Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #361
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

An inquiry, the Avari in the First Age, were they as far east as Dorwinion, or were any of them still remaining further in the east even than that? When the displaced of former Beleriand came to the old east that was now the new west (Eriador) and some came to Greenwood the Great, did the Avari move even further east to make room? I hear different tales of this, that a lot of the Avari were in Dorwinion, and that some stayed in the Wild Wood, around the area that Cuivienen once was. It sounds like everyone was really scattered all over the continent, inter-mingling happening a lot more than is chronicled (between Elves and Men, Men and Dwarves, and even more strangely, Elves and Dwarves, wow that would be quite interesting to say the least). Some of the Avari were in the far east (and I mean far East, Middle Earth was more huge than it appeared at first glance, the northwest where most of the war went on was just a fraction) and then some of the Avari were in Dorwinion, and some of the Nandor ended up there as well and the Nandor and some of the Avari mingled (quite a reunion).

To me though, the term Avari is offensive, and are usually known by one of their several tribe names, those names being Cuind, Kindi, Hwenti, Kinn-lai, Penni, Windan, and so on. Where those different tribes are scattered, who knows. Unwilling to leave, not unwilling to stay. Despite the evil and mortality in Middle Earth, the land is a gift, so why leave that gift behind if you don't really have to? If I had a choice of where to go, I'd stay somewhere in the East. The others didn't like their decision, but it wasn't their decision to make. If Orome didn't like it he would have struck them down. But Valinor does have much more spectacular things to see. The "Avari" wanted a challenge and stayed. Who knows what kind of cities they built or how crafty they were, despite what others say of them. Eol was of the Avari but he was just one bad example.

I think it's definite that some of them lived in Dorwinion, but it is definite that some of the Nandor lived there too. Thranduil had wine carried from Dorwinion to Mirkwood frequently (underground alcohol distribution LoL, Thranduil doesn't like prohibition).

About a random humor scene, Thranduil could be drunk during one of those scenes, after we get back from the journey (if we do). Thranduil seems like the kind of person who would get blotto a lot.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #362
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

From Tabrîl's point of view, 'Avari' is a Calaquendi insult referring only to those who never actually began the journey, not those who started and didn't finish. So she doesn't like it.

That's not to say that others don't use the term with slightly different meaning, though!

*is also having great fun with this*

Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #363
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

hi all. busy busy day ahead of me so ill bring nami back in tonight, then ill talk to Aelfwine about being scaried of the dark! Im wondering why Abasi hasn't taken this opportunatity get have a go at Nami! What with their past arguement!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #364
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Curufin, you're mixing up the player with the character. Haldis, not Willow.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #365
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Argh,and I knew that too. *dies* I was thinking Haldis.

Argh.

It's this paper I have to write today...it's warping my mind...

*goes to fix*

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #366
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Papers do that. It's an easy mistake, and I often have played Willow as a character.

Haldis is going to keep needling him though, both intentionally and inadverdantly. Fortunately she's used to tempremental males, her closest neighbors include Radagast, Grimbeorn and Thranduil after all... Anyway, she knows he can't hurt her without besmirching his honor.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #367
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, if all Avari are that easily offended, no wonder they were left behind at Cuivienen!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #368
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

A good point. Perhaps they were left behind because they didn't believe the Valar when they said "the crop circles are just swamp gas reflected off of Venus yadda yadda". Hence, not unwilling to go to Valinor, unwilling to believe everything 'the government' said.

I'll post a little something in 3L (Long Lost Leaves) soon, just gotta figure out what.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #369
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

oh no nami didn't want Aelfwine to go away she likes you! come back! lol

i could always have nami teach you and ellysa elven! not that i know any elven in real life but still!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #370
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

double post i know but still!

first off i retract the challage made earlier that nami and Abasi will be friends. You've made it too hard! lol

second just so i know whats going on. or the two elven groups having a bit of crossed wires? Nami does not hate or look down on Abasi or Tabrîl. She thinks they look down on her, which i think so true! Am i on the right lines or have i make Nami sound nasty, cause she's not really!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #371
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl, having not spoken to Nami yet (I don't think, anyway!) has no particular opinion, except that Nami isn't one of her people and so is probably going to be very odd and difficult to understand.

And of course Tabrîl thinks her customs are better than everyone else's. Why wouldn't she?

I don't think Nami has been too nasty, don't worry. A little tension is fun!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #372
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol no we have not been introduced but Nami and Abasi have a slight history of her wanting to kill him! When
Tabrîl first turned up Nami was trying not convines everyone one to go underground. Oh but she did call you a random elf!
Im liking the tension too! so like real life when wires are crossed you can get in all kinds of trouble!

Nami will be saying hi sooner or later, hopefully not when Nami is anywhere near a big dark hole cause she'll cry at you!

Last edited by feawen : 05-02-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #373
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

The post I just wrote for Haldis is supposed to take place over the course of the entire evening and late into the night. So don't worry if the time overlap reads a little weirdly, just assume that during your posts, she's off on the edge of the camp being mysterious and ignored.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-03-2008, 05:16 AM   #374
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Tabrîl was going to be very upset when she woke up.
...understatement of the century?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #375
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Possibly of the millenia.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #376
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
oh no nami didn't want Aelfwine to go away she likes you! come back! lol

i could always have nami teach you and ellysa elven! not that i know any elven in real life but still!
I'm all for that. Aelfwine really doesn't understand the elven ways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
...understatement of the century?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
Possibly of the millenia.
This should be fun

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 05-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #377
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Couldn't resist skipping forward to the morning for that last post - anyone who has more to post for the previous night, please do go ahead!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #378
Mari
Elf Lady

Oops, cross-post.
I edited it.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #379
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Likewise - sorry, Willow, didn't mean to ignore Haldis!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #380
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It's all good. I'm curious to see what the Game is. So is Haldis, but she's waiting to be properly chastised by Radagast.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread