Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #341
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Why not just load it all into a few hundred rockets and launch them right into the sun?

Yeah, we could send the nuclear waste, and a whole truckload of carbon emitting fuel to the sun. Two birds with one stone, you might say.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #342
Mari
Elf Lady

ignoring all the waste you create when sending a rocket up... would it be safe to send stuff into the sun anyway? Wouldn't want the thing to im/explode on us!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #343
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The cost is prohibitive - it costs 4000 dollars to send 2 pounds into space.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #344
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Logistical impossibilities aside, if that transport gets to the sun in the first place, I'd say the toughest part of the whole things is over.

But what if the rocket doesn't even get cleared past the atmosphere? Then a giant dirty bomb with nuclear waste comes down back on our heads. That's probably what we deserve by then, but it won't be pretty either way.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #345
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
The cost is prohibitive - it costs 4000 dollars to send 2 pounds into space.
Only because it is not a major industry. Cars would cost a fortune if we only made a handful every year.

Plus, nuclear waste storage costs aren't exactly small.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #346
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Two words: Challenger, Columbia
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #347
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

There's ways around those fears as well. Set up the launch sites in an area where a failure wouldn't be as catastrophic (i.e. the old nuclear testing sites in the midwest).

Remember, nuclear waste in a rocket does not make it a nuclear missle.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #348
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Haven't any of you watched Space 1999? It'll only end in tears, people!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #349
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Well then my original idea of burning the stuff with concentrated sunlight would be much better.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #350
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Logistical impossibilities aside, if that transport gets to the sun in the first place, I'd say the toughest part of the whole things is over.

But what if the rocket doesn't even get cleared past the atmosphere? Then a giant dirty bomb with nuclear waste comes down back on our heads. That's probably what we deserve by then, but it won't be pretty either way.
Wouldn't that just be a hilariously absurd way for humanity to go?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #351
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Wouldn't that just be a hilariously absurd way for humanity to go?
It wouldnt kill us off. It may not even kill anyone. The problem is it would be a huge nightmare of a clean up job probably stretching over a continent or two and/or an ocean or two. Once it was in ballistic orbit you couldnt as easily control where it came back to earth.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #352
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
It wouldnt kill us off. It may not even kill anyone. The problem is it would be a huge nightmare of a clean up job probably stretching over a continent or two and/or an ocean or two.
Depends how much you send up, I'd imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Once it was in ballistic orbit you couldnt as easily control where it came back to earth.
They were talking about sending it to the sun. There was no plan of a return voyage to Earth.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #353
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Lasers!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #354
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I love that this is called "The Science thread."

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #355
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
They were talking about sending it to the sun. There was no plan of a return voyage to Earth.
Yeah but the point is IF it doesnt make it out of orbit... It comes down.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #356
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

And you couldn't control its landfall as easily that way. Okay, I see what you're saying now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
I love that this is called "The Science thread."
Yeah really .
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Lol.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #357
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
One of my teachers once said he was against transplants of hearts etc. because that disrupts the natural balance. In nature the weakest die and the strongest survive. In our society we try to bend nature to our wills and that's why we have overpopulation of the planet pending.
Or so he said.
I think he has a point, but if it's my mother needing someone else's liver, I don't think I'll be able to see it his way.
Stemcell research is the same. They try to accomplish something that is not natural. I'm sure a lot of people can be helped if it works, but I'm not so sure if it's the right thing to do.
Haha! Wow...
I completely disagree with him. I think we are given the ability to exercise control over nature to use it to our advantage. The planet is overpopulated, sure, but that's only because we're not using our other powers over nature to combat it: we should immediately begin to build floating cities on the water, which isn't really as difficult as it may sound, and soon after the first is built (in the Pacific Ocean just west of the Galapagos Islands), the (first) Space Elevator should be built.
The only reason we are facing global crises is because of capitalism, which is obviously failing miserably, and a corporate frame-of-mind, which seeks profits over the good of the people as a whole. We need to colonize other planets and start society anew, and correctly, so Earth can follow these other planets' examples.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #358
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You don't think these giant honkin' floating cities of yours are gonna have an impact on the existing eco-systems? Haven't we done enough damage breaking up natural cooridors & niches?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #359
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
You don't think these giant honkin' floating cities of yours are gonna have an impact on the existing eco-systems? Haven't we done enough damage breaking up natural cooridors & niches?
Well, that's no problem to circumvent. We need more environmental engineers, and chemists and bioengineers, and we release life forms that counteract the damage we have done with "suicide genes" to prevent their spread.

And as for the floating cities, well, let's just say that they wouldn't need cars because they'd not be big enough, they'd have nearly unlimited resources that they'd mine without damaging the environment, courtesy of some new technology and an aweful lot of money (although, hopefully, money wouldn't be in use any longer, in favor of a fairer and more reliable alternative).

Not to say that the social and economic changes wouldn't be extremely difficult. We just need world leaders that put these big corporate criminals in prison when they commit crimes against humanity, combined with an international "super-union" solidarity movement, and we'd have the foundations. The next thing that would have to go underway (even long before abolishing currency) is vast funding of the sciences, in favor of military and the like.

The difficulties are extreme, as I said before. So what needs to be done is a colonization effort, of other planets in our solar system, where resources would have to be used communally and sparingly. Such a mindset would prevail at such locations, and so very "fair" societies would pop up of their own accord by being given a blank slate.
They would, however, have to remove a sense of connection with Earth in any way, a sort of super-nationalism that would drive them for independence.

Such events were played out in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and probably reflect how such changes would begin in general. Much of my early thinking along such lines is rooted in fictional Bogdanovism anyway.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #360
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What complete... idealistic pap. You didn't even answer my question re: disrupting ecosystems & breaking up natural corridors.