Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 PM   #21
Darth Tater
The man

Hey, I wouldn't mind going to a slaughterhouse. Rare meat doesn't fase me, and I've helped prepare a whole fish before, one my dad caught. I also love dissecting dead things.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:02 PM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've dissected things before too, still don't wanna eat them though.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:26 PM   #23
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

YES!!! A veggie thread!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
What I think is dumb is when people are vegetarians because they don't want to "kill innocent animals". When you buy meat at the supermarket, its already dead. And whether you buy it or not, the animal is already dead, so you might as well eat it. And by not eating meat, you won't be saving any animals. The cow farms are still gonna raise cattle just to have them slaughtered in the end whether you eat them or not.
Actually, there's an economic theory behind it.

I go to the supermarket and don't buy meat. The meat I don't buy is bought by someone else. But the total amount of meat bought is less. And if you have enough vegetarians, the meat not bought accumulates, and less cows are needed for consumers. In effect, you're decreasing the demand. Less demand = less supply = fewer animals killed.

Which is why I never buy food containing meat, even if I could take the meat off (like a pepperoni pizza, for example) - technically I'm still "consuming" the meat on the market, and that defeats the whole point.

Why don't I eat meat?

1) I don't like it.
2) I don't have to eat it, and I can save life by not eating it.
3) Since I don't know where life/consciousness comes from, it makes me vaguely uncomfortable to be part of destroying it.
4) The animals have no chance. At least if I were an Indian eating buffalo, the buffalo would have a chance to defend itself against the hunters.
5) I feel sort of bad about eating domesticated animals - it's basically the same as eating a cat or dog (which people do in other countries). We tamed them, bred all the strong instincts out of them, then we kill and eat them.
6) If I think about it too closely, it sounds gross (eating dead muscle cells? )
7) I like saying "I'm a vegetarian."
8) I get special food on band trips, etc (no McDonald's for me, heh heh heh!)

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:47 PM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
I feel sort of bad about eating domesticated animals - it's basically the same as eating a cat or dog (which people do in other countries). We tamed them, bred all the strong instincts out of them, then we kill and eat them.
I'm a vegie too, but this argument isn't relevant, since the animals ARE getting some advantages through domestication, ie easier access to food, more mating prospects, etc. It's a symbiotic relationship. However, modern domestication, has gone beyond kill what you need to eat, to kill some more to make MORE profit. This is what sickens me, that life has been made into a commerical quantity.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:09 PM   #25
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I'm a vegie too, but this argument isn't relevant, since the animals ARE getting some advantages through domestication, ie easier access to food, more mating prospects, etc. It's a symbiotic relationship. However, modern domestication, has gone beyond kill what you need to eat, to kill some more to make MORE profit. This is what sickens me, that life has been made into a commerical quantity.
Yeah, but it's not like they had a choice in this relationship. They don't even know it exists. I mean, I know most animals are far too dumb to make that kind of choice, but still - if they were, I doubt they'd consider the easier life fair payment for being killed and eaten in the prime of it. And yes, modern mass-production of meat is pretty gross.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 03-31-2002, 09:15 PM   #26
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
You folks don't ever need to go to the Swamp Supper they have around here. They have any kind of meat you could want. Shrimp, crab, frog legs, goat, quail, hamburger, rabbit, and the list goes on. Goat was pretty good, but a little tough. Anyway, this is just my way of getting around to my question. I posted this question in the meat eating thread and I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Would you consider chitlins meat? (That's pig intestines for those of you outside of the South) Or how about haggis? Or caviar? (Not bad. The caviar, not the haggis) You probably would, since it comes from a pig, but what are your thoughts on the foods I mentioned?
I feel kind of bad answering this on a veggie thread, but since you asked politely...
Of course entrails are meat! Haggis isn't meat. I've had it and I was not impressed. It was just heavily spiced oatmeal. I think I was expecting more in the way of chopped up internal organs to be mixed in with the oatmeal. Caviar is fish eggs, so it's king of like asking if you think chicken eggs are meat. Eggs is eggs. Very nutritious. I don't like caviar. Too salty. yuk!
As for what I eat at home, I'm pretty flexible. Cow tendons, tripe, chicken gizzards (my favourite! ), lungs, spleens and so on. Quail, snake, frogs. Edible seafood is anything you can pull out of the water, as long as it's not poisonous. Actually, these things are considered treats. "Normal" meat is for everyday. But I've never tried rabbit, although I know where to buy it. Never tried dog. I heard it's really good and very distinctive, but its not legal where I live. The SPCA would throw fifty fits. Is this Swamp Supper a restaurant or a market?
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:17 PM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
YES!!! A veggie thread!!

Actually, there's an economic theory behind it.

I go to the supermarket and don't buy meat. The meat I don't buy is bought by someone else. But the total amount of meat bought is less. And if you have enough vegetarians, the meat not bought accumulates, and less cows are needed for consumers. In effect, you're decreasing the demand. Less demand = less supply = fewer animals killed.
I respect your views and commend your knowledge of the economics. However, the unwanted meat does get dumped on to countries such as the one I'm in. It results in cheaper meat as far as the consumers here are concerned.
Normally, people buy fish and other cheaper food products caught in the sea. With the lower prices, they can now afford more chichen, pork, and beef products.

An Mirille, I like trying those dishes; but I think I'll discuss them in the other thread.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-31-2002 at 09:24 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:30 PM   #28
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn

I respect your views and commend your knowledge of the economics. However, the unwanted meat does get dumped on to countries such as the one I'm in. It results in cheaper meat as far as the consumers here are concerned.
Normally, people buy fish and other cheaper food products caught in the sea. With the lower prices, they can now afford more chichen, pork, and beef products.

An Mirille, I like trying those dishes; but I think I'll discuss them in the other thread.
Ah. Didn't know that. Still, if there were more vegetarians we'd produce fewer meat products. Oh well.

So anyone got any good vegetarian recipes?

Old 03-31-2002, 09:34 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:

Ah. Didn't know that. Still, if there were more vegetarians we'd produce fewer meat products. Oh well.

So anyone got any good vegetarian recipes?
Mmmmmm.... porcini & fieldmushroom risotto.... mmmmm...... teriyaki tofu sushi mmmm.... (I make the restaurant down the road make it for me!)
Old 03-31-2002, 09:37 PM   #30
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Don't you love vegetarian restaurants? There aren't many, but they're good ones! And bean sprouts!! I love bean sprouts.

Old 03-31-2002, 10:57 PM   #31
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

mirrille, thank you for your answer to this carnivore. The Swamp Supper something some of my dad's friends put on at a cabin in the swamp. (hence the name) It's an annual event and it is for men only. (sorry ladies) Everyone brings exotic food (previously mentioned) and they have a Christian speaker. It only happens once a year, and it attracts about 700-1000 men from Alabama and other states. I saw some from New York. This year was my first year, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to going back. I actually thought the goat was barbeque beef, but I tried it anyway. Next year I might try some frog legs.

Hope that answered your questions about the Swamp Supper.

By the way, I actually liked caviar. A girl in my class at school brought some for us to try. If you put it on a cracker with butter, you don't taste it. It just tastes like a salty cracker with butter.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 05:41 AM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I may eat meat but I refuse to eat it if's only a delicasy. No foie grasse, no frog legs (sorry Khamul), no kaviar, definately no whale and CERTAINLY no bushmeat! Food is to eat not to toy with or enhance social status by eating that particular sort of food.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:53 AM   #33
Nibs
Head Hollara

I've lightly pondered becoming a vegetarian, but it's hard to imagine myself giving up that major staple of my diet. Could someone expound the pros/cons of making this decision? I can only think of the cons from my one-sided view, but I'm sure there are some benefits that I overlook.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 05:56 AM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
I've lightly pondered becoming a vegetarian, but it's hard to imagine myself giving up that major staple of my diet. Could someone expound the pros/cons of making this decision? I can only think of the cons from my one-sided view, but I'm sure there are some benefits that I overlook.
The thing I enjoy about vegetarianism, is that it forces you expand you diet for the variety... But, it's a personal thing, and unless you completely think it's the right thing for you, then there's no real point in discussing the pros and cons.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:05 AM   #35
Nibs
Head Hollara

So, that's the only reason? It's "right for you"? Surely there must still be some mentionable benefits, even to an uncouth omnivore such as myself.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:14 AM   #36
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh probably. Not really my field of expertise... I did mention the calcium thing earlier on in this thread: reduced calcium intake from meat, whereas soy products don't. Plus there's carcinogines from certain types of meat, and cooking processes. There's probably a whole bunch of other stuff, but I can't remember off hand....
Old 04-01-2002, 11:07 AM   #37
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

www.vegsoc.org has some good recipes!yum!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:12 AM   #38
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Ok. I have the whole list of additives that arent suitable here:

* E120 cochineal * E542 edible bone phosphate * E631 sodium 5'-inosinate * E901 beeswax * E904 shellac * calcium mesoinositol hexaphosphate * lactose * sperm oil * spermaceti

Possibly animal-derived additives
If you find a product which contains one of the following additives there is no way of ascertaining whether or not it is suitable for vegans. The only course of action is to contact the manufacturer for further details.

* E101 riboflavin, lactoflavin, vitamin B12 * E101a riboflavin 5'-phosphate * E153 (believed animal-free version only may be used in food) carbon black, vegetable carbon * E161(b) lutein * E161(g) canthaxanthin * E236 formic acid * E237 sodium formate * E238 calcium formate * E270 lactic acid * E322 lecithin * E325 sodium lactate * E326 potassium lactate * E327 calcium lactate * E422 glycerol (glycerine) * E430 (believed to be no longer permitted in food) polyoxyethylene (8) stearate, polyoxyl (8) stearate * E431 polyoxyethylene (40) stearate, polyoxyl (40) stearate * E432 polyoxyethylene sorbitan monolaurate, polysorbate 20, tween 20 * E433 polyoxyethylene sorbitan mono-oleate, polysorbate 80, tween 80 * E434 polyoxyethylene sorbitan monopalmitate, polysorbate 40, tween 40 * E435 polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate, polysorbate 60, tween 60 * E436 polyoxyethylene sorbitan tristearate, polysorbate 65, tween 65 * E470(a) sodium, potassium and calcium slats of fatty acids * E470(b) magnesium slats of fatty acids * E471 glycerides of fatty acids, glyceryl monostearate, glyceryl distearate * E472(a) acetic acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids, acetoglycerides, glycerol esters * E472(b) lactic acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids, lactylated glycerides, lactoglycerides * E472(c) citric acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids * E472(d) &emdash; tartaric acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids * E472(e) mono and diacetyltartaric acid esters of glycerides of fatty acids E472(f) mixed acetic and tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids * E473 sucrose esters of fatty acids * E474 sucroglycerides * E475 polyglycerol esters of fatty acids * E476 polyglycerol esters of polycondensed fatty acids of castor oil, polyglycerol polyricinoleate; polyglycerol esters of dimerised fatty acids of soya bean oil * E477 propylene glycol esters of fatty acids; propane-1,2-diol esters of fatty acids * E478 lactylated fatty acid esters of gylcerol and propane-1,2-diol * E479(b) thermally oxidised soya bean oil interacted with mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids * E481 sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate * E482 calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate * E483 stearyl tartrate * E491 sorbitan monostearate * E492 sorbitan tristearate, span 65 * E493 sorbitan monolaurate, span 20 * E494 sorbitan mono-oleate, span 80 * E495 sorbitan monopalmitate, span 40 * E570 fatty acids (including myristic, stearic, palmitic and oleic), butyl stearate * E572 magnesium salts of fatty acids (including magnesium stearate); calcium stearate * E585 ferrous lactate * E627 guanosine 5'-disodium phosphate, sodium guanylate, disodium guanylate * E635 sodium 5'-ribonucleotide * E640 glycine and its sodium salt * E920 L-cysteine hydrochloride * E1518 glyceryl mono-, di- and tri-acetate (triacetin) * calcium hepatonate * calcium phytate * diacetin, glyceryl * leucine * monoacetin * oxystearin * and any unspecified flavourings

That is for vegans but for veggies its probably only
E120 E542 E631 E901 E904

It's hard being a veggie

But rewarding cos in a vegetarians average lifetime, they save 1 acre of rainforest!

Old 04-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #39
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Why are
-E120 cochineal * E542 edible bone phosphate * E631 sodium 5'-inosinate * E901 beeswax * E904 shellac * calcium mesoinositol hexaphosphate * lactose * sperm oil * spermaceti-
bad for you/the environment? Are they all simply animal biproducts? But how does using beeswax hurt the bees?

There are some ways to tell if an animal has been inhumanely slaughtered- I worked at a summer stock theatre last summer and our chef was really excellent, not just in how he cooked but also about the food he was preparing. He received (x-#) of chickens in one shipment from a company to find them all w/ burst blood vessels in their necks/body because they had been wrung/beat... bad bad things. He called the company, complained, promised to never buy from them again and I think he either threatened/or actually did report them...
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:13 PM   #40
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Well the vegetarian society's definition of a vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, fish or animal by-products. Which would explain the beeswax etc...
added to that:

Someone who doesnt eat eggs, cheese, milk is a vegan as you probably know but

Someone who does while still being a vegetarian is a 100% lacto ovo vegetarian

and someone who doesnt eat meat for the cruelty of animals is a humanitarian vegetarian so basically:

If you ate eggs and was against animal cruelty you are a:

100% lacto ovo humanitarian vegetarian!!!!

Now try telling that to someone who asks your dietry needs!