Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 05:25 PM   #361
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Privet!
K sozhaleniyu, ya poka ne govoryu po russki.

I found this website with some nice Russian phrases.

Do svidaniya!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #362
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Njet, ya kashka. Or something of that nature...

Thanks to Menelvagor's sig.

That's the end of my Russian.

Oh, and spasieba.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:00 PM   #363
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Mina: puhun suomi.

Well, a little. Anyone else learning? i'd love practice. oh yes and the colon is supposed to be a diaresis

that is, Finnish

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 11-11-2003 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:38 PM   #364
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Ruinel, du sollst neue Freunde machen.

So, ihr geht nicht nach Deutschland? Warum denn versuchst du noch Deutsch zu lernen?
DeberÃ*as aprender español, francés o italiano.
Guter Punkt! (Good point!) Wir sollen nach Deutschland auch. Ich nicht erwahnte den.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
...Ruinel, was ist mit Österreich? Undbedingt sehenswert.
Wir gehen dort, moglicherweise.
Quote:
Teach us some important russian sentences!!!!!
Ja! Wie: "Sie sind sehr stattlich" und "Sie mochten kommen mit mir zu meinem Haus, baby?" Ein ander guter Satz: " Die ist eine sehr grosse Shlange in Ihren Hosen" und " Ack! Sie haben die grossen, haarigen Hoden!"

Last edited by Ruinel : 11-11-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:18 AM   #365
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Ik spreek geen Nederlands. But I can pronounce double /a/ and /e/ and single /g/! *Hard look at Eärniel* Your g exists in Indonesian, and I've heard it in Swedish too, so there. Ga weg! (Not really).

Wow, Russian. I would really love to learn that, but I think trying to comprehend the imperfective/perfective etc aspects might be...difficult. Plus, like Polish, I'd have to learn what all those letters represent. (As well as learning the 18 conjugation groups! ) Anyone know Polish?

Anyway, jeg snakker ikke norsk, but I'll try 'cause you like it Arty.

Oh, and Ornelire, you can type in an /a/ with a diaresis using Alt 132 if you have Windows. Handy if you're learning Finnish, selvä?

Tot ziens!

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-12-2003 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:29 AM   #366
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hei Lin, velkommen tilbake!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Ja! Wie: "Sie sind sehr stattlich" und "Sie mochten kommen mit mir zu meinem Haus, baby?" Ein ander guter Satz: " Die ist eine sehr grosse Shlange in Ihren Hosen" und " Ack! Sie haben die grossen, haarigen Hoden!"
Ruinel, you have not changed.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:35 AM   #367
ayarella
Hobbit

espanol?

algen aqui habla espanol? yo necesito algen para ayudar me practicar my escribido espanol! responde porfavor! yo me voy a murir sin eso!

aya
Old 11-12-2003, 03:41 AM   #368
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Takk/Tack/Tak/Merci/Danke/Dĕkuji/Dank u/Kiitos/Köszönöm/Grazie/Dobrze/Obrigada/Gracias/Makasi/Xie Xie
Sorry, you caught me in a *bit* of a language mode.
Now I won't shut up about languages for a loooooong time. *Poor friends of mine*
Old 11-12-2003, 03:47 AM   #369
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
If I was going to create a language, I would prefer it to be pronouncable instead of beautiful.
Russian is beautiful anyway.
I prefer germanic langauges to romance languages. they're much more practical.
Romance languages have to many vowels everywhere .
I am set on learning german
but all languages are neat in their own way
Bah, I like vowels!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:52 AM   #370
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

A question: What do you think of your native language? I've recently read a bit about Germans not liking their language (as it sounds 'rough' etc), so I asked Lai about it and she said that she doesn't like it much either. For me, I guess I'm sort of 'immune' to English (my mother tongue) in that I don't really have any feelings regarding it. To me, it's the most 'complete' language (though I know this is not so), it's a part of me (The spoken language, at least)

I'd really like to know what English (or Cambodian or Chinese for that matter) sounds like to the foreigner, having grown up with all of these. But I feel that one dialect of Chinese I know is more ...gentle than the other (Though they are almost the same). Mandarin lies somewhere between the two.

Hectorberlioz, there are languages both beautiful and pronounceable. Swedish, for one. Oh, which leads me to something else. Jonathan, what's the most common pronunciation of the sk sound? I've heard it as Spanish /j/, German 'ich as well as this /sh/+/f/ sound.
Thanks! (That's the only pronunciation problem I have)

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-12-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:10 AM   #371
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
A question: What do you think of your native language? I've recently read a bit about Germans not liking their language (as it sounds 'rough' etc), so I asked Lai about it and she said that she doesn't like it much either. For me, I guess I'm sort of 'immune' to English (my mother tongue) in that I don't really have any feelings regarding it. To me, it's the most 'complete' language (though I know this is not so), it's a part of me (The spoken language, at least)

I'd really like to know what English (or Cambodian or Chinese for that matter) sounds like to the foreigner, having grown up with all of these. But I feel that one dialect of Chinese I know is more ...gentle than the other (Though they are almost the same). Mandarin lies somewhere between the two.

Hectorberlioz, there are languages both beautiful and pronounceable. Swedish, for one. Oh, which leads me to something else. Jonathan, what's the most common pronunciation of the sk sound? I've heard it as Spanish /j/, German 'ich as well as this /sh/+/f/ sound.
Thanks!
I've heard that many Swedish people like Norwegian better than Swedish (this is of course just something I've heard, we should ask Jonathan if it's true).

I have a problem with classifying english as a beautiful or ugly language. I'm unable to judge it, don't know why. May be because I've used it much of my life...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:21 AM   #372
Artanis

Quote:
I'd really like to know what English (or Cambodian or Chinese for that matter) sounds like to the foreigner, having grown up with all of these.
What kind of English? There are so many 'dialects'. I'm sure the kind of English you're speaking in Melbourne is different from what I've heard elsewhere. I don't think any of the languages that I know of deserve to be called beautiful, but I think the Irish way of speaking English is very charming.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:29 AM   #373
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
What kind of English? There are so many 'dialects'. I'm sure the kind of English you're speaking in Melbourne is different from what I've heard elsewhere. I don't think any of the languages that I know of deserve to be called beautiful, but I think the Irish way of speaking English is very charming.
I don't know, any English! I'm immune to it all! The actual language, I mean, not the accent. Like how Italian sounds all expressive, and the Nordic languages melodic (except for Danish ) and German 'rough' etc. Am I making sense? Faen.

Oh, and by the way, I like Swedish better. (I think that much is obvious ). 'Och' is SO much better than 'og'!! jk.

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-12-2003 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:56 AM   #374
Artanis

Quote:
I don't know, any English! I'm immune to it all! The actual language, I mean, not the accent. Like how Italian sounds all expressive, and the Nordic languages melodic (except for Danish ) and German 'rough' etc. Am I making sense? Faen.
Yes, but Oxford English sounds so very different from Irish English, and American English, and the kind of English you hear in the streets in London. The first I associate with snobbish upper class, the second as I said is charming and musical, I have no appropriate adjective to stick on the last two, I know there are multiple dialects in America as well.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 AM   #375
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
*Hard look at Eärniel*
*sheepish grin*

I see you've looked into Dutch. Good job, I haven't seen a single error. Welkom terug!

Quote:
A question: What do you think of your native language?
I don't really think Dutch is that beautiful but I wouldn't trade my Flemish language for any in the world! It has its moments so to speak, and certain great phrases that are impossible to translate in any othe language. It has tonnes of dialects, nearly every old Flemish city has one of its own.

I think German - though it is very simular to Dutch- is indeed a very rough and unfeeling language. (Really no offence meant) I suppose much of that comes from my frustrating inabilty to speak decent, grammatically correct German.

English is a language that comes easy to me and has a certain 'wordly' feel: with English, the chances are large that everybody will understand at least something of what you say. English can have a certain poetic beauty, as well as French, although French has a IMHO certain 'stuck-up' air around it. But that last impression is mainly based on social-historical grounds.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:08 PM   #376
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
*sheepish grin*

I see you've looked into Dutch. Good job, I haven't seen a single error. Welkom terug!

I don't really think Dutch is that beautiful but I wouldn't trade my Flemish language for any in the world! It has its moments so to speak, and certain great phrases that are impossible to translate in any othe language. It has tonnes of dialects, nearly every old Flemish city has one of its own.

I think German - though it is very simular to Dutch- is indeed a very rough and unfeeling language. (Really no offence meant) I suppose much of that comes from my frustrating inabilty to speak decent, grammatically correct German.

English is a language that comes easy to me and has a certain 'wordly' feel: with English, the chances are large that everybody will understand at least something of what you say. English can have a certain poetic beauty, as well as French, although French has a IMHO certain 'stuck-up' air around it. But that last impression is mainly based on social-historical grounds.
I was so proud that I could acctually understand the Flemish signs in Brussels. So proud.

About German. I can't judge if it is rough or melodic or anything like that. It is just very difficult in terms of grammar and everything. Not the pronunciation I think. But that I can't judge, as it is my mother tongue.

But one thing I know is, that Spanish is much more easy to pronounce than English. I am much better in English but still I read a lot faster in Spanish.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:49 PM   #377
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ruinel, you have not changed.
And why would I?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #378
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
And why would I?
I thought exactly the same like Artanis.
Why can you remember always these sentences?
Ruinel kann die schlimmen Wörter immer am Schnellsten.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:54 PM   #379
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ruinel kann die schlimmen Wörter immer am Schnellsten.
Hey, I'm just trying to be practical.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #380
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Perhaps I'm veering off the subject but I always thought that Irish and Scottish accents have a certain charm to them and the accents of southern US have a "warm" feeling to them. Don't ya'll think so to?
Closed Thread