Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:36 PM   #361
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I finished IT (the Stephen King book), so now I'm working on The Letters of JRRT. It's very interesting, especially his views about love & marriage, religion, Hitler, Jews, and war in general. I had to borrow it from someone living here in the dorms with me because I can't seem to find it in any library or bookstore.
I just bought The Tommyknockers (I love Stphen King; can't you tell?) today, so that will get added onto my List of Books to Read After the One I'm Reading Now. The list never seems to get any shorter, but that's not a bad thing.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:52 AM   #362
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Jane Eyre, for the 12,747,543 time
Old 10-28-2002, 03:41 AM   #363
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Frank Millers work on Batman was cool, but if you want dark (and insane) Batman, Jim Stalins Death in the Family is amazing (one of the best Graphic Novels I've ever read).
I'll have to check it out... once I finish Akira... only another 4 to go....
Old 10-28-2002, 01:34 PM   #364
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Jane Eyre, for the 12,747,543 time
Yuck! I totally hated that book (or brick is more like it). I had enough trouble reading it just once.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #365
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree, Treebeard's Apprentice. Yuck! Good for you, being able to read it so many times.

Out of Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:03 AM   #366
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

ehhh...I'm not a big fan of any of the brontes, though I've been meaning to read The Tenant of Whitfield Hall...

right now I'm reading The Making of the English Working Cl--oh, you mean what am I reading for fun? what's fun?
Old 10-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #367
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Treebeard's apprentice
I finished IT (the Stephen King book), so now I'm working on The Letters of JRRT. It's very interesting, especially his views about love & marriage, religion, Hitler, Jews, and war in general. I had to borrow it from someone living here in the dorms with me because I can't seem to find it in any library or bookstore.
It's a fascinating book, isn't it?! (Letters) Several people at Entmoot have started on it recently. The letter to the German publishers about whether or not he has any Jewish blood in him is particularly well-written, I thought. And it's fun to read his lighter letters, too, and those written to very close friends. There's lots of good ME info to be picked up, too. I hope you can find it in a bookstore soon, because I think it's a real "keeper". I refer back to it often.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-29-2002, 04:48 PM   #368
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I read Maloria (Edings) and another fantasy book. I can't remember its name, of its writer. I'll edit them next.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:50 PM   #369
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

The Silmarillion. Taking it nice and easy, and determined to get through it this time.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:20 AM   #370
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

cee2lee2, did you already try to read The Sil and you failed?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:45 AM   #371
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Radagast the Brown, yes, I tried a long time ago and got bogged down in all of the names and the style of writing. I think part of my problem then was trying to get through it too quickly, as I had ploughed through the trilogy to find out what happened. Now I am taking each chapter slowly and letting it sink in before moving on. I'm reading it at lunchtime at work, so I have a time constraint anyway and am not able to get through too much at once. I must say I'm enjoying it more this time. And I anticipate I'll come back to it when I'm done, just as I do with The Hobbot and the trilogy.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:27 AM   #372
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I just finished reading A Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDaniel. Very sad, I cried.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:57 PM   #373
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by c2l2
Radagast the Brown, yes, I tried a long time ago and got bogged down in all of the names and the style of writing. I think part of my problem then was trying to get through it too quickly, as I had ploughed through the trilogy to find out what happened. Now I am taking each chapter slowly and letting it sink in before moving on. I'm reading it at lunchtime at work, so I have a time constraint anyway and am not able to get through too much at once. I must say I'm enjoying it more this time. And I anticipate I'll come back to it when I'm done, just as I do with The Hobbot and the trilogy.
ok.

I'm reading a book written by Piury something, and it called Orian. And the Malorian, Edings.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:20 PM   #374
Philia
Enting

Shakespeare's A Midsummer nights eve
Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud
Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #375
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Le Morte d'Arthur, by Thomas Malory. I've only just started it but I think I love it already...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #376
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've kind of given up reading BoLT 2 until my exams are finished and I can concentrate properly. I know this is probably very bad, but I'm currently reading this very good LOTR fanfiction story on the web. Ok, so it does contain some slash, but its all in good fun!
Old 11-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #377
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Treebeard's apprentice
Yuck! I totally hated that book (or brick is more like it). I had enough trouble reading it just once.
Let me explain that one. See, I have a group of friends who were all really into romance novels (especially Jane Austen and the Brontes) and had never read LotR. So we came to an agreement that for every time they read a book by Tolkien, I would read a romance novel by one of their two favorite authors. As I have only been able to get through TWO Jane Austen books, one of Emily Bronte's, and Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, I wind up reading the four books a lot. Half of those friends have now read and re-read LotR several times! Having to read just about anything is worth that.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:26 AM   #378
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

next time they make you read Jane Austen, read _Lady Susan_. It's very short (especially for Austen), it has a much more interesting format.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:38 AM   #379
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm taking a hiatus from Tolkien, and have just finished Asimov's first foundation book. I'm still formulating my opinion on it, and I think to get a feel for it, I'll have to read some more of the series. (I started on Foundation, not Prelude.) Now, I'm about to start on Heinlein's Starship Troopers.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:04 AM   #380
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
next time they make you read Jane Austen, read _Lady Susan_. It's very short (especially for Austen), it has a much more interesting format.
Thank you. I'll try that.
Closed Thread