Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #361
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

My new church has asked me to sing something at a function this weekend - so i'll be performing "Come Unto Him" from the Messiah (since it has to be something sacred). It's something i've performed so many times that two days of re-preparation is realistic, and it won't be too hard on the accompanist, as well. It's amazing what can fall in your lap once people know you sing.

ETA, of course though, it's not seasonal. I also have the Mozart "Alleluia" and Haydn's "With Verdure Clad" (from the Creation), and my first thought was the latter since it's not tied to any one season, but both would be just awful at last minute for the accompanist.. Any thoughts?
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Last edited by Voronwen : 10-22-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #362
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
ETA, of course though, it's not seasonal. I also have the Mozart "Alleluia" and Haydn's "With Verdure Clad" (from the Creation), and my first thought was the latter since it's not tied to any one season, but both would be just awful at last minute for the accompanist.. Any thoughts?
If you're looking for something super easy on the accompanist (assuming they're fairly proficient), and considering your voice, I would suggest something like "Evening Hymn," by Purcell which I'm sure you've sung many times before. But I think any of your selections would be appropriate.

Quote:
I should probably look up everything she's sung, for ideas.
I don't think that would be a bad idea at all. You might also check out Sumi Jo's rep, because I'm pretty sure she hasn't sung purely coloratura roles. Kiri Te Kanawa would be another great one to check out for roles. Also, like you said, Lucia Popp and Kathleen Battle.

So today in my lesson we did the Ab4 again (still has to be an 'ah' vowel or I can't quite make it up there), so that makes me very happy that we've done it at a couple of lessons now. Like my teacher said, we've been slowly inching up since the beginning of the semester. I think my first couple of lessons we were mostly doing F's, then F#'s, then G's, and now the Ab. I'm doing the Ab now like I was doing the F#'s before, so it's slowly getting more comfortable.

I told her that I feel like I still have range on top of that Ab, and she agreed with me. I know I've said it before, and I still really think it's true. It was nice for her to confirm it, because I remember at the beginning of the semester she was thinking I wouldn't have much more than an F# and then she thought I -might- have a performable G. So now she's thinking I'll have at least an A if not a bit more.

I'm also getting better about my breathing... I have a tendency to breath and then 'set' the breath by grabbing with the muscles of my chest, and that cuts me off from my top notes, makes perfectly easy phrases hard to get through, and makes my voice a bit thinner and 'tinny' sounding. Getting the breath to flow properly is making a big difference for me. Combine that with proper vowels and modification and I'm singing much more easily these days when I can keep it all working smoothly.

I think I'm still behind where I should be, and (again) I'm sure she would still agree with me, but today she reminded me of just how much progress we've made in just two months. Another nice thing is that last night during rehearsal I made a comment to my coach about how I was annoyed that sometimes I still end up oversinging if I'm not careful, and he said that he wasn't surprised I forget things sometimes considering just how 'fast' I'm fixing things.

I am still biting it kind of hard on my Handel aria, but at this point I'm sort of in 'resigned' mode... it may not sound very good for NATS. I'm going to give it my all, but I'm going to try not to be too stressed out if it still ends up not being in great shape by then.

I don't think I'm going to audition for the Bernstien solo tomorrow. I'm not quite able to make those F's as consistent as I'd like them to be, so I don't think there's a point to auditioning for it right now when I'd rather be using my practice time on my NATS stuff.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #363
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
If you're looking for something super easy on the accompanist (assuming they're fairly proficient), and considering your voice, I would suggest something like "Evening Hymn," by Purcell which I'm sure you've sung many times before. But I think any of your selections would be appropriate.
Oh! That's a great idea, but no, i actually haven't sung it! I'll file that away for future use! I really should learn it!

Quote:
I don't think that would be a bad idea at all. You might also check out Sumi Jo's rep, because I'm pretty sure she hasn't sung purely coloratura roles. Kiri Te Kanawa would be another great one to check out for roles. Also, like you said, Lucia Popp and Kathleen Battle.
Well, it looks as if Lucia Popp has sung my ultimate dream role, Konstanze as well as both Pamina and Queen of the Night, both Sophie and Marschallin, and the soubrette roles of Mozart (Despina, Zerlina, et al). Kathleen Battle has sung the soubrette roles and Pamina, Zerbinetta (which is coloratura as we all know) and some Bel Canto, Sumi Jo has of course done everything coloratura under the sun as well as soubrette roles and Bel Canto (one that stands out is Giullietta in I Capuleti e i Montecchi, whose aria i've studied), and Kiri Te Kanawa seems to be more on the "full lyric" end having sung Dido, Contessa, Mimi, Marschallin, Donna Elvira, and Fiordiligi (fun stuff! ) and also Pamina. Looks like there are lots of possibilities.

Quote:
So today in my lesson we did the Ab4 again (still has to be an 'ah' vowel or I can't quite make it up there), so that makes me very happy that we've done it at a couple of lessons now. Like my teacher said, we've been slowly inching up since the beginning of the semester. I think my first couple of lessons we were mostly doing F's, then F#'s, then G's, and now the Ab. I'm doing the Ab now like I was doing the F#'s before, so it's slowly getting more comfortable.

I told her that I feel like I still have range on top of that Ab, and she agreed with me. I know I've said it before, and I still really think it's true. It was nice for her to confirm it, because I remember at the beginning of the semester she was thinking I wouldn't have much more than an F# and then she thought I -might- have a performable G. So now she's thinking I'll have at least an A if not a bit more.
Yay!!!! Fun with range It'll be interesting to see what you have in entirety, as it unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised if you do have at least an A. Didn't you say once that you've sung some tenor stuff?

And just because i'm interested, are you also simultaneously finding more range on the bottom? As the cords become more flexible, it's not unheard of for one's range to grow in both directions.

Quote:
Getting the breath to flow properly is making a big difference for me. Combine that with proper vowels and modification and I'm singing much more easily these days when I can keep it all working smoothly.
I think the more you free up the breath, you'll see even more improvement.

Quote:
Another nice thing is that last night during rehearsal I made a comment to my coach about how I was annoyed that sometimes I still end up oversinging if I'm not careful, and he said that he wasn't surprised I forget things sometimes considering just how 'fast' I'm fixing things.
You are certainly working fast and i have no doubt that you'll catch up to where you should be. As you know it's going to take the muscle memory some time to catch up with your mind.

Quote:
I am still biting it kind of hard on my Handel aria, but at this point I'm sort of in 'resigned' mode... it may not sound very good for NATS. I'm going to give it my all, but I'm going to try not to be too stressed out if it still ends up not being in great shape by then.
Is there anything else you can sing for NATS? Or are the guidelines very strict?

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to audition for the Bernstien solo tomorrow. I'm not quite able to make those F's as consistent as I'd like them to be, so I don't think there's a point to auditioning for it right now when I'd rather be using my practice time on my NATS stuff.
I think this is wise. You've learned the lesson of not cramming too much into your schedule.

Just for fun... here's a great duet for us! (Actual duet starts at 2:01)

..Or is Don G. a little bit low for you? Zerlina is great for me! (Silly girl, falling for that cad! ). I've sung this one before. Everybody loves it, and it's fun!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Last edited by Voronwen : 10-22-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #364
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

HOLY CRAPPERDOODLES!!!!!! O_o YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I TOTALLY JUST DID!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been able to occasionally squeak out a note in my whistle register by just clamping my throat shut and letting my larynx rise really high... I know it's not good for me, so I just do it every once in a while for fun... like once a month if even that often.

Tonight in the shower I was playing around with singing softly (since everyone else is already in bed asleep) and I was having some fun adding octaves to the ends of phrases (you know... the octave leaps like I'm a tenor... then suddenly a soprano ) and I ended up doing one with almost no breath pressure at all... it wasn't a very high falsetto note, but I suddenly realized that with energized support but NO breath pressure it felt like I had no 'ceiling' to my falsetto.

So I tried it again, imagining that I was holding back everything but the tiniest pinprick of air, and suddenly I was squeaking out whistle notes without any strain in my throat at all. It was like letting out the most tiny, impossibly small 'sigh' ever and it produced a whistle tone. I wasn't able to sustain a pure whistle note (I don't have that fine of a control on my airflow yet to keep such a tiny flow sustained) BUT I did sustain what must've been at least a B5 or a C6 in my sort of whistle/falsetto mix... it had some tension, but nothing like what I used to have, AND I've never been able to sustain above an F5 or a G5 before without it being basically a controlled constriction... this was pretty free/relaxed and was about the minimized air flow rather than a pressurized airflow through a super tight throat.

I may have to play with that some more, because I wonder what other kinds of discoveries this might lead to. Obviously being able to produce whistle register notes is not very useful for me, and it's more of a party trick than anything else (especially because it's such a tiny, tiny sound), but the ability to produce them with almost zero throat tension is something I've never had before. I wonder if I could learn some other useful vocal things by (very, VERY carefully) playing around with this.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-23-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #365
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Yay!!!! Fun with range It'll be interesting to see what you have in entirety, as it unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised if you do have at least an A. Didn't you say once that you've sung some tenor stuff?
My first teacher had me -trying- to sing a piece in a tenor key... it went up to a G4, and I was killing myself trying to hit it. Other than that I've never been a tenor... as soon as my voice changed and I started singing again I was already Bass II.

Quote:
And just because i'm interested, are you also simultaneously finding more range on the bottom? As the cords become more flexible, it's not unheard of for one's range to grow in both directions.
Not so much... I've always had a pretty decent low extension. It's nothing great, and I can't live down there for sure, but I have a (usually) fairly solid E2 although it's not 'placed' correctly. I can fry lower than that, but of course I rarely do because it's not very comfortable.

Quote:
I think the more you free up the breath, you'll see even more improvement.
This is definitely true. When I breath correctly I find my range much easier to negotiate through, my tone is much fuller, and in general it's just an improvement to my sound.

Quote:
Is there anything else you can sing for NATS? Or are the guidelines very strict?
Unfortunately the answer is no. We haven't had time to work on anything else between Pirates, my being sick for a while, and then her being sick for a while.

Quote:
Just for fun... here's a great duet for us! (Actual duet starts at 2:01)

..Or is Don G. a little bit low for you? Zerlina is great for me! (Silly girl, falling for that cad! ). I've sung this one before. Everybody loves it, and it's fun!
I LOVE this duet! Also Samuel Ramey is a god among basses . I think Don G. is a little low for me, but I could probably swing it. Hehehe.

So today I was trying to practice, and my voice just felt like it didn't want to warm up... Even after singing through some scales my voice still felt uneven and I wasn't feeling even slightly comfortable above an A3. It took me a few minutes of thinking, but I suddenly realized that I was constricting my throat. O_o

Remember when I thought my 'crappy computer mic' wasn't recording my voice correctly? Apparently I was just constricting my throat. Something about singing at home has gotten me into a totally tense habit, so it wasn't the recording devices... I literally -did- sound completely different in my voice lessons vs. at home. I compared the recordings of the scales I had been trying to do, and then one I sang with my throat open, and it was like listening to a tinny, low quality recording and then comparing it to a proper recording... but the only difference was in releasing my throat.

I think now that I know what the problem is, and how to fix it (i.e. tell myself, "STOP TENSING YOUR THROAT AND JUST SING" ), I think I am going to get SO much more productive work done in my practicing.

I do feel blessed that it's just been a 'practice' thing though... I know I don't do it in my lessons, and for that I'm grateful. Otherwise I would have been missing out on tons and tons of progress in my lessons.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-24-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #366
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Well, i didnt sing last night, mostly because at the late notice that i was asked, a classical accompanist couldn't be found. And it's just as well though, because i've been sick.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #367
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Well, i didnt sing last night, mostly because at the late notice that i was asked, a classical accompanist couldn't be found. And it's just as well though, because i've been sick.
Awww. That stinks . Both the sickness and the not getting to sing! I'm sorry that didn't pan out at all for you. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

I think I have FINALLY discovered some sense of legato in my singing!!!!!!!!!!!! I was practicing Now Sleeps The Crimson Petal tonight and it just wasn't satisfactory. The sound was shimmery, the vowels were placed well, and aside from just needing more time to get everything lined up correctly it was pretty decent... but it lacked feeling and it lacked any legato at all. I just couldn't connect anything together properly.

I was trying to sing with emotion, and while all of my stresses were falling in what felt like the right places, without the legato line it was just flat and meaningless... so I finally thought, "How would I whisper this into someone's ear if I were being the most suave, romantic person in the world?"

And that did it... somehow that caused me to mush a bunch of my words together (apparently I think suave = mushy diction? I don't understand my thought process AT ALL but I'm glad it happened ). I listened back to it and while it was a little too mushy and the vowels were too dark I suddenly realized that I had the correct idea. So I started 'smooshing' my words together (but not making them into an icky mess) and BOOM I had a decent legato line going!!! I am SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!! Using this legato line my emotion flows out SO much more freely into the music, and it makes the phrases easier to sing. Mostly I'm just so excited to be able to express myself better musically/emotionally... it's like... knowing a language, but you didn't have any pronouns or conjunctions, and now that you know a few you can communicate in more than stunted phrases.

One weird thing is that I apparently used a LOT more air... I almost didn't make it through a few of my phrases, but I assume that's just because I'm not used to the technique and I probably didn't use my air correctly/support properly.

Only I also feel kind of weird and guilty because the person I was thinking about whispering to is someone that I... erm... probably shouldn't be imagining whispering romantic things to for a variety of reasons. Oh well... It makes me feel a little sad and guilty to sing the song thinking that, but holy crap does it make the music sound a bajillion-million times better... and I want to communicate with my music so badly that I'm willing to put up with the other emotions.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #368
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
True enough. The timing actually couldn't have been worse anyway.

Quote:
I think I have FINALLY discovered some sense of legato in my singing!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAY!!!!! Isn't it a great feeling?

Quote:
So I started 'smooshing' my words together (but not making them into an icky mess) and BOOM I had a decent legato line going!!! I am SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!! Using this legato line my emotion flows out SO much more freely into the music, and it makes the phrases easier to sing. Mostly I'm just so excited to be able to express myself better musically/emotionally...

Are you familiar with the 'legato speech' exercise? If not, ask your teacher about it. It would help a great deal with experiencing legato.

Quote:
One weird thing is that I apparently used a LOT more air... I almost didn't make it through a few of my phrases, but I assume that's just because I'm not used to the technique and I probably didn't use my air correctly/support properly.
Probably. Remember to lean on that breath, instead of expending it out. Let the legato phrase ride on the cushion of air, instead of letting the air escape quickly. Don't hold on to it, just lean on it, work with it.

Quote:
Only I also feel kind of weird and guilty because the person I was thinking about whispering to is someone that I... erm... probably shouldn't be imagining whispering romantic things to for a variety of reasons. Oh well... It makes me feel a little sad and guilty to sing the song thinking that, but holy crap does it make the music sound a bajillion-million times better... and I want to communicate with my music so badly that I'm willing to put up with the other emotions.
Whatever gets you through the piece and allows you to sing it well, do it Remember what i said about inner dialogue. It can be anything! I can't tell you how many times i have 'sung to' some dashing Numenorean lord, or something Whatever you visualise to make the aria come out beautiful for you, work it.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #369
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Whatever gets you through the piece and allows you to sing it well, do it Remember what i said about inner dialogue. It can be anything! I can't tell you how many times i have 'sung to' some dashing Numenorean lord, or something Whatever you visualise to make the aria come out beautiful for you, work it.
Hehehehe . I've decided to go with it... The problem is that it's a person who I have been very adamant about not allowing myself to have romantic feelings for them. But I thought about something the teachers at my summer workshop talked about. They said that you do what you have to do on stage because that's business, and it's only if you find yourself allowing it to become a part of your regular life that it becomes a problem. So I'm going with that.

I'm reading Renee Fleming's book, which is absolutely FANTASTIC, and she has mentioned breath support several times. I think I keep forgetting about that, which is unfortunate for my voice. That nice 'high rib' thing I learned right at the end of my summer workshop is actually what Renee advocates, and I've noticed that it looks like a lot of the old singers used it too (i.e. Caballe, Domingo, Pavarotti, etc.) because if you look at them while they sing, they have a 'barrel chest' thing going on and their ribs never collapse.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can't link together the nice legato I'm starting to develop with keeping my ribs up and out. I have a feeling it will work pretty well, and I just wish I'd remembered it earlier.

Aaaanyways. I'm a bit sick again, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the antibiotics I'm on might be making me sick... it could just be a coincidence, but the day after I started taking the antibiotics I woke up congested. Also, I was hardcore congested for about two and a half hours after I took the antibiotic tonight, and then randomly my sinuses cleared up a little... I was laying in bed, and I hadn't shifted position or changed anything, but suddenly my sinuses started clearing up. If nothing is better and I'm still congested on Monday morning then I'm going to go back in to see the doctor.

I have a voice lesson tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. to make up for the one I had to skip today (couldn't really sing this morning, hopefully tomorrow will not be a repeat). Then at some point between 4-6 I'm supposed to sing two of my NATS pieces for the teachers/students.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #370
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
I'm reading Renee Fleming's book, which is absolutely FANTASTIC, and she has mentioned breath support several times. I think I keep forgetting about that, which is unfortunate for my voice. That nice 'high rib' thing I learned right at the end of my summer workshop is actually what Renee advocates, and I've noticed that it looks like a lot of the old singers used it too (i.e. Caballe, Domingo, Pavarotti, etc.) because if you look at them while they sing, they have a 'barrel chest' thing going on and their ribs never collapse.
I know what you're talking about. It's something my last teacher went over with me as well, but on me it's hard to see because i have a very small ribcage. On me it just looks like ballet posture. But there is this definite look and feel of the ribs being gently 'held out'. But it does make a difference in legato.

Quote:
Aaaanyways. I'm a bit sick again, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the antibiotics I'm on might be making me sick... it could just be a coincidence, but the day after I started taking the antibiotics I woke up congested. Also, I was hardcore congested for about two and a half hours after I took the antibiotic tonight, and then randomly my sinuses cleared up a little... I was laying in bed, and I hadn't shifted position or changed anything, but suddenly my sinuses started clearing up. If nothing is better and I'm still congested on Monday morning then I'm going to go back in to see the doctor.
I'd call them today. You might be allergic to the antibiotic, and that can be dangerous. I'm allergic to several antibiotics so i know how it is. Just make sure that's not the case, ok?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #371
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well, I dunno what to think of how I sang tonight so I'm trying not to judge myself too much till I see the video that one of the teachers took... overall I'm a little disappointed but I think I did okay.

Being sick is definitely not idea conditions, but I ended up oversinging big time. I think I pretty much just screamed out both pieces (the Quilter and the Handel), and I realized that I was doing it but I didn't have the... something... to back off and sing normally. I don't know what... the guts, probably. I felt like the hall was just swallowing up my voice and I couldn't make myself back off of the sound for fear it would vanish.

I think I just need to compete, audition, and perform more. Like... a lot more. I need to find a way to sing more often for an 'audience' so that my technique doesn't just fly out the window the minute I have to perform. I think maybe I also need to be more patient in my practicing.... I'm getting a lot done when I practice, and the sound is free, but I think I've let myself be lax and inconsistent in my practicing... i.e. not demanding good support/phrasing/etc. of myself -every- time I practice a phrase or sing through a piece.

Well, got to take the good with the bad. This was definitely a learning experience, and I'm going to try not to make the oversinging mistake at NATS. Onwards and upwards!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #372
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Being sick is definitely not idea conditions, but I ended up oversinging big time. I think I pretty much just screamed out both pieces (the Quilter and the Handel), and I realized that I was doing it but I didn't have the... something... to back off and sing normally. I don't know what... the guts, probably. I felt like the hall was just swallowing up my voice and I couldn't make myself back off of the sound for fear it would vanish.
Not familiar with the Quilter, but Handel.... Handel needs to be sung with finesse!

I can understand the oversinging/when sick thing, though (and at times, when sick, i've been guilty of undersinging). If your head was stuffed up, your hearing (not as if we can truly hear ourselves anyway, as you already know) was off. Times like these are exactly when you need to rely solely on sensation.

Quote:
I think I just need to compete, audition, and perform more. Like... a lot more. I need to find a way to sing more often for an 'audience' so that my technique doesn't just fly out the window the minute I have to perform.
Does your school have regular 'performance workshop' type classes? Usually these are required. They help a lot.

Quote:
I think maybe I also need to be more patient in my practicing.... I'm getting a lot done when I practice, and the sound is free, but I think I've let myself be lax and inconsistent in my practicing... i.e. not demanding good support/phrasing/etc. of myself -every- time I practice a phrase or sing through a piece.
Come on, we technique-nuts love that sort of thing Sometimes you can have the most fun in practice when you're working on technique. Remember that good technique is your vehicle for emotional freedom of expression.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #373
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm going in to see the doctor in just a few minutes. I'm about 90% sure that I'm allergic to the antibiotics. I didn't take any yesterday, and today my cords are so swollen I can barely speak -but- my sinuses are barely congested and I feel like I have less drainage.

I'm pretty sure it's the antibiotics... I was perfectly healthy (except for the rash on my arm) on Tuesday. Tuesday night I took the first pill, and Wednesday morning I woke up congested. Wednesday night when I was trying to sing in choir, my throat just felt weirdly dry even though I had been drinking even more water than usual. Thursday my congestion was even worse, and it was still really bad on Friday... I didn't take the antibiotics on Friday and this morning I woke up with almost no congestion.

It -could- be allergies. But that seems way too coincidental, doesn't it? That my allergies would synch up so perfectly with when I took the medicine?

Anyways, I'm going to go in and say something along the lines of, "Hi, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics AND my arm isn't any better. I have to sing at a competition on Friday, so I need you to fix me right now. Please."
Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #374
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Anyways, I'm going to go in and say something along the lines of, "Hi, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics AND my arm isn't any better. I have to sing at a competition on Friday, so I need you to fix me right now. Please."
I'm sure they'll 'fix you up' Antibiotic allergies can be scary. I've had allergic reactions ranging from being violently ill to head-to-toe hives. Not fun at all. And make sure they document the allergy, especially if there's any swelling involved, because often the second time you have the reaction can be life-threatening (and none of us want that! ).

I hope you're better soon!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #375
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Believe it or not, this illness has totally clicked my technique into a higher level of coordination. This morning in order to sing even the warmups I had to literally make every single thing I've been working on lately (the breath, the legato, the vowels, the forward placement, and really singing -through- the notes) simultaneously come together. The minute I let even one thing start to fall out of place, my voice would collapse almost completely. So despite a lack of good sleep these last few nights and being sick, I not only survived the three services but my voice was actually in -better- shape at the end than when I started.

My coach was absolutely thrilled to see the difference... he noticed how I had almost no speaking voice, but could actually sing more 'evenly' and with more ease than when I was healthy. My tone quality wasn't great, and every once in a while my voice would crackle for a second, but the quality of the tone was consistent through my low and high voice.

I'm actually SO glad that I've been sick now, because I think this was what I needed to show me that I actually -can- put everything together if I just believe I can do it. I think when I get my voice back (hopefully by Tuesday morning) things are going to be better than ever.

Last edited by Tessar : 11-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #376
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Sometimes the strangest things can lead to a breakthrough!

I've had the same experience with learning things about my body relating to singing and support through lots of crying. Sometimes even an adverse circumstance can teach you things about yourself as a singer, that you can then take with you into your normal singing life.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #377
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
This morning in order to sing even the warmups I had to literally make every single thing I've been working on lately (the breath, the legato, the vowels, the forward placement, and really singing -through- the notes) simultaneously come together. The minute I let even one thing start to fall out of place, my voice would collapse almost completely.
But you managed to keep everything in place, to use everything you have learnt - that's wonderful! I guess it still takes an effort to do it, but you are able to make that effort, even when you're sick - that's amazing!

It really is interesting to follow your development. I only wish I could hear you some time - not just on youtube, even though that would be better than nothing ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #378
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
But you managed to keep everything in place, to use everything you have learnt - that's wonderful! I guess it still takes an effort to do it, but you are able to make that effort, even when you're sick - that's amazing!

It really is interesting to follow your development. I only wish I could hear you some time - not just on youtube, even though that would be better than nothing ...
I've change a lot of things very quickly. Fortunately that means that when everything comes together I can sing pretty well. Unfortunately that means that almost nothing is an ingrained habit yet, so if I forget to think about doing one of the things we've worked on, it ain't gonna happen on its own .

I am so inspired to work harder than ever. Somehow making the simi-finals has lit a fire under me that even Pirates didn't. It was much more intimidating and difficult. That makes it mean even more to me.

This success has taught me a lot about what I'm capable of, and I feel like it was the validation I've been wanting so desperately. It's like someone (or, you know, three judges ) said, "you're not a crappy singer, you're making progress, and you can do this."

The only thing that makes me feel a little 'desperate' is that the truly great singers have something to 'say' when they sing. They sing, "with an opinion," as one of the master class guys said. It's not even so much singing with emotion... it's much more than that.

I heard a LOT of great academic singing at the competition, but only a tiny handful of the singers had any real charisma in their performance, and I feel like I still lack that charisma. Without that I will never sing the way I want to... and I know that has to come from within me. I need to discover how to express myself better musically.

And HEY.... on the super-duper plus side, my parents are pretty much resigned to the fact that I am probably not going to graduate and start teaching . They've been incredibly supportive lately, and tonight my dad said, "You know, I think it's becoming pretty obvious that you're not headed for a career as a teacher." I am still going to get my education degree, because it's the smart thing to do, and everyone 'in the biz' that I've talked to has told me that it's a very smart move, but it's looking more and more like the performance path is what I may be headed for.

Last edited by Tessar : 11-08-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #379
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
I am so inspired to work harder than ever. Somehow making the simi-finals has lit a fire under me that even Pirates didn't. It was much more intimidating and difficult. That makes it mean even more to me.

This success has taught me a lot about what I'm capable of, and I feel like it was the validation I've been wanting so desperately.
Congratulations, Tessar! This is the first i've seen of this. Awesome!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #380
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Thanks .

I think it was so important to me, because it sort of eased my fears of being 'bad' for someone of my category. I don't think I would have made simi-finals if that were the case... I'm still far from where I want to be at this point, but I don't think I'm as horribly 'behind' as I was afraid I was in my vocal technique.