The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Super-unions?

To quote Spaceballs: "There goes the planet."
Old 12-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #362
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
What complete... idealistic pap. You didn't even answer my question re: disrupting ecosystems & breaking up natural corridors.
I'm a politician. What, you actually expect me to answer your questions!?

But frankly, there is no way to answer that. It's an unknown quantity, perhaps to be tested under controlled conditions. I believe I had an equation relating to it somewhere: the efficiency of its recycling abilities or something.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #363
BeardofPants
the Shrike

YOU brought up the notion of transplanting humans into the oceans, I was asking how you would circumvent the potential damage & destruction to the ecosystems. You want to be a 'politician', fine, but at least be prepared to back up your claims, otherwise you're no better than those 'corporate' entities you rile against.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #364
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm a land-dweller, and proud of it. It's all very well for someone who spends his time with biologists in the desert to suggest a world of chemists on the sea, but my area has an excess of both chemists and ocean, and I can tell you, it ain't purty.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #365
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

As far as ecosystems go, there is nothing as natural as extinction. While it's sad to see species go, it's probably not realistic to assume that the earth will remain a snapshot of what it is today.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 AM   #366
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I'm a land-dweller, and proud of it. It's all very well for someone who spends his time with biologists in the desert to suggest a world of chemists on the sea, but my area has an excess of both chemists and ocean, and I can tell you, it ain't purty.
Ah, well, you didn't know that I once lived much closer to the ocean.
Depends on the chemists, too.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #367
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
As far as ecosystems go, there is nothing as natural as extinction. While it's sad to see species go, it's probably not realistic to assume that the earth will remain a snapshot of what it is today.
Of course not, but it is a shame when we cause the extinction of a species that might not have gone extinct otherwise. Sometimes I feel we interfere too much with natural processes, even though we too are natural (in that we are animals and it is in our nature to use technology.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #368
inked
Elf Lord

Science, did you say science? Why, yes, you did! So here's........SCIENCE:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...8-3c63dc2d02cb

Gotta love it!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #369
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Well, good. The party's back on.

And, in other good news for wastrels, http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/news/ndlazio.htm

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #370
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

From Inked's article:
Quote:
In October, the Washington Post Staff Writer Juliet Eilperin conceded the obvious, writing that climate skeptics "appear to be expanding rather than shrinking."
It's important to get excercise and avoid overly-refined carbohydrates to maintain a healthy body weight.

Grammar and sentence structure are your friends people.

Also, I want to look at the list but I can't find a link.

This is from a Washington Times article that quotes some of the scientists:
Quote:
"I find the Doomsday picture Al Gore is painting — a six-meter sea level rise, 15 times the [U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] number — entirely without merit. ... I protest vigorously the idea that the climate reacts like a home heating system to a changed setting of the thermostat: just turn the dial, and the desired temperature will soon be reached."

Atmospheric scientist Hendrik Tennekes, former research director at the Netherlands' Royal National Meteorological Institute
Quibble: This doesn't means he doesn't think climate change could be caused by humans, he simply disagrees with Al Gore.

I mean, disagreeing with Michael Moore doesn't mean you're automatically right-wing.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 PM   #371
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Grammar and sentence structure are your friends, people.
See? LOOK how helpful I am.

Quote:
I mean, disagreeing with Michael Moore doesn't mean you're automatically right-wing.
No, but agreeing with him denotes something. Not sure what, but something.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 AM   #372
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Except that many of these "prominent scientists" are not scientists at all, of those who are scientists many are not climatologists, and of those who are, many of them work for/are funded by the energy industry.(Not that proves them wrong, anymore than the fact that a doctor who denies the link between smoking and cancer is employed by the Tobacco Institute proves him/her wrong.)

http://climateprogress.org/2007/12/21/

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #373
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Thanks, GrayMouser.

It started my day cheery to know that cranky people are continuing to do real science, somewhere.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #374
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thank you so much GreyMouser. Nice to know that yes, there is a consensus that climate change is happenning!

Quote:
What does Inhofe’s list have to do at all with the normal scientific process? What do meteorologists and economists have to do with the normal process of climate science? Should scientists really be influenced at all by one inventor’s wild claim that nanotechnology will eliminate fossil fuels in 20 years. Or by a contrived and mistake-riddled study by geomagnetists?
How incredibly deceptive of whoever it was to lie about there not being a general consensus.

No wonder I couldn't find the list itself, the last thing they want is people actually reading it!

EDIT: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works!? They should not be having such an obvious bias. I mean, they are a government agency, not one of the current administration KWIM?

EDIT2: All I could find was "brief highlights." I expected them to highlight all the climatologists and leave the physicists and geologists to pad the list but they didn't even bother (or there really are only three climatologists that they found who disagreed.) I guess they're really banking on no one reading the thing.

Here is a breakdown of the scientists (and two non-scientists):
Those in bold might actually have a clue about what they're talking about

Meteorologists: 3
Scientists: 4
Atmospheric scientists: 1
Climate scientists: 1
Climate and atmospheric consultant: 1
Physicists*: 3
Geologists: 4
Physical geographer**: 1
Climate researchers: 1
Climatologists: 2
Paleoclimatologists: 1
Marine researcher: 1
Philosopher of science**: 1

* One is also a mathematician
** Not a scientist

Five of the twenty-three people here might actually have a clue what they're talking about. That's 21.7%. If we extrapolate that to the entire list (my estimate will be adjusted if the link to this is forthcoming), that's 87 people. Not so impressive now, is it?

Edited to include the paleoclimatologist.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-01-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:16 AM   #375
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Man, one day inked will post a link that doesn't get spanked like a ginger stepchild.

All you need to know about that article is:
Quote:
The new report issued by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee’s office of the GOP Ranking Member
but it is well worth the effort to index all the ways in which it distorts the facts.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #376
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I imagine the paleoclimatologist might know a few things too, nurv.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #377
inked
Elf Lord

Gaffer! You believe in spanking?! Are you sure you are in England?

I see BoP came out of retirement to defend the paleoclimatologist.

Happy New Year, Ya'll . I'm glad you liked the article citation. It gave you something to do in the waning days of 2007.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #378
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
I imagine the paleoclimatologist might know a few things too, nurv.
Ahem. Yes. Your comment prompted me to look up what paleoclimatology actually is. Heh. Still, that doesn't change the gist of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Happy New Year, Ya'll . I'm glad you liked the article citation. It gave you something to do in the waning days of 2007.
What would we do without you Inked? Happy New Year! Gott nytt år! And don't be a stranger now.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #379
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Scientists regrow hearts:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-it-beats.html

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page