Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #21
Jabberwock
Enting

I have to say that I enjoyed your writing, Valandil, and bravery for putting such a large chunk of it on here for all to see. I, myself, am too shy for that. I have a few suggestions, not criticisms. While I realize this piece of writing is more a chronicle than the sort of writing found in a novel, a little more attention to interesting and colorful descriptive text might help you to better draw the reader in on an emotional level. Also, since you're speaking in an archaic tongue (to some extent) you might want to study a bit more on where your thees, thous, and thines fall into place. You do a convincing job, though. I think I kept getting stuck on this aspect of your writing because of my university studies and the number of medieval lit courses I've taken. In all it was an enjoyable piece. Keep it up.
For anyone who wants to write in an archaic style and do it to the best of their ability, I'd suggest a close study of Lord Dunsany's writing. He was a master of creative, and beautiful language use, not to mention a writer that Tolkien admired.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #22
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Thanks for the comments Jabberwock.

As for the archaic style - I had in mind to attempt something else that Tolkien did. In his "Athrabeth" I believe it is, he uses the archaic forms of 'you' as a more personal or intimate form - and the modern forms as more formal. I don't think I was consistent enough, or carried it off well enough - but I'm only a part-time writer - and was burning up early morning or late night hours to write this.

Still - I will take your comments and suggestions to heart. I hope to have my next story up by Christmas - it isn't an addition to this collection (and actually not a romance, *shock* to my readers! ) - but maybe I can add to 'Tales of Nolduryon' by a couple months after.

Thank you once more.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #23
Jabberwock
Enting

You do very well. I've started writing lots of stories on my own but I get bored with what I've written very quickly. Perhaps its lack of planning. You've got dedication and obviously know where you're headed so that's half of it right there. Check out Dunsany though. You should be able to find something of his at any good used bookstore. The short fiction is better than the novels.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #24
Valandil

The next installment of Nolduryon's Tales...

Tarcil

This story I know best of all, for it involves the marriage of my eldest brother, and I was there to witness the proceedings.

I was not yet 20 years of age when, at the Yule of Years 350-351 since the fall of our Enemy, my mother the Queen sent forth word that she would form her new court of young ladies beginning at the Erukyerme, and would present them to the King on Mid-Year’s Day. This announcement brought a great deal of commotion, although the timing was about right and the event had been broadly anticipated. For my brother Tarcil, who was Heir to the Throne of Arnor, was nearly of an age considered proper for a future King to marry. If all went as would be expected, Tarcil would marry one of the Ladies of the Queen’s Court.

There were really two types of commotion. For one, all the noble families of the realm vied to have the eligible young ladies of their family selected by the Queen. At the same time however, many who had waited to marry – those who felt they were getting on in years or who desired to marry another but had not yet done so – all were married quite hastily. It was this latter that took me by surprise, as a young man. I soon saw why however. For once this Queen’s Court was chosen, there were almost no marriages among the noble families until the Heir should choose his bride. And this was certain to take a number of years.

Tarcil, our brother Elremir, and the other young sons of noble birth were in constant training at this time – learning all the kinds of things necessary for them to know in order to be fit rulers of our people. My own companions and I, whose instruction at the time was a great deal less demanding, were too young to have entered yet into this vigorous training. However – if we were too young to have joined in with my elder brothers, we were certainly not too young to appreciate the beauty of the young ladies who began to arrive on the palace grounds of Vinyamar at Annuminas in the early days of the month of Gwirith (transl. – April). One day, to get close to these beauties, a few friends and I even garbed ourselves as servants and pretended to be porters, to carry the effects of the young ladies up into the palace to their new quarters. We carried this game on for about three or four of the hopeful future queens, before my Uncle Galendir found us out.

When her Court was presented to the King, there were 40 young ladies in all. Two were not eligible to marry my brother Tarcil – for one was our own sister and the other our first cousin, daughter of the Warden of Elostirion, who was our mother’s brother. Although they could not marry the future King, being in the Court gave them the chance to draw the eye of any of Tarcil’s Companions, who were the most noble unmarried men of the land. Besides this, having a close relative among the other ladies could be of great help to a young Heir.

The rest came from all about our land; daughters, grand-daughters or nieces of the Princes of Lhun, Fornost, Baranduin and Mitheithel, of Counts from all about Nenuial, Minhiriath, Tharbad, the Andrath and the Angle, of the wealthier Thanes at Sarn Ford, Stonebows, the West Crossroads and the South Downs and of some of the Royal Officials of the Palace itself. Even from Gondor they came – four of them from Osgiliath, Pelargir, Erui and Angrenost. There were two pairs of sisters who came – one pair from Mitheithel, and twins who were daughters of a royal official in Annuminas. All forty were between 20 and 40 years of age, young, beautiful, well-spoken, learned in lore, gifted in the arts of music. All were true daughters of Numenor. At their presentation they sang – beautiful voices lifted in song to invoke our heritage as the people of Numenor, and in celebration of summer, of beauty and of love.

My brother and his Company numbered 40 as well. They were sons of many of the same houses of Arnor – for there were none from Gondor among them. They trained constantly together, and their training was severe – in the manly arts of warfare, in the marshaling of armies in the field, in agriculture and husbandry, in sailing and in tests of endurance, in the planning and engineering of cities and in the construction of buildings, in mining and working with metals. All these things they had to master – and it was said that on mastering them, their training had only begun.

They worked hard at their training most days, save at planting and harvest times, when they worked hard all day in the fields. At times they assisted with other manual tasks to strengthen the body and to learn the skills of labor. And when they had time away from their duties, their play was hard – rough games or the hunt during the day, games of strategy and strength of will in the evening.

The ladies of the Court had training of their own to undergo. They had to grow even more learned in lore, in languages and in the arts. They learned humility in service to their Queen.

Thus my brother and the Queen’s Court saw little of one another for the next 10 years. There were formal gatherings at each of the High Days; at Erukyerme, at Erulaitale – which even then we called “Mid-Year’s Day”, at the Eruhantale, and at the Yule. At these times, the Court and the Company would make great preparations to make themselves as pleasing or as presentable as they could. Each time, they would be presented again to one another in the presence of the King and Queen, along with the greater nobles who happened to be at court. And they would dance, but one dance only – and one of those which required the dancers to frequently exchange partners. The ladies of the Court were given strict instructions to speak no word to one another at these events, nor to speak to any of the young men unless spoken to. For their part, the young men of the Company refrained from declaring which lady they found most favourable, always waiting for Tarcil to first make his own selection known.

For his part, Tarcil was not inclined to make his mind known too early. His days were still quite full. The ladies presented a welcome distraction, when those times came each three months – but there was still much to see, and much more time was needed to make his selection sure.

Indeed those first 10 years were merely an introduction to the young ladies. The duties of each group kept them active between the seasonal celebrations – and those duties were intentionally planned to keep their paths from crossing at other times.

Things began to change after that though. For the two or three years following, the duties of both groups lightened up. And they began to see more of one another, but always in groups. For more times were planned for them to come together, and at other times they might meet by chance on the palace grounds – at the Fountain of Teleriel, or in the Summer Garden. Even at their duties they began to see one another, for the Ladies of the Court might come forth to watch the Men of the Company train for battle, or come to where they worked at gathering a harvest or building a road to share food and drink with them, or to join them in celebration after a successful hunt.

By this time my own training, which my father the King said had been over-long neglected, had begun in earnest. A group of nobles’ sons, who had been too young to join in with Tarcil when his Company was formed, was gathered together and our training began. But still, this group drew far fewer young men than my brother’s had, and we received far less attention from the trainers than they, for the Company of a future King was more important, and the events going on in that time were of greater interest to the palace and the realm than the training of a dozen or so younger men. My own aptitude for the learning of lore and for writing had been long recognized, so most of my own duties were of that nature, and I received much of my training under our scribes and loremasters.

I have said little of my brother Tarcil himself, but until this time, we had not seen much of one another. He had always been kindly toward me though. And being more than 50 years older, had been more like an indulgent father or uncle than a brother. I being now placed in the King’s Service, Tarcil soon made me his personal messenger. My entire little Company, in fact, was attached to his larger one, and we all served him and his companions as their esquires or for whatever other duties they might require. So it was my own birth and special placement as Tarcil’s messenger that gave me a peculiar vantage point to observe so closely the turn of events that was to follow.

About this time, my brother’s Company and my mother’s Court began to see one another even more frequently. It was often I who served as vehicle to help arrange these times. For my brother might bid me go to our mother with this or that message, saying:

Mother - my Company and I have just come from the hunt. Would thee and the fair Ladies of thy Court wish to join us in partaking of its bounty?
Thy son - Tarcil

Or:

Mother – my Company and I have had hard work this day. Might thee and the fine Ladies of thy Court come down and bring us refreshment?
Thy son - Tarcil

And always my mother met his requests, just as she received them. I began to see in time that they played games with the wording of their messages – giving subtler messages to one another. For at some times, in his message to her, my brother might suggest that my mother had other duties to keep her or that she needed her rest, and ask only for the Ladies of her Court to come, and she would send them but refrain from attending herself. Or his message might say that he and nine of his companions need be attended, and only ten ladies of her court would come. I noticed at these times that my mother sent a different group of ladies each time, so that all would have their turn to come before his notice, for he had not yet especially named one of them in his messages.

At the Harvest of year 366, Tarcil’s Company prepared a special celebration for the ladies of the Court. They had been working in the fields between Annuminas and the Great East West Road and had returned to celebrate the Eruhantale in its season. Then, early the very next morning, they loaded all the Ladies of the Court onto wagons and we all departed. With us came a few servants and attendants, a small detachment of men-at-arms and our mother the Queen, and even our father the King himself. We rode nearly 25 leagues, south and a bit east, and late in the third day came to a clearing in the woods at the foot of some hills. There were forty new huts arranged in a square about the edge of the clearing; ten on the west for the Court, ten on the east for the Company, ten on the south for the men-at-arms and ten on the north for the King and Queen (who shared one large, double-hut at the center of the north row), the attendants and my own smaller company.

That evening we held a great bonfire and everyone joined in the merriment of the celebration with singing, dancing, story-telling and laughter. We stayed there for three joyous days. The only thing that seemed unusual to me is that my brother Tarcil joined less in the frolicking than the rest – although the whole thing was according to his plan. He instead spent his time with our father, seemingly in grave conversation, but most often within sight of all the other participants.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 03-03-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #25
Valandil

So we returned eventually to Annuminas. Then as the days shortened and the Yule drew nigh, my brother had me deliver a most notable message to my mother:

Oh Alatana, Queen of all Arnor – it will give my Company great pleasure if you, and Isilhist, Numeriel, Brecarwen and Gilfornien, together with all the other Ladies of your Court, will once again join us for the celebration of this Yule.
Tarcil – Heir to Arnor

This caused quite a stir among the Court, for as was often the case, I delivered it to my mother at her sitting room – a large chamber where she gathered her Court at the end of the day. Upon reading the message aloud, my mother shot one eyebrow sharply upward, while the reactions of the ladies varied from wild excitement to disappointment.

Now at previous Yule celebrations, all the Ladies of my mother’s Court wore simple dresses of white – yet lovely and elegant. This was how young maidens arrayed themselves for these times, even as they still do now. And then, as now, the young men would come dressed in bright colors of the season, and bearing ribbons with ancestral devices from their own family lines. If they should choose to do so, a young man might offer to bestow a ribbon on a young maiden as a favor, and if she accepted it, she would return the favor with a dance, by serving him some of the treats at the sideboards, by singing him a song, or telling him a tale, or even – making arrangement to meet him later at the mistletoe.

All the time since this Court and Company had celebrated the Yule together, there had been no exchanging of favors – for none of the young men wished to place himself before the Heir’s right to choose first – and Tarcil, as is most often the case for an Heir, was deliberate in making his choice.

This Yule was different though. For one, the four ladies named came last into the Great Hall, and while the other ladies wore once more their white dresses, those four came in bright dresses of blue, green, red, gold and silver – each according to their taste – yet all simple and elegant, to best describe their slender forms.

My brother stood apart from the rest of his men, with three companions; our brother Elremir and also Lindethalion the son of Mitheithel’s Prince and Celebram our cousin, the son of the Warden of Elostirion. These four greeted the Queen’s Court as they came, and when the four designated ladies arrived, greeted them especially and brought them aside to a corner, where that group remained most of the evening. But first, after only ten or so minutes, Tarcil turned to his men and gave a nod as a signal. At this, each of the Company stepped forth and walked across the room, and each approached a single lady of the Court and each offered to her a ribbon as a favor – as if they had decided together beforehand whom they would approach. Then began the merriest Yule celebration in many long years – and little could I know it at the time, but one of those young men offering a favor, and the one young lady to whom he gave it, would become one day my father-in-law and my mother-in-law.

Let me tell you though of the four ladies – all of them lovely to look upon, all learned in lore, all pleasant in voice and in manner.

Isilhist was tall and slender, elegant and proud. Her eyes were piercing and her hair was black like a raven’s. She was the daughter of the Warden of Amon Sul, but had been raised for part of her days in Annuminas. She was her father’s eldest child, her brother was too young even to have joined my company and her sister had been born while Isilhist was at Court.

Numeriel was thoughtful and quiet and her hair was dark brown. She delighted in poetry and song and had sharp insight. Her father was the Count at Tharbad and she had been raised in that city. Her elder brother was in Tarcil’s Company and her elder sister was married to the Count of Hoardale.

Brecarwen was lovely of face and form, and her hair was very light brown. She was sharp of mind, yet gentle in manner. When she came to Court, her grandfather had been Prince of Baranduin, but her father had since succeeded him. She had been raised mostly at her father’s country estate. Her elder brother was in Tarcil’s Company and her younger brother was a companion to me.

Gilfornien was beautiful, bright and cheerful, her hair a light mixture of red and gold – and she was usually the center of attention at the Court. She was the daughter of the Prince of Lhun and Fornost and had been raised at Fornost before she came to Court. Her older brother was married already.

After Tarcil had given his signal, the four young men and the four young ladies began to dance. Eight dances they had, switching partners each time, until each of them had danced twice with each of the other two. Then they returned to their own corner where seats were brought to them, and they took refreshment together, while the rest of the Hall was filled with merry-making. After many years’ absence, the traveling company of Gildor arrived – and Uncle Galendir even dressed up as Old Man Yule.

When that Yule was fully past, things continued for several weeks as they had for the past few years. Once or twice each week, my brother Tarcil would send me to our mother the Queen, asking that the Ladies of her Court come to wait upon him and his men. Finally though, as winter wore on – it was the 14th day of Ninui (transl - February) – my brother sent word to the Queen once more:

Oh most gracious Queen Alatana – please send unto my companions and me the Lady Brecarwen and the other Ladies of your Court that they may entertain and refresh us, for our hearts and minds have been burdened these past days.
Thy loving son – Tarcil

When I had read these words, at my mother’s bidding, she stood silent, but a look of worry came over her face. Her Court had gathered around as they always did – but this time the silence after the message was profound – until it erupted with squeals of excitement. The Lady Brecarwen blushed and inclined her head downward – but several of her friends gathered close about her with joy. Others though, looked downcast, or turned sidelong glances on the maiden. At last my mother spoke to me, “Take a message for Tarcil, “ she said. Her messages before had been simple assents to his requests, but for this one, she commanded me to write as follows:

Yes, my son – the Ladies of my Court are ever at your service. You might take pleasure to know that Brecarwen is a young lady of highest quality, and that she has a fine voice and is accomplished at the harp.
Thy mother – Queen Alatana

It was not long before I returned with Tarcil’s reply:

Is it indeed so? We have longed to hear fair songs of sunshine and springtime to lift our hearts. Perhaps once we have taken refreshment, the Lady Brecarwen would be agreeable to sing for my closest friends and me while the other Ladies attend to the rest of my Men.
Tarcil

On hearing this, my mother stood and turned to face Brecarwen. “Array yourself as you would like, and choose ten or so ladies to accompany you. Instruct all the rest in what they should wear as well. Prepare your harp.” Then she turned to retire to her own chamber, but stopped and addressed all the Ladies of her Court, “Brecarwen – and Brecarwen only, is to wait upon my son Tarcil this evening, and she is to wait upon him only.” Then she turned once more and began to climb a short rise of steps before the entrance to her chamber, but stopped still when she heard a voice call out sharply;
“It’s not fair!”

Queen Alatana stood very still for such a long time that she seemed to have frozen solid or turned to stone. Then she slowly turned and addressed the speaker;

“What is not fair, Isilhist?”

“Well… I… I am a far better harpist than she! And a better singer as well…”

“This is not a music contest, fair Isilhist,” the Queen answered measuredly as she slowly descended the steps she had just taken, advancing to face her before continuing with a voice now sharper than Isilhist’s. “Besides, do you not know that it can be perilous to be the first one called?” and she paused before going on calmly once more. “When my husband Arantar first named three ladies, I was not among them – but each was called once, and then dismissed in their turn. He then named five more – and I was the last one he called of them.”

The Queen drew herself up proudly, and the corners of her mouth turned up into a wry smile, “Of course, he claims now that I was always the apple of his eye, and that he did thus to test me…” and her eyes searched the faces of the young maidens around the room, resting at last on Brecarwen, who now seemed downcast at hearing this latest bit.

“But take heart, child!” she said with an encouraging smile, as she strode from Isilhist to Brecarwen and placed her hands upon the maiden’s arms. “This is your chance – what you have prepared for. Now go… make the most of it!”

“Isilhist,” the Queen said at last, “take up your own harp and join me. You shall keep me company tonight, for I shall not go down with the others – though I desire to hear the harp myself.”

Humbled – or out-maneuvered, Isilhist obeyed. Once she had gone, the room burst into a flurry of activity. Brecarwen would wear a green dress she had made against such a time as this. She chose ten friends to assist her, telling them to gather flute, chime or other such instrument and to wear their silver gowns. Numeriel and Gilfornien were among them. The rest she permitted to wear any dress of their choosing, which was most generous. Quite forgotten, I stood there enthralled, as the others began to make their preparations and Lady Brecarwen brought forth her golden harp – until she spotted me herself and ushered me swiftly from the room.

That evening was quite remarkable. The Ladies came down to the hall where we most often received them in winter, the fire burning brightly on the hearth. First they served all the Men of Tarcil’s Company – and my own companions as well – but Brecarwen served Tarcil only, as our mother had commanded, and the other girls kept their distance. For their part, the Men insisted that the Ladies join them and refresh themselves as well, which had become the common practice. When all had had enough to eat, Brecarwen rose to her feet, and with a nod to her chosen friends, she removed the cloth cover from her harp and gathered those friends about her at the place beside the fire where such music was played. Before her sat my brothers Tarcil and Elremir, as well as Lindethalion and Celebram – the same foursome from the Yule Feast. But all others around the room grew silent and turned their attention on Brecarwen. Some drew closer that they might better see and hear.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-03-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #26
Valandil

And Brecarwen sang and played her harp, while the other girls harmonized with voice or played the parts of the other instruments. She sang first the ancient “Ballad of Andor” – recounting how the Edain first came into Beleriand and allied themselves with the Elves against Morgoth, and of Beren, and Tuor and Earendil – of the coming of the Valar, the defeat of Morgoth, and the Land of Gift to which the remnant of the Edain sailed, led by Elros Tar-Minyatur. And when she had finished, all was still. For if the singing of the Queen’s Court at their introduction was like the beautiful sounds of songbirds in spring – on this night it seemed to my companions and me that we must be hearing something like the Music of the Ainur at Arda’s making, so entranced were we.

Following a few murmurs of approval, Brecarwen began with her second song, “The Song of Andunie” – devised by a minstrel for Elendil some 400 years past, with his own fall later added by the same muse. From Silmarien daughter of Tar-Elendil onward, she sang of the majesty of that house, and of how they remained Faithful in the days that darkened Numenor, of Amandil’s heroism, and how at the Downfall, Elendil and his sons led the last of the Faithful forth to a new land, where this Princely House became the Kings of Men – then on to the War with Sauron, Elendil’s fall and the fate that befell Isildur, and how hope sprang to all remained with the line of Valandil. Brecarwen’s voice rose and fell with the words of the song, and the strumming of her harp rang clear throughout.

These two songs had been expected – but at the short pause of contemplative silence after the second, Brecarwen leapt straight into a third, a song of love in the four seasons – first going through the seasons of the year; spring, summer, autumn and winter – and then through the seasons of life. This one was not usually sung in the noble houses of Arnor, for it was a simple country song. But it was lively, and was played so well, and with such joy, by Brecarwen and her friends that many of the men and some of the ladies, joined in the chorus with singing and clapping and stomping. It was over too soon for most, for we all wanted to hear it again.

But once it was finished, Brecarwen’s smile vanished and she looked up as she played slowly and thoughtfully. “This is a song of my own devising,” she said simply before she began.

Now, some of the other maidens of the Court had chuckled to themselves, or rolled their eyes or folded their brows in expressions of disgust when she played the third song – it being a simple country song. Those same young ladies grew livid when they heard the words of this fourth song – for what they thought its unabashed forwardness.

It was about water. It was about the melting snow of the Hills of Twilight, and how that filled the great Lake Evendim, where those waters brooded long and deep – long and deep until they found their release by joining with the waters of the River Baranduin that beckoned to them, spilling themselves into them and running and dancing along them in joy and in peace, until they reached their destination of the Sea. So – it was about water, and all the words spoke of water – but in all the words and phrases were cleverly hidden meanings, which all gathered could readily perceive as an appeal to join the House of Arnor’s Kings with that of Baranduin’s Princes. The words and music were woven so well together though that I forgot myself as if under a spell and began to imagine that I was the water itself, which the song spoke about on the surface.

When she had finished, she stood to her feet and dipped in a slight bow. All were expectantly silent, awaiting the reaction of Tarcil. But he stood almost immediately and gave his approval with his applause, wherein they all then joined. He beckoned Brecarwen to him and thanked her for her lovely performance, then stood by as his three companions thanked her in turn. After the last one, Elremir, thanked her, the four of them turned slightly away and Brecarwen stood there alone. But then she looked up and saw Tarcil just three strides from her, laughing and talking with Lindethalion, and she stepped up to him, reached up and kissed my brother Tarcil on the cheek.

Tarcil turned his attention to her, but found no words to speak. Brecarwen blushed once more and lowering her head, turned to leave. But then Tarcil’s friends began to laugh aloud, and jostled and pounded him, but Elremir only gave him what seemed like a very knowing look. “Wait, fair Brecarwen,” called Tarcil after her – and even on his face had grown a broad smile. “Attend me still… please.”

She turned and joined them, sitting together with them, and Tarcil offered his cup to the Lady Brecarwen. But Celebram leaned over to Tarcil and spoke quietly into his ear. My brother looked about the room until he found me. “Nolduryon!” he called – I was already on my way there. “Take a message for me to our dear mother.” And this is what he bade me write:

Mother – my Companions and I have enjoyed a delightful evening already. We do, however, miss your presence, along with that of Lady Isilhist. Is she well?
Tarcil

Before long, I had his reply:

My son – Lady Isilhist has remained faithfully by my side tonight, for I did not wish to appear tonight for so long, before such a large group, and yet I desired to hear the harp myself, at which she is quite capable. Shall I send her down to play for you as well?
Queen Alatana

My brother looked perplexed on hearing this, and thought for several moments before composing this response:

Dearest Mother – the goodness and kindness of Lady Isilhist are known to us all, and her faithfulness to you is commendable. I can believe that she is skilled at the harp, but alas, I cannot find it out for myself this evening, for fatigue overtakes me and I must soon turn in for the night. Still my friends ask after her. It would please me if both you and she might come down at once together. Then Isilhist might stay while I escort both you and Brecarwen back to your own chambers, for she has had especial duty this evening and might wish to retire herself.
Tarcil

When I read this last to my mother, she quite suddenly jumped up from her chair and a wave of excitement passed over her face. She turned to Isilhist with a simple, “Let us go… now.”

I led them down to the hall, and when Tarcil left with Brecarwen and our mother, I was told to come along with them. First I walked behind, beside Brecarwen, while Tarcil spoke in low tones with our mother. But at one point, they stopped, faced each other and embraced, and then Tarcil motioned for me to offer my arm to our mother, while he held his own for Lady Brecarwen. They fell further behind us, but before they dropped from hearing, I could make out these words my brother said to her:

“It was at my brother Elremir’s insistence that I first named you – and I called you out tonight as a favor to him – and, I thought, for him. But I see now that he had you in mind for me. Brecarwen, when you kissed me as you did, I saw in your eyes how you loved me. What is more, I knew suddenly what I had never known before – that I loved you also. That sudden knowledge caught me by surprise, but it is good to know my own heart at last – and I cannot help but think that there is no other Lady in all the Queen’s Court that I could have chosen as I have chosen you…”

And I heard no more.

After that evening, Tarcil and Lady Bercarwen kept themselves apart. Meanwhile, the rest of his Company and the Court began to see much more of one another – but without the two of them. In fact, when he left with Brecarwen that night, it was the first time he had left his Men with the Ladies of the Court, and they all took that as the signal that it was.

When three more weeks had passed, Brecarwen was packed one morning with all her things, as if prepared for a journey. I watched from a high window as Tarcil bid her farewell – holding her two hands together in his. She was sent home to her father’s house. Word has it that he did not understand at first, and thought his daughter had somehow disgraced him – until she told him that he was to await a visit from the King’s Heir one week after the Erukyerme. And Tarcil the King’s Heir came at that time, with an escort of knights and with gifts for her father. For a week he stayed, and then he asked if he might marry the Prince’s daughter on Mid-Year’s Day.

And so things went. My brother Tarcil dismissed his Company for two years – or to not return if other duty kept them, and my mother released the Ladies of her Court. No less than 25 of them married Men of the Company, including Gilfornien, who married our brother Elremir, Numeriel, who married Lindethalion, and Isilhist, who married Celebram our cousin. Our sister Lastorien married Brecarwen’s elder brother and our cousin Celebloss married Numeriel’s brother. All 40 were married within the next 5 or 10 years, for some married a Thane of their father, or another of noble birth who had been selected for them. Two ladies of Gondor returned to their homes to do so, but two others married Men of our land and remained in the north. One lady even married a companion of my own, though she was 3 years older than he. But all, of course, attended the wedding of Tarcil and Brecarwen that bright summer day.

A Record of Dates (all Third Age):

276 Arantar weds Alatana
280 Birth of Tarcil
290 Birth of Elremir
333 Birth of Nolduryon
339 Passing of King Eldacar, King Arantar’s coronation
351 Queen Alatana forms her court
367 Tarcil weds Brecarwen
372 Birth of Tarondor
435 Passing of King Arantar, King Tarcil’s coronation
500 King Tarcil’s visit to King Romendacil at Osgiliath
515 Passing of King Tarcil, King Tarondor’s coronation

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #27
Valandil

Well... I had hoped to get this story posted by Valentine's Day - but I also wanted to get "Visitors" complete before Christmas, and I'm still only through 3 chapters of 7 there.

But - here this one is.

This began as I turned over in my mind what the "typical" marriage customs of the Kings of Arnor might be like. The exceptions to the typical might make for more interesting stories (I'll let you judge between the stories about Eldacar and Tarcil - but imagine if Tarcil's held true about 75% of the time - in that case the 25% that were variations might seem much more interesting). Anyway - this is what I came up with: something structured very completely - with lots of protocol involved, etc.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #28
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

A very interesting story, Val. I have read it in one sitting and liked it a lot.

The first story, about Valandil's son, looks like a tale told and retold many times before being actually written down. That may explain its children-tale elements - contests to win a bride etc. Very nice story.

As for critical comments, I agree with what was already suggested: watch your thou's and thine's. I am no expert in old English, but some slips have obviously escaped your notice, like here:
"Well then… how will you get an Heir in thy turn?” "You" and thy" can't be in one sentence, IMO.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest to remove all the old forms from the story. The Silmarillion is about very ancient times, yet the language is modern. Rohirrim are known to use more archaic form of language then hobbits, but still their speech is rendered by modern English. Tolkien used old forms only in old songs or sayings, but also to show difference in language between two characters having a conversation, like Eowyn and the Witch King, Gandalf and Denethor etc.
In your case a father and a son are talking. They should speak the same form of language. Why the beginning of it is rendered by old English, and the end by modern?

The other story is a record of marriage customs - not a tale this time, but a realistic story. Very funny way to choose a bride you suggest, like a run for an award.

But don't you think that the custom might not be exactly wholesome?

The animosity in the group of girls should be mounting, more than in any other competition, like sport or music, because there are no visible points to score, or clear criteria to judge them, only a whim of the Prince. All this must lead to a lot of frustration.

Anyone of the 39 rejected prospective brides will consider herself a failure all her life - because in these 10-20 years of selection they will inevitably dream of marrying the Prince and make it a goal of their lives. When married to others, their husbands will know that the women only settled for a second best choice, but really wanted the King.

The new Queen can be sure that 39 of her closest noble ladies are hating her very guts.

To me, it seems that the feelings of the young ladies are completely disregarded. It resembles more of a way how a sultan chooses himself a harem girl for the night, than a way how a King chooses a Queen.

That's why, to my knowledge, such a custom never existed in RL European history. Correct me, if I am wrong.

Apart from that, it is a very well written and nice story.Congratulations, Val.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #29
Valandil

So - whaddaya think... TV-reality show "Who wants to Marry the Heir"?

Good points though. Maybe the custom was established by Valandil's mom and lasted a few generations before it fell out of favor or was modified.

(EDIT: I actually began to think about these customs at least by the time I began writing "Letters of Firiel" - 18-20 months ago - but they have lacked critical analysis from a second party)

(EDIT II: and maybe this terrible custom helped lead to the Division of Arnor - other noble wives, spurned by Amlaith, encouraging their noble husbands to break from supporting him! )

As to the 'thees & thous' - I probably should remove them all, just for clarity and consistency. I have tried to use the Old English forms for a more intimate, personal 'you' - as Tolkien suggests he used in The Athrabeth. However, I was also trying to switch back and forth in and out of it at different times, depending on what the character is trying to convey. And I'm probably just not good enough at it to handle that.

Thanks for the read and the review!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-05-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #30
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Good points though. Maybe the custom was established by Valandil's mom and lasted a few generations before it fell out of favor or was modified.
and maybe this terrible custom helped lead to the Division of Arnor - other noble wives, spurned by Amlaith, encouraging their noble husbands to break from supporting him! )
Good idea! That was surely not a custom leading to unity and friendship. I quite well imagine the two ladies marrying not the Heir, but his younger brothers. But they have grown so used to the idea of becoming queens, that they led their husbands to rebellion and division of Arnot into three kingdoms.

Quote:
As to the 'thees & thous' - I probably should remove them all, just for clarity and consistency. I have tried to use the Old English forms for a more intimate, personal 'you' - as Tolkien suggests he used in The Athrabeth. However, I was also trying to switch back and forth in and out of it at different times, depending on what the character is trying to convey. And I'm probably just not good enough at it to handle that.
Oh, it is hellishly difficult. I have read many texts with "thou and thine" and I imagined I could write two sentences in Old English. But when I tried, in our RPG, I had to edit at least five times, and I am still not sure I got them straight.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #31
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
But don't you think that the custom might not be exactly wholesome?

The animosity in the group of girls should be mounting, more than in any other competition, like sport or music, because there are no visible points to score, or clear criteria to judge them, only a whim of the Prince. All this must lead to a lot of frustration.

Anyone of the 39 rejected prospective brides will consider herself a failure all her life - because in these 10-20 years of selection they will inevitably dream of marrying the Prince and make it a goal of their lives. When married to others, their husbands will know that the women only settled for a second best choice, but really wanted the King.

The new Queen can be sure that 39 of her closest noble ladies are hating her very guts.

To me, it seems that the feelings of the young ladies are completely disregarded. It resembles more of a way how a sultan chooses himself a harem girl for the night, than a way how a King chooses a Queen.
LOL!! ("39 of her closest noble ladies are hating her very guts.") I totally agree here - I was wondering about that 10 year thing before even seeing each other for any meaningful period of time. I'd head for the hills if I knew I was on a list for a court like that (and I see you showed that some ladies thought that way, when there were lots of marriages before the court was formed.) I just don't get that (but then I'm not into politics, either! )

Although your writing itself is very skillful, the story just does not engage me at all. I like your other two ones much better. I don't see any good reason why the guy chose the girl he did. I don't see why the guy is even worth choosing (don't say he's desireable, show me that he's desireable). And I sure as all get out don't see why it's worth spending 20 years of your life hoping some guy will choose you to be queen, and I agree with Gor's point about the feelings of the guys the "rejected" girls marry later on.

I did like your concept of letters going back and forth with hidden meanings - that was v. good, IMHO. And your sentence structure is aurally pleasing - it "reads" well in my head.

One minor detail, since I'm a harpist - you wrote "...the strumming of her harp..." You don't strum a harp, you pluck the strings. But that doesn't sound as good, and perhaps one can use "strum" in a loose sense here, because the strings ring as if they were strummed (did Tolkien use that phrase? I don't recall, but he may have). And perhaps it was the type of harp called an "autoharp" over here, where you DO strum it (it's kind of like harp strings stretched over a small board and you hold down bars to make chords and you strum it). I think perhaps there were some smallish type ancient harps that may have been strummed, but I"m not sure. But the real harp of both ancient and modern times is plucked.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-07-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #32
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Nice historical fanfic of the era where too little is said or written.
In my humble opinion, trying to reach that tolkienishness of using the 'old english is a detriment to the overall story, as it gives the story as a whole a 'forced aire' to it. You should try putting more feeling into the characters instead of the seeming distant narrativishness it has. I do like the overall story and the work in the timeline and some of the names though.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #33
Valandil

Thanks for the futher comments, Rian and Snowdog. Snowdog - I'm going to address some of Rian's now, since part of hers spoke to your second point, and others have brought up your first (with which I'm beginning to agree, BTW - I just wish I could do that stuff and do it better).

Rian - on the one hand, I see what you're saying. This is not "Pride and Prejudice" by any means. It doesn't deal directly with the main players, but it is as observed by someone who has a good view, but is still not really part of the interaction.

Also - oddly enough for what seems like a "romance" on the surface, my intent was not to show how or why the Heir and his future bride fell in love with each other (though I think that they did). It was really to introduce this structure of the royal court and how it operated. (and I can also see how the 'exceptions' would seem more interesting - like Eldacar and Teleriel) As I said though, I have hinted at this before (even in "Letters of Firiel") - so the concept has been on my mind for awhile.

And - I see the objections that some of you have. It's hard to relate to in our modern society - but remember that the society in question is depicted as both ancient AND as Numenorean - and bear in mind the long life-spans and how those play a role.

Consider this: from the accounts in "Peoples of Middle Earth" - we see that each King of Arnor was between 86 and 98 years of age when the next King was born. Now, in most cases that Tolkien gives us, the Numenoreans / Dunedain were having their first child between 2 and 5 years after marriage. So - the Kings are getting married probably between about 80 and 95 years of age. Of course - they would still look quite young to you and me - they're going to live to be 240 or more. But still, how old do you think the women were who were marrying them? Were they 20? 25?

Remember, Gilraen was 22 when her father Dirhael thought she was still a bit young to marry Arathorn. This was many years later, when the Dunedain were not living as long. I suspect that the brides of those early Kings had to be at least 30 - but more likely between 40 and 60, which would still be quite young for a lady of the Dunedain.

Another thought - life AWAY from Court would be pretty solitary for single young nobles in this setting. If you're at some far-flung estate, and still have duties to fill your days, the chances to meet eligible prospects of your own station would be very rare.

So - from the royal perspective, this set-up provides an optimum situation for ensuring that the Heir marries a nice young lady of the upper nobility - one they've had a chance to examine for a good while. And - even if their daughters didn't like the idea - lots of families would still send them off to court, because the parents would hope that their daughter would marry a future King - and bear the next King after him. And... even if she didn't, she'd probably marry a nice young fellow from some other noble family - which would still make everybody happy. Again, think antiquity, not modernity.

One example I had was actually from "Aldarion and Erendis". Remember that Erendis was part of the court of Aldarion's mother the Queen. Remember also the GREAT lengths of time over which that relationship developed. I don't know if that should be viewed as a standard, but I sort of took that and ran with it and fleshed it out.

Think too, of this long time period as a time of "training" - not "courting" (funny - while writing the story, I never thought of the use of that word in relation to "Court" ). The young ladies are in sort of a "Finishing School" - the young men are in very intensive training. After the first 10 years, the exposure to one another is intentionally increased - sort of 'giving the green light' to the Heir really. The other young men won't make a move, because he's really the center of the show. Once he selects the one he intends to marry, it's "open season" for everyone else. Also - the Heir is not really limited to the ladies of the Court - he CAN choose someone else.

That's really the reason for the rush of marriages just before the Court was set up. Once that point came, not many young nobles anywhere would marry - it just wasn't considered 'proper' because the Heir might really be viewed as having first choice over the entire kingdom. Those who married probably didn't think they had much chance - or were in love with someone, but hadn't married to that point, for whatever reason. And, those who wished to certainly COULD marry in this time, it's just unlikely to me that many would (though some would), under this theory. So - the rush was to not have to either wait another 20 years or so - and also to not commit a social mis-step.

The Court though, is meant to be sort of a center of social activity. A Queen was likely to always have SOME young ladies of nobility around, and there would always be SOME eligible young men - but these periods were special times when the court was temporarily re-structured - for one, increased in size. Remember too the lonely alternative of a far-flung estate or outpost.

And - it's not at all for a 'harem'. If so, it would have happened much faster. Again, as disconnected as it is from our modern view, I think the Dunedain would have all 'saved themselves for marriage' - as the Elves did (EDIT: and married only one - and stayed faithful to them). I think a powerful noble who sent his daughter to court and found that she had been 'violated' - even if willingly - would have been incensed and practically declared war on the royal family. Also - I think this was just an expression of who and what they were - as "Faithful" they adhered to proper veneration of Eru-Iluvatar, of the Valar - and of the Elves, whose customs I believe they would have copied. And - while their young would have had the same urges common to our youth today, I think they would have exercised self-control - and I think their society would have encouraged them to follow this morality and made it easier to do so (while our own society makes it harder to practice).

Still not appealing?

Well, all that said, I might still do a major re-write on this one some day. I'll certainly re-think this structure of the royal court. Also - I admit that I rushed this story to get it written. I hadn't been able to get to my writings for awhile, so I finally just plunked this one out.

And Rian - thanks for the tip about 'plucking' - I'll go back and change that, at least in my Word document. I may do a fair amount of re-writing anyway - even if I stick to this court set-up. For now though, it was just good to get something up here. And I want to get back to "Visitors"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-08-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #34
Valandil

'post-show' to over-ride 'post-hide-bug'

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #35
Valandil

A couple other "PS's"

In addition to wanting to get the story up there, I also didn't want it to get any longer. I thought this one would get really boring if it was long.

And - one more thing about the court structure. Remember the alternative which was a staple of so many other ancient cultures... arranged marriage!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #36
Snowdog

I guess another reason I found it dry is because I don't share your views on how the Numenorean/Arnorian social structure existed. As you said elsewhere... different strokes.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #37
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Rian - on the one hand, I see what you're saying. This is not "Pride and Prejudice" by any means. It doesn't deal directly with the main players, but it is as observed by someone who has a good view, but is still not really part of the interaction.
Yes, I realize that, but that still gives you a lot of opportunities to reveal things from his POV showing why the prince and the lady are desireable - things he sees, hears, overhears, figures out, etc.

Quote:
Also - oddly enough for what seems like a "romance" on the surface, my intent was not to show how or why the Heir and his future bride fell in love with each other (though I think that they did). It was really to introduce this structure of the royal court and how it operated.
EXACTLY!!!! That's my biggest complaint with the story. I felt mislead - I felt like it was "dishonest" in a way. If you would have started it with something like (very roughly) "Customs change over time, even in my lifetime. Some have asked me how my parents ran their court, and why they did as they did, and they want this information kept for our records of our people. I think the best way to do this is to tell about how my brother married his wife." Do you see what I mean? (again, just MHO, but I definitely felt that the story didn't live up to the opening line.)

Quote:
And - I see the objections that some of you have. It's hard to relate to in our modern society - but remember that the society in question is depicted as both ancient AND as Numenorean - and bear in mind the long life-spans and how those play a role.
yes, I have.

Quote:
One example I had was actually from "Aldarion and Erendis". Remember that Erendis was part of the court of Aldarion's mother the Queen. Remember also the GREAT lengths of time over which that relationship developed. I don't know if that should be viewed as a standard, but I sort of took that and ran with it and fleshed it out.
I don't think either one of them was normal and neither did their parents!

Quote:
And - it's not at all for a 'harem'. If so, it would have happened much faster. Again, as disconnected as it is from our modern view, I think the Dunedain would have all 'saved themselves for marriage' - as the Elves did
I don't think she meant it that way, but she'll have to speak for herself. I think she meant (and I feel too) that the underlying attitude was harem-like, in that the ladies' existence centered around pleasing the future king, and they were in a sense "discarded" when they weren't wanted.

Quote:
And Rian - thanks for the tip about 'plucking' - I'll go back and change that, at least in my Word document. I may do a fair amount of re-writing anyway - even if I stick to this court set-up. For now though, it was just good to get something up here. And I want to get back to "Visitors"
Perhaps change it from "strumming" to "ringing" - the tones will ring for some time, and that gives the same sense of how you used "strumming".

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 03-08-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #38
Snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Yes, I realize that, but that still gives you a lot of opportunities to reveal things from his POV showing why the prince and the lady are desireable - things he sees, hears, overhears, figures out, etc.
I agree... the characters would be more "engaging" if more feeling was put into their existance. Instead, there is this 'dryness' I mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
That's my biggest complaint with the story. I felt mislead - I felt like it was "dishonest" in a way. If you would have started it with something like (very roughly) "Customs change over time, even in my lifetime. Some have asked me how my parents ran their court, and why they did as they did, and they want this information kept for our records of our people. I think the best way to do this is to tell about how my brother married his wife." Do you see what I mean? (again, just MHO, but I definitely felt that the story didn't live up to the opening line.)
R*an says it much better than me, for in reading her comments, its basicly the same thoughts I got in reading through it.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #39
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
And - it's not at all for a 'harem'. If so, it would have happened much faster. Again, as disconnected as it is from our modern view, I think the Dunedain would have all 'saved themselves for marriage' - as the Elves did
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
I don't think she meant it that way, but she'll have to speak for herself. I think she meant (and I feel too) that the underlying attitude was harem-like, in that the ladies' existence centered around pleasing the future king, and they were in a sense "discarded" when they weren't wanted.
Yes, Rian is right, you misunderstood me, Val. I certainly didn't doubt that they "saved themselves for marriage", the dull Faithful they were. If I mentioned "harem", it is because of the following similarities:

1. You speak of high moral standards of the Dunedain. Then why wouldn't young men and girls be allowed to meet normally - as much as they wish? What is the fuss if a men and a girl take a solitary walk together? Why can't they be trusted not to outstep certain moral limits? Why all those harem-like restrictions?

2.The feelings of the young ladies were disregarded. Perhaps one of them would have preferred not a Prince, but someone else? But other men wouldn't approach her: only the Prince is given the green light - like in a harem. A girl has no possibility even to go talk with the man that pleases her. She can't even go talk and flirt with the Prince himself - so strictly everything is regulated. She has to sit like a flower in a flowerbed and let herself be plucked, or, more likely (39:1),.discarded.
Actually a harem girl is happier: if she is not chosen for this night, she will be chosen for another, no big deal. Here, just because of the Dunedain high moral standards, the choice is final.

3. The Prince has full choice of girls, as a sultan would: the custom eliminates ALL competition. Really, why? You want to show that the Prince is a hardly eligible young man. He is no cripple, no ugly monster, no weakling. And his high position gives him additional advantages. So what real threat are those young men around him?
-Normally a young man tries to better himself to win the heart of his ladylove. And this is surely beneficial for the man and for the future relationship. In your fic, I have a mental image of the yawning Prince coming to survey his "harem" in house slippers. What does it really matter what they might think of him?

As you correctly pointed out, Val, the Dunedain culture reflects that of the Elves and of Numenor. Now, can you REALLY imagine Galadriel or Arwen among those girls? Or Erendis? or Telperien, or, especially, Tar-Ancalime? You must be joking, Val!

The position of women both in the Elven and in Numenorean culture was high. Numenor was RULED by several headstrong women. Of course, after the Downfall, the Numenorean culture has dwindled - but not to become its reverse, a sort of an oriental harem thing!

I think, it is quite plausible that a queen with a marriageable son would invite as many eligible young ladies to court as possible. It is plausible that they would willingly come - to get an education, to meet young men. The same way as young male nobles come to court for the same reasons. But that would be it. Then each fends for himself or herself, and if there is a competition for the most desirable girl, then the Prince should compete. If he is good enough, he will win. And he will be sure that his wife doesn't secretly love another.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #40
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
I certainly didn't doubt that they "saved themselves for marriage", the dull Faithful they were.
Nah, it's not "dull" to save up EVERYTHING you have entirely for one person so it's full strength, not diluted at all - it ROCKS!!!

I agree with all your other points, though