Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2003, 01:29 AM   #21
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
You mean where they acted differently from the books?
Yes, will edit post. Silly me.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:38 AM   #22
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Thought so.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:08 AM   #23
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Arwen, no doubt. I mean the "If you want him, come and claim him." line steals the show.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:23 AM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem

Hehe, that just made me think of Arwen as a quote "pervy hobbit fancier" unquote. Most amusing!

EW: "Please, please, there's enough of me for Elfmaidens and Ringwraith's alike!"

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-27-2003, 07:29 AM   #25
Millane
The Dude

i think Boromir was the best potrayed closely followed by Aragorn, Gandalf and Gimli... i cant comment now because it has been too long and they have grown on me now... Faramir was one of my least favorites in the book so i wasnt really dissapointed with David Wenham... but sean bean honestly what a legend
Old 01-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #26
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

The challenge with this film is making the audience believe that the Ring has a hold over people's minds. Boromir's scene in the snow on Caradhras made the most significant contribution of all the characters in getting that across. Also, the look he gave Aragorn in the Council was worth the admission price on its own.

However, they were all great. Except Frodo (ducks) who needs a wider range facial expressions.

I thought that McKellen was better in TTT than in FOTR, and would've stolen the show if only they'd given him more screen time.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:20 PM   #27
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Sean Bean as Boromir was fantastic . Yeah, he did subtle really well in a film where almost everything is screamed out to you. Anywho...after him, I think Sean Astin as Sam. Hes totally got the loving servant down, and the only reason I cant wait for Rotk is to see how they do Sam's scenes.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #28
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I can't choose... everyone was wonderfully casted and played their part expertly. I guess I might say Gollum, but Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir . . . all quite accurate and very compelling characters. Perhaps the only ones who didn't 'do it for me' would be Elrond, Arwen, Merry and Pip, and Aragorn to a lesser degree (I like his character in the movie too, but it's different from the book Aragorn).

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:35 PM   #29
Gwaimir Windgem

And Gimli isn't?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #30
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I forgot another person, I think Wormtongue was awesome!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:57 PM   #31
Noahamir
Hobbit

---Characters who I thought were portrayed very close to the book (personality-wise, not story-wise):

1.) Gandalf - Best
2.) Sam
3.) Bilbo
3.) Eomer
4.) Eowyn
5.) Legolas
6.) Boromir
7.) Ringwraiths
8.) Gollum
9.) Saruman
10.) Wormtongue
11.) Butterbur
12.) Galadriel & Celeborn - Much closer in Extended Version
13.) Arwen (Even though they changed her storyline alot, I thought they captured Arwen's personality very well from the book.)

---Characters who deviated from the book but I still enjoyed:

1.) Aragorn - (Only minor gripe is that he is portrayed as being relunctant to be king in the film.)
2.) Frodo - (They captured his strength of will and heart but I think they made him less intelligent and heroic in the film.)
3.) Gimli - (They made him a bit stupid and more funny, but I still couldn't help laughing.)

---Characters who deviated from the book that I haven't fully made my mind on yet if I liked it or not!

1.) Faramir - (Except for being tempted by the ring, was well portrayed - I think he will follow book much closer in ROTK.)
2.) Theoden - They made him pessimestic and less heroic.
3.) Merry & Pippin - (They started out as comic relief and very different in first film (especially Merry), but they got closer to the book in TTT. I am waiting to see if continue to improve in ROTK.)
4.) Elrond - (I thought they made him a bit too angry and doubtful toward men.)

---These comments are not about the quality of acting which I though was pretty superb throughout.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:25 PM   #32
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i like the way wormtounge was portrayed. im not sure who the actor is but he did a good job in his evilness. yeah.

im looking forward to seeing the captain that comes to greet gandalf, aragorn, ect. in the fields right before they assaulted mordor. i also wanna see the..... um....... what are they called again?

(runs downstairs, grabs tatterd ROTK book, runs back upstairs, crawls halfway into dogs crate to scratch her ears, sits down at computer, flips through pages, screans AHA!, procedes to type extremely quickly.....)

ghan-buri-ghan, headman of the wild men! thats it! okay, yeah. wanna see if pj gets them right, or ill be a wee bit pissed off. okay, maybe alot a bit pissed off.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400

im looking forward to seeing the captain that comes to greet gandalf, aragorn, ect. in the fields right before they assaulted mordor.
The mouth of Sauron...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:05 PM   #34
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
However, they were all great. Except Frodo (ducks) who needs a wider range facial expressions.
I wont deny that Elijah looks very nice as Frodo, but (to me) the only facial expressions he has is slightly pained and a cheesy grin.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #35
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
i like the way wormtounge was portrayed. im not sure who the actor is but he did a good job in his evilness. yeah.
Um that's Brad Dourif. He plays the voice of the evil doll Chuckie in Childs Play...Never seen it...just looked up his filmography. He also played a doctor in a movie with Brad Pitt.
I think that in FOTR I liked Gandalf the most...he had a sense of power and authority only an istari wizard can have, yet he also had a kindly grandfatherly air about him, Ian McKellen should've gotten that Oscar cause I dont think he did as well in TTT as he did in FOTR. Maybe it was because he wasn't as prominent. As for TTT my favorites go in this order: Sam, Gollum, Wormtongue, and Frodo.
I also liked Eomer, Eowyn (what a GREAT actress...perfect for the part. I loved her dresses), and Faramir. Yes after I got over the initial shock I began realizing that he did exactly what he did in the books and was as self sacraficial as he was in the books by letting Frodo and Sam go even though his life was forfeit. Oh and I LOVED all of the horses.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #36
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Gandalf

i loved the way gollum was portrayed, but i didnt like the way faramir was.in the book he was nicer and didnt take the hobbits all the way back to gondor
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #37
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Gandalf

i also liked the way legolas,aragorn, and gandalf were portrayed.i think the best was probably sean astin as sam
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:23 PM   #38
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
1. Sam
2. worm touge
3. frodo
4. gollum
5. the ents
6. lego
7. aragorn

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #39
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Sam Gamgee

i think they were all very good, but gollum, gandalf and frodo were the best~!

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:59 PM   #40
ChibiStrider
Sapling

Strider

STRIDER,STRIDER!!! The big version of me is the bestest!!