Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 07:54 AM   #361
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Is it the Noblest of Men?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:40 PM   #362
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
*entertains herself with mental images of Dúnedain in tights*

Well there's an interesting image.

Just be careful BoP doesn't swipe them aswell.

Ahum... as for the question: the Fathers of Men perhaps?
Yup you are correct

BoP is tricksey!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #363
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You better hang on on those tights mister.

From which house are the Stewards of Gondor descended?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #364
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Lessee... is it 'House of Mardil'? I know he was a chief steward early on - but forget if the house was named for him or someone earlier.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:16 AM   #365
Earniel

Nope, not the name I was looking for.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 AM   #366
macmico
Hobbit

is it the house of hurin?
Old 12-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #367
Earniel

Indeed it is, macmico. Your turn.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #368
macmico
Hobbit

who was the 19th stewart of gondor
Old 12-27-2003, 04:42 PM   #369
Valandil

Theoden

Ecthellion?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:51 PM   #370
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Beren. (after checking obviously... I didn't even know Gondor had a 'Beren' steward)

Echtellion was the 17th.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:29 AM   #371
macmico
Hobbit

your go rad. happy i could get you checking
Old 12-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #372
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Who is the only female dwarf that her name is mentioned in "these histories"?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM   #373
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Who is the only female dwarf that her name is mentioned in "these histories"?
Oh - it's Thorin's sister... is her name 'Dis'?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:19 PM   #374
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yes! your turn, king of Arnor!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #375
Valandil

Theoden

OK - this isn't found in any single part of the appendices, but can be put together from different passages:

How many 'white trees' do we know of, that are associated with the Numenoreans? (either in Numenor or on Middle Earth)

And... so this doesn't become just a number-guessing game, tell me a thing or two about each tree. In every case, we are told at least two of the following: where it was planted, who planted it, when it was planted, what the end of it was...
Old 12-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #376
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Three?

The white tree of Numenore - Nimloth. Brought as a gift fromm the Eldar of Tol Eresea to Numenmore. (from Galthalion sp.)

the white tree in Minas Ithil (of Gondor) - was taken from Nimloth by Isildor and planted in Minas Ithil.

of Minas Tirith - was taken from the white tree in Minas Ithil, brought to Minas Tirith by Isildor.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:50 PM   #377
Valandil

Theoden

Good try, but not correct... that's not all of them!
Old 12-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #378
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

He's close, but I think he is forgetting the sapling that Aragorn found on Mt. Mindolluin. It was the sapling of the line of Nimloth, a seedling of Galathilion and a fruit of Telperion. I'm not sure who planted it, but I think it was Isildur who did...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-31-2003, 03:16 PM   #379
Valandil

Theoden

That sapling Aragorn found and planted was another one I wanted... but that's not all. Still more!
Old 12-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #380
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What about the White Tree called Celeborn. That one hasn't been mentioned. That is the tree of Tol Eressëa. It came from Galathilion, which stood in Tirion. Celeborn's descendant was Nimloth, which stood in Armenelos. A fruit of Nimloth was taken by Isildur and planted in Minas Ithil and later in Minas Tirith. A fruit was planted also in Mt. Mindolluin, which was later the sapling that Aragorn found...

Btw, Telperion was destroyed in Valinor, but an image of it was made which was Galathilion. One of Telperion's flowers lived and the Valar set it up, which became the Moon...

--Linaewen
Closed Thread