Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2002, 11:03 PM   #21
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Eh. not worth it.

Last edited by Tessar : 08-25-2002 at 11:08 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:04 PM   #22
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

And I was of course bringing up the other possibility... that we're the biggest accident the universe has known.
I'm not alone!
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:13 PM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That depends. Is it your dream or mine?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:19 PM   #24
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I believe that UFO's exist. Unidentified Flying Objects are objects that people can't identify (Duh!) and have nothing to do with aliens. I believe that aliens exist somewhere in the universe - there are billions and billions of galaxies out there. They could be billions of years ahead of us as the Big Bang occured about 16 billion years ago and Earth is only 4.6 billion years old. We could communicate with aliens using the periodic table of the elements and mathematics.

If aliens are here and so are years ahead of us in technology - why do they insist on being very secretive and keep giving anal probes to unimportant people? If they are so smart, why do they need to abduct so many people? Surely about ten people would be enough for thier research. Surely many people of government would know about it. Anyway, if the president knows, wouldn't Dubya had blurted it out by now - "Aliens and humans must learn to coexist"
Old 08-25-2002, 11:23 PM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Pulling over from the Ghosts thread.

Quote:
Cass:
Regarding aliens, yes there are billions and billions of stars and presumbly billions of planets, but there are many problems with intersteller travel. The fastest you can go is a bit less that the speed of light - 300,000 kilometres a second. Since the closest star is about 4 light years, away the fastest any alien will get here is 4 years. It would take us with current technology thousands of years. So the chances of aliens coming here - let alone a government conspiricy - is very small. The best way to determine whether there are aliens is to communicate via radio signals.
Quote:
JD:
To say that the current view of space travel is the only way to travel in outerspace is narrow-minded in my view. We hardly understand anything about the world around us. We can't say that anything is impossible - history should teach us that by now. There could be billions of technologies yet to be discovered that will enable us to travel from star to star system.
Quote:
Me:
I firmly believe that someday we will use the power available to us to travel in space. And I don't think it will be via a vehicle, but rather via something similar to wormholes. This is how I imagine that we will eventually explore the universe. Even if we manage to travel at 100 times the speed of light (which would probably kill us) we still wouldn't get very far. However, with the power of wormholes, the whole universe is literally at our fingertips in an instant.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 11:24 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:28 PM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
If they are so smart, why do they need to abduct so many people? Surely about ten people would be enough for thier research.
Well we use thousands of animals for our research. I'm sure aliens would just think of us as animals (which we are) and wouldn't treat us any different than how we treat monkeys.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:30 PM   #27
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

Well we use thousands of animals for our research. I'm sure aliens would just think of us as animals (which we are) and wouldn't treat us any different than how we treat monkeys.
Actualy I disagree JD. We are obveously a bit more than monkeys .

But I can see what you mean.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:32 PM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's all relative. To an advanced race, we might seem like monkeys. We still do horrifying "animal" like things like violence and rape and murder. We're really not that far elevated above monkeys in the first place.

Need I point out the overwhelming similarities between George Bush Jnrs facial expressions, and that of a chimp? In fact, watch any child lose his temper. You'll be able to see the similarities between the child and George... er... a chimp.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 11:34 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 PM   #29
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I really don't think we can build a spaceship that goes faster than the speed of light - Einstein is correct. I agree with BoP (again!), they only way would be by wormholes, although I don't think many people would like the thought of a black hole near the Earth.

Quote:
Good point, but is there any evidence of side effects or implants that can't be explained by Earthly reasons? If the aliens are using us for experiments, what would the use be? We experiment on animals to help find cures for diseases. Alien biology would be different from ours, so I can't see the point.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 PM   #30
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ok, good point.

But then again I would think that a race of such high INT that INT wise they make our brains look like monkeys would be able to do something to scan us or whatever so that they would only need 10 people right?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #31
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

BoP - you really have it in for Dubya, don't you?

We share something like 98% of our DNA with monkeys. I think we are equal with monkeys (and all animals) just a bit smarter (most of us anyway). I would hope that aliens would have a better society than ours. If they didn't perhaps they would have blown themselves up with nuclear weapons before they had advanced to interstellar travel.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:51 PM   #32
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, I didn't want to bring up the DNA as there are many who are not quite ready to know that a chimp runs America.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:51 PM   #33
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
BoP - you really have it in for Dubya, don't you?

We share something like 98% of our DNA with monkeys. I think we are equal with monkeys (and all animals) just a bit smarter (most of us anyway). I would hope that aliens would have a better society than ours. If they didn't perhaps they would have blown themselves up with nuclear weapons before they had advanced to interstellar travel.

Yes, I think that we are going to need to make peace after a while or else our tec won't actualy get any better.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:52 PM   #34
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

Good point, but is there any evidence of side effects or implants that can't be explained by Earthly reasons? If the aliens are using us for experiments, what would the use be? We experiment on animals to help find cures for diseases. Alien biology would be different from ours, so I can't see the point.
We don't only experiment on animals to make improvements on human lives. We also experiment on them to learn about them, such as their physiology, what they eat, the size of their brains, etc, etc. And i'm sure that aliens would want to know the same things about us.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:53 PM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Shall I bring in the theories about quantum foam?

Naw, not now.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:40 AM   #36
Sween
im quite stupid

I think the whole presumption that life will only be carbon based is wrong. as if the asumption they they will need oxegen and water. Im a great believer in evolution and the natral world and both are needed. the thing about planets and animals and plants is they need all 3 to work. if there is plant life of anykind they need animals to manage it that is why we are here to support the world we live in.

I think there is a small possiablity that aliens may have made contact and the government is rightly keeping it a secreat. But what would aliens want with us? Sure we have a degree of intellegence but asuming they have mastred inter stella travel they probably could not learn much from us and if they wanted to surely it would be easier to to look on the internet.

WE would not offer much to a more advanced species. Infact if they are out there and they have studied us they would know that we are not the friendlest and understanding of people and will want little do with us.

I think the film first contact summed up pretty well when we will meet aliens and thats pretty much as soon as we develop a means to get to them then they will probably come and have a look in at us and say hello.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:54 AM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, as I said before, I'd like to believe in divergent evolution. However, since there is no evidence (either of how life began, or of other "alien" species) to base this upon, I am forced to consider both models of evolution as possibilities. (Convergent vs divergent)
Old 08-26-2002, 08:38 AM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I believe in UFO's but not as sweet humming flying saucers filled with little green of grey cute looking aliens. Unidentified, flying objects, that could be a lot.

I saw the Belgian Triangles and it was pretty cool, but it wasn't more than a couple of eerie dots of light at night and a lot of excitement. (In 89-90 Belgium was hit by a massive wave of UFO sightings. With a peak of more than a thousand reported sightings by both militairy and civilian sources on March 30-31. The lights were mostly flying into triangular formation, hence the name. They were said to be both capable of hovering and flying at high speed. Two F-16's were sent up. The images were pretty nifty.) For all I know it could have been the Americans testing their new stealth aircrafts. That was also one of the foremost accepted explanations since it was roughly of the same shape. I think real intelligent aliens have a something better to do than put on a lightshow for us.

More information on the Belgian triangle can be found here:http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf072/sf072g15.htm and
http://bjbooth.topcities.com/Belgium.html

There is little doubt that the universe holds other intelligent life. But where and how, we don't know yet. They may be more technological advanced or they may be not. But if they happen to pass our little planet I sure as hell hope they've got something like a non-interference directive. Any alien with a little sense should make a very large detour around earth.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:09 AM   #39
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes
LOL!

UFOs . . .
Unidentified Food Objects.
Unidentified fried objects, too, depending on what you eat.
Unidentified Feared Objects . . . things that go *bump* in the night.
Unidentified Flying Objects . . . *Is promptly struck with some unknown type of hammer her 3-year old brother just lobbed in her direction.*

Yeah, I believe In UFOs. I see 'em daily -- and they're UFOs until I figure out what they are. *Ducks to avoid another badly launched missle*

As for aliens . . . of course we're not alone. The universe is huge.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka

Last edited by Laurelyn : 08-26-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:24 PM   #40
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

You know, UFO's could be secret experiments by the government.

Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote