Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2002, 11:30 PM   #21
Turgon
Hobbit

Isn't a spoiler more like speculation on how TTT will end. Wasn't sure if people wanted to read it, better safe than sorry.

I'm also confused why they're showing Shelob in trailers if Sam and Frodo don't meet her. Or do they end the movie just when they get to the lair (as the trailers show it)??? Ohhh, that would be a good cliff hanger (that ending totally just came to my head). Interesting.

Last edited by Turgon : 12-15-2002 at 11:35 PM.
Turgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:22 AM   #22
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
~ origanally posted by entss89 ~ well all i have to say is im ashamed for the people that just skip around the books!
True! I have a friend who says he won't read the books because he " wants to be suprised bt the movies"

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #23
Curunír
Enting

I have a friend who won't read the books 'cause he's too lazy...
ulle frulle kulle a cup of milk huy!
Curunír is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:50 PM   #24
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

My wife who has read the books many times but not recently, also won't re-read any of the trilogy until after each movie. I tried to tell her to go ahead and read chapter one of TTT because it is the end of the first movie, but she's being persnickety about that, too. She doesn't want to feel that "they got it wrong" feeling. So she read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and The Fellowship this year. Me? I am finding all the spoilers and keeping my mouth shut.

The timeline is going to get botched a little. In the books, the full moon is mentioned once for both plotlines. In Merry and Pippin's plotline, he mentions the full moon when Pippin peeks out of Gandalf's robe AFTER the defeat of Saruman. In Frodo and Sam's plotline, he mentions the full moon at the Forbidden Pool scene. In the Appendices you can find a slight discrepancy about this alignment, but we discussed it on the "books" messageboard and found that it works out the same.

In the movies,
they will line up the Ent's attack on Orthanc with the arrival at Shelob's Lair,
which is a difference of about 5 days. I don't have RotK with me here at work but anyone who does can check the Appendices to get the exact number.

So readers, like my wife, who want to read only as far as the movie went, must stop after Book IV chapter 8. When the title of the next chapter says Shelob's Lair, they should not read further. I think they should also skip the last chapter of Book III and save it for the next read. Because I think RotK will start with:
Pippin looking into the Palantir while Sam and Frodo fight with Shelob.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 12-16-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:27 PM   #25
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Sam Gamgee

hrmm, thats the only thing that kinda bugs me, the moving of Shelob. I understand time and everything, but when I first read it I remember thinking what a fantastic part it was, this big well written cliff hanger when *im assuming everyone has read the books so im not giving anything away but just in case *
Sam finds out Frodo's alive! And then it goes back to the others!

Fantastic. Sam was such a great character! And it totally shines through in that part. I just hope they dont mess it up terribly.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 05:47 PM   #26
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I don't think that the movie will end with Shelob, but it would have been a perfect ending with what happens in "The Choices of Master Samwise." Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait (two more days!) and see.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:35 PM   #27
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I have heard that the movie ended with Helms Deep...

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #28
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
Fantastic. Sam was such a great character! And it totally shines through in that part. I just hope they dont mess it up terribly.
~Celebréiel
I really believe they won't mess up that part, because they've done such a tremendous job with Sam so far. I agree that the cliffhanger, especially Sam's action
throwing himself against the impenetrable doors!
is the unbeatable "to be continued" spot. One of the reasons I decided to check out all the spoilers was because I didn't want to be let down by things like that during the movie.

I think they are expanding the Gollum / Smeagol split personality and making it a central theme of this movie, so the choice of where to put the cliffhanger seems to be part of that.

I happen to believe Samwise is the real hero and I don't expect anyone, especially PJ, to agree with that.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #29
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ërendil
I have heard that the movie ended with Helms Deep...
there is no way they could end the movie with Helms Deep! Oh well, I guess we'll find out in nine hours

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote