Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2002, 12:28 AM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Why do you think pop culture is so popular?

I agree with Wayfarer on this. If it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be pop culture, now would it? Just a thought...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 03:18 AM   #22
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Modern music is so bad, I havn't brought a CD by an artist of today for years. The only reason that Britney Spears is popular is because she is pretty and parades around with hardly any clothes on. Video clips are shocking, just women dancing around with the bare minumum on.

My sisters like modern music and I tease them about it and they tease me about my love of old music. If you listen to music today and older music, there is no comparison. The Beatles, Elvis, Stones ect are so much better that crappy pop music of today. I only listen to radio stations that have older music.

There arn't many artists of today I respect, maybe Craig David, U2, Eminem, umm thats all I think.

Pop culture is popular because everyone is following there friends, they don't want to be uncool. I guess I'm just a geek.

Todays movies arn't much better. The stupid blockbusters always get more money that great smaller budget movies. There are so many good movies that not many people have even heard of. But everyone had heard (and probably seen) of crappy movies like Armageddon and Batman.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:44 AM   #23
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

In my opinion, one can't live in the modern world without being touched or influenced by pop culture, mainly because it is everywhere: not only in the music (and I'm not only talking about the likes of Britney and etc, MOST of music today should be considered as being part of not propably "main-stream" but still part of popular culture), but also movies, advertising, art, fashion, the internet...

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:02 PM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

Regarding music: pop music started to get bad in the late 80s (right when I was in high school ). Pop music started to blend with hip hop, and eventually everything started sounding the same. They all had that fake drumbeat. "Alternative" arose as, well, an alternative, but that too became cliche and all started sounding the same. The problem is (like movies) the ccroporations wanted sure bets, and so they pressured everyone to go with what worked before.

When you look at the pop charts from before about 1986, you had hits in the top ten from artists of very different styles. For instance, in December of 1980, you had Blondie, John Lennon, Kool and the Gang, Kenny Rogers, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Diana Ross, and Air Supply on the charts. All very different sounds. They now have a few different charts, and the artists all seem so cookie cuttered. There IS some very good music out there, but it's just so rare that you find an artist that has something really special to offer.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Sween
im quite stupid

pop music is definally becoming one product so to say. All these bands seem to bringing influences of hip hop and rap to pop music. a lot of what you would deam rock music is becoming poppy (anyone heard Bowling for soup) it started with Blink 182.

At the moment there seems to be a void of music. theres nothing out to define a generation. The last of this was brit pop in england. since then there does not seem to be anything that sticks in your mind.the thing about popular cultire is that popular means young genrally. My peents loves the beatles because that was there sound and the soundtrack to there youth much like when i think of the events of my life i hear 90's music but there perents hated the beatles.

Its a thing that just happens as you get older. in a few years we will all hate new music.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:51 PM   #26
BeardofPants
the Shrike

And now for the big question: is LOTR considered "pop culture"?
Old 07-26-2002, 10:16 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think it is somewhat, in the general way that fantasy is pop culture.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:16 PM   #28
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

The movie version definitely is.

The 3-volume book probably is already.

Sil and the others are not, IMO.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:35 PM   #29
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
At the moment there seems to be a void of music. theres nothing out to define a generation. The last of this was brit pop in england. since then there does not seem to be anything that sticks in your mind.the thing about popular cultire is that popular means young genrally. My peents loves the beatles because that was there sound and the soundtrack to there youth much like when i think of the events of my life i hear 90's music but there perents hated the beatles.

Its a thing that just happens as you get older. in a few years we will all hate new music.
Very well put, Sween.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:39 PM   #30
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88

Only recently have I become interested in what I call "educated pop"- artists like Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Celine Dion, Avril Lavagne, Natalie Imbruglia, Jewel, etc.
Love Michelle Branch. I think these artists are an example of the difference between "pop music" and "popular music" - good music occasionally becomes just as popular as the teenybopper stuff. Creed is a good example of this phenomenon.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:44 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You think Creed is good?! Bah!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #32
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think the lead singer of Creed is an ass, but the guys do make some good music - I can't deny them that.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:12 PM   #33
Jadera
Elven Warrior

There really is no originality in the world today. Most of the music sounds the same, (yes, all of pop music sounds the same...rap...how can you tell?) the movie scripts are all the same, all the clothes in every store look the same and it's all because everybody wants to be like everybody else. People are afraid to stand out in todays world, because they're afraid that they'll create conflict.
Or maybe challenge other people?
Everything has to be 'comfortable.' Not a lot of people are willing to get down to the base of things and make a difference. They're too busy being concerned with what's cool and what's not. But I have to ask, who sets what's cool?
The big coporations? Britney Spears? What?
I just think that people need to gain a sense of individualism again, and the freedom to be different than everybody else.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:13 PM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadera
I just think that people need to gain a sense of individualism again, and the freedom to be different than everybody else.
I second that! Errr....
Old 07-26-2002, 11:17 PM   #35
Jadera
Elven Warrior

*grins*
There can be small exceptions.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:23 PM   #36
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Just remember: you are unique, just like everyone else.

I don't think that music today is all that bad, now that it appears the boy band phase is over. These things seem to come around in cycles (New Kids on the Block, anyone?) and I think that we'll start seeing the return of retro stuff into pop culture. Wait a minute, that's already happening. Nevermind.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:31 PM   #37
Jadera
Elven Warrior

*hides *Nsync cds*
*groans*
Thank goodness the boy bands are gone...I bought the last Nsync CD and nearly cried when I got it in the player. All the songs sounded alike.
And then I found Bon Jovi....
And then, to be totally different, I started listening to Japanese pop/rock. And had to look up all the lyrics but hey, it was good. I think everyone's up for a change in today's styles. Change is good. Just as long as they keep iced coffee around.

Old 07-27-2002, 08:13 AM   #38
Sween
im quite stupid

Mind u theres nowt like a bit of cheesy pop at 1 o clock at night when ur drunk with ur mates to get ya on the dance floor. God bless s club 7.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:28 AM   #39
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Celine Dion educated pop ?????????????????????

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:01 PM   #40
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'll just ramble here.....Pop culture seems to have come about from young people having too much time on their hands. Before the industrial revolution, people (young and old) spent most of their time providing the necessities of food and shelter for themselves. I think of the first modern pop culture as the twenties thing, when great grandma and grandpa were swallowing goldfish, wearing racoon coats, and saying "23 skidoo"... I bet they had some silly music to go along with it. If pop culture seems to be getting worse, let's give these young people something constructive to do! (ducks!) Think of all the insane phases that have come and gone! (old people enjoy pop culture too )

Last edited by Lizra : 07-27-2002 at 01:04 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote