Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #21
Sween
im quite stupid

This is all very intrested but could we get bk to the topic? How much effort did we put in and what were the deciding factors of the war!

The way its allways been protrayed to me as an englishman is that in the end it was just too far away and we couldnt really be arsed with it. Im sure these are both higly debatiable points
Old 07-18-2003, 09:57 AM   #22
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You know I agree completely. I'm happy in the USA but love the UK-Brits.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:45 AM   #23
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

sorry Sween! I wasn't there, there wern't any video clips, no family members can tell me. ..has Ken Burns done an American Revolution bit? He's good at capturing the times accurately.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #24
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
...and (although I don't want to say it and no I don't want to flame) Americans have very little patience and/or sense of humour when it comes to non-American or anti-American jokes (even when obviously so)
Lighten up.
Most Americans don't take that well, you are right. I can only speak from my own perspective and not for others on this subject. There are so many people in the world that do not like (if not outright hate) Americans, that it becomes hard to take any negative words at all.

Why do they hate us? I don't really know why, truthfully. I can understand why they would disapprove of some of the things our government has done in the past. Hell, I've disapproved as well. But to outright hate Americans as a whole is not right. Just as disliking Brits as a whole is not right.

Sorry Sween, back on topic.

I believe that the Americas were a source of new income and wealth to Brittian and I seriously doubt that it was just too far for them to care. There was a lot of battles on American soil, not to mention the battering of harbors by the Brittish fleet. They wanted the Americans to stay a part of their territories, that's apparent. There are monuments all over the East (especially the North East) to the War for Independence, representing battles and lost lives. Again, though, I am no expert in history, let alone American history, so I will conceed this to another with more knowledge.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
How much effort did we put in and what were the deciding factors of the war!

The way its allways been protrayed to me as an englishman is that in the end it was just too far away and we couldnt really be arsed with it. Im sure these are both higly debatiable points
Believe me Sween - it was VERY important to the British crown. The British just miscalcualted. They thought it was going to be easy. A few short battles and the colonists willl be put down. Britain sent over German Mercenaries (the Hessians) to even help.

The British thought that when they drove Washington through NJ back to Pennsylvania - that it was over. For Washington it was going to be over. The troops were going to leave if there weren't victories. Then came the crossing of the Delaware Christmas morning, the surprise attack at Trenton and then Battle of Princeton. This saved the Revolution and the troops stayed. (This is when Thomas Paine wrote - "These are the times that try men souls") The British were shocked - they thought victory was in their hands. The war lasted about 7 years.

The British were also under the impression if they captured Philadelphia - the war was over. They captured Philadelphia - and the war went on (they wintered there) while washington wintered in valley Forge (which was NOT the snow and cold hell it is portrayed as, that's myth- the real winter occurred in Morristown NJ).

The British left Philadelphia and Washington left Valley Forge to meet up with the British. The 2 day battle in 100 degree heat with high humidity occurred on June 28th and June 29th at the Battle of Monmouth - Road To Monmouth 255th anniversary site. The British, Hessians, etc were NOT used to this heat. Many people died from heat stroke. Lee almost surrendered - he turned tail, there is controvercy as to whether he did the right thing under the circumstances (a few days later he was courtmartialed). Anyway - Washington arrived - collected the troops and led the attack. The battle would have gone on for a 3rd day - except when the Americans woke up the British had run away. Washington then pursued the British through NJ and forced them out at Sandy Hook on July 5th - where they took ships to NY. The British had failed to split the colonies in half and never stepped foot in NJ again (at least officially). The British could not deal with the heat and the cold. They experienced the worst winter in 100 years (while Washington was camped out in Morristown, not Valley Forge) and the hottest July - Monmouth Battlefield.

Go forward - and the French enter the war - but the British couldn't get anymore troops and reenforcements over. The French fleet was protecting America. It was hoped by the British that the Republic would fail in one way or another and then they could come in and scoop it back up. That is one of the main reasons it supported the South. They wanted the United States to destroy itself. Needless to say they didn't succeed. The surrender of Charleston would not have happened - if the French fleet hadn't arrived to prevent the British fleet from landing their reeinforcements.

By the way - there are questions as to how well the British officers and military really tried to win. America was very important to the Crown and to Britain - but the soldiers got very tired of walking through farms and being shot at by farmers, as well as the heat, being so far from home, going through swamps, etc. It was miserable for the British troops with their heavy wool uniforms. Communication between America and Britain was a long ocean voyage.

Hemel - I'm sure you're comment "it was about tea" was a joke. The tea was only because of the stamp act and because America was forced to only take British goods. The British forced all foreign ships into British harbors - would tax the merchandise there - then load it onto British ships and ship it to America. Not to mention all the other grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence, such as tearing up our charters - which was the big one, blockading our ports, illegally searching ships without warrants, etc. They were also taking people from America to be tried in British courts. This to us were outrages.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:37 PM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

continued...

We are patriotic and it is surprising at how little "patriotism" other countres have. In 8th grade it was a real honor to raise the flag outside of the school. I meant down to my cousins last night and going through Cranbury, Hightstown, Allentown and houses have the American flag and American bunting and stuff outside. These towns are colonial towns and Washington and the British marched through these towns on the way to Monmouth. New Jersey is one of the most patriotic states and there are flags all over the place. Part of the reason for this is that the majority of Revolutionary battles took place in NJ - it's nickname is Cockpit of the Revolution. Washington spent more than 50% of his time in NJ.

By they way - here are some sites....

Trenton Barracks: This is the only surviving Barracks from the French and Indian War and where the Hessians were when Washington surprised them on Christmas morning.
Short History of Battle of Monmouth
Battle of Princeton
The Patriotic Resource: The American Revolutionary Era
Mercer County: Epicenter of the Revolution
Background of Revolutionary War: Concentrates on the Philadelphia Campaigns.
American Revolution: A lot of good links.
Revolutionary War FAQs
From Revolution to Reconstruction: Summary History of the US (includes colonial period too).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-18-2003 at 01:13 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote