Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2002, 05:38 AM   #21
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

It would suck if this aspect of Gimli's character was deleted altogether, because I think it's a really interesting part of him.

So far, in the movie, he seems like a gruff, semi-awkward guy with a weird accent - way different than how I pictured him from the book!
Agreed! He's probably the strongest personality from the whole FOTR (or maybe Sam), and I think the one which was least well portrayed in the film (largely due to his lines, rather than the performance; I'm sure he'll have more to do in TTT).

Quote:

(Of course, the accent makes sense, because as Sam said, "That Dwarf language must be a real jaw cracker!")
I think John Rhys Davis was trying to give him a Scottish-type accent, but being Scottish myself, he wasn't fooling me (though maybe it sounded fine to others). Pippin at least had a genuine accent.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:04 AM   #22
Kallasilya
Hobbit

My favourite

The scene that I would love to see in T2T would have to be the one where Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas find Merry and Pip outside the gates of the ruined Isengard. I just LOVE that scene . And the continuation of that, when Pippin is telling the others about how he sees Gandalf the White for the first time. I don't know why, but those are probably my favourite parts out of the whole of lotr.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:05 AM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Gimli the best

I agree Dunadan, I'm sure Gimli will shine in TTT!
Another great scene from the book is Legolas and Gimli's orc-slaying contest at the battle of Helm's Deep. I believe it ended 40-39 for Legolas. Gimli notched his axe on an iron collar of his last orc, and Legolas ran out af arrows.
An example of how Gimli kicks ass. (Plus, wouldn't it be cool to see the caves?!)

And the scene Kallasilya mentioned is definately my favourite, it's actually the one I started this thread with! It's the number one scene I don't want omitted from the movie!
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:11 PM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'd like to see the part when Faramir et al are watching Gollum catch fish in the stream and Frodo insists that they let him go and goes down and has to trick him, you know, that whole scene.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:04 AM   #25
Kallasilya
Hobbit

oooh,that reminds me :)

Speaking of Ithilien scenes... I want to see the waterfall. Umm, what's it called........ meh, I can't remember and I can't be bothered to go and look for it... but it's the one in Ithilien that faces west and has the caves behind it. I want to see the sunset through the waterfall!! I think that if done properly, it could look fantastic
Old 10-02-2002, 07:51 PM   #26
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

i don't want the scene where pippin and merry follow the orcs. it's the scene where pippin starts proving his worth and makes his change from funny hobbit to ighter. i also want to see the ents and they better not cut ANYTHING from Frodo, Sam, and Gollums' big journey!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:20 PM   #27
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Gollum Ithilien rules!

I love many scenes that take place in Ithilien. I just thought of two more.

1. The scene where Sam is roasting a rabbit over a fire, and Gollum gets mad at him for "wrecking" the meat. In a rare moment of friendship towards Gollum, Sam says he'd like to cook him some fish and chips sometime. Gollum says that would be nasty, and Sam hates him again.

2. The battle that the Hobbits and Gollum watch with Faramir's med fighting the Haradrim. This is where Sam sees an Oliphant/Mumak. And then soon after, they hook up with Faramir and his men.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:16 AM   #28
theworkhorse
Hobbit

Cut scenes

This is my first post!!!

The scenes involving Gimli and his affection for Galadriel are not in the movie, but are included in the cut scenes portion. I imagine that any further scenes involving this plot line will be in other cut scenes as well.

theworkhorse
theworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:30 AM   #29
olsonm
Elf Lord

Re: Cut scenes

Quote:
Originally posted by theworkhorse
This is my first post!!!
Welcome!

I would like to see Pippin's misadventure with the Palantir.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:33 AM   #30
theworkhorse
Hobbit

Gollum the Hobbit

One of my favorite passages in the trilogy takes place at the end of "The Two Towers." Returning from his scavanging, Gollum findd Sam and Frodo asleep.
"For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of his youth, an old starved pitiful thing." (The Two Towers, Book IV, Chapter 8)
This passage shows an affectionate side, caused by Frodo's kindness, and portrays the goodness that remains in Gollums heart. It also shows that last remains of that goodness, as Sam is startled awake and his distrust turns Gollum away from any shred of remorse.
I think this one of the most important passages pertaining to Hobbits, the power of the ring, the life of the ring bearers, and what could have happened to Bilbo, Frodo, or Sam, had either of them been in possession of the ring for as long as Smeagol.
I can easily imagine, Pete leaving this out of the next movie, but I think it would be a shame.

theworkhorse
Old 10-06-2002, 02:42 AM   #31
theworkhorse
Hobbit

others' comments

I am also hoping Pete does not leave out the King's crown at the crossroads, and the maturing of Pippin, as others mentioned.

Someone also pointed out the lack of character developement for Gimli and Samwise. I felt these two had the poorest character portrayals in the movie. It is forgivable only because neither had major roles in the first book that could not be cut. I think, (hope, wish, and pray), that their roles will be better established in the next two movies.

theworkhorse
Old 10-06-2002, 05:52 AM   #32
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Welcome theworkhorse and olsonm!

I agree with both your suggestions. I actually wouldn't want any scene deleted.

We definately have looked at the Gimli character developpement issue, because the scene where he squares off with Eomer is definately cool.

I think Sam's developpement in the movie was fine, except much of it was inferred.

I thought Merry and Pippin got the shaft, and I really hope that changes with their adventures in Fangorn.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #33
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

i forgot the art where pippin steals the plantir! that's so good. i want to see that too.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:15 AM   #34
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

And he puts a rock under Gandalf's arm...

Not only is that part really funny, but I think it's essential to the story.

It's part of Pippin's character developpement, as becomes much more mature. Also, it causes Sauron to think Frodo is hundreds of miles further North than he really is.
It also contributes to Pippin going to Minas Tirith instead of to Rohan with Merry.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:35 AM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't want ANY of the Ithilien scenes deleted: but of course PJ will probably have to... to make room for the action sequences. My favourite chapter is probably of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, followed closely by the Window on the West ... And I really hope that they show Sam washing his head in the water at Henneth Annûn! That bit makes me laugh every time!
Old 10-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #36
samwise909
Sapling

Strider scenes left out

I agree about the glittering caves being shown , thats an essential seeing as Gimli and Legolas return in the 3rd book.
I can say I'm 100% sure that shelob will not be in the tt movie.
The most essential parts of the book that must be represented are those pretaining to Ents. We need to get a astounding visual and comprehensive look at their features and characteristics, both physical and intellectual. Their needs to be a shown caring and unprecidented likeness for Merry and Pippin by Treebeard.
But hey its hollywood and we might have to just sit back and watch them cut and paste where they see fit.

Frodo Lives!
samwise909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:30 PM   #37
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Shelob

I thought Shelob was in the Return of the King. But if she is in the Two Towers, she won't be left out. She's essential to the story. How else could PJ explain the pass through the Mountains of Terror? After all, there are no unguarded passes...
Plus, she needs to be in the movie for pure entertainment value. Shelob is cool! Don't say Attercop to her!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:20 PM   #38
samwise909
Sapling

Strider Shelob will not be in TT movie for sure

To Nurvingiel,

Perhaps you should brush up on your Tolkien , cause Shelob is in fact in the book Two Towers . The saga of Frodo and Sams journey ends in TT with Frodo being left for dead by Sam and Sam taking the ring to continue the quest, hides while a patroling group of orcs treks past the lifeless body of frodo. As for Shelob not being in the TT movie directed by PJ, well my sources say 100% she will not be in this flick, rather she will begin the third installment of the trilogy.

" Maegus is my name, I am the Spider's Bane"

-Sam-
samwise909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:47 PM   #39
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

I really hope they put the part in where Frodo's asleep and Sam's talking to Gollum and he says "Where have you been off to? Sneaking off and sneaking back, I expect"(or something close to that). And then Gollum explodes and he's like, "Smeagol brings you up secret tunnels that nobody else could find. Smeagol is very tired and thirsty, yes thirsty.He guides them and he searches for paths and they say sneak, sneak." And then Frodo wakes up and he's like "Where have you been off to Gollum?" And Gollum says "Sneaking!" That has to be one of my most favorite parts in the whole thing!

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #40
VonRammstein
Sapling

Nazgul The War

December 2002?Can't wait for the war in the second movie.It looks good on the previews.Hope it's as good as the first.
VonRammstein is offline   Reply With Quote