Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 12:13 PM   #341
TinuvielChild
Padawan

RÃ*an: Yes! Exactly! The word you missed is
used
. Yeah, I think it looks much, much better with the stems on those letters below the line. Cleaner, somehow. It flows more, I think.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-30-2002, 01:16 AM   #342
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Ok, I going to traslate TC's tengwar. I hope I don't need my cheat sheet.

Tinuviel Child is bored. Hi, Rian, I'm getting the t's, d's, p's and b's right? I didn't have my other pens handy so I ?? a dry erase marker, it looks wierd.

Aggh, stupid me, I still need my cheat sheet. One word I couldn't make out, probably the one Rian didn't know. I am working my own tengwar on microsoft paint. Hopefully I'll post it soon!

Edit: I just checked the unknown word, makes sense now!

Last edited by cassiopeia : 11-30-2002 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:44 PM   #343
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Hello!

I just wrote some tengwar, but my scanner is having problems, so I can't show you any tengwar now. oh well, you will just have to wait.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 11-30-2002, 05:57 PM   #344
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Good job translating, Cass! Just keep writing and eventually you won't need your cheat sheet anymore. The nice thing about Tengwar is you can scribble while you're in line, or waiting in your car, or wherever. I just kept my cheat sheet, a blank piece of paper and a pen in my purse and I could pull it out whenever I was in a waiting-type situation anywhere, like grocery story, etc.

Hey, guys - Ms. Undomial and I met at archery today! It was so fun! She did a really good job shooting, too! We'll hopefully be able to both start shooting regularly by mid-December, when her ballet classes are over and my kids' soccer games are over.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:43 PM   #345
katya
Elven Maiden

I was in the mall in Canada the other day adn there were a whole bunch of different covers of LotR books, and on one TTT there was tengwar writing, and I could read it! It made my whole day....well not really. But it was cool. It said "in the land of mordor where the shadows lie".
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 PM   #346
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, that's really cool, katya! How fun!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-02-2002, 09:55 PM   #347
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah! i was so excited! i wondered if anyone would notice that i could read it ( i mean i was all excited, being a bit hyper at the time to begin with...) but no one did. It was fun though.

I finally converted to writing my regular diary in tengwar. I wasnt before because it was lost... but i am now. its cool because i can write fast enough so it's not tedious, and more importantly, no one can read it! yay!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:13 PM   #348
Rían

whoa - a week without Tengwar posts! I'll try to write something and attach it later tonight....

Old 12-11-2002, 03:16 PM   #349
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I wrote my history notes in Tengwar the other day...the teacher was dictating. It was weird, but I could actually keep up with him! It was amazing. Now I've got three pages of Tengwar writing in my History notebook, and since our teacher checks our notebooks every once in a while...this should be highly amusing.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM   #350
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
I wrote my history notes in Tengwar the other day...the teacher was dictating. It was weird, but I could actually keep up with him! It was amazing. Now I've got three pages of Tengwar writing in my History notebook, and since our teacher checks our notebooks every once in a while...this should be highly amusing.
We'd get positively mullered for doing that at school!!! I can see my classics teacher hitting the roof if she suddenly saw the history of roman britain written in Tengwar- actually, it might be a bit of fun and a wonderful revenge tactic for that nasty essay I had to write for her tonight!! Hmmm? Mx
Old 12-11-2002, 10:06 PM   #351
Rían

whew, that's fast writing, TC! I think you're better than I am

OK, here's an attachment - I changed the way I closed the bows, I did it the opposite direction. I also changed the direction of the curve on the 'k', so now all stems curve to the left. Also, I hung a pretty funky looking s-curl off of a short vowel carrier. Just a little something new!
Attached Images
File Type: gif two_gif.gif (8.3 KB, 22 views)

Old 12-11-2002, 11:53 PM   #352
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I can't wait! Only a few more days until The Two Towers!
Have you given up on the 'preceded by nasal of the same column' thing?

Oh, and I'm only that fast because I'm constantly writing in Tengwar, so I get oodles and oodles of practice. And it's not as pretty as yours is anyway, RÃ*an!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:09 AM   #353
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Rian:
I can't wait! Only a few more days until the two towers!

Yay, I did it without my cheat sheet, even though I havn't practised for a few days. Lucky for you, Rian, I have to wait till December 26!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:58 AM   #354
TinuvielChild
Padawan

This may have been answered already; but how would you people write the words "you" and "may"? I've tried a few different ways, but I hate using the vowel carriers...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #355
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

I like it Rian! It is so pretty! I am so inspired by your tengwa, that I am going to go write some and post it here ASAP!!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 12-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #356
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Hello! here is my Tengwar; not nearly as good as Rian's or TC's, but I am slowly improving (I think.). btw, Happy Birthday Katya!! May the Hair on your feet never fall out!
Attached Images
File Type: gif my tengwar...gif (6.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 12-12-2002 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:37 AM   #357
Rían

Katya - I had written out a happy birthday note in Tengwar to attach, but I'm having all sorts of problems with Entmoot now, as are several other people - my posts keep disappearing! I know cass is having that problem, is anyone else?

Happy birthday anyway, and I'll try to attach the note tomorrow. I hope this post stays....I'll get back to you guys tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:43 AM   #358
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Here is something I copied and pasted in paintbrush, just something silly I wrote. I hope it works (the moot has been acting wierd the last few days...)

Rian, I see your post. Yippee!!

Edit: Ok, it didn't work, I'll try some other time.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 12-13-2002 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 PM   #359
Telperion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Hey, Telperion, thanks for posting! It's so fun hearing from other Tengwar writers Are you memorizing it yourself? You and your sister could certainly write notes to each other - how nice! I just usually toss mine, I have no one to give it to (except now that Ms. U and I are going to meet at archery, I can give her a note )

How interesting about the Japanese/Russian/Polish/orkish! To me, it looks more middle-eastern, like Farsi. Japanese and Russian seem more angular to me. Have you two checked out the samples that TC and I have posted? We really like how you can make it your own individual style, as long as the basic elements (bow and stem) are recognizable.

That reminds me, cass, I was going to ask you if you had seen the attachments we had posted several pages back. There's probably 5 or 6, along with "spoiler-ed" out translations. You were mentioning that you wanted things to translate.

Well, keep posting, everyone! I think I'll write something new and scan it in, I haven't done that for awhile.
Hi! I'm back again. I've been really busy the last while so I haven't visited here for a long time.
Yes, I am attenpting to memorize Tengwar. It isn't as difficult as I thought it was.
I couldn't help noticing that you mentioned that you were meeting Mrs. U. at archery. Do you actually do archery? That is soo cool. I would love to learn myself but I don't have time.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Old 12-13-2002, 06:49 PM   #360
Telperion
Enting

It's me again!
I tried to translate Mrs. U's Tengwar and I would have written what I got up here except I don;t know how to do that highlight thing that hides whqt you write until it's highlighted. Oh well.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Closed Thread