Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2002, 02:40 AM   #361
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry I'm late - we have family in town for the holiday, and I've been VERY busy!

Anyway, I think I'd like to do what I did in the other quiz thread - a question for people with HoME books, and one for those with only LoTR books. So here goes:

LoTR question - who was Eomer's cousin?

HoME question - Aragorn visited Orthanc to start restoring it after he was crowned in Gondor. With the help of Gimli, a secret steel closet was found and opened. On a high shelf in the secret closet, there was a casket (box). What 2 things were in it?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:08 PM   #362
Keith K
Elf Lord

Inside the casket were found a small golden box on a fine golden chain wherein Isildur had encased the Ring, and the original Elindilmir. Is that correct Rian?
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:22 PM   #363
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

to the first question of Rian's; Theodred is Eomer's cousin; i think.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:40 PM   #364
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Correct and correct, Keith K and Ms. Undomial!

Your turns

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 PM   #365
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
What does HoME mean?

The Wings of the Wind are swift indeed.

I am a bookworm.

"Fly you fools!" I'm no fool, but I would gladly fly!
AudrentheRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #366
Rían

HoME means "History of Middle Earth" - a series of 12 (?) books, put out by Christopher Tolkien, containing various writings of JRRT's on Middle Earth. Books 1 and 2 are referred to as BoLT1 and BoLT 2 here (for Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2). You'll also see PoME and WotJ (Peoples of Middle Earth and War of the Jewels) - we just LOVE to abbreviate! Actually, I think PoME and WotJ are books 11 and 12. Book 10, Morgoth's Ring (MR), is one of my favorites. You'll also see UT referred to (Unfinished Tales), which is another supplemental writing, but not part of HoME. Most people start with LoTR (Lord of the Rings), then move on to the Sil (Silmarillion), then on to the HoME series, if they're still interested.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by Rían : 12-02-2002 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #367
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
That makes sense. Thanks.

I am a bookworm.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #368
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

this is a LOTR question because I don't have any of the HoME books.

in what year did Aragorn's mother, Gilraen, die?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 12-02-2002, 05:48 PM   #369
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Are we allowed to peek? No, I did not think so. I have no idea, I'll think about it though.

I am a bookworm.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:51 PM   #370
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

What do you mean by "are we allowed to peek"? if you mean that are you don't know weather or not you are allowed to look into the books, then of course you may! I don't think any one would get it without the book.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:09 PM   #371
Rían

You're welcome, AudrentheRanger, and welcome to Entmoot, since I haven't seen you around yet. I definitely "peek"! I don't know how you can keep all the ME info in your head, there's too much! Have you read the Sil yet? You have, I know, Ms. U.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:35 PM   #372
Keith K
Elf Lord

The Witch-King destroyed the gates of Gondor. Of what were the new gates wrought?
Old 12-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #373
AudrentheRanger
Enting

I've read the Sil. Once only though. For some reason, I can't make myself read it again.

Answer(guess more likely ) : Mithril???

I am a bookworm.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:12 PM   #374
Rían

Both answers are found in RoTK -

Keith K - from Appendix A - "For Minas Tirith they [Gimli and the Dwarf-folk of Erebor] forged gates of mithril and steel to replace those broken by the Witch King."

Ms. U. - From Appendix B - the year 3007, Third Age.

My go? (if it is, then AudrentheRanger may go for the LoTR questions, since his/her answer was essentially correct, and I'll do another HoME one)

Last edited by Rían : 12-03-2002 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:39 PM   #375
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Your go Rian, you got it right. but be assured that next time it will be much harder!!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 PM   #376
Keith K
Elf Lord

Rian, you sure know your trivia! You are correct!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:41 PM   #377
Rían

Thanks!

OK, here goes:

LoTR question : Who is CelebrÃ*an's mother?

HoME, etc. question : What were the engagement rings and the wedding rings of the Eldar like?

Old 12-03-2002, 11:55 PM   #378
Keith K
Elf Lord

Rian, the answer is engagement rings of silver and wedding rings of gold.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:35 AM   #379
Rían

Right

"Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciousss!"

Your go!

Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 AM   #380
Keith K
Elf Lord

Okay, looks like we have some serious trivia-tag going on Rian! Here's one for you...(and any other entmooters who care!).

Who were known as the Spear-Elves?