Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2003, 06:14 PM   #21
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Our family generally doesn't celebrate Halloween, publicly. We tell everyone we're not celebrating it, and then eat our candy, and have a literary festival.

This year, we're going completely out of character and are going to watch the horror movie "Frankenstein". The price was low and it had all of our favorite actors and actresses. That will be today. We're watching "Young Frankenstein" tomorrow.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #22
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Going door to door is dying out - not the holiday.
Years and yearsa go we got like 20-30 kids coming to our house.

Last year we had about 4 and this year about 9.

Looks like a lot to me

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #23
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gee, Halloween was a party in our small town! Even in the rain! Lots of kids, going to the lit up houses, usually with parents along. You've got to go to the right place though. We live in the country, so we drive into town and go to the two best streets in the nice older neighborhood section. If you decorate your porch and light it up, they will come, especially if there are others on the block doing the same. I'd say there would be one halloweeny house for every four or five duds. Just enough walk in all the fallen leaves to make it nice. Of course, having a haunted DJ like Dr. Toast rocking the block helps!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:07 PM   #24
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
had a halloween party on tuesday. twas great. i dressed up as a sexy devil!!! it was a lso a damaging night as i think we accidently made half our friends gay. dam spin the bottle!!!

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #25
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

sound like fun Hanza! for out homecoming dance tonight my principal is dressing up like a giant pumpkin, if for nothign else, people should go to homecomign to see their principal dressed up as a giant pumpkin

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #26
Bridgette
Enting

Happy (Late) Hallowe'en all! I went out as a wood elf. I went trick-or-treating in the town next to mine with some friends who live there. we went to about 6 different suberbs and saw maybe 20 or thirty people the entire night, hardly anyone at all. And this year my house didn't even run out of candy! Definatly not as many people as usual.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:15 PM   #27
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Halloween is definitely dying out here.

Years ago everyone around here went trick or treating - now we get less and less every year.

Ya, where I live it like dead!. we bought like 48 big chocolate bars and a couple small ones. and we had a lot left.Yes thats the same where i live the number of people keep going down. I have been going out for.... like 10 years oh nope 11 because i went to a couple when i was 2. and now i am 12 so that been a while.
This year i was a western girl or western rider (techiclly same thing)
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:13 PM   #28
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It's still very popular here - we're in a suburban area with lots of little kids.

Our church is one of those of the mindset "if ya can't join 'em, then provide a fun alternative and outparty 'em!" (ie, we don't like to celebrate witches and demons and things, but realize the kids enjoy the candy and the dress-up, DUH! , so we have a big party at the church.) For the last few years, it's been "Trunk-or-Treat" - people with trucks or big cars sign up, then park around the perimeter of the church parking lot and decorate the cars like crazy, then we trick-or-treat around the parking lot. Safe and fun! Then we usually go home and go around the neighborhood, too, and hand out candy at our house. I'd say typically several hundred kids come by

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:14 AM   #29
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i was a dead hockey player once and some guys gave me all the cnady becasue they loved hockey. those were the sdays
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:57 AM   #30
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

This was my first halloween not going trick o' treating. Scary, but i had friends visit me at work, so it was okay. I can't believe some of you barely got any kids, we didn't get too many kids this year 'cause of this freak snow storm but last year we had like over 450 chocolate bars and what not and by 8:30 400 of that was gone! WE get sooo many people, i mean im totaly going next year, halloween is like my holiday i absoloutely hate the other holidays and yes that includes christmas! Halloween is like one of the few nights were very very few ppl kill themselves in my province, but come christmas rates like double, same with people going to jail.
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 AM   #31
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

we got 12 people at my house, oh well.. more candy for me!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #32
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I went out at 7pm and usually we have loads of younger kids before that time but we had 3 and that was it lol.

There was a massive party in the town centre and apparently 20,000 people turned up all dressed up! lol!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #33
Elf Girl
Lurker

We got about 20 people but 40 is the norm... the year of 9-11 we got like 7.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #34
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
How widespread is it elsewhere?
Over here it's slowly catching on but very slowly. The shops are full with pumkins, witch-hats and ghosts though. Seen all the merchandise, you'd think it's completely accepted, but reality is a little slower. Alse, going door to door.. nah, I don't think that'll catch on here very fast. Especially not at night or in the evening. People here generally don't like their kids being out so late on the street.

I went with two friends to Antwerp to 'celebrate' Halloween. (I wanted to go as gypsy first but decided against it as my two friends went as witches and with the three of us we could be 'weird sisters' )

The dressed-up people in Antwerp were really few and far between, only the irish pubs seemed to celebrate it. And that's where we went. We had great fun, expect for some drunk guys. It took my two friends some time before they succeeded in telling off two drunk irish (I think, but hey, it wasan irish pub!) guys. I got lucky, there weren't three of them. But still we had a great evening and we stayed out until 4.00h. I think that's my lateness-record.

I had to hang my clothes out the next morning to air, though. They were reeking from sigarettesmoke, not so pleasant.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #35
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

My friends and I were busy putting on a halloween show. The last two shows are today, the show's called 'Quoth the Raven and it's a collection of stories by Poe with the Highwayman as a special bonus. We actually got a pretty good audience on halloween, it's sort of hard to get people to come see shows on halloween because they're all out trick or treating, or partying. Then after the show we all went over to Katt's and stayed up all night watching musical horror movies. And then yesterday we had to do two more performances on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep. It was fun.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:02 AM   #36
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
...I only ever did a half face zombie - so that way I could turn my face around so little kids wouldn't be afraid....
Dude, you are way too freakin' kind. I don't consider it a fully successful Halloween until at least one kid runs crying for their mommy. (The parents think it's funny.)
MWHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! But then for all the scared little kids that do come up, they get 4 times the amount of candy... and I tell them it's for being brave enough to come and get it from me. AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:45 AM   #37
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Pfft. To be really evil you'll have to do away with giving 'em candy.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:48 AM   #38
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Dude, you are way too freakin' kind. I don't consider it a fully successful Halloween until at least one kid runs crying for their mommy. (The parents think it's funny.)
MWHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! But then for all the scared little kids that do come up, they get 4 times the amount of candy... and I tell them it's for being brave enough to come and get it from me. AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I think my house was made up scary enough with a CD with bat wings flapping and coffins opening, moaning in the background, etc. Not to mention the torches, cobwebs and caudrons. I don't really take join in scaring 4 year olds.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:57 AM   #39
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

No, making little kids cry is not fun. No joy!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:33 AM   #40
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Pfft. To be really evil you'll have to do away with giving 'em candy.
I never said I was evil, just mischievous.
Quote:
Originally posted by the not-so-evil jerseydevil
I don't really take "joy" in scaring 4 year olds.
...and...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
No, making little kids cry is not fun. No joy!
It's far more fun scaring the older kids than the little ones. I once made a boy that I think was in the 4th or 5th grade drop a sack of candy and run off. He came back shortly after to retrieve his candy and said he thought my get up was great.

I don't do the same for the itsy bitsy kids, believe me. I even let them touch me if they want to and I don't use my scary voice (can't think of a better way to describe it) on them either. But the older kids are far harder to scare. I consider it a true challenge.

My house is definitely not the Disney version of Halloween. MWHAHAHAHA!!!!

I was a witch once. I bought a big tamale pot and made a "baby stew" with it complete with baby doll heads and dry ice. I had a walking severed hand that I had crawl out from under the table towards the kids as they walked up to me to get their candy. But the titsy bitsy ones, again, I met them half way so they didn't see the 'baby stew".
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote