, you're right. If you ever get the chance to go up there I recommend South Beach and a climb up Mount Young.
Yeah, I've been there, great place. Well, the island, anyway. Never been to Mt. Young.
Ever been to Orcas Island?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:23 AM   #31
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

Ever been to Orcas Island?
That I have. However, I only went up there for my 6th grade trip to Camp Orkila. So, I only got to see a very small part of the island. I had actually almost completely forgot about Camp Orkila. In fact, I would have to say that was yet another of my most memorable moments.
We were playing a game in the forest where all the students were split up into three groups: carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. the rules would take a lot of explaining, so pretty much the only things you need to know are that i was an omnivore and that if I tagged an herbivore I got more "lives" but if I was tagged by a carnivore I lost one of those "lives" (represented by rubber bands).
The game was going fairly well for me. I had about seven lives and was feeling the adrenaline rush from just running down a few herbivores. So I was just lurking among the trees, looking for more prey, when, all in one moment, I realized I had stumbled into a strategic meeting between the carnivores, and in that same moment did the classic move of snapping a twig underfoot. As you can imagine, I ran for my life, and practically all of them ran after me. I don't think I've ever been more worn out with more of an adrenaline high than that day.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:28 AM   #32
Eruviel Greenleaf

oh! oh! I know that game...sorta...at some camp I went to a long time ago, we played it. It's fun

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:34 AM   #33
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Agreed. Though, I think that if I had been a carnivore, the game would've been a lot more fun (at least for me)!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:38 AM   #34
Eruviel Greenleaf

Yeah, being on top of the food chain is always more fun

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #35
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Let's see . . . most memorable moments . . .

Definitely my friend's (Okay, she's my science teacher, too) smile. Her smiles are just . . . special.

Being at camp . . . it's in Maine, and it's really beautiful, and everybody's friendly.

I know this sounds kinda wierd, but --- swinging. It was the closest I've ever come to flying, and it's something I'll never be able to do again (I get dizzy really really really easily, but it wasn't that way as a little kid. To swing now would only be useful if I wished to rid my stomach of its contents.)

Hey, Wisewizard, that Native American Vision Quest thing sounds like fun. What happened if you filled up all your notebook pages? (Yes, you're talking to someone who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps to write).

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 07:37 PM   #36
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn

Hey, Wisewizard, that Native American Vision Quest thing sounds like fun. What happened if you filled up all your notebook pages? (Yes, you're talking to someone who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps to write).
Since we couldn't have anything more than what we brought with us, if you ran out of paper (which no one did, including myself) that would be all you could write.
I, like you, am one who will just write and write and write until I can't write anymore. However, I found that there were a few factors that simply stopped me from finishing my journal.
One was that once night fell, the paper was getting very hard to see, and my writing was getting very messy. So once my eyes started hurting from the strain, I just had to stop. The second thing was that, in that place, at that time, somehow, actually looking at everything around me and (for lack of a better word) experiencing it was more important than writing about it. Now this may seem impossible (heck, before I went through it, I thought it was impossible!), but that's how it felt.
If any of you out there ever get the chance to go on a Vision Quest, I recommend doing it. It'll change your view of the world. In fact, it was about a month after that quest that I began acting, of which I would never had tried before it.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #37
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn

Since we couldn't have anything more than what we brought with us, if you ran out of paper (which no one did, including myself) that would be all you could write.
I, like you, am one who will just write and write and write until I can't write anymore. However, I found that there were a few factors that simply stopped me from finishing my journal.
One was that once night fell, the paper was getting very hard to see, and my writing was getting very messy. So once my eyes started hurting from the strain, I just had to stop. The second thing was that, in that place, at that time, somehow, actually looking at everything around me and (for lack of a better word) experiencing it was more important than writing about it. Now this may seem impossible (heck, before I went through it, I thought it was impossible!), but that's how it felt.
If any of you out there ever get the chance to go on a Vision Quest, I recommend doing it. It'll change your view of the world. In fact, it was about a month after that quest that I began acting, of which I would never had tried before it.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:36 PM   #38
TinuvielChild
Padawan

You know, this thread reminds me a whole lot of "Little things that make you happy" a while back. Vision quests sound like they're incredibly cool! Note to self: Go on a vision quest sometime.

Hey, anyone ever been to Assateague Island, in Maryland? (Out of the book Misty of Chincoteague) I went there with my two best friends over Memorial day break, it was like spending 3 days in heaven. It was incredible. We went in an RV, and parked almost on the beach. We stayed out late on the beach and watched the waves under the moonlight and had enlightening conversation. I learned how to bodysurf, and we made s'mores and saw wild ponies. It was absolutely indescribable in its beauty.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #39
Jadera
Elven Warrior

My favorite moments...hmmm....

Definitely being in downtown Chicago. We go there about once a year (to visit family) and to me it's the best place in all the world. Just the amount of life there, and I feel so protected within the heart of the city. I love being there.

Being with my friends, definitely, but more than that, really connecting to them individually. I'm more of a one-on-one person, and I love getting to know what makes people tick, what makes them as a individual human being and clicking with that.

Getting lost in music or a really good book. You know what I mean, that feeling of being totally swept away into a new place and time.

Being with my family, when all is calm in our structure.

Can you tell I'm a bonding type of person?

Seeing my bestest friend in the whole world, whom I only get to be with once a year. Those moments are special.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:22 AM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Don't all take off to the hills, but I had a special moment today. I dragged myself and the BF off to Devonport (on the ferry) and we climbed up Mt Victoria (a dormant volcano), only instead of taking the path, we just climbed up the side of the peak (it was almost vertical)! It was hysterical... he was tripping and I was giggling... And we finally reached the top and just collapsed down onto the seat and looked out over the harbour and city views. Magnificent! Breathless, and giggling, and talking about all the crap under the sun. We sat there for hours! And then we wandered around the summit and I pointed out all the archaeological bits to him - the summit has a history of over 500 years and you can still see all the pits, scarping and terracing that the maori people carved into the mountain in terms of both defense and agricultural forms. Next I plan to drag him to One Tree Hill (another volcano with archaeological features)... it's considered to be up there with the pyramids of Giza in terms of sheer man power... *sigh*

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-23-2002 at 02:25 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote