Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 06:05 AM   #361
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well RÃ*an, both options are good enough for me. I have no objections to option 1 because, since the Elves have no kingdoms after the Last Alliance, royalty is of little consequence. After the death of Gig-galad the Elves have no kings to rule their realms. Instead they have lords and ladies, who are often of a royal line, but don't assume the title of king.

Elrond is a prime example: son of Eärendil, the great-grandson of Turgon of Gondolin. After Gil-galad died he would have been rightfully King. He didn't take that role but made his own abode in Rivendell where he ruled, but not as king. Not even Galadriel, the oldest and most powerful noldo, assumed the title of Queen.

So I don't think RÃ*an's royal inheritage wouldn't be a big issue. She wouldn't be worshipped, since that's not what Elves do, but she would indeed be welcome with open arms everywhere should her lineage be known. But if she desires to wander instead of settle down and start a realm of her own, she won't be leading or ordering people around. I also doubt the Elves would forbid her to wander alone in the wild if that were her choice.

Of course, option 2 is also good. And if you still want to throw in the occasional reference to great-great-ect-uncle Fëanor, maybe you can make a little family connection to him if you're dropping your relationship to Tuor. Maybe by being a relative through Nerdanel?

So hey, it's all your choice.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #362
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Cs, you posted a picture that I accepted as Khamûl. Here it is again.

Khamûl / Galadannun
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #363
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I like this Khamul/Galadannun, TD.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #364
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Some great ideas for me to ponder! Thanks for the input, I'll decide shortly and let you know.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #365
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Rian, if you're somehow related to Feanor, and Viniglaen finds out, she'll develop an INTENSE interest in you! She'll want to pick your brain endlessly - no, not LITerally, silly goose! See, one thing I forgot to mention here - Viv's always been completely, dangerously obsessed with Feanor, and even thinks someday she might be able to find a silmaril . Which is unrealistic, I'm sure, but you can't knock her for at least having an extra dream besides just the Ruling Ring!

Old 09-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #366
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
, since the Elves have no kingdoms after the Last Alliance, royalty is of little consequence. After the death of Gig-galad the Elves have no kings to rule their realms. Instead they have lords and ladies, who are often of a royal line, but don't assume the title of king.
Perhaps it is not a matter for discussion in an RPG thread, but that needs stretching the facts quite a bit to say that royalty is of little consequence to Elves.
At the time of our story, there were two elven kingdoms: Greenwood the Great with King Thranduil and Lorien with King Amroth. True, nobody clamed to be High King of Noldor anymore, but Elrond was a ruler of Rivendell and its king, in all, but the name. Galadriel was not called Queen, that is right, but wasn't she used to ordering people around all her life because of her lineage?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #367
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Numenorean-Rules Football

OK - here's the link. This is in the middle of a very, VERY long letter (Letter #4 in the 12 letter series by Firiel of Gondor) - part of which features a description of the game:

Numenorean-Rules Football

So you see... games like this have ALWAYS been around to torment the females of the species in the autumn.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #368
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Thanx 4 that link, Valandil!

and Gordis - *puts fingertips together evilly, a la Montgomery Burns, squints* - exxxxx-cccellent!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #369
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've read all comments (thanks for the input!) and here's my decision - I'm going with option 2, because I think the adding of a sister, plus having a lot of published things to have to always keep in mind about relatives if I chose option 1, woudl just be too much to manage.

I understand the suggestion to drop the half-elf thing, but that's one thing I do NOT want to drop at all for several reasons, one being my husband He's what's known as a TCK ("third culture kid"), which is when the kid grows up in a culture other than that of his/her parents, such as missionary kids, diplomat kids, many military kids, overseas business kids, etc. It's a rather unique sub-culture, with many shared characteristics, and I want to have RÃ*an deal with that. And I think adding another elf-human marriage is not out-of-character with JRRT, because there's a few other of them hinted at on occasion, besides of course the famous ones. The half-elven seem to pass as full-elven, anyway, with no problem, so no one will have to know unless she tells them (except Val seems to know somehow - I might ask him to edit out that reference).

(besides, I'm scared of Viv picking my brain! j/k )
SO - that's enough to go on for now, and I'll figure out my response now!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #370
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I understand the suggestion to drop the half-elf thing, but that's one thing I do NOT want to drop at all for several reasons, one being my husband He's what's known as a TCK ("third culture kid"), which is when the kid grows up in a culture other than that of his/her parents, such as missionary kids, diplomat kids, many military kids, overseas business kids, etc. It's a rather unique sub-culture, with many shared characteristics, and I want to have RÃ*an deal with that.
I suppose you mean that you want her to have had to have dealt with that in the past. It's not very likely to happen in this role playing game, seeing as her growing up years were concluded millenia ago .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 AM   #371
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Nice, Rian! That was expertly done, the way you explained there how Rian-Rian thinks and stuff. (I don't know how to call your game name; you & Earniel & Val all have the same "real" names 2 game names!) You're a natural at this, she-elf!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #372
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I suppose you mean that you want her to have had to have dealt with that in the past. It's not very likely to happen in this role playing game, seeing as her growing up years were concluded millenia ago .
My husband is grown up, and it still makes him unique in many interesting ways, and he still deals with things related to it! We all deal with our upbringing all of our lives, of course, but TCKs deal with some things that many of us one-culture people don't, and I might work some of those things in rpg-RÃ*an's story, if it comes in naturally.

Lotesse - thanks! I sat down with the plan to write the interview, but then saw that we had moved past that, so I got the idea to write it in the past tense. And I think the mention of Finrod makes it kosher, altho still unusual. Altho I prob. should have not assumed Lilly (or any human) would know who Finrod was - I might re-write it a bit.

How 'bout calling the RÃ*an in the rpg by rpg-RÃ*an? Kind of like when we jokingly referred to "movieAragorn" when talking about something that Aragorn did in the movie that he would NOT have done in the books.

Last edited by Rían : 09-12-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #373
Rían

just checked my post - I don't need to edit it re Finrod, because I didn't quote what RÃ*an said, I just mentioned the concept she was getting across. She would explain in as much detail as necessary to get the point across. RÃ*an would have probably actually said that there were some very famous elves that had taken an interest in humans, and may not have even mentioned Finrod's name.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #374
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I believe us Nazgul know a heck of a lot more people & elves & even dwarves than one in middle-earth generally may be led to believe, so it's highly likely that Viniglaen, Lilly et al DO know your husband, but they probably would never let on that they did, not to rpg-Rian anyway. There wouldn't be an advantage in it for them, y'know? It's all good...

Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #375
Rían

Yes, I'm sure Lily et al have indeed heard of Finrod Felagund, but RÃ*an doesn't know Lilly et al are Nazgul, so she would not assume they know ANY elves.

not quite sure what you mean by Lilly knowing my husband; rpg-RÃ*an is NOT married.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #376
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

My bad; for some reason I was under the impression she was...

Oh - also, I was merely saying the Nazguls would know, but that they wouldn't necessarily do anything with the info, so whether or not rpg-Rian knew or didn't know that the Nazguls knew, wouldn't make a difference. Ow. Now my brain hurts, you know?

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-12-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #377
Rían

I feel for ya - a common malady of my own!

'night, all!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 AM   #378
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Oh, GW! You are with us again! We are happy, Lilly and I
Sure your post was OK, what can there be wrong in having a drink at noon?

You may also tell what you think about Rian's appearence. She is a looker, and I bet you have already wandered invisible into the sitting-room to have a look at her, as Vivvi also did, I believe. Therefore I mentioned "invisible eyes following her every move".
We can turn fully visible or fully invisible, including clothes we wear, as we have our Rings. But we don't reflect in mirrors...
So, did you like the new applicant for the housekeeper position?

Re:Omar Sharif - do you like him with or without mustache?
With a moustache, please. Sure will me give that distinguished look, won't it?

And as for the new household ap, very good!!

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 09-12-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #379
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Well, I'm glad Mor looks like Omar Sharif; now Viv has a face to go with the name over in Fellowship! Thanx 4 the input; I know you'll be posting more when you get well!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #380
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
... (except Val seems to know somehow - I might ask him to edit out that reference)...
I could if you like... I was just saying that I had heard them call you this at The Red Herring (perhaps only when talking about you). So... if they would know (or guess) - I could keep it in, but otherwise I'll remove it.

Argh... just did a nice lengthy post in the game and it didn't take. May try again but am already up abnormally late.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Closed Thread