Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #361
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*tucks Mari back in and hands her some ear plugs*

Sigh, there goes another Sunday, just got a rather pretentious letter detailing I have been 'honoured' to spend my time as back-up to man the voting station for the election next month.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #362
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
*stuffs a sock in his mouth*

Hiya!
It had to be a filthy sock?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #363
Earniel

What do you expect on laundry day?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #364
Pip
Elven Warrior

I haven't been busy with finals, just other stuff. Come to think of it I didn't really have any finals. I got some good news today. Even though bill 1010 didn't get the incentive part past (it would have given film incentives to filmmakers in Colorado) the film coalition now may have more influence with the government which will help the industry and as a result the state. Excuse me while I speak film student.
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #365
Blackheart
Elf Lord

*rolls over fitfully*

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #366
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

*pops in for a quick cup of tea*

I started teaching properly this week. I love my class so much, they're all very sweet and they try so hard to learn. Most of the time. Four year olds don't have the best attention span - but I can see progress already!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #367
Mari
Elf Lady

*wakes up and unplugs her ears* Thanks Earn. I could use a good long sleep.
Manning the voting boot? How come you have to do that? Is it random choosing?

Aika, hehe, no, indeed they don't.
I'm glad you are enjoying it! What sort of things are you doing with the kids?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 05-09-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #368
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Well, they know letters and numbers, so I'm trying to build up to some simple addition and spelling short words - that's the main focus of learning, but we have plenty of games, singing and storytelling as well! I think it's important at their age for 'schoolwork' to be blended in with varied activities - they're less bored and more eager to learn that way!

The school doesn't have much in the way of resources, so I'm quite limited in what i can actually do - I'm trying to find ways to be inventive, though! As long as the kids are learning, and enjoying doing so, then all is good.

See you all next week!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #369
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Manning the voting boot? How come you have to do that? Is it random choosing?
People get randomly picked from the community records to man the boots. Old folk and self-employed people among others get automatically exempted. I'm a replacement so with a bit of luck, they won't even need me. Although, most people really dislike having to do this, and many don't show up. There's always a long hassle afterwards all over the news because people can get called to court and fined (theoretically even jailed if I recall correctly) if they refuse the summons and don't turn up 'to do their duty'.

Don't people get drafted for this in the Netherlands?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #370
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
...There's always a long hassle afterwards all over the news because people can get called to court and fined (theoretically even jailed if I recall correctly) if they refuse the summons and don't turn up 'to do their duty'.
Can't wait to see what happens when you are the one who has to be summoned to court and put in jail .

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #371
Mari
Elf Lady

Eärniel, no, not that I know off. Most of those people are volunteers, often (retired) people who used to be active for their political parties. The people I've seen were usually over 50 in any case.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #372
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Can't wait to see what happens when you are the one who has to be summoned to court and put in jail .
Will they give her Internet access in her cell, so she can go on Entmoot as usual - perhaps have even more time for it than she has now?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #373
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Will they give her Internet access in her cell, so she can go on Entmoot as usual - perhaps have even more time for it than she has now?
Oh I'm sure, in addition to overfeeding her on pizza and cake . I heard they still execute political prisoners on Belgium. Death by Frogs? Something along those lines...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #374
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Your sympathy is truly heartwarming. I'll think I'll provide Sane with some more dirty socks in the likely events you have to be shut up again.

But don't count on me going to jail anytime soon. Jails are ful anyway, that's why they're trying to 'rent' cell space in Dutch prisons. I'll probably be fined, then get told I don't have to pay because the politicians and courts can't agree what to do with absentees, then likely get told I have to pay MOAR or something and then have the thing start all over again. Good solid Belgian practises and all. (Me, bitter? Naaaah! Whatever gave you that idea?)

Quote:
Eärniel, no, not that I know off. Most of those people are volunteers, often (retired) people who used to be active for their political parties. The people I've seen were usually over 50 in any case.
Amazing. People actually volunteer for it? I suppose volunteering is off limits with us so nobody can use it to influence voters in a last ditch effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Hm, I don't think that's a good thing. My moot-time is excessive enough as it is. What I would be free of, though, (and would love being so) is that lousy head office to whom we keep sending error reports that they'll just disregard anyway while still singing their own praise. That last loooong list of errors has seriously killed my RPG-writing time. >.<
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #375
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
But don't count on me going to jail anytime soon. Jails are ful anyway, that's why they're trying to 'rent' cell space in Dutch prisons.
They do? But we get told constantly that our prisons are full too! Last thing I've heard is that prisoners now have to share a cell. Which of course gave rise to a lot of debate because it was against the privacy of the prisoners, not safe (you can plot better when together I suppose), etc. etc.

Quote:
Amazing. People actually volunteer for it? I suppose volunteering is off limits with us so nobody can use it to influence voters in a last ditch effort.
As far as I know, it's illegal to try and do that, so I doubt it happens much. In my experience though, they just check your ID wave you over to the boot where you can vote electronically on a touchscreen and off you go again. Not much chance for a chat.

I bought a computer knee table for my birthday and it's really handy so far. All I need to do now is decide who will give this to me
I'm celebrating my birthday on May 31st, the same day I'm going to do my Confirmation in church (2 birds, 1 stone) and you're all invited

Old 05-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #376
Earniel

Quote:
They do? But we get told constantly that our prisons are full too! Last thing I've heard is that prisoners now have to share a cell. Which of course gave rise to a lot of debate because it was against the privacy of the prisoners, not safe (you can plot better when together I suppose), etc. etc.
Really? How typical. Of course, we'd have to pay considerably to stuff our prisoners in your cells, but last time I heard they were indeed definitely progressing in that direction. And maybe, considering I heard people here sometimes have to share cells even with two people, I suppose yours are empty by comparison? But I'm intrigued nevertheless, considering the papers said the Dutch jails supposedly have room to spare. I guess somebody didn't do his research properly then.

Quote:
I bought a computer knee table for my birthday and it's really handy so far. All I need to do now is decide who will give this to me I'm celebrating my birthday on May 31st, the same day I'm going to do my Confirmation in church (2 birds, 1 stone) and you're all invited
We could do a double party in the Teacup, I'm having a birthday party on the 30th.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #377
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

95 bottles of beer on the wall. 95 bottles of beer. Take on down and pass it around. 94 bottles of beer on the wall.

I is very coocoo at the moment. Storms passed through at three this morning. Stayed up until they passed around 5ish. Alarm went off at 6. Didn't actually get out of bed til 7. I had to be at work at 8. And with Mother's Day tomorrow, we got swamped with people buying last minute gifts.

*Conks out in her big fluffy chair*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #378
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
We could do a double party in the Teacup, I'm having a birthday party on the 30th.
*groans* I just got an invitation for a party on the 30th from a good friend of mine... Maybe I can come for an hour or so, but she lives quite far away and I really do need to be home on time... >_<
Don't you love this sort of timing?

Will you be having your own party or is it for someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I is very coocoo at the moment. Storms passed through at three this morning. Stayed up until they passed around 5ish. Alarm went off at 6. Didn't actually get out of bed til 7. I had to be at work at 8. And with Mother's Day tomorrow, we got swamped with people buying last minute gifts.
Ah, doncha just looove retail? >_<
Though I must confess: we bought our present at the last minute as well.

Happy Mother's Day to all mums here!
(I found out that Mother's Day is a tradition that started in an American Methodist Church by the way. Now it's spread all over the world)

Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #379
Earniel

Quote:
*groans* I just got an invitation for a party on the 30th from a good friend of mine... Maybe I can come for an hour or so, but she lives quite far away and I really do need to be home on time... >_<
Don't you love this sort of timing?
It never rains but it pours, I believe the saying goes. Funny how that sort of things tend to coincide. I just had a call from a friend with an invitation to go out, while I had just mailed her with an invitation to do a movie night and we both ended up otherwise engaged on the days that were proposed. Timing, eh.

Quote:
Will you be having your own party or is it for someone else?
My own this time. Small party though, just me, my parents and my grandparents. Sis and her boyfriend are off abroad.

Quote:
Ah, doncha just looove retail? >_<
Though I must confess: we bought our present at the last minute as well.
There is another Mother's Day that gets celebrated in this province in autumn. So not only does mom get to have two Mother Days (because we never remember which one we celebrate so we do both) and I tend to stock up gifts in case such a day sneaks up on me unnoticed. Luckily my mother is very easy to get gifts for, the way she devours books.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #380
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I dont suppose anyone would feel like reviving 100 Words or perhaps you, Earn, could move it back to Gm! Would be most grateful.
Closed Thread