Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Off subject but, how would they kill Sauromon and Grima if there is no Scouring of the Shire? If the 5 hour thing is true then I would expect Ghan-buri-ghan to be in it because to explain or show that whole story there I'd say a good 30 min. are needed. It wouldn't suprise me if they did make the EE more important...simply because this was different from other movies so why not have everyhitng different? Why exactly was Merry at the Black Gates? He was supposed to be hurt. Wasn't Pip supposed to be hurt to? I really need to reread the books.
I believe they had a sequence where the two of them died at Orthanc (while Gandalf & Co were visiting)... so it accomplished the task of killing those two villains without adding another segment to the story at the end. (EDIT: and it was GOING to be in the theatrical of RotK, but got cut out to help keep the time to 3:21)

Maybe they'll just have Merry be tough enough to recover in time to march with the army. Pippin was at the Black Gate in the books - I don't believe he had been hurt up to that time.

I wonder if the EE will ALSO include any of Denethor's use of the Palantir at Minas Tirith...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 04-13-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #22
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I am really looking forward to anything involving Faramir and Eowyn… incurable romantic that I am… in the book it is just so beautiful and I hope they do it properly. It's one of my absolute favourite scenes from the book…

'And so they stood on the walls of the City of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air' (the only problem being, of course, that in the movie Faramir does NOT have raven-coloured hair… for which i can't quite forgive Peter Jackson)…'And the Shadow departed, and the Sun was unveiled, and ight leaped forth; and the waters of the Anduin shone like silver, and in all the houses of the City men sang for the joy that welled up in their hearts from what source they coould not tell.'

Sigh…
Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #23
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I got these from Ain't it Cool News, and these are some potential scenes for the EE. Don't take my work for it though... you can't believe everything you read on the net.

Quote:
- Word is that New Line are balking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA... our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first.

- This one isn't going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we'll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm's Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.

- Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.

- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen's sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.

- From the horse's mouth: ?Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he's going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf's staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King's fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.'

- ?We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.'

- ?In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.'

- ?A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That's him, yelling Come on you slugs!.'

- ?The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix's Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn't need them, see? He's just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it's their last stand for sure, and Aragorn's line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time.'
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #24
Valandil

Theoden

Yes - I'd forgotten about Merry's oath to Theoden. Also - I saw a pic once that I thought was the Mouth of Sauron - but then is was taken off the web... one of those 'No Longer Available' things. He had sort of a bluish coloration to him... and I remember fangs. I only saw a small image, but it almost looked 'icy'.

Come to think of it, I hope we ALSO get to see the one ugly orc commander at the siege of Minas Tirith meet his end. In the theatrical, we just assume he dies somewhere along the way, since the entire black army is wiped away. Surprising though to build up a baddie and not actually show him getting 'offed'... I suspect it was filmed but then cut from theatrical.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #25
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Yeah same here. I really hated that guy. And he looked slightly comical anyway. I always watch it and think that that huge piece of rock will crush him, but it never does and I'm always dissapointed.

And I always wondered why Eomer was crying. I'm not sure if it would be for Gamling though. It could also be for his uncle... though like I said I'm not sure.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:58 AM   #26
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
Come to think of it, I hope we ALSO get to see the one ugly orc commander at the siege of Minas Tirith meet his end.
Yeah, maybe all the fluid in his head finally built up so much that he just exploded.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:43 AM   #27
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I have heard that there might also be a scene between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor -- sort of a flashback concerning the reason Boromir goes to Rivendell and a bit of background on the relationship between the three of them.

I have no idea if this is true. My friend and fanatic movie and fangirl told me this. She's usually pretty reliable in her information.

(but she hasn't read the books. just the cliff notes version!!!!!!!! *sigh*)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:49 AM   #28
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i'd like to see ghan-buri-gan, but i havent heard anything about that part being in the movie at all so im just ebing hopeful
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:27 AM   #29
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Er....

http://www.elflady.com/legolasgreenl...d_04may_05.jpg
http://www.elflady.com/legolasgreenl...d_04may_06.jpg
http://www.elflady.com/legolasgreenl...d_04may_08.jpg
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #30
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

hmm i cant view any of those links anduril
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #31
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Click here and scroll down until you see the first entry for 11 April. Open pages 5, 6, and 8.

Last edited by Andúril : 04-21-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #32
Valandil

Theoden

Bump!

Since people are talking about it in the 'ROTK DVD' thread!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #33
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well, two clips I've seen on the DVD (in documentaries that were'nt in the theatrical release.) Were more Merry & Theoden, and Gimli & the men of Rohan teching Legolas a drinking game LOL!

Legolas: So it's a drinking game? What is the purpose?
Gimli: The last one standing wins!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #34
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The release date for the EE is "Holiday 2004". Whatever that means. You Americans would have to tell me.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:18 PM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

That means it won't be out before November. It could mean around Thanksgiving (end of Nov., in time for the Christmas shopping season), or even as late as right around Christmas.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:13 PM   #36
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

*sigh* rats; i was hoping that since they released the dvd earlier, they'd release the EE earlier, too

as to which scenes i'm most looking forward to? eowyn and faramir (because it means more screen time for my fav character ) and the deaths of wormtounge and saruman- those were some of the best parts in the end of the book!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #37
Hawklan
Enting

As Finrod Felagund states, there is a drinking game between Gimli and Legolas - well I hav'nt seen it but read it "somewhere" - or maybe it waa a dream !!!!

I am most intrigued by Ghan-buri Ghan - its a part I hadnt anticipated being included, but am really quite keen on it now its been mentioned, anybody got any info on actor/photos ?
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #38
Mrs Maggot
Enting

That drinking game was in one of the special features on the DVD– I can't remember which one, it was one of those shows about making the movie and I'm like 'I swear that wasn't in the movie…' so i wasn't going crazy, that's great to hear.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #39
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Sam Gamgee

I've seen the scene where Eomer was crying on the battle field, but I don't think it would be over Gamling. In the book he thinks Eowyn is dead after she is injured by the Witch King. It is possible that this is the reason for his grief as we do not see Eowyn leaving the battle field in the movie. He could also be crying over Theoden'd death, however, I think the only thing to move him to such grief would be the belief that his sister is dead.

I have also seen pictures from the scene where Legolas and Gimli are involved in a drinking game. I have also seen a picture where Merry pledges his allegience to Theoden.

It will certainly be an interesting extended edition. I can't wait to watch all the extended editions in a row. What a sit in that will be!!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #40
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron.
That makes no sense. If the MoS knew that Frodo was supposed to have the ring (but didn't, remember Sam had it by then) then the whole of Mordor would be focusing on Cirith Ungol to get that darned Ring back - NOTHING else was more important to Sauron, even if without it he was in reality too strong to be beaten (hence why the only hope was to destroy it).

What will undoubtedly actually happen will be what happens in the book - they simply think Frodo is a spy, and his quest has failed. I think someone saw this and made the wrong assumption about Frodo's quest and what the enemy assumed his quest was.