Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #21
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Nahh, you should see it. [Edited] aside, it's definatley worth the few bucks to walk in the door. make sure you have heaps of popcorn, though...,
Old 05-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #22
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I thougth it was great. I'd like to see it again! I thought Brad Pitt was great as Achilles. (disregard all the nude scenes) Eric Bana was great and Sean Bean too. Great fight scenes and good points made as well. I felt for the characters and it was saddening to think that this occured in history. (and this is only one event) What a waste.

The love scenes were kind of boring and Orlando, ha it was great to see him as a wimp, hilarious. But I loved Legolas' debut

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:20 AM   #23
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I have seen it, but it didn't make much of an impression on me - that's the one where he plays Death or something, right? I might have to watch it again.
Yeah he plays death in it, and its not just him, the whole films great...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No it isn't. It sucksass. Now, if you want to see GOOD Brad Pitt, then Fight Club or 12 Monkeys are the films to see.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:30 AM   #25
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
No it isn't. It sucksass. Now, if you want to see GOOD Brad Pitt, then Fight Club or 12 Monkeys are the films to see.
no way, it rocks, YOU sucksass. the music is awesome aswell.... i dont know what to catagorize it as but its up there just below Secratary and Edward Scissorhands. Fight Club granted, but no Meet Joe Black is better than 12 monkeys.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #26
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I saw Troy last night and I liked it. It had its weaknesses, but it was well worth the money. I enjoyed (if you can use the word 'enjoy' about a war like this) the battle scenes, and the fight between Hector and Achilles was very good. The acting wasn't that bad as I had expected after reading some of the reviews. Peter O'Toole was great as Priam and so was Bana as Hector. OK, Pitt could have been better as Achilles, but, he looked gorgeous. Yes he did! Sean Bean did a respectable job as Odysseus. So did the woman who played Andromake, whoever that was.

Bloom did a weak performance as Paris. It was almost like a parody. And Aeneas looked like a teenager. I also think they didn't have to let Agamemnon and Menelaos behaving so lowly all the time.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #27
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hey, it's worth the few bucks.

Oh, and Attention everyone! Troy in 15 minutes! Lots of SPOILERS (though there shouldn't be any need to say that. )

Small SPOILER:

Paris is practicing archery on a nice straw man nailed up to the wall. He hits bull's-eye after bull's-eye.

HELEN: Wow, I had no idea you were so good at this.

PARIS: Neither did I. Weird, isn’t it? And I really want lembas now.

HELEN: What?

Last edited by Falagar : 05-22-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:22 AM   #28
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Troy in Fifteen minutes was great.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #29
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

saw it last night and orlando bloom will be labeled an elf his whole life, i could see him movies without having anything to do with bow and arrows but im sure they will work some sort of elf thing into every movie he does eric bana is a crazy actor, just that before troy he played a geeky nerd guy and now he plays one of the best warriors in the world, sean bean was good too. whenever i saw the actor playing agamenmon (sorry i dont know his name) i just kept seeing stryker from x-men2. overall it was good,i cant say if it stuck to the illiad seeing as i have never read it, but all the effects were good, overall it was pretty good
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #30
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Yeah, I guessTroy would be nice to see.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #31
Mercutio

It was pretty good, but nothing exceptional. And for me there were a few "close your eyes" parts. Many battle scenes were reminescent of LoTR. Hector was amazing. Brad Pitt as Achilles seemed to be in it just for his looks and fame; but there wasn't much he could do with the blunt script (at some points). Hmm...., they kind of "demythologized" it, took out so much that was credited to the gods. There was a lot of violence, but it wasn't very bloody (only a few bits of gore here and there). And most of it came straight from the Illiad (by Homer) and the Aenid (by Virgil). I didn't realize so much of the smaller happenings/parts actually "took place" (from Homer and Virgil's poems/stories). I really liked just the massiveness of some of the scenes. And I hated Achilles with a passion! Who care's if he's Brad Pitt! Homer portrayed him a lot nicer than the movie.

I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:10 PM   #32
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Yeah, I guess Troy would be nice to see.
very funny. i'm falling of the chair with laughter :sacrastic laugh:

jk

Old 05-23-2004, 10:30 PM   #33
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Homer portrayed him a lot nicer than the movie.
Really? What specifically in Homer's works lends this idea to you?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:20 PM   #34
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Really? What specifically in Homer's works lends this idea to you?
Since I haven't actually read it...I looked up what it said about Achilles in a guide to the Classics and Oxford History of the Classical World. And also a review of the movie online.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:04 AM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Mercutio, you might what to see if you can find a non censured article of the Iliad.

Achilles does refuse to fight and IIRC Protrolus is his lover not cousin, he ( Achilles) tell a Trojan warrior to "sumbit to his caress or die" and I also believe he has his way with Penthesilia AFTER he has killed her.

This just to give a more Homeric view of the character as opposed to movie view.

I will try to verify the above info.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:16 AM   #36
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

One quick thing I found:

The story of the invulnerability of Achilles is not found in Homer, and is inconsistent with his account. For how could Achilles require the aid of celestial armour if he were invulnerable?
[see sources: Library of Apollodorus 3.13.6 and Notes]
Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #37
Garbo
Hobbit

Saw the making of last night. Looks great.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #38
Maedhros
The Tall

The guys at Hollywood used the Illiad and Euripide's Trojan Woman as toilet paper in their script. It was a bad omen in trying to make that movie without the gods. They took the soul out of it.
Agamemnon was portrayed more diabolically than I thought possible. Achilles was the ultimate prima donna.
The plot was really bad, the acting worse, the script was missing. The fights were cool tho.

Quote:
Achilles does refuse to fight and IIRC Protrolus is his lover not cousin,
Where did you get that? That is not in the Illiad as far as I know, not in any tragedy that I have read about.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #39
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I didn't go into the movie expecting the Iliad for the same reason you don't walk into just any biographical picture about Julius Caesar and complain that the lines aren't from Shakespeare. I enjoyed the movie a lot more because of it. It's flawed, and it's no masterpiece, but only very rarely did it outright suck.

I posted a long (i.e. about 1500 words) review here if anyone's interested. Excerpt:

Quote:
Troy ends with an almost joking dedication, "Inspired by Homer's Iliad," when adaptation-wise it more precisely sits somewhere in between O Brother, Where Art Thou? being inspired by the Odyssey and, to draw an obligatory Peter O'Toole connection for a moment, Lawrence of Arabia's roots in Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Never mind the Homeric credit; this is a film best watched for what it is, which is not at all an arm of mythology, but rather a dramatized historical portrait of mythmaking.

This is not to say that Troy is not without its distractions, and there are many. Many of them involve pacing, particularly of the first and last act. The opening is riddled with an excess of title cards that cheat their way around exposition, and the initiation of the conflict proved to be a pickle when avoiding any mucking about with that god brouhaha. At the end, after the point at which the Iliad has had its fill, the movie suddenly realizes that it has some unfinished business, and rushes to completion. It's as if someone in the editing department realized that once Hector is out of the picture, the glue holding the movie together starts to dissipate, so why not wrap everything up in a hurry?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #40
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

Where did you get that? That is not in the Illiad as far as I know, not in any tragedy that I have read about.
Actually, I thought it was quite common knowledge. I don't have the Illiad available but just do a google search with :achilles lover patroclus and you can find all the info you want.

When Agamemnnon takes Breisis( sp) Achilles refuses to fight.

I personally did like that fact that the Gods where not involved. Didn't desire to watch XENA. I think that it would have supremely campy with them as to simply opposed to as you say:
Quote:
The plot was really bad, the acting worse, the script was missing. The fights were cool tho.
However, I do not wish to engage in a Gods vs no Gods discussion. We just have different thoughts on it.

Last edited by afro-elf : 05-25-2004 at 07:53 PM.