Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #21
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

....Great in war, skimpy in names.....Fun thread! Lotesse, you post a question since you got it.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #22
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Nice! It just goes to show, the first thing that pops into one's head is often the right answer. Used to happen to me all the time during tests in school; you gotta learn to trust your inner voice I guess, or whatever. Anyway.

This is easy enough:

What's the name of the first person to die in the American Revolutionary War?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:42 AM   #23
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

crispus attucks?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #24
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

DAMN you're fast. Ya-Vol, that's the guy. It's all yours, Shah!

Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #25
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Spock: I thought someone would guess that . You're WRONG . Poor you .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hm, judging from memory the oldest Chinese writing was at least a few millennia old. Paper money is of course a different matter so I consulted google, out of curiosity.

Takin the hint about the "loosely termed paper" I came up with this:

"China was the first country to use paper money. Ancient paper money can be traced back to the Pai-Lu P'i-pi (white deer-skin money) of Han Dynasty (140 BC) and the Fei-Chien (flying money) of Tang Dynasty (618 AD)."
Sorry for taking this long! I didn't notice that anyone had responded, stupid me. Thanks for doing me the honor of researching to find an answer .

You may well be completely correct that 140 BC is when paper money was first developed in China. The date I had goes a little further back, but pretty close.

Here's what I was thinking of:

Around 300 BC, "paper" money was widely used in the Mediterranean Carthaginian Trading Empire. Symbols of value were stamped onto strips of leather in that empire and widely distributed. This was, I believe, the first major use of paper money. While it wasn't paper that was being used, the stamped value and overall idea behind the process was precisely the same as is used in modern cash.

This is an extremely obscure piece of trivia, and I like your answer a good deal. I've just been doing so much research about Carthage that I accidentally picked this bit of information up. The book I was reading said it was "the first paper money". I wonder if anyone even before the Carthaginians used the idea, however. Our historical data is limited by what we have currently discovered.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #26
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Carthagian leather money - well you learn something new everyday. Good question Lief
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #27
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Here's what I was thinking of:

Around 300 BC, "paper" money was widely used in the Mediterranean Carthaginian Trading Empire. Symbols of value were stamped onto strips of leather in that empire and widely distributed. This was, I believe, the first major use of paper money. While it wasn't paper that was being used, the stamped value and overall idea behind the process was precisely the same as is used in modern cash.
Carthago!

*hits desk with head*

D'oh! I misread your question!

I thought it was a given that the first 'paper' money was created in China and that the World book just gave a wrong estimation of when. So I didn't think of searching outside China.

Typical... Oh, this is hilarious.

Anyway, thanks for answering so soon. It was a very intriging question.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #28
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lief, are you gonna give us a new question now? I, for one, am a history & trivia nut; I eagerly await the next brain-twister...

Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #29
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Carthagian leather money - well you learn something new everyday. Good question Lief
Thanks . It would be tough to find another that has an incorrect answer available from most history books and websites. That's why I particularly like this first question; it proves most history books wrong . You'd have to be a highly unusual person to either know the answer to it, or to be able to find the answer to it. That's also why I thought it was an interesting one to start the thread with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Lief, are you gonna give us a new question now? I, for one, am a history & trivia nut; I eagerly await the next brain-twister...
I'm very fond of history too. I'm not very good at random trivia; it must be a subject that I'm well acquainted with. I'm selective too, preferring to study some time periods and locations over others. I love history, though.

Here's another question. Like the last one, you almost certainly would have to research to find the answer, though research might yield correct answers to this one, rather than misleading information like in my leather money question. Hopefully it doesn't yield multiple answers.

Guesses are allowed for this one. Even if people don't know anything about the culture or history, they're allowed to guess. This also is very obscure, after all. Just one guess is permitted for each person.

Question: When Portuguese Captain Jorge Alvares visited the port of Kagoshima Japan in 1547, what aspect of the natives' behavior utterly shocked him?

Hint: If someone did in Portugal what was done in Japan, he or she would be locked up in prison, or more likely killed. It was commonplace, regular behavior in Japan, however.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-15-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #30
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

never mind, I see he went to both china AND japan... I can't guess this one; I'll look & think some more.

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-15-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #31
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

sodomy?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #32
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
never mind, I see he went to both china AND japan... I can't guess this one; I'll look & think some more.
I actually don't know much about ancient China, though I'm certain it is a fascinating history. I do know a good deal about Carthage though, and it's from studying that civilization that I learned about "the first paper money".

I went and read a book on Japanese ancient history, because I knew nothing about the country's past. Japan is the only country I've ever done that for, so the fact that I can ask this question is just a happy fluke .

What historical places and time periods fascinate you most, Lotesse?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-15-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:28 PM   #33
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Everything! All of it. I'm fairly non-committal about this, man, I just love all history, all of it. That narrows it down a little, huh!

Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #34
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson

Question: When Portuguese Captain Jorge Alvares visited the port of Kagoshima Japan in 1547, what aspect of the natives' behavior utterly shocked him?

Hint: If someone did in Portugal what was done in Japan, he or she would be locked up in prison, or more likely killed. It was commonplace, regular behavior in Japan, however.
sodomy?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #35
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm just waiting before replying to see whether or not anyone else guesses.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #36
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Seemed like sodomy in the stuff I found. Specifically between older men and younger boys.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 AM   #37
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What I was thinking of was a quotation from the captain, in his writings. He expressed shock that the men and women of Japan bathed publicly in the nude. They did so on the streets, completely calmly. It shocked him.

Mine was a very vague question this time, however. I'll try to do better next time.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-19-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #38
Mercutio

I have one:

What war is this flag from?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #39
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

good one!

without googlin', i'm thinking king philip's war against the indians... but there were a couple of other one's against france too early on, i think
Old 09-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #40
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The American Revolutionary war, no?