Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #21
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

I was homeschooled from the very beginning,and it works great for me.
I wasn't brought into the program because my parents though I was unable to deal with regular public school,but because they felt it was best for my brothers and I.It was for a number of reasons.

Now first off,to those that don't know,they way I'm homeschooled is not where my parents decide how good I did on my studies, or anything like that.We get our work books from a public school that supports the program,and THEY grade our work.We take tests at the school,not at home.We are simply doing the schoolwork at home.

Now,homeschooling is good in these ways as well:

No worry of having to 'fit in' with your other classmates,so less distractions,making way for better concentration,of course!

No bullies

No bus problems

Not to mention,it well bring the students closer to their homeschooling parents.Much less,if any, feelings of parents being 'out of touch' after hanging with your 'cool group' classmates and trying to fit in. You have a great deal of respect for your parents.

AND, YOU CAN STILL HAVE FRIENDS AND BE SOCIABLE.It's all good.

The main problem is though,that homeschooling cannot be done THAT easily normally,especially if both parents have full jobs.

That's,my take on it.And I'm in High School now.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #22
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

homeschooling

I homeschooled up until 6th grade, at which point I entered in to a christian school. Looking back on it, I think I have come to a lot of realizations having homeschooled most of my life so far (I am in 9th grade) and oh, the many things to say... But I am only one case and the situations can vary very much (which is one of the reasons I don't like it, too unprofessional) so keep in mind I have only my experiences to form my own perspective... atleast from my situation. So yeah. at the beginning of every thought insert a 'In my experience' lol

I may have had better experienced with homeschooling if I have homeschooled like Giroth is... The way my parents did it, it was quite subjective. My mom didn't add up my points to come up with a grade. She just sat and thought "hmmmm what should liz get in english? she does pretty good, so I'll give her a B." and such. It was really stupid. School was linked with personal life, obviously, so some days if I got in a fight with my mom she would give me an F for the day.

I think Lizra has a point. Many homeschoolers are christian. In fact I think most all of them are. The point? Hm.... I think only religious fanatics could be so obsessed with moral to shelter their kids so much. Many of the families were a bit psycho. Of the 4 we were closest to, 3 of them had 8 or more children. The other only had several children, but their mother was a gossiping, contradictory woman I have some issues with at the moment. She has made numerous predictions to the end of the world based on the bible, all of which she believed very strongly in until the time passed and the world continued on.

Part of me being very moral myself, although not religious, I can understand why parents wouldn't want to expose their children to the 'sins of the world', in fear that their children would give in to them. However, they will get exposure at one point or another, and rather than their years of sheltering 'making them strong' from such enfluences, it seems to do the opposite. Most kids I know who homeschooled and are now going to school are no longer christians and partake in much of the things that many other kids don't do. So, basically, the parents have 2 options. a)send the child/ren to school to have exposure to undesirable things and hope that they resist them (which shouldn't be a problem if they REALLY believe in what they are supposed to believe) or b) homeschool and shelter them so they cna get exposure to it later and resume the palpability and purity of an infant in the face of the world. Even if I were a christian, I would choose A. I would rather have a child who is not christian but doesn't claim to be over a child who is a weak christian who cannot stand up to the world.

I think morality is the #1 popular reason for homeschooling. Second may be lack of faith for the school system. I think I learn much quicker when I homeschooled, and I only schooled for 2 or 3 hours. But this schooling was probably more efficiant than the 7 hours I get in school. Homeschooling, atleast in my scenario, is ultimately, i think, more damaging (emotionally) to an individual. My parents and I conflict greatly with one another, especially my mother and I, and my mother was the one who did most of my schooling. At the age of 10 I was getting 'spanked' just about every day, sometimes every other. But my parents believed strongly in homeschooling me, I was just bad, that was all. And going to school would just ignore the problems that I was getting spanked for (disrespect blah blah blah - my mother is a psychobitch and I think wants more authority than she obtains. So anything to her is disrespect. Still to this day I get 'spanked' for asking her what is for dinner when she is on the phone). My parents decided to send me to school because they were fed up with me, and decided to leave it up to my teachers to punish my 'respect' problem. I have never been accused of being disrespectful with any of my teachers
At the beginning of my regular schoolgoing, i desperatley tried to fit in with my peers, to a pathetic degree. I now contradict that
and have learned to think for myself. I'm not sure how it works. Many of my peers don't have very strong personalities or think for themselves, against the general brainwashed superficial population. I doubt I would have become strong if i had continued to hoimeschooling, and i'm not sure I would have become strong if I had been schooling all my life. I doubt I would be the way I am if i was socially accepted in 6th grade, but whatever bad things went wrong to make me the way I am, I am thankful for them .

Other cases of homeschooling have turned out moderately okay. But in no way do I agree with homeschooling as a rule. Case by case, it may be tolerable. But in general i disagree with it.

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 10-21-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #23
Sminty_Smeagol

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
Not to mention,it well bring the students closer to their homeschooling parents.Much less,if any, feelings of parents being 'out of touch' after hanging with your 'cool group' classmates and trying to fit in. You have a great deal of respect for your parents.
excuse me if I laugh here a bit. Apparently, Situation to situation varies greatly. Most of the kids I know who homeschool detest their parents, and give them no respect aside from the pseudo respect they demand. I think it's better to get away from the parents and ignore them if you're in a situation like this, rather than interconnect it with schoolwork and teaching. Atleast the teachers at an attended school call me a 'gosh darn fricking crapball'< to tone it down....
Old 10-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #24
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
my mother is a psychobitch
You'll be sorry when she's gone.

I was homeschooled 2 years, 5th and 6th grade. Transition period? I was despondant at school for many many many reasons, didn't pay attention didn't do my homework. Nothing was challanging for me. My Father then enrolled me in christian program, weeded out what he thought was contradictory to his belief system (I agree that while I am living in his house, not 18 he has the right to do such things) and I excelled.

I am now 15, in 10th grade, and duel-enrolled in both highschool and college.

The standard of learning from a private homeschooling system, a public homeschooling system, and private and public schools, for the most part digress as listed. I can say this for I have been in several of each.

Doing the private h/s'ing helped me get ahead of what is considered "normal" to know, and has boosted my academics and work ethic 100%.

I wouldn't give away my two years.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #25
Sminty_Smeagol

hm. interesting. If anything, my work ethic has decreased. I was a grade ahead, but put in with my age as I started school, and I have yet to give a **** about academics. My assessment test scores decent enough, and I think that's the only way I'm actually passing.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:21 PM   #26
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Well, it seems all the main points have been discussed, but I'll tell you my experience.

Let me tell you first that I love to learn, read, and study and I always have.
I attended a private school for the first 9 years and then ((on my own choice) homeschooled for high school. For me, I thought homeschooling was the better option.
As for the curriculum, there were certain requirements to meet, but outside those I was able to choose the subjects I wanted to learn and I had the freedom to do so. I finished my work early in the day and had the time to do other activites like music, sports, art, etc., or I could spend all day studying, if I wanted to. I didn't have the distraction from other kids and I had the one on one help if I needed. I finished high school in 3 yrs and I feel I have a better education than most other teens.

As for socialization, I do not have that many friends, but that is my own chioce. It's not because of homeschooling. Sure I don't have the same opportunity to meet people, but there are so many groups that one can join, and I did join. When I was in school and surrounded by 20 other kids my own age, I was happier reading a book or off playing by myself. Now, I don't have the same reality as many teens my own age, but I think I'm better off for it.

My sister has a bit different story. In school she never really liked to study, and while she's very smart, she'd rather talk to her friends and well.... goof off. School wasn't getiing her anywhere. My mother took her out to homeschool her hoping she'd get an education. She has been doing much better, being separated from the distractions, but she's still not really moving in her studies. She doesn't seem to want to learn and therefore doesn't. The only thing is that being home she doesn't have a disciplined schedule and when it's not enforced then she can get away with not studying. But that was occuring in school too, so she needs to want to learn. She is very involved in sports and other activities, so socializing is not a problem.

And I have to go so I'll finish this discussion later.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #27
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

Quote:
excuse me if I laugh here a bit. Apparently, Situation to situation varies greatly. Most of the kids I know who homeschool detest their parents, and give them no respect aside from the pseudo respect they demand. I think it's better to get away from the parents and ignore them if you're in a situation like this, rather than interconnect it with schoolwork and teaching. Atleast the teachers at an attended school call me a 'gosh darn fricking crapball'< to tone it down....

Hmmmmmmm.......I guess situations DO vary greatly with homeschooling...

Well well well, I guess I just have a great deal of respect for my parents because of the work they have put into this,because it would have been SO easy just to send us to normal school.The students can spend more time with the parent,and respect will come with good parent teachers.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

Old 10-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #28
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I agree with Giroth, our family has grown closer since homeschooling. I get along great with my parents. But no not everyone has the same situation.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #29
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

correct.the results depend on the parents and the situation.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:37 PM   #30
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

This is an argument that comes up in my family and I want to know your opinions.

Which do you think is better?
A child who homeschools will be growing up in a safe environment. There is no need to worry about bullies, invalidation, drugs, crime, peer pressure, and other negative things that do exist in public schools. He/She won't be influenced by other children, take on other valences, feel like he needs to follow the crowd and fit in with his generation. He will grow up being and individual, strong and independent, and with morals.

Or
If a child goes to a public school and might be exposed to everything I mentioned above or worse. The kid might take drugs, get beaten up, you get the idea. Is it better for a kid to experience these things, learn from them and thier mistakes, and become stronger from it?

Drugs, crime, bullies, etc. , they exist out in the "real world". One will usually become exposed to it at one point in their life. Should a child grow up separate from it and then as an adult face the "world", or should one learn early on what is out there.

So the question is; sooner or later?

I hope this makes sense.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #31
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
this works ok for some but certainly not for everyone. and for some it is actually quite damaging. giving this kind of advice to some means essentially banashing them to drop through the cracks of our society because they simply cant adapt to that kind of socializing. so basically it depends on the individual.
Sure, everyone's experiences are different, and homeschooling isn't for everyone. I totally agree.

But I'm sticking to my guns on this one, IRex. One could turn that argument around and say that there are many kids who go through their day at school surrounded by hundreds of kids, and still are completely isolated socially.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 PM   #32
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
This is an argument that comes up in my family and I want to know your opinions.

Which do you think is better?
A child who homeschools will be growing up in a safe environment. There is no need to worry about bullies, invalidation, drugs, crime, peer pressure, and other negative things that do exist in public schools. He/She won't be influenced by other children, take on other valences, feel like he needs to follow the crowd and fit in with his generation. He will grow up being and individual, strong and independent, and with morals.

Or
If a child goes to a public school and might be exposed to everything I mentioned above or worse. The kid might take drugs, get beaten up, you get the idea. Is it better for a kid to experience these things, learn from them and thier mistakes, and become stronger from it?

Drugs, crime, bullies, etc. , they exist out in the "real world". One will usually become exposed to it at one point in their life. Should a child grow up separate from it and then as an adult face the "world", or should one learn early on what is out there.

So the question is; sooner or later?

I hope this makes sense.
I think the best possible scenario is one in which the child MAY OR MAY NOT be exposed to those things, but that he is able to withstand/ react to them appropriately and with strength and courage, taught by and then later encouraged by the parents.
I DON'T think the public schools should be used as a "testing ground" for living in the real world in the way you suggest: that they should go to school to be exposed to crime, drug use and bullying. Rather, the decision to send a child to public school should be based on what the parents perceive to be the best setting in which the child can learn.
Frankly, I was exposed to more drug use and bullying at public school than I have EVER experienced since. I don't see being bullied and using drugs/ being around drug users as a true test of what it is like to live in the real world. A better test would be to make the kid get a job and pay his own way through life ( ), but that would be counter-productive to the educational goals (in order to get maximum value from the education, he must be able to devote his full energies to his studies, with adequate time for R&R, non-scholastic pursuits, and something else that is a good preparation for the "real world" -- housework! )
I think that the parent must be very involved in the child's education no matter what the situation, and if that means public school, then they should keep tabs on what their child is being exposed to. If it starts to affect their performance OR compromise the morals the parents are trying to instill, then home schooling would be a good option.
My son starts Kindergarten next year, and I hate the thought of what he'll be exposed to in school (by that I mean the other kids). Not only did I have bad experiences when attending public school, I also had students in my classes (when I was a teacher) I wouldn't want in my son's class. But he is one of those that really does need to have the socialization component, so it makes sense for us to at least try it. It's funny, the other kids are the reason we worry about public school, but it's also the very reason we are choosing it! (Unless we win the lottery and could afford private school , but then there's no guarantee that would be much better!)

Basically, I don't buy into the "let's go ahead and expose him to it now, because it's inevitable he'll be exposed eventually" theories.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #33
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I completely agree.

But do you think you are better off having experienced those negative things in public school?

I personally don't think there would be anything to gain from having to go through such things. I've had people tell me that ALL experience is beneficial. One learns and grows from it, they become well rounded. I agree, but there is a limit to what I would want to experience. Why do something wrong just to have the experience of it? IMO

Old 10-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #34
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
correct.the results depend on the parents and the situation.
I would think the biggest factor would be the child, not the parents.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #35
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

you'd be surprised.But bothe the child and the parents can affect the outcome of the homeschooling.
The parent's attitude can really affect things.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #36
Elf Girl
Lurker

I homeschooled, you know. Aren't I qualified to an opinion without a winking 'you'd be surprised'.

Sorry about that. Chemistry homework is making me very tense.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #37
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

oh sorry,I meant nothing by that there.I just was meaning htat how situations are so different for different people,anyone would be surprised by the results.Please don't take it personal.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:39 PM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm homeschooled, and absolutely love it. Every member of my family is doing excellently academically, (my oldest sister is right now in Oxford) and our family life is very close.

Meanwhile, even statistically homeschooling has been proved to work. The majority of homeschoolers does a lot better academically than the majority of people that come from public school. Also the statistics show that people who go through homeschooling generally don't have extra difficulty handling the 'real world' either.

True, things vary from situation to situation. But Sminty_Smeagol, I think that you had a particularly bad circumstance. Look at the statistics, before you form beliefs based upon your personal experience. Certainly your personal experience has given you a glimpse into how homeschooling can be, in a particularly bad circumstance.

I know a group of families that all homeschooled, and all of them are excellent families bringing up wonderful young men and women, with knowledge and care. It's not even close to an even balance between success stories and failures. I think that homeschooling is in general far safer and better in giving good education than is public school.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:18 PM   #39
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I ADORE HOMESCHOOLING more later though seriously i am busy but i want to comment

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:15 AM   #40
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

... And yet again the wonders of home schooling abound .

So that I can go into colledge with one of my older sisters and keep her company (if you will), I'm going to be whizzing through about 2 and a half years of school in one and a half now.

Wish me luck .

Oh well, it was my idea, and it's nice that I can do that because of the home schooling .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote