Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2002, 09:16 AM   #21
Garina
Elf Lord

I agreed with some of the points she made, but I felt she was carrying the whole thing to extremes.
But then, I do still have hope for humanity which she seems to lack. I also find it very hard to believe that she is a Christian, as the intolerance she shows is eye-opening.

Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:22 AM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I agreed with some of the points she made, but I felt she was carrying the whole thing to extremes. But then, I do still have hope for humanity which she seems to lack. I also find it very hard to believe that she is a Christian, as the intolerance she shows is eye-opening.
Hmmm. Where do you get the idea that she is christian? As far as I can swing it, she's taking the piss out of them.

Yes, she's being extremist, BUT she is, as you say, bringing up some very valid points.

Hope for humanity? Gimme a break. While they're as deluded as they are, in terms of ideology - be it science as a mantra, or christianity, there is no hope. Eyes wide shut and all.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:27 AM   #23
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow, I guess my generation (baby boomers) got the job done! Reading this makes one think that the need for "sisterhood" is totally gone. I'm shocked! Is it really such a kinder,gentler place out there? Hmmm. I guess I'll go to AE's website and see whats up. Well, I couldn't finish it, Too much anger made it all a bunch of bulls***. I think things are better and if people use common sense, they'll go far. Of course it will never be perfect!
Oh yes, common sense means if you are a woman, get as far away from a woman hater as you can. They are out there.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-26-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #24
Darth Tater
The man

BoP, you want I should punch you with these here fisticuffs? A great weapon for the race of men!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:29 AM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Oh yes, commen sense means if you are a woman, get as far away from a woman hater as you can. They are out there.
"Common sense" is a purely subjective term which is based upon ones experiences in terms of culture and society. What may be acceptable in one society, ie feminism, may be completely abhorred in another. So be very careful what words you use to construct your arguments there.

(OTOH, it could be considered "common sense" to run from the scary man with the gun in any culture! )

Quote:
BoP, you want I should punch you with these here fisticuffs? A great weapon for the race of men!
Phroar, baby. You know how much that turns me on.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-26-2002 at 10:32 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:36 AM   #26
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

sorry, I do not argue professionally, common sense works for me. Examples of my particular brand of common sense are,keeping in mind that people might not be quite as dumb as you think, trying to remember to treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself, giving things a little time to work themselves out. whatever....I don't mean the scary man with the gun silly! I mean the good looking guy who purposefully gets you to fall in love with him, makes you dependent on him and then procedes to abuse you mentally and or physiclly cause it turns him on .

Last edited by Lizra : 05-26-2002 at 10:50 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:18 AM   #27
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
My history teacher told us something interesting about the word 'history'.

His...story.

Then he preced to say some feminists (and this is no joke) want to change it to herstory.

Idiocy.
i know. my sister gets this feminist magazine and there's a section in it called herstory. i think it should be ourstory.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:04 PM   #28
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

Well, Even though I am a girl, I think this whole femanism thing is really retarded. The only reason women have the femanism thing goin on is to gain more power and say over things!
Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #29
osszie
Elven Warrior

A really strange thing happened to the feminist movement in the UK about 7 yrs ago. The feminst movement became very voicerific in their demands so the government took step. They passed laws that demanded equal wages, regardless of sex. Equal (work related) opportunities for women etc etc

Then they raised the age for retirement pentions from 60yrs (fem.) to 65 yrs (as it had always been for male.).......the feminists quietend down a little after that

Personally I do believe in equal rites........if I ever have kids I would expect the 3 months maternity leave from work, as women get, instead of the poxy 6 weeks men currently get in this country

Equality can (in this country anyway) be a very double edged sword
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:30 PM   #30
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
Equality can (in this country anyway) be a very double edged sword
Interesting choice of analogy. Here in the states the symbol of justice is a woman holding scales and a sword (which symbolizes the idea, anyway, that justice cuts both ways).
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:48 PM   #31
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I love the whole concept of justice being a two edged sword! I also find it interesting what Catgirl said...the problem with feminism for me is that because I'm a girl everyone (especailly other women) expect me to want to study it and everything, and I don't really want to. It's not that I don't support it, it's just that I'm interested in other things.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:59 PM   #32
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Everyone should be aware of their rights regardless of what they are. I think what I have seen is that people are tired of being obsessed with it and letting it color every aspect of their lives. It's probably a sign that things are improving.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:46 PM   #33
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think its up to every woman to do her part. I think woman should be equal with men. But men will always be stronger than women, physically, and so can do some things better than women.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #34
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think humanism is a better word than feminism. The latter has become too biased, it makes me think of angry women blaming all men for all their difficulties in life. Still, I'm truly thankful for the women's lib generation, without them I don't think I would be educated and able to have a professional life, and be married and have children.
Quote:
But men will always be stronger than women, physically, and so can do some things better than women.
That's a generalization. True for most people, but there are individual differences, as with anything else.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:13 PM   #35
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Question: What do you think of giving women advantages over men as an incentive to 'wanted' (by the government) behaviour? I.E. when I applied at my university I got extra points because I was a woman. The argument behind this rule was that men got extra points for having served one year in the army. But it just meant a woman could serve in the army, apply at the university and get double extra points. The objective of the rule was also to get more women into technical professions, which of course also happened.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #36
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Come on. English is not the only language where the masculine pronouns refer to any group of people, while the feminen pronouns refer only to females. Why is this so hard to accept? (Besides, when you say 'mankind', you're saying just as much of the word 'woman', as when you say 'humankind') I think women need to stop reacting as if the Western world is still trying to keep them barefoot in the kitchen. It's ridiculous. It's grammatically incorrect to say "they", when we are referring to one person, and it's bulky, and hard to manage dozens of he/she's, or 'humans'. Grow up.

This is just the way the language is, and like I said, English is not the only language like that. spanish is the same way. In fact, don't bother with any Greek-based language--they'll all be like that. why say, ellos y ellas when simply ellos will do?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 12:57 AM   #37
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Feminism is not stupid, or at least it wasn't when the movement started. Now there are the stereotypes about it, and I think that some people are taking it to far (ex. herstory, which is ridiculous)

That article about women got me pretty pissed off, but the rest of the articles were pretty amusing.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:12 PM   #38
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

CAUTION: Discussion of feminism may make me yell.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, you'd like to have 'your' woman chained to the kitchen with half a dozen tykes, wouldn't you?
Old 10-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #40
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Okay, any one who says women and girls aren't up to hard physical training, that they can't keep up with men, that they aren't fit for a life of combat, let me tell you: As far as my plans go, I am going to prove that all wrong. I work harder than most boys (or girls, for that matter) in my grade. The fastest runners in my grade are all girls. Anyone who goes against women's rights ect. answers to me, and that includes my highly-biased writing teacher.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote