Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #21
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Yeah I sure hope they dont dig up the Alaska national parks because some people would rather destroy natural resources so that they can happily drive their SUV's and hummers around town and still pay next to nothing at the station. Its truly sad and terribly short sighted thinking. I heard somewhere that if we were to use EVERY single resource we currently have in this country and cut our ties with OPEC and any foreign oil sources that we would run out of oil in less then a year! Now is that worth digging up ancient forests and wild life sanctuaries. I think not.

Ive heard a LOT of bitching about who is making out like bandits since these price increases and therefore whose fault it must be. Everyone blames OPEC and the oil refinery companies and the resellers and the stations but they never seem to look in the damn mirror at all. As long as we insist on being able to consume oil way beyond the rate at which we really need it, then we ultimately (and collectively --- I dont want to hear any DONT BLAME ME crap thanks) are responsible for what we are seeing today. Because in the end we control the market place. Not anyone else. Perhaps the only way to push people grudgingly away from their double standard norm is to make gas so costly that it takes us there kicking and screaming. Someone told me we may see $3 a gallon this year. Think that will do it?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:58 PM   #22
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Yeah I sure hope they dont dig up the Alaska national parks because some people would rather destroy natural resources so that they can happily drive their SUV's and hummers around town and still pay next to nothing at the station. Its truly sad and terribly short sighted thinking. I heard somewhere that if we were to use EVERY single resource we currently have in this country and cut our ties with OPEC and any foreign oil sources that we would run out of oil in less then a year! Now is that worth digging up ancient forests and wild life sanctuaries. I think not.

Ive heard a LOT of bitching about who is making out like bandits since these price increases and therefore whose fault it must be. Everyone blames OPEC and the oil refinery companies and the resellers and the stations but they never seem to look in the damn mirror at all. As long as we insist on being able to consume oil way beyond the rate at which we really need it, then we ultimately (and collectively --- I dont want to hear any DONT BLAME ME crap thanks) are responsible for what we are seeing today. Because in the end we control the market place. Not anyone else. Perhaps the only way to push people grudgingly away from their double standard norm is to make gas so costly that it takes us there kicking and screaming. Someone told me we may see $3 a gallon this year. Think that will do it?
Gas fuel is now about $1.759 for regular gasoline.

I have seen diesel about $1.609-$1.679. I will need to see how things are when I fill up again.
(It is nice to be able to go 600-700 miles [960-1120 km] between fillups.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #23
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I agree with you there, IRex. The real costs of fossil fuels are not included in the price.

Not even here in the UK, where it's now over 80p a litre, which is £4.40 a gallon or (wait for it) $7.80!! About 80% of that is tax.

The problem is what's the alternative, particularly if public transport is not good where you live.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #24
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Not even here in the UK, where it's now over 80p a litre, which is £4.40 a gallon or (wait for it) $7.80!! About 80% of that is tax.
good lord! that would NEVER stand here in the states. There would be a small revolution before it even got half that high. Washington would be stormed by irrate pitch fork weilding SUV driving oil eaters.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #25
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
good lord! that would NEVER stand here in the states. There would be a small revolution before it even got half that high. Washington would be stormed by irrate pitch fork weilding SUV driving oil eaters.
haha, that's a funny image, IRex. And no, I'm not going to argue that we should start drilling in the Alaska wilderness. Mostly I'm just frustrated at the gas prices right now, and hte fact that there isn't anything I can do to change how much I'm on the road. I'll be finished with school at the end of the month, and I've already given notice at work. But in the meantime, I'm stuck driving back and forth .

Anyway...

Companies like BP are putting millions into alternative energy research as well--mainly because they know that as more people make the switch away from traditional cars, they'll need to have their finger in that pie if they're going to keep making money.

As far as gas prices...Yeah...I'm pretty sure it'll make it over three dollars per gallon here.

btw, last week, I had to put in a few litres up in Canada in order to make it back across the border, at it was .97/litre -- about $3.10 USD/gallon, if I've done the conversions right.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #26
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
As long as we insist on being able to consume oil way beyond the rate at which we really need it, then we ultimately (and collectively --- I dont want to hear any DONT BLAME ME crap thanks) are responsible for what we are seeing today.
Hear! Hear! More money needs to go into Public Transportation though, in order to actively encourage people into using buses, and trains instead of cars. Also, with the fat epidemic, it might be worth considering investing in a bicycle, or walking.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #27
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hear! Hear! More money needs to go into Public Transportation though, in order to actively encourage people into using buses, and trains instead of cars. Also, with the fat epidemic, it might be worth considering investing in a bicycle, or walking.
The buses aren't going to be of any help if they're spewing out black, nasty fumes into our atmosphere... these buses need to be converted so that they run cleaner as well.

Cities are so spaced out that buses take over 2 hours (or more) to get from one place to another with all the stops. I really think that with the way development and homes are being built so that they spread out past the city's borders that we should focus on changing the fuel/resources we currently use... convincing people to sit on a bus for 2 or 3 hours to get to work and then another 2 or 3 hours to get home each work day isn't going to be as successful in making a permanent change.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #28
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I have an SUV (for the purposes I mentioned), but sorry... no pitch fork.

Trust me when I say... I looked at all the possible high clearance vehicles that would hold a kayak without compromising safety... there weren't that many choices. At least I had a 6 cylinder option... and I've never had trouble climbing any rocky path with my 6 cylinder.

So, all those soccer moms and dads with 4-wheel drives need to rethink their choices... why do you have your SUV? What do you use it for? If you have a good reason for it, ok... but if it's just to pick up a few kids and throw soccer equipment in the back... hell, a station wagon could do the same.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:28 PM   #29
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

you think the soccer moms are bad. how bout the jackasses who insist on driving monster SUVs to the grocery store, to work, to starbucks, to bars, in highway traffic, just so they can feel better about being 8 feet above everyone else and show off their $1500 rims. you think they give one crap about natural resources at all? No. But I guess its the same attitude that allows them to take up 2 spaces every time they park without feeling bad about it. Navigator syndrome...

Old 05-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #30
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

There was some statistic bandied around a few years ago that 95% of off-road vehicles never go off-road.

Maybe there should be a "tadger tax" for wasteful items that are acquired solely for the purpose of making inadequately endowed males feel bigger.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:51 AM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Maybe there should be a "tadger tax" for wasteful items that are acquired solely for the purpose of making inadequately endowed males feel bigger.
Does that include extra-large condoms? [/innane comment]
Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 AM   #32
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nah, they'd make big people feel smaller. Unless they make 'em all the same size anyway and just put a different label on the package.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #33
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I have an SUV (for the purposes I mentioned), but sorry... no pitch fork.

Trust me when I say... I looked at all the possible high clearance vehicles that would hold a kayak without compromising safety... there weren't that many choices. At least I had a 6 cylinder option... and I've never had trouble climbing any rocky path with my 6 cylinder.

So, all those soccer moms and dads with 4-wheel drives need to rethink their choices... why do you have your SUV? What do you use it for? If you have a good reason for it, ok... but if it's just to pick up a few kids and throw soccer equipment in the back... hell, a station wagon could do the same.
At least you have a reason for driving an SUV. As you say, most people just want them so they can pack up the kids and the groceries after a trip to Sam's Club.

I drive a Chrysler PT Cruiser -- a 4 cylinder (without the turbo-charger option). The mileage is good, approx. 22 - 24 mpg city driving (not as good as my Toyota Corrolla, but that car had so much wrong with it that it negated any savings on gas -- what a piece of garbage!!!). The PT also has better visibility than the Corrolla and is way more fun to drive!!

I managed to find gas at 1.88/gal this past Sunday, but I have a feeling that was the last time I'll be paying under $2.00 for gas for a long time...

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #34
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Read the back posts and weep!

Current price in Taiwan- NT$38/ liter

US $4.80 (US gal)= 63p/liter(sterling) = euro0.79 liter
(Sorry, BoP, too lazy to do NZ$ )

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #35
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yeah, I know; it's ridiculous! Look at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tinuveil View Post
It cost 28 dollars to filll up the gas tank in our ford, & That is too much.
It is usually under 20$, & now I cannot go anywhere, or even go for a drive, because all the gas is waisted on getting to another gas station.
I just dont have the money to waste.
The last time I went in to town, It was 2.88 dollars a gallon.
(& thats at the cheapest station!)

Not quite 4.80 in my area, around 4.60, but still...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
Nautipus
Kraken King

It's still around 3.78 here, thank goodness. I'm lookin at buying a bike, though. Long drive, but if I cant afford it in the future...

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #37
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah, next time I buy a car, my main point of interest will be gas mileage.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #38
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Read the back posts and weep!

Current price in Taiwan- NT$38/ liter

US $4.80 (US gal)= 63p/liter(sterling) = euro0.79 liter
(Sorry, BoP, too lazy to do NZ$ )
Lightweights.

Current UK price £1.20 per litre. That's $2.40 a litre, or > $8 per US gallon.

Now THAT'S what you call a petrol price.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #39
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
It's still around 3.78 here, thank goodness. I'm lookin at buying a bike, though. Long drive, but if I cant afford it in the future...
Something tells me a number of us are soon going to be getting poorer and healthier.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem

If only. Unfortunately, I live about six miles away from the nearest town, and about twenty miles away from the nearest town with more things to go to than a grocery store, a crap theater, a couple crap bars, and tons of Mexican restaurants. Unfortunately, I don't like Mexican. I do like the margarita happy-hour at one of the restaurants, though; a litre of margarita for six bucks, woohoo!

Anyway, twenty miles away from the nearest decent town, so walking isn't really an option for me... I miss public transporation.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle