Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #361
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
and what is "american" again? just remind me i seem to have forgotten. Oh and how are immigrants taking away our culture?

and that last sentence reminds me of the joke about the bigot who gets upset at a hispanic for speaking spanish around him and demands he "learn to speak american damit! Its this lands native language! learn it or get out!" and the guy next to him says "hmm doesnt sounds like you dont know much cherokee either." which leads me back to my first question again: what is an american?
An American is anyone who was born a citizen or becomes a citizen of the United States. I also consider all the non-citizens who are currently in Iraq who are waiting for their citizenship to go through as citizens.

Many people complain about America - then just use it as a stopping off point until they can go back home. While here - they complain about everything American.

I have no problem with anyone who immigrates to the US - but i can not stand it when I hear people who come here and then constantly complain about our culture. I have heard it TOO many times from people. Those immigrants - if they don't like it can leave. As for speaking a foreign language - fine - just as long as they make an effort to speak English.

And we accept a lot of cultures. Cingo de Mayo is basically a new American Holiday too - just like St Patricks Day and other "immigrant" holidays. We as a country embrace the foreign cultures - but they can not expect Americans to just stop waving the flag because they don't like it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-24-2003 at 10:52 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #362
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
The GC does not protect the prisoners in Cuba. As for the shackles - how would you transport prisoners? They're not whipped - they're not starved, they don't have guns down their throats.
Simple...you either arrest them as POW (and treat them under the Geneva convention) or you try them as criminals (and treat them as normal criminals) or you release them....it's that simple

Quote:
Has amnesty international ever petitioned for our soldiers??? Even though we treat captives humanely - even without the GC - yet the same is never given to our soldiers. Look at Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf Wat - in none of those cases were our soldiers threated humanely.
Amnesty International has fought for the release of prisoners in all of those situations you mentioned above......and in countless situations that the US was not involved in...AI is by no means a counterfoil for all the injustice as regards to war in the world...but when it see's injustice towards people it does act. They are not the villains here.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #363
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
IR--You confuse me to no end
oh this is nothing Aeryn. I can get much more confusing.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:56 PM   #364
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Simple...you either arrest them as POW (and treat them under the Geneva convention) or you try them as criminals (and treat them as normal criminals) or you release them....it's that simple
They're currently being interegated.
Quote:

Amnesty International has fought for the release of prisoners in all of those situations you mentioned above......and in countless situations that the US was not involved in...AI is by no means a counterfoil for all the injustice as regards to war in the world...but when it see's injustice towards people it does act. They are not the villains here.
yeah - most of the international organisations point the finger at the US - and everyone complains about the US - but the true villians in the world like Hussein get away scott free.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2003, 10:56 PM   #365
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Please don't, I can't handle that even with enough sleep...

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:57 PM   #366
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Many people complain about America - then just use it as a stopping off point until they can go back home. While here - they complain about everything American.

I have no problem with anyone who immigrates to the US - but i can not stand it when I hear people who come here and then constantly complain about our culture. I have heard it TOO many times from people. Those immigrants - if they don't like it can leave.
ok and do you put non-immigrant americans who do this in the same category? All you have to do is turn on the tv or listen in to your average conversation at the water cooler at work to hear plenty of culture complaining. Its stylish in some circles in fact. And these arent foreign looking types with bad accents. These are "normal looking" americans. Like all those pretentious do gooder speach making actors that you all were talking about earlier. do they fall under the "if you dont like it go back to where you came from" argument?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:03 PM   #367
jerseydevil

Quote:
ok and do you put non-immigrant americans who do this in the same category? All you have to do is turn on the tv or listen in to your average conversation at the water cooler at work to hear plenty of culture complaining. Its stylish in some circles in fact. And these arent foreign looking types with bad accents. These are "normal looking" americans. Like all those pretentious do gooder speach making actors that you all were talking about earlier. do they fall under the "if you dont like it go back to where you came from" argument?
They were talking about the war and the government. I'm talking about people who get upset because someone hung a flag outside their house. Two VERY different things.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2003, 11:04 PM   #368
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
They're currently being interegated.
For 18 months 18 months that is nine months more than breaks every international law......except the US law that is....held under conditions that break the law of every country except the US??

Quote:
yeah - most of the international organisations point the finger at the US - and everyone complains about the US - but the true villians in the world like Hussein get away scott free.
No they don't .....they are pointing the finger at the US in this specific stituation, that was the point of my post......I'm sure AI (who have a massive voice in the US) are fighting for the rights of the US prisoners in Iraq as well, as they should.

Like I said before....you reap what you sow

Beatallica
Old 03-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #369
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quote:
...yes?!?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:13 PM   #370
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
...yes?!?
are you confused again Aeryn?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:13 PM   #371
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Like I said before....you reap what you sow

I'm glad you think that we deserve what ever we get from Iraq.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #372
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I'm glad you think that we deserve what ever we get from Iraq.
Sorry but I never once mentioned Iraq in my recent posts

Don't complain if the Iraq' people break international law when the US is doing it itself........there is nothing wrong with segrating the US from international law......your country is in a position of power to do that. But don't you think it is hypocritical to expect other country's to stick to the law when you don't?

Beatallica
Old 03-24-2003, 11:20 PM   #373
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Along with everyone else outside of the US...personally, I don't understand it; I've never had anything against any culture or nation. *sigh*

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #374
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quote:
are you confused again Aeryn?
*nervous* *licks lips compulsively* *twists hands*

Erm...*deep calming breath* Yes! No! I mean no! Yes! No I mean yes I mean no! Yes! No!! *pants* *faints*

Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM   #375
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't know. Am I confused?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:26 PM   #376
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
They were talking about the war and the government. I'm talking about people who get upset because someone hung a flag outside their house. Two VERY different things.
that reminds me of something. somebody sued because their neighbor's American flag was flapping too loud.

What bugs me is that people who come to America and plan to stay here for the rest of thier lives don't bother to learn English. There was an Army commericial for the US army in SPANISH!! that makes me mad.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:55 PM   #377
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Drink another one.
OMG! LOL!!! I love you SGH!! HAHA!! Good Game coney, now take a seat.....

LMAO
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #378
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

*confused, confused*

Old 03-25-2003, 12:01 AM   #379
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Not deleted, but edited for sure. -- Khamûl
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-25-2003, 12:03 AM   #380
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Elven Archer
that reminds me of something. somebody sued because their neighbor's American flag was flapping too loud.

What bugs me is that people who come to America and plan to stay here for the rest of thier lives don't bother to learn English. There was an Army commericial for the US army in SPANISH!! that makes me mad.
Speaking of spanish, the thing that bugs me is around here in DC all the ATM Machines have the option for language to use, English or Spanish. Now, last time I checked the adopted language is English here in the States, did I miss something?

--Linaewen