Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #361
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Telperion: To do the "gray-out" thingy, "spoiler" it: [spoiler ] Like this [/spoiler ]

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #362
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, Entmoot seems to have settled down (I guess there was a problem with a database somewhere) so I'll answer some posts.

Thanks, TC, for the compliment! *blushes* And right now, the preceded-by-nasal-thingie and I are not on speaking terms - I'm frustrated with it because I can't get it to look nice Are you having any luck with it? Yeah, I don't like using carriers either, but sometimes you can't help it - I write 'you' typically 'y' then 'u' over a short carrier. I write 'may' usually as 'm', 'a' over short carrier, 'y' over short carrier. 'you' is ok, but I'm not really happy with 'may'.

Cass - good for you translating!! Just keep writing, and you'll get even better! What a drag to have to wait until the 26th! I wonder why - it's not like they couldn't just make some more copies of it Let us know if you have more trouble attaching things - we went thru the whole painful ordeal a while back and are now experts at it...

Ms. U - here's what I got:
me too! I even have tickets to the midnight showing! I kan hardly wait!

Just a couple notes (ignore if you're not interested...) -

1. you need a carrier for the 2 o's in 'too';
2. for 'even', the second 'e' mark would typically go over the 'n';
3. for 'have', since the 'e' is a final silent 'e', you would usually put a dot under the 'v';
4. for 'tickets', you should probably take out the 's', because the 'c' is voiced as a 'k', not an 's' - it should be 'tikets';
5. for 'to', you need a carrier for the 'o';
6. good for you for remembering the shortcut symbol for 'the'!;
7. for 'showing', you could have used #11 for 'sh', and you need a carrier for the 'o'; and you can use #19 or 20 for 'ng' at the end.

Good for you making your first attachment here!! It's coming along great! Are you still working on Quenya, too? That's beyond me!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-13-2002, 09:26 PM   #363
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, Telperion, I shot in high school and college (in PE classes) and loved it, and my son and I started shooting in February of this year when we found a local place to shoot at. In the U.S., they have something called JOAD (junior olympic archery development) and you can find places to shoot thru their website. On Saturdays, it's open to the public, and for $3 they'll give you all the equipment you need and help you out (at least at our place). Our particular place has people that shot with the U.S. gold medalist (1996?), and there are several people there that will be in the Olympic trials next year. Not me of course! But I really love it, it's so fun! It looks like you're in Canada - maybe you have a similar program.

I met Ms. U last week at archery and she shot for the first time and did great! She takes ballet, and I think that helps with arm strength, balance, etc. I loved the headband she was wearing, too - it looked like some elves from Lorien made it! (I told you that, didn't I, Ms. U?) Really pretty - silvery and kind of curly (what's the word I want - filigree?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-13-2002, 09:55 PM   #364
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Eh, it looks like RÃ*an got to my 'notes' first; it's coming along nicely, though, Ms. U! Speaking of Quenya...I spent my last period study today translating "May it Be" into Quenya. Rather difficult. Eh, well. I want to take archery, but I can't get all the way out to Dedham! Grr.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:45 PM   #365
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Thank you for the advice Rian! Yes, I am still working on Quenya. Thanks for the complement on my headband; LOL! I am hoping to be at archery one week from tomorrow, and I am going to bring my Aunt with me, and I will be able to tell you all about TTT, and how good and how bad it was! I wrote some really neat looking tengwar tonight; I used a paint brush, and acrylic paint. Very interesing looking.
I will try to post it later.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 12-14-2002, 01:25 PM   #366
Rían

I'm looking forward to your attachments, Cassiopeia and Ms. U

Here's what I wrote for Katya's birthday (now that Entmoot is working again and I won't lose the post):

Happy bday again, Katya!
Attached Images
File Type: gif katya-gif.gif (6.0 KB, 26 views)

Old 12-14-2002, 07:19 PM   #367
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Wheee, your Tengwar is so pretty, RÃ*an! Except for some of the places with the double consonants, where it sorta scrunches up, it flows so beautifully, with all sorts of nice curls on the ends of letters...

I wish you a very happy fifteenth birthday, Katya! Sincerely, RÃ*an

Oh, I just noticed; you forgot the comma after "birthday".

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #368
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Wow, you guys are amazing. I tried learning Tengwar and I just couldn't!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:41 PM   #369
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lollypopgurl
Wow, you guys are amazing. I tried learning Tengwar and I just couldn't!
Aaahhhh! You said the "c" word! (can't/couldn't) You always can; it might be difficult, but you can.

(That's the lecture we always get from my ballet teacher)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:30 AM   #370
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Ok, I'm going to try again to post my file. If it doesn't work, someone better PM me and explain how to do it. If it is too small to read, I usually save it then open it and enlarge the text. Rian, I could read you message to Katya without my cheat sheet, albeit slowly.
Attached Images
File Type: gif teng.gif (9.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-15-2002, 03:08 AM   #371
Rían

Here it is:
I am a Vigoholic! ha ha! love, Cass

Funny, Cass! I like him, too, BTW! I think men with dark hair are more attractive than blondies (sorry, blonde guys out there! I'm sure there are plenty of ladies that will like you, though )

Congrats on your reading - good for you! Are you writing more quickly now?

Now how did you write that? In a paint program or something?

Last edited by Rían : 12-15-2002 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:15 AM   #372
Rían

Hi, Lollypopgurl! Why don't you give it another try? Read back through the thread a bit and we give some helpful ways to memorize the letters. It's really very enjoyable, and a fun way to feel "Middle-Earthy". Let me know if you want to try, and I'd be glad to help you (your avatar is very cute, BTW!)

Old 12-15-2002, 10:52 PM   #373
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I download some Tengwar, then copied and pasted it into microsoft paint. Then I had to change it into a gif file, so it took a while to do, thats why its so short!

Last edited by cassiopeia : 12-15-2002 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 PM   #374
katya
Elven Maiden

RÃ*an!!!! hi!! sorry i havent been on in like ever. thanks for that birthday attachment that was really really pretty. and in response to something you said earlier, i like dark haired guys better too. in fact i just started going out with one. yay. well anyway thats about all. this wednesday at my school is lord of the rings day. isnt that great? i should write all my papers in tengwar and say i was showing school spirit.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:27 PM   #375
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh. My. Eru.

Anyone seen that LotR:TTT poster with Saruman's back? At least, it looks like Saruman; the long, flowing white hair and the evil-looking staff....anyways, it's got the typical Ring script around him, and just for fun, I was reading it the other day. Well! The bit I saw translated to:

Azh nazg durbatuluk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Missing a few lines!

[edit: <------post 1800!]

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #376
katya
Elven Maiden

oh by the way Tinuviel Child: I think it was you who asked about alternate ways to write "you", since you didn't like the carriers? I don't really liek them either. I usually write the consonant "y", then the "u" over a "w". There is sort of a "w" sound at the end. I guess that might work with ending "e" sounds too only with a consonant "y" at the end.

In other news, I just got another friend interested in learning. He hasn't read the books yet, but asks my friend about it all the time, and I think he might eventually read them. I hope he doesn't have problems.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:23 PM   #377
Telperion
Enting

Hi again! I'm still working on my tengwar and I have most of it memorized. I just had a question to ask:
If you are writing a word like "believe," would you spell it "beeleeve" with the last "e" being silent or would you spell it, "believe," and hope that people realized that it was believe and not beh - eye- leve? Iknow that someone here will be able to help me out.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:24 PM   #378
Rían

Hmmm, that's a good one - and that's part of the fun of Tengwar, at least for me - it's unique to different people, but we can all read each other's writing.

My first thought is that I would write it as follows: b, double-e over l, i over a carrier, e over a v with a silent e dot underneath. If a word is rather confusing-looking when written phonetically, I tend to lean a bit more towards actual spelling.

Other opinions, fellow Tengwar writers?

Old 12-17-2002, 10:45 PM   #379
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I would agree with Rian. I prefer they way it is spelt, rather than how it sounds. It becomes to confusing otherwise. I like the silent e dot, I would definately put that in. If you were going to spell it how it sounds, I would have b, e over the l, two e's over the v and a silent e dot beneath the v. I would use a single e dot over the l because I say be-leeve, not bee-leeve.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 12-17-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:59 PM   #380
Rían

Merry Christmas, Tengwar Writers!
Attached Images
File Type: gif mrychr-gif.gif (8.9 KB, 23 views)

Closed Thread